Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library card use online

• 10-06-2019 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

This might help some folks.

The Library is free to join. You can get the Borrow Box app on your phone, tablet or computer. And you can download up to 12 of their 14,000 ebooks and 5,000 audiobooks onto your account at any one time.

It's basically the Netflix of books and audiobooks but for free. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Do you know if DCC's lending apply to kindle at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I tried this a couple of years ago, but abandoned it when the Kindle format wasn't available. Has this changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

SDCC website about Borrow Box only has a few titles. Does the app have more?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

RB Digital works too.
    Loads of magazines you can download with your library card.

Kids use it here allot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The Library is free to join. You can get the Borrow Box app on your phone, tablet or computer. And you can download up to 12 of their 14,000 ebooks and 5,000 audiobooks onto your account at any one time.

Also press reader app, sign in using your library card no and access to the Irish independent, guardian, hot press and lots of magazines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

I tried this a couple of years ago, but abandoned it when the Kindle format wasn't available. Has this changed?

Same here. From what I can see it is still an issue. Works on Kindle tablets but not a paperwhite.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭chonix

This might help some folks.

It's basically the Netflix of books and audiobooks but for free. :)
    Might be too much to ask to give some directions on where to download the app? (Android, Iphone, etc?) I'd appreciate that (and I guess many of us too) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Go onto the google play store and search for Borrow Box. It's pretty straightforward.

SteM wrote: »
    Go onto the google play store and search for Borrow Box. It's pretty straightforward.

Yah only works with Kindle fire.

Borrow box works with Fingal too so that's good. Any reccomendations for audio books?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tomjohn01

Pressreader not available with my local library,very disappointed as it looks like a brilliant service

• Advertisement

tomjohn01 wrote: »
    Pressreader not available with my local library,very disappointed as it looks like a brilliant service

Surprised at that as i think its a membership thats a blanket one with the LGMA.

You could join a library that does have it i suppose

• Is the Times available on Press Reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You have to sign up in person right? With RB digital you could use the temporary number, but I think with Borrowbox you have to go into a library.

errlloyd wrote: »
    You have to sign up in person right? With RB digital you could use the temporary number, but I think with Borrowbox you have to go into a library.

I've just installed borrow box on my android tablet, entered my South Dublin library details in the app and borrowed a book. No need to go to the library.

I've just installed borrow box on my android tablet, entered my South Dublin library details in the app and borrowed a book. No need to go to the library.

Yeah - I know that much. But if you haven't got a library membership I think you have to go in, in person right? IE - you can't sign up for the library online.

Yeah - I know that much. But if you haven't got a library membership I think you have to go in, in person right? IE - you can't sign up for the library online.

No, you have to be a library member to use borrow box.

No, you have to be a library member to use borrow box.

Yes obviously.

So to clarify. If you are not a library member you to.
    1. Go into the library with ID and proof of address to get a library card
    2. Join Borrow Box.

In contrast, to use RB Digital, you can sign up on Libraries Ireland, and use the temporary number they give you, without ever having to prove your address etc.

Yes obviously.

So to clarify. If you are not a library member you to.
    1. Go into the library with ID and proof of address to get a library card
    2. Join Borrow Box.

In contrast, to use RB Digital, you can sign up on Libraries Ireland, and use the temporary number they give you, without ever having to prove your address etc.
    I can confirm that:
    - BorrowBox doesn't work with the tempID
    - RBDigital does work with the tempID

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

chonix wrote: »
    Might be too much to ask to give some directions on where to download the app? (Android, Iphone, etc?) I'd appreciate that (and I guess many of us too) Thanks

They have it for Android, Android Tablet, iPhone, iPad and Fire in their respective play store.

Enter your local Library name, Library card number/barcode and pin number.

Once it's set up you have the service then for at least a year. You might have to physically go in and renew your card.

It's a really good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,199 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Same, not available in most locations outside of Dublin from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

What's a library?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭heretothere

I downloaded RB Digital and logged in with a temporary ID. It is only giving me the option to check out magazines. It is because of the area I selected or am I doing something wrong?

I downloaded RB Digital and logged in with a temporary ID. It is only giving me the option to check out magazines. It is because of the area I selected or am I doing something wrong?
    Checkout = Check out to add the item into your collection, so you can track it (Read, Download, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just discovered that Cork City Library not included either, which is a right shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have my card number and PIN etc. but just keep getting an unspecified error in BorrowBox. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary

This might help some. Pick your locality, enter your number and you should be in your account then.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Notoldorwise

I have my card number and PIN etc. but just keep getting an unspecified error in BorrowBox.

I had the same issue until I realised that there was a blank space between the last 2 digits of my card number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yep, cheers. It's just BorrowBox that has an issue with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

I have my card number and PIN etc. but just keep getting an unspecified error in BorrowBox.

I'm having the same problem. Can't get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I have my card number and PIN etc. but just keep getting an unspecified error in BorrowBox. :(

This too.
    I only joined the library in person today and thought this was something to do with it.

Advertisement