Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library card use online

Options
24

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins


    Esse85 wrote: »
    This too.
    I only joined the library in person today and thought this was something to do with it.

    I've been with Cork County Library since 2002 or something, and have used BorrowBox before. A couple of years ago IIRC.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭corks finest


    _Brian wrote: »
    RB Digital works too.
    Loads of magazines you can download with your library card.

    Kids use it here allot
    Yep have that


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭corks finest


    _Brian wrote: »
    RB Digital works too.
    Loads of magazines you can download with your library card.

    Kids use it here allot
    Yep have that


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian


    I have my card number and PIN etc. but just keep getting an unspecified error in BorrowBox. :(
    dercunx wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. Can't get in.

    Guys, I had a problem like this about two years ago with my library card number. The librarian here said they don't know why it happens with some cards but the only solution that works is to get a new library card and number and try that.

    It's something specific to Borrowbox, everything else seems to work fine with the problematic card numbers, and since Borrowbox service is provided by some crowd over in Australia, this was the simplest solution. I've been going fine since.

    Also, if you only use library's online services but not physical books, just make sure you go in person to the library at least once per year and ask them to scan in your card. If you don't do this none of the online services will work for you after a 12 month period has passed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins


    duridian wrote: »

    Also, if you only use library's online services but not physical books, just make sure you go in person to the library at least once per year and ask them to scan in your card. If you don't do this none of the online services will work for you after a 12 month period has passed.

    That'll probably be it for me. Cheers.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless


    I have a library card for Dublin City library which I used to use for the Ilac library.
    It's a long time since I actually used it but don't ever remember getting a PIN.
    Do I need to register online to get one ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted


    Techless wrote: »
    I have a library card for Dublin City library which I used to use for the Ilac library.
    It's a long time since I actually used it but don't ever remember getting a PIN.
    Do I need to register online to get one ?

    In Wicklow anyway, the pin is the last four digits of your card number.


  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless


    In Wicklow anyway, the pin is the last four digits of your card number.

    Cheers.will try that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish


    It's also possible to read the books on your Kindle if you follow this guide:

    https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom


    Note for borrow box if you are in a county library in Cork that has recently moved to the city just select Cork City Library and it works fine.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe


    Techless wrote: »
    I have a library card for Dublin City library which I used to use for the Ilac library.
    It's a long time since I actually used it but don't ever remember getting a PIN.
    Do I need to register online to get one ?

    If it's been over a year you will need to renew your membership in person. You can do this in any branch, not just the one you first joined.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock


    https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary

    This might help some. Pick your locality, enter your number and you should be in your account then.

    You wouldnt know if its possible to get a list of the available Irish papers on this service without having to manually search PROQUEST?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan


    Interesting Sunday Times article here which mentions the great free functions of Borrow Box.

    Audio books are booming.
    More people are also choosing to listen to audiobooks, with 577,910 titles downloaded so far this year, up from 413,293 last year.

    Free ebooks via Borrow Box are booming too.
    Figures show that due to the restrictions imposed because of the pandemic, downloads of ebooks via the app in Ireland have increased to 529,416 in 2020 to date, compared with 345,877 over all 12 months of last year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Glebee


    It's also possible to read the books on your Kindle if you follow this guide:

    https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

    Anyone get this to work? Cant figure it out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1


    Can it be used on a PC? My eyesight needs a larger screen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭dabbler2004


    Can it be used on a PC? My eyesight needs a larger screen.

    Yes it can, you'll have to download Adobe Digital Editions on your PC to read the book, if you use the web version of Borrowbox it'll have the link to the Adobe software when you want to download your selected book.


  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1


    Yes it can, you'll have to download Adobe Digital Editions on your PC to read the book, if you use the web version of Borrowbox it'll have the link to the Adobe software when you want to download your selected book.


    Many thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost


    Can it be used on a PC? My eyesight needs a larger screen.

    Would you want to read it on PC though? Not very natural

    You can change the font sizes in BorrowBox and it can go quite large.... might be easier


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭pjq


    Can it be used on a PC? My eyesight needs a larger screen.

    We have used the Adobe Digital on a laptop for years, for someone with AMD. PC means you dont have to hold anything in hands, instead of swiping to get next page you tap the right arrow. You can get an even bigger font by adjusting your windows settings, so that all fonts and icons are larger. it might also be worthwhile increasing the cursor size.


  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1


    Would you want to read it on PC though? Not very natural

    You can change the font sizes in BorrowBox and it can go quite large.... might be easier


    Yes I would prefer using the PC. I use a Fire sometimes but find it irritates my eyes trying to read anything on it, even when I enlarge the text. I'm much more comfortable with my trusty PC. :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1


    pjq wrote: »
    We have used the Adobe Digital on a laptop for years, for someone with AMD. PC means you dont have to hold anything in hands, instead of swiping to get next page you tap the right arrow. You can get an even bigger font by adjusting your windows settings, so that all fonts and icons are larger. it might also be worthwhile increasing the cursor size.


    Yep, I'm much more comfortable with my PC, and very familiar with it. Been working on it for many years. Thanks. I don't like using the hand hand products, I find them inconvenient.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,820 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_


    https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary

    This might help some. Pick your locality, enter your number and you should be in your account then.

    I've tried this but must be missing something!

    When I click my county and then the Online Newspapers link it opens Pressreader and I can pick say the Irish Times.. BUT I can't get any further than the front page without a logon prompt

    Tried setting up an account with the same email address as the library but no joy - still asks me to pay.

    Any ideas?


  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn


    The majority of the newspapers are no longer available for free, due , I presume, to cutbacks by LibrariesIreland. This occurred a couple of months ago. Cost saving I presume. I still use the service as I can indulge my interest in motoring magazines which are freely available under the UK magazine section.


  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster


    mikehn wrote: »
    The majority of the newspapers are no longer available for free, due , I presume, to cutbacks by LibrariesIreland. This occurred a couple of months ago. Cost saving I presume. I still use the service as I can indulge my interest in motoring magazines which are freely available under the UK magazine section.

    Sadly, looks like the Irish Mirror is the only Irish newspaper left, bar the Sligo Weekender :)

    I'd hope most people know to open (non-subscriber) Irish Times articles from the IT website in private windows to get around the 10-per-week block?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭dulpit


    nephster wrote: »
    I'd hope most people know to open (non-subscriber) Irish Times articles from the IT website in private windows to get around the 10-per-week block?

    Or pay for journalism?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik


    Anyone else get an email today to say that magazines and comics will no longer be available on RBDigital?


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 scurran19


    JimmyVik wrote: »
    Anyone else get an email today to say that magazines and comics will no longer be available on RBDigital?

    Ya, they have moved to Libby. Info on it here https://www.overdrive.com/ZINIO-transition-preview
    Seems to be more magazines available through it than previously.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik


    scurran19 wrote: »
    Ya, they have moved to Libby. Info on it here https://www.overdrive.com/ZINIO-transition-preview
    Seems to be more magazines available through it than previously.


    Saw that alright.
    You cant sign up to it with a Fingal library card yet though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum


    Dunlaoghaire comes up for Ireland on Libby. You can choose that one as all the libraries are linked now


Advertisement