Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

D3oIY2NXsAAOw2R.jpg:small
    Pecan cinnamon brioche rolls. They didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Unreal tree!! They look so buttery

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Tree wrote: »
    D3oIY2NXsAAOw2R.jpg:small
    Pecan cinnamon brioche rolls. They didn't last long.

I nearly ate that picture!! Divine looking!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Unreal tree!! They look so buttery
    They're pure butter. About 30% of the brioche dough by weight, and then more in the filling :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

My mam made caramel recently and gave me a jar. As tempting as it was just to grab a spoon and dig in, I decided to make caramel filled chocolates instead :P

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Meringue with mascarpone cream and passionfruit curd. Never made curd before, surprisingly easy and oh so delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Meringue with mascarpone cream and passionfruit curd. Never made curd before, surprisingly easy and oh so delicious

Did you just make a citrus curd and then fold the passionfruit through or just add the whole fruit into the ingredients Cornelius Crow?

Side note but no matter how lovely a dessert is, passionfruit always looks like something from an alien planet to me:pac: But it doesn't stop it tasting delicious!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Did you just make a citrus curd and then fold the passionfruit through or just add the whole fruit into the ingredients Cornelius Crow?

Side note but no matter how lovely a dessert is, passionfruit always looks like something from an alien planet to me:pac: But it doesn't stop it tasting delicious!

Scooped the contents of six passionfruits into a sieve over a bowl and squeezed out the juice by pressing the seeds and flesh with the back of a spoon, added the juice of a lemon.

In another bowl I beat 150g sugar, two whole eggs and the yolk of a third.

Melted 150g butter in a saucepan on a low heat, added the egg and sugar mix, then the fruit juice and stirred until thick. Those measurements made enough for a very generous covering on the cake (then topped with the left-over seeds which also remind me a little of frog spawn so I know what you mean :D ) and filled a medium sized jar which I gave as a gift to a friend... oh and I ate a few spoonfuls too. For quality control, like

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Scooped the contents of six passionfruits into a sieve over a bowl and squeezed out the juice by pressing the seeds and flesh with the back of a spoon, added the juice of a lemon.

In another bowl I beat 150g sugar, two whole eggs and the yolk of a third.

Melted 150g butter in a saucepan on a low heat, added the egg and sugar mix, then the fruit juice and stirred until thick. Those measurements made enough for a very generous covering on the cake (then topped with the left-over seeds which also remind me a little of frog spawn so I know what you mean :D ) and filled a medium sized jar which I gave as a gift to a friend... oh and I ate a few spoonfuls too. For quality control, like

Stellar work..you have to do the quality control - it's essential!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

woodchuck wrote: »
    My mam made caramel recently and gave me a jar. As tempting as it was just to grab a spoon and dig in, I decided to make caramel filled chocolates instead :P

I took this to the next level with a little colour today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I bake quite a bit but usually forget to take photos before it is eaten.

Sweet Easter Bread. I usually do a longish plait but decided to go for something different this year:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y1WFm7GiKrwJSCHv8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Got a bit carried away baking this weekend. Haven’t made anything in ages and thoroughly enjoyed baking because I wanted to and not because people told me I had to do it for them.

Both recipes are from Janes Patisserie blog. The cookie bars were divine! I kept back some of the milky bar eggs and pushed them down into the cookie when it came out of the oven so they were melted in the middle when I had them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Edd Kimber put this up on YouTube a couple of weeks ago and all I've wanted to do since is bake it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7opgD0ic4&t=

Rare I'll use other peoples recipes for anything other than ideas but I wanted to give this whole thing a try as it looked amazing and seemed so quick to throw together (it was)
    Chocolate sheet cake with chocolate caramel ganache and topped with dark chocolate chunks and choc caramel shavings.
    Second image is too big for forum so added as attachment only...

S9UudEC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Busy weekend baking. Both kids birthdays on the same day but two years apart. Was pushed for time so bought Hey Duggee figurines. My sons cake was a Batman piñata cake. Both were made from a bbcgoodfood recipe -

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6652/naughty-chocolate-fudge-cake

I made an extra batch of the mix with almond milk for some of the kids that were lactose intolerant which they loved.

Also buttercream with a tablespoon of peanut butter is a revelation on the batch of cupcakes I did for work!

Busy weekend baking. Both kids birthdays on the same day but two years apart. Was pushed for time so bought Hey Duggee figurines. My sons cake was a Batman pi cake. Both were made from a bbcgoodfood recipe -

I made an extra batch of the mix with almond milk for some of the kids that were lactose intolerant which they loved.

Also buttercream with a tablespoon of peanut butter is a revelation on the batch of cupcakes I did for work!

You've earned your birthday cake badge!!!

They look great:)

Something called 'Lemon brownies' or 'Lemonies' appeared on my Facebook feed last week. What sort of sorcery is this I thought, so I googled it and all the recipes where all in cups :rolleyes:
    So google thought me it was just like a fudgey lemon cake...so I decided to just adapt my fudgey white choc blondies and add lemon juice instead of white chocolate.
    Result...not really as fudgey as I wanted could use less flour and more butter to get there and just a lemon tray bake really...but lets call these RacoonQueen's Lemonies anyway :D
    686189432818e48298de325fb4ee2b1d84f55183dfc0ba6e944ba4020e5e85e3faad7248.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lemonies! I like the sound of that! They look scrummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Busy weekend baking. Both kids birthdays on the same day but two years apart. Was pushed for time so bought Hey Duggee figurines. My sons cake was a Batman piñata cake. Both were made from a bbcgoodfood recipe -

The look fab!

leahyl wrote: »
    Lemonies! I like the sound of that! They look scrummy!

They are much better on day two. Nice and fudgey today. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can't believe you still had some left over from day one! :)

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    I can't believe you still had some left over from day one! :)

I live alone and on holidays from work. I try not to be too much of a pig. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I live alone and on holidays from work. I try not to be too much of a pig. :pac:

Eh, you're on holidays, sounds like a good enough excuse to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure if posted already but Aldi are currently accepting entries for their National Brown Bread Baking competition. First prize is your bread stocked across all their stores with a guaranteed minimum of €15,000 share of the profits. I only saw it on a leaflet but there should be more details on their site, there is a range of ingredients that you can and cannot use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Was a busy weekend! Some things went well...others not so great!

Made lemon cupcakes after finding lemon extract in Dunnes. Broke out the new piping kit and pretty happy with the result all round.

479637.jpg

And then I got very ambitious. Had seen the marble glazing technique , but was thinking of starting smaller // didn't want to be making an entire cake, so found Galaxy Mousse Cakes: https://www.sugarhero.com/galaxy-mousse-cakes/ . Tried to make brownie cupcakes in small cases rather than a full brownie and cutting. Unfortunately, they caved in. Mousse turned out well, but mold not right for this idea - hard to get out with all the detail in tact and there's a point coming through the middle (should have cut cupcakes around this but they were already on the meager side), which would also hold a lot of icing I imagine.

479638.jpg

Did have leftover mousse, "brownie" mix (which I just lamped onto a pan much too big for it), and icing, so now have brownie sandwiches and mousse :D

479639.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Chocolate cupcakes with (multicoloured) salted caramel mascarpone icing

480891.jpg

And a Nutella Crack Pie

480892.jpg

480893.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My nieces communion cake - vanilla sponge with lemon curd and icing, blue at the girls request

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

My nieces communion cake - vanilla sponge with lemon curd and icing, blue at the girls request

Looks fantastic!

My local Supervalu recently started an 'American Food' section. Which had peanut butter chips in it. So I went down specifically to get them. Specifically so I could make peanut butter chip cookies :D

I put in dark choc chips and peanut butter chips and tbh the taste of peanut butter aint that strong. Could do with more of them within the mix or just dumped on top when putting them in the oven so they come out on top of the cookie. €3 for 283g of peanutbutter chips so doesn't work out a whole load more expensive than buying own brand choc chips.

2vx4pjk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Those cookies look AMAZING!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not sure if this counts as baking...

First attempt at making wholemeal flatbreads / roti.

IMG-20190610-103506.jpg

Not too bad, just wholemeal flour and water. But they weren't soft enough to use as a wrap.

Must try again with yoghurt. Would baking powder help them bubble up?

Advertisement