Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School patronage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

smacl wrote: »
    lazygal wrote: »
    Because its not a child centred after school activity open to all. Hardly equality based.

A school, in the ET sense, is the student body, teachers and parents more so than the building. I used to hire hall space in our local ET as a training space for a full contact Chinese martial arts club, which was neither child centred nor equality based. Would you have a similar problem to that?
    Why wasn't it equality based?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

what do you mean by individuals plural, the principal is the one who makes decisions?

Not necessarily.

While the Principal is responsible for the day to day running of the school, a decision like this would be decided at Board of Management level, who are responsible for the management of the school and are supposed to act in the best interests of the school community.

This incident that has drawn the attention of the national media is but a symptom of an underlying issue that’s been affecting the school for some time now (at least since last year when the whole school evaluation was carried out by the DES inspectorate).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Not necessarily.

While the Principal is responsible for the day to day running of the school, a decision like this would be decided at Board of Management level, who are responsible for the management of the school and are supposed to act in the best interests of the school community.

This incident that has drawn the attention of the national media is but a symptom of an underlying issue that’s been affecting the school for some time now (at least since last year when the whole school evaluation was carried out by the DES inspectorate).

the board of management hire outside educational contracters? or would perhaps approve the spending once the principal has decided? perhaps even retrospectively

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

lazygal wrote: »
    Why wasn't it equality based?

Squad training sessions for an existing all male competition team. There were mixed open classes in the club, but this wasn't one of them.

the board of management hire outside educational contracters? or would perhaps approve the spending once the principal has decided? perhaps even retrospectively

The Board would develop the schools Relationships and Sexuality in Education policy as well as discussing whether or not to outsource parts or indeed all of the delivery of RSE. It would appear in relation to 5th and 6th class specifically, the Board decided that all or part of RSE modules would be delivered by Accord -

An external facilitator from Accord will deliver all or part of the 5th & 6th class modules.

The Principal in their capacity as Secretary on the Board of Management would have an equal say as anyone else on the Board, but the Chair of the Board is ultimately responsible for any final decisions in relation to policies or finances. The school in question don’t publish their accounts publicly.

It was also discussed at PA level where apparently there were a number of facilitators suggested -

RSE policy sub-committee:

RSE subcommittee looking at best model of engagement to be used with parents. A number of parents have put their names forward to get involved. They will be contacted by RSE subcommittee shortly.
    In advance of parental involvement, RSE Subcommittee is currently working with teachers on the teaching content of the RSE programme.
    RSE Subcommittee advised that a number of facilitators are being looked at for delivering the RSE course. A comparison will be carried out between the various providers.

Rather than direct correspondence with the Principal, the Chair of the PA should have addressed their concerns to the Board of Management.

• Advertisement

The Board would develop the schools Relationships and Sexuality in Education policy as well as discussing whether or not to outsource parts or indeed all of the delivery of RSE. It would appear in relation to 5th and 6th class specifically, the Board decided that all or part of RSE modules would be delivered by Accord -

An external facilitator from Accord will deliver all or part of the 5th & 6th class modules.

The Principal in their capacity as Secretary on the Board of Management would have an equal say as anyone else on the Board, but the Chair of the Board is ultimately responsible for any final decisions in relation to policies or finances. The school in question don’t publish their accounts publicly.

It was also discussed at PA level where apparently there were a number of facilitators suggested -

RSE policy sub-committee:

RSE subcommittee looking at best model of engagement to be used with parents. A number of parents have put their names forward to get involved. They will be contacted by RSE subcommittee shortly.
    In advance of parental involvement, RSE Subcommittee is currently working with teachers on the teaching content of the RSE programme.
    RSE Subcommittee advised that a number of facilitators are being looked at for delivering the RSE course. A comparison will be carried out between the various providers.

Rather than direct correspondence with the Principal, the Chair of the PA should have addressed their concerns to the Board of Management.
    the principal is the full time executive of the school are they not? the BOM are just volunteers, I thoughts boards are just oversight to an executive.

the principal is the full time executive of the school are they not? the BOM are just volunteers, I thoughts boards are just oversight to an executive.

Possibly changes a bit from school to school, I'm certainly aware of the BoM having their own agenda and applying pressure to the principal to implement it in one case.

smacl wrote: »
    Possibly changes a bit from school to school, I'm certainly aware of the BoM having their own agenda and applying pressure to the principal to implement it in one case.

yes of course boards can apply pressure, but the executive decides, that is my impression of how executives and boards work?

yes of course boards can apply pressure, but the executive decides, that is my impression of how executives and boards work?

I think there can be a sizable gap between how things should work and how they actually work in practice.

I’m trying to understand the context of what you mean by “full time executive of the school”. The Principal is responsible for the day to day running of the school, providing oversight in their capacity as Principal of the school. The Board of Management then take on their roles in what is a voluntary capacity, and provide oversight for the school community as a whole.

So in this case for example, the Principal wouldn’t have come up with the RSE policy for the school community on their own, it would have been discussed at Board of Management level and signed off by the members of the BOM. The Principal of the school isn’t acting in their capacity as the Principal of the school in relation to their duties and responsibilities as a member of the BOM. In this particular circumstance they are the Secretary of the Board.

The Executive, I suppose, if I’m understanding your point correctly, in this case would be Educate Together, who are the Patron body of the school, and they appear to suggest that they have no authority over how individual schools under their patronage deliver the RSE -

In a statement Educate Together said while it did not have the authority to require schools under its patronage to deliver the programme in any specific way it would be writing to all of those schools to ask them to ensure that the subject is delivered in a way that is "consistent with its ethos and free from religious bias". 

It said it had been contacted by parents and "takes this issue very seriously". 

Referring to parents at Castleknock Educate Together school, it said its national office was currently looking at all options "in its capacity as a school patron to support the school community involved". 

It said wanted to stress that the contracting of external agencies by a school was a matter for the board of management of an individual school.

It’s all a bit bizarre, frankly, and without knowing whether or not Accord were invited to give a presentation as one of many outside organisations chosen, by way of eliminating religious bias by offering a number of perspectives, or whether they were the only organisation contacted and the teachers would fulfil the outstanding requirements of the curriculum, it’s difficult to understand what is going on there tbh.

I can understand that some parents would object specifically to Accord being involved, and I could understand if the explanation by the BOM was that they were being inclusive of all perspectives in the interests of reducing bias and fostering diversity and understanding of people of different beliefs and cultures, which would align with the ET ethos.

I’m leaning more towards giving the BOM the benefit of the doubt as opposed to imagining there was anything untoward in anyone’s motives, but rather good intentions that appear to have backfired in an unspectacular fashion, stirred up by the national media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,165 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sex education is drip-fed, obscured or denied in Irish schools
    Modernising the curriculum shouldn’t be a challenge. The issues have been identified yet the final barrier is the slippery loophole of “ethos”. Ethos and its incompatibility with modern teaching is the excuse offered by countless schools as the reason for allowing Irish teenagers to dwell in naivet

Ethos is a moralistic pleading of the fifth. However, in an Ireland where contraception is available, same-sex marriage legalised and the Eighth A,emd,emt repealed, this word is a vestige of sanctioned prejudice.

Ethos is no longer a neutral word. It is a loaded term that enables religious schools to ignore their duties as educators; a fail-safe clause used to eschew responsibility for including and de-stigmatising LGBT+ individuals; a term that cultivates a paralysing fear of STIs to support abstinence-focused teaching, and which prioritises a culture of silence surrounding the issue of consent.

Sexual education is essential. Yet this knowledge is often drip fed, obscured or denied.

In the name of ethos, this vital wisdom is allowed to fall through the cracks. Following the recent review it is crucial to remember that when sexual education is not adequately provided, it is to all of our detriment.

On the same page of yesterday's IT, an article on becoming a teacher -

How do I become a teacher at primary or second level?

No mention of the certificate in catholic education required to teach in 90% of primary schools, or the obligation to teach religious myth as fact.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I’m trying to understand the context of what you mean by “full time executive of the school”. The Principal is responsible for the day to day running of the school, providing oversight in their capacity as Principal of the school. The Board of Management then take on their roles in what is a voluntary capacity, and provide oversight for the school community as a whole.

So in this case for example, the Principal wouldn’t have come up with the RSE policy for the school community on their own, it would have been discussed at Board of Management level and signed off by the members of the BOM. The Principal of the school isn’t acting in their capacity as the Principal of the school in relation to their duties and responsibilities as a member of the BOM. In this particular circumstance they are the Secretary of the Board.

The Executive, I suppose, if I’m understanding your point correctly, in this case would be Educate Together, who are the Patron body of the school, and they appear to suggest that they have no authority over how individual schools under their patronage deliver the RSE -

In a statement Educate Together said while it did not have the authority to require schools under its patronage to deliver the programme in any specific way it would be writing to all of those schools to ask them to ensure that the subject is delivered in a way that is "consistent with its ethos and free from religious bias".

It said it had been contacted by parents and "takes this issue very seriously".

Referring to parents at Castleknock Educate Together school, it said its national office was currently looking at all options "in its capacity as a school patron to support the school community involved".

It said wanted to stress that the contracting of external agencies by a school was a matter for the board of management of an individual school.

It’s all a bit bizarre, frankly, and without knowing whether or not Accord were invited to give a presentation as one of many outside organisations chosen, by way of eliminating religious bias by offering a number of perspectives, or whether they were the only organisation contacted and the teachers would fulfil the outstanding requirements of the curriculum, it’s difficult to understand what is going on there tbh.

I can understand that some parents would object specifically to Accord being involved, and I could understand if the explanation by the BOM was that they were being inclusive of all perspectives in the interests of reducing bias and fostering diversity and understanding of people of different beliefs and cultures, which would align with the ET ethos.

I’m leaning more towards giving the BOM the benefit of the doubt as opposed to imagining there was anything untoward in anyone’s motives, but rather good intentions that appear to have backfired in an unspectacular fashion, stirred up by the national media.
    executive as in chief executive officer of the school.

this argument has been apparently going on for years....

Saw this incident being reported on Sky News this morning from Birmingham in the UK. I’d imagine that politicians and other interested parties including the DES are keeping a keen eye on developments in the UK in relation to relationships and sex education in schools there -

‘We can’t give in’: the Birmingham school on the frontline of anti-LGBT protests

One thing from the article I do agree with is that outside the school gates is no place for protests (something that I also disagreed with in the recent case regarding the ET school here) -

The education secretary, Damian Hinds, said it was unacceptable that children at Anderton Park were missing out on education because of the threat of protests. “There is no place for protests outside school gates. They can frighten children, intimidate staff and parents and, in the worst cases, be hijacked by individuals with a vested interest and no links to the schools. It is time for these protests to stop.

Interesting side-story too about Trojan horse: the real story behind the fake 'Islamic plot' to take over schools (reminded me of HD’s earlier conspiracy theories about Catholics “infiltrating” ET schools), but the lack of diversity and under-representation of people of other ethnicities and cultures among the teaching profession in Ireland hasn’t gone unnoticed -

Diversity gap: ‘There are no Muslim, Asian or Indian teachers’.

I think this is an important point that a lot of people appear to be missing because they’re too invested in the politics of these issues -

Raihana Zeroug, a sixth-year student from south Dublin who wants to become a primary school teacher, says having teachers who reflect the diversity of the classroom is hugely important for pupils.

“They’ll think ‘if my teacher’s more diverse, then so are we,’” says Zeroug, who is Muslim.

“It will open their minds to other nationalities and cultures and will make them feel like everyone else. If my teacher is like that, then it’s normal,” she adds.

Anissa Majeed, a Muslim from the UK who trained to work as a teacher in Ireland, agrees.

She graduated with a joint degree in English and history from University College Dublin in 2009 and went on to qualify as a secondary school teacher. She did a year of teacher training in Loreto High School Beaufort in Rathfarnham, Dublin.

“I was probably one of the first Muslim women they’d [the pupils] ever spoken to in their life, and maybe ever will, for some of them,” she says.

“It always takes more effort to change an adult opinion whereas kids, they might be a little bit apprehensive of you at first but once they get to know you, they’re like ‘oh she’s just normal’ and that’s it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I know this may sound a bit defeatist, but I don't see the situation in Ireland ever being fully resolved. We've a culture of teachers who are educated almost entirely in a very conservative religious context and a notion that primary and secondary education have something to do with religious practices and churches.

We seem incapable of seeing schools as an open public service and I think as society becomes more and more diverse due to people being more strongly individualistic and due to migration you will just see schools becoming a place where society grows its fractures rather than a melting pot where everyone meets everyone else.

If we look at Northern Ireland, sectarian segregation in education has been a key component in feeding the conflict by creating an "us" and "them".

I have honestly given up on the school system here. It won't change and it is willing to retreat to a bunker and resist and twist any kind of discussion.

So I guess in a couple of decades time Ireland will just have all the ingredients for social exclusion, a fractured society and a dysfunctional and expensive school system with umpteen factions all running their own institutions to enforce what is basically a long established and very toxic culture of sectarianism that we just don't like to discuss or accept exists.

We pretend it's normal. It really isn't. Most countries have proper public schools.

The first step to dealing with seciatianianism it to recognise it exists and call it what it is!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Odhinn wrote: »
    A guide to the "concentration camps of the future" with Gemma O'Doherty
    Ms O'Doherty also tweeted about the "changing face" of a tiny two-class school in Longford town. The tweet was picked up by two neo-fascists, firstly an account named "Ashton Blaise", then by Richard Spencer - he of Nazi salute fame.

The school in question is controlled by methodists and it seems reasonable to believe that the high proportion of colored kids is either because they're all methodists, or because the local catholic-controlled school pushed them to the far side of the country's final baptism barrier.

The tweets concerned are below and one can only assume that the school has just had to batten down its hatches, lock its doors and bolts its gates until this O'Doherty-derived twitterstorm blows over.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1133050273100910595

https://twitter.com/ashtonbirdie/status/1133167958140653569

https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/1133205287106621440

What a bunch of [CENSORED]

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What a bunch of [CENSORED]
    Unbelievably, GO'D manages to lower her tone substantially further:

https://twitter.com/DumbartonOne/status/1134218744258007041

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1134195538457497601

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A Dublin multi-denominational school has cancelled plans to bring in a Catholic agency to teach children about sexuality and relationships after sustained protests from parents over the past two weeks.
    The principal of Castleknock Educate Together primary school, Aedín Ní Thuathil, has written to parents telling them that Accord will not now be providing the RSE module for fifth and sixth classes and that an alternative provider has been sourced.
    The decision follows demonstrations outside the school and other protests by parents since late last month after the school announced that Accord, which was established by the Catholic bishops, would deliver the programme to pupils later this month.
    Accord has delivered the programme at the multi-denominational school for the past number of years, despite growing opposition from parents and formal opposition this year from the school's parent teacher association.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0608/1054194-castleknock-school/

robindch wrote: »

Any sympathy she might have had for her situation is long gone at this stage.

A Dublin multi-denominational school has cancelled plans to bring in a Catholic agency to teach children about sexuality and relationships after sustained protests from parents over the past two weeks.

Accord will shortly be coming in to my kids' CoI school, though. Teacher has told us they will not be putting forward a catholic viewpoint. I sincerely doubt that...

• Advertisement

Accord will shortly be coming in to my kids' CoI school, though. Teacher has told us they will not be putting forward a catholic viewpoint. I sincerely doubt that...

They believe they answer to a "higher cause", which in essence allows them to lie as much as suits them to get their nonsense across. I've no trust in any organisation thats affiliated to the church as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

They believe they answer to a "higher cause", which in essence allows them to lie as much as suits them to get their nonsense across. I've no trust in any organisation thats affiliated to the church as a result.

Is that used as a justification by Catholic groups in general? I know some people who received unsolicited "pro- life" literature a few years ago. Only one person could have sent it/ arranged for it to be sent. But this person denied it, which I thought was odd for someone who is extremely religious.

patsman07 wrote: »
    Is that used as a justification by Catholic groups in general? I know some people who received unsolicited "pro- life" literature a few years ago. Only one person could have sent it/ arranged for it to be sent. But this person denied it, which I thought was odd for someone who is extremely religious.

Being religious does not imply being honest or trustworthy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I wonder why a multi-d school would use a Catholic agency to deliver some RSE?Something seems off.

The CoI my kids go to does too.

Most teachers don't want to touch this with a bargepole and I'm not sure what other providers if any are out there.

I wouldn't trust Accord myself, and we considered withdrawing our child, but we'll find out soon enough whether they are putting a 'spin' on it in non-catholic schools, and we will probably prime our kid with a few awkward questions to ask ;)
    I disagree that “ most teachers “ won’t teach the more sensitive parts of the RSE curriculum, we have never had any issue since the current curriculum was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Accord did the sex ed talk when my daughter was in 4th year. They weren't allowed ask questions and it had a very pro marriage, pro life and anti lgbt slant. She ended up walking out. This is a few years ago now and obviously an older age group but it would be interesting to know if they have changed.

Did this one drift by?

Bishops imply that opt-out for religious education disadvantages students. Department agrees. Removes opt-out.

Anyway, just over a year old this story, but the long and the short of it is that in February 2018, the Department of Education sent out a circular to schools saying that students who didn't want classes in religious education should be facilitated and, therefore, timetabled for alternate subjects:
    The key change is that those who do not want instruction in [...] religion should be timetabled for alternative tuition [...] rather than supervised study or other activities.

A few weeks later, our learned bishops replied with some irritation:
    [...] those who continue to take religious education should not be disadvantaged in terms of the examinable curriculum by offering those who do not take religious education additional classes in an examinable curricular subject or by offering them another examinable curricular subject. Students must not be disadvantaged for taking religious education.
    A second circular from the Department of Education in October said that parents had to opt-in to religious education classes on behalf of their kids but that if they were following the NCCA religious education curriculum, which requires teachers not to proselytize, then that's not really religion classes at all, and therefore, there's no option to opt-out:
    [...] where a school intends to provide religious instruction/faith formation, parents must give consent before admission to the class. This means that opt out does not arise because the parent has requested a place in the religious instruction class. [...] classes following the NCCA Religious Education syllabuses cannot have any element of religious instruction or worship, which also means that opt out does not arise.
    Therefore, regardless of which course you are doing, you can no longer opt-out.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem.

I'm sure this was discussed at the time, I seem to recall you yourself taking part Robin!

- This applies to ETB schools only (those ETB schools which are not already non-denominational.)
    - If religious instruction is opt-in, then saying an opt-out doesn't arise is technically correct. Nonetheless the real issue concerns what happens to the kids who are not taking part in religious instruction.
    - Whether religious education is NCCA syllabus or not, parents (or pupils over 18) still have a right to opt-out and so the question of supervision or alternative activities still arises.

A total cop-out, but this is the Department of Education we're talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

This is among the most important tipping point issues in the campaign for secular education. It has the potential to change the culture in ETB schools.

Atheist Ireland was involved in lobbying for the first circular letter. We met the Department and had several of our priorities included in it.

It was then undermined by opposition from a coalition of the Catholic Bishops, the ETBs, ETBI, the TUI, and the Religion Teachers Association.

The Department caved in and issued the second circular letter. We are still campaigning to have the second circular letter reversed.

Here is the chronology of what happened (and what is still happening):

The right to opt out of religion classes is not enough to respect parents’ convictions

Education Minister responds to Atheist Ireland FOI documents; promises new guidelines on opting out of religion

FOI documents reveal Atheist Ireland’s impact on review of religion in ETB schools

Atheist Ireland welcomes proposed opt-out from religious instruction in ETB schools

Atheist Ireland, Evangelical Alliance, Ahmadi Muslims welcome opt-out from religion in ETB schools

New directive on religious instruction will change the culture of ETB schools

How the State Religious Education Course breaches Human and Constitutional Rights

The right to opt out of the State Religious Education course in ETB secondary schools

How the State Religious Education course disrespects the rights of atheist and secular families

Atheist Ireland asks TUI to withdraw threat to undermine the rights of parents and children

Despite TUI claims, the Directive on alternatives to religious education did not come out of the blue

New Atheist Ireland report: How ETB schools religiously discriminate without accountability

Despite TUI claims, the Directive on alternatives to religious education can be implemented

Atheist Ireland will help parents to resist TUI attempts to undermine directive on religious education

Catholic Church admits studying religion is a disadvantage, but wants the State to impose it anyway

The State Religious Education course is Religious Instruction, and is not objective

How ETBs are using word play to deny students an alternative to religion

New Circular Letter for religion in ETB schools? Atheist Ireland to meet Department of Education

Department confirms to Atheist Ireland that students CAN opt out from NCCA religion course in ETB schools

Despite denials, ETB schools and TUI do have the resources to offer alternative classes to religion

Why ETB schools should give an alternative subject to students who opt out from the NCCA religion course

The Constitutional right to opt out of the State religion course

How State Schools Break The Rules – New Report from Atheist Ireland

The Minister for Education should enforce the right to opt out of the NCCA Religious Education course

Atheist Ireland holds protest outside TUI National Congress to protect the right to opt out of religion class

Supreme Court judgement from 1998 supports the right to opt out of the NCCA religion course

The tangled web of events undermining the right to opt out of religion in ETB schools

patsman07 wrote: »

These are the folk of the "mental reservation".

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    And Twitter steps in, apparently for an alleged privacy breach by Ms O'Doherty.

482656.png

Advertisement