Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Library card use online

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

How do I get my pin number? I don't remember having to use that for the old app

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

@ ShaneU - pin should be last 4 no.s of your library card number (that's how it worked with Press Reader anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nua wrote: »
    @ ShaneU - pin should be last 4 no.s of your library card number (that's how it worked with Press Reader anyhow)

Its either the last 4 numbers of your card or the last 4 numbers of your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its either the last 4 numbers of your card or the last 4 numbers of your phone number.

It's neither for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It's neither for me.

It usually is that though unless they ask you if you want a different pin when you are getting your card.
    I was asked did I want my own pin, and she said the default was last 4 digits of phone number or of library card number. I said just stick to the default, easier to remember.
    I think the poster should try both of those numbers and if they dont work contact the library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

It's neither for me.

You could try reseting it here

https://lgma.iii.com/pinreset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

dunleas wrote: »
    You could try reseting it here

https://lgma.iii.com/pinreset

Ah, no. I know it. Just that it's neither the last 4 digits of my phone number, nor the last 4 of my card number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just installed Libby app on ipad - ui seems fine to me, so possibly the app has been updated since last year.

there's a far greater choice of magazines then with the previous RB digital app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Tried to download borrow box, entered my details and it accepted them. Says my membership has expired. Yet my details work fine on Libby and pressreader

Anyone have similar happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

For goodness sake this must be changed. I used to work in the library service and was dubious about this practice which was brought in when at least half the clientele never went near a computer. We had sone discussions about it.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i was able to reset the pin at this page - Irish Public Libraries / All Locations (iii.com)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I only use BorrowBox but I do have to 'renew' it once year (I think). Usually a call to the library will sort it out or next time yiu are there in person ask them at the desk to update it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a big redevelopment of library systems going on over the next two weeks;

https://support.librariesireland.ie/hc/en-ie

So it wouldn't surprise me if some services were disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I like using Overdrive/Libby on my tablet and was thinking of getting a Kobo reader, however their support website doesnt list Ireland as a supported country, is this just an error of omission, anyone have this set up?

Link to Kobo support wbsite where it lists countries - https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017677053

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Yep, I recently rang to renew my library card and they said to call back around the beginning of April as everything was in a bit of a mess at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's only disrupting the physical collection services. Can't request books until next week, any books in transit not going to be processed til then either. Stuff can still be borrowed. Returns won't be processed until next week.

I chose one hell of a week to get Covid work wise

Borrowbox, Libby etc all still work. Might be some toothing issues for a bit afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is changed. They should have small pin machines in all branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mobius2021

Even after resetting my pin twice successfully I'm getting an OPAC Access Violation on my account.

I hope they're going to keep Libby, it's a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

My Libby password also not recognised, books returned and borrowed 10 days ago not updated either. Pressreader password was ok this am.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭EarWig

The IT system is a complete mess with the changeover. Give it a while or go mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Kobo supports transferring books from BorrowBox through Adobe Digital Editions. I recently got a Kobo and have downloaded books on to it from the library. It was the main reason I went with a Kobo over another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got a new password at the desk yesterday. I’m able to login and see current loans and reservations.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tomfoolery60

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭EarWig

Old reservations are showing as available for pickup but are not in library.

Other reservations are missing.

The catalogue is missing stuff that I know they have.

PIN didn't work until I went into library.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For anyone using Borrowbox, I was just getting a blank screen yesterday. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app, PIN was not recognised so I updated that and everything is now back to normal. Some people have been getting lost in the process and setting up a new account but this won't have your requested items, books you're currently reading etc. If it helps, I tried to update my PIN to the same as it was before but it didn't work until I chose a brand new PIN. Everything is there now as it should be.

Advertisement