Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That's going to be fun, old Vs new media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    That's going to be fun, old Vs new media.
    The interesting thing is, at their worst they suffer from exactly the same fundamental problem - ratings driving content, rather than the more desirable scenario where the two are flipped. Where they appear to differ is the degree, and to an extent, the manner in which, they're willing to chase those numbers.

For reference, the CNET article which has kicked this particular debate off is this, Meet the angry gaming YouTubers who turn outrage into views.

What I found most interesting about the article is not that it's one of the first articles I've seen which explicitly mentions some of the most notable Youtubers in this space but that some of them actually replied, demonstrating, in their own words, the problem.

Chris Zakrzewski of Upper Echelon Gamers, initially started his channel to talk about a game he was clearly into, The Division, but over time found a considerably larger audience when he leaned into the "critical" side of commentary and when I say critical, I don't mean analysis. You can actually see this shift if you scroll through the overview of his videos on his channel here. When asked would he consider changing that formula, as he says in the article, it was a hard no.

The Youtuber Downward Thrust had a similar trajectory in terms of his own content and even goes on to describe how he cultivated his new audience with the now common "catchy" headline and thumbnail image. His comments about the pressure he feels to be more negative because of other channels are rather sad but, on the upside, at least he's decide to move away from that and create more "thoughtfully crafted videos".

CleanPrinceGaming had a rather similar start on Youtube, again demonstrable if you look at his videos from old to new on his channel. His attempt at the more positive What's So Great series, as described in the article, is interesting too as it showed how quickly he was willing to jettison it when it didn't "find an audience" as they say.

As for The Quartering, johnny_ultimate made a joke earlier about him creating seven videos in response to Captain Marvel and Brie Larson. This was an utterly ridiculous assertion. The number is closer to the thirty mark. What makes it most relevant in this context is that when questioned on the subject, he didn't defend the value or news worthiness of this content, he simply pointed to the video views and related subscriber boosts it offered.

It's probably worth pointing out the folk above have nearly all taken a rather negative view on the article since its publication. What was intriguing was how they addressed it though, they tended to defend their content as standing up for the consumer against the industry and particular negative practices and yet missed the point that it was the manner in which they created this content, the "angry" side of things, that was the focus of the piece.

They're also bizarrely claiming it's an attempt to get them shut down by contacting advertisers in order to get them demonetised whereas in reality, it's highlighting the fact that companies haven't a clue what kind of content their names are appearing alongside, they simply rely on Google/Youtube to do their jobs for them. If there's going to be a shift in this space, it'll be one which more closely mirrors that of the TV and print space where the job is carried out by dedicated marketing people looking to protect their own brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It helps if you can remember as to why there's a demand for holding publishers' feet to the fire as well and calling out bad practices. It's resonating with people because it's what's lacking among mainstream outlets (not because it's just negative) whom have staff that don't understand video games, don't know how to play video games, have no love of or passion for them and often openly hate them and the audience or see their job as an excuse to spew their politics.

Remember the "entitled gamer" crap?
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/13/mass-effect-3-and-the-pernicious-myth-of-gamer-entitlement/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/22/upset-dmc-fans-are-entitled-because-thats-what-we-call-people-who-complain-about-video-games/
    totalbiscuit did a video ways back https://youtu.be/0sYp-eggD1Q

No matter how many videos you list that are negative of X game or Y celebrity (those poor millionaires and conglomerates), it's dwarfed by the amount of gamer-hating, greed-apologising shlock and damage that outlets have been releasing for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

If you search "game" on the Windows store app, you will see a title called "Xbox Game Pass PC Games" but you get an error message when you click into it. It'll probably go live later today :)

• Advertisement

I remember when the Quartering got a "please f*ck off" letter from Bethesda and he tried to spin it that he now had a contact in the company.
    God loves a trier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I remember when the Quartering got a "please f*ck off" letter from Bethesda

Ha Ha Ha that's the best news I've read all week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Great to see The quatering cleaning up on YouTube. His channel is blowing up with subscribers.

Highly entertaining videos :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great to see The quatering cleaning up on YouTube. His channel is blowing up with subscribers.

Highly entertaining videos :)

Valiant attempt FAILSAFE, but you’re mistaking our pointing and laughing at TheQuartering with outrage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I honestly dont know why people watch the quatering, he literally reads news off websites, very slowly and drawn out so he bypasses the 10min marker for the $$$$ :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

nix wrote: »
    I honestly dont know why people watch the quatering, he literally reads news off websites, very slowly and drawn out so he bypasses the 10min marker for the $$$$ :confused:

Entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

nix wrote:
    I honestly dont know why people watch the quatering, he literally reads news off websites, very slowly and drawn out so he bypasses the 10min marker for the $$$$

It's YouTube a lot of sh!te on it attracts a large amount of flies so to speak, just look at the trending tab on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was it something to do with him exposing those paedo GMs in the Magic scene that Wizards of the Coast were ignoring?

What is it with sex predators and the right side of history? Makes you wonder :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    Was it something to do with him exposing those paedo GMs in the Magic scene that Wizards of the Coast were ignoring?

What is it with sex predators and the right side of history? Makes you wonder :confused:

What, like those left leaning organisations, the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Wow wow wow, he exposed them? or do you mean he read aloud an article done by someone else of them being exposed? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Annyhow folks we’ve had our little tangent, let’s get back to news please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Reaction and commentary has been a thing on the internet for over a decade now. Pick a topic and you'll likely find someone who does very similar stuff. I like YongYeah in the same way except he just heavily scripts it instead of adlibbing. TheQuatering is borderline live in the way he does it. Everyone's got their style.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    It's YouTube a lot of sh!te on it attracts a large amount of flies so to speak, just look at the trending tab on there.
    The trending tab is actually literally just hand-picked content from YT staff.

Highly entertaining videos smile.png

It's great to see him doing so well and he deserves it. Dude literally got a blue checkmark to apologise via court order for physically assaulting him in their soyrage. :D He'll unfortunately probably just get demonitised, shadowbanned and driven off the platform for wrongthink like a lot are right now.

In news
    So hard to find anything not E3 related but seems DOA is on point with their guest characters as usual, if nothing else
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/06/09/dead-or-alive-6-dlc-characters-mai-shiranui-kula-diamond-announced/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,435 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another report from Jason Schreir about ****ty game companies, this time Treyarch. Wow, being a QA tester for Black Ops 4 sounded shyte.

https://kotaku.com/the-human-cost-of-call-of-duty-black-ops-4-1835859016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Schreir really is doing great work in exposing all this bull**** at the moment. The only way it's ever going to change it through stronger labour laws or unionisation and the former seems very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Promotional posters released for The Witcher TV series
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/the-witcher-netflix-shares-official-look-at-fantasy-show/

witcher-poster.jpg?quality=50&format=jpg

(posters for Geralt, Yennifer and Ciri also on that link)

Netflix is the new straight-to-DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,084 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The quality of their stuff has plummeted in recent years but I'm holding out hope that this is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Netflix is the new straight-to-DVD.

That literally makes no sense in this instance.

"The worst series are the ones we create"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Another report from Jason Schreir about ****ty game companies, this time Treyarch. Wow, being a QA tester for Black Ops 4 sounded shyte.

https://kotaku.com/the-human-cost-of-call-of-duty-black-ops-4-1835859016

i-vwGpxxv-2100x20000.jpg

J. Marston wrote: »
    The quality of their stuff has plummeted in recent years but I'm holding out hope that this is good.
    Quality in general has plummeted. The recent Jennifer Aniston movie apparently was a huge success. If it had been in the cinema and everyone had paid $9 for a ticket it would have been the 3rd highest grossing movie in history. And yes I've seen it and yes it is complete and utter shyte.

What's my point again?! Oh yeah, they don't need to make good content to be successful. So I wouldn't hold much faith in this series. I'd say something along the lines of Star Trek. Pretty Meh but enough people will watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Not sure what you lot are on about.

Netflix films are poor, yeah, but I don't recall them ever being good.

But The Witcher is a TV show and Netflix have put out plenty of absolutely cracking, big-budget TV shows in the last few years. I'd trust them more than anyone else other than HBO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cina wrote: »
    Not sure what you lot are on about.

Netflix films are poor, yeah, but I don't recall them ever being good.

But The Witcher is a TV show and Netflix have put out plenty of absolutely cracking, big-budget TV shows in the last few years. I'd trust them more than anyone else other than HBO.

I think Netflix have gotten a lot more miss-than-hits over the last few years because other TV networks and streaming services are taking their own stuff off Netflix for their own services, so Netflix have churned out a lot more of their own original stuff. This means the overall quality ratio of them has probably dropped. But when they really throw their weight behind something they can produce absolutely incredible stuff, and I think even going for someone like Henry Cavill to star in it is a huge sign of intent. I'd certainly be hopeful for the show.

And like you say, Netflix and HBO (and I suppose Amazon Prime) are capable of higher quality shows a lot of the time because they're not so beholden to ads, sponsors, framing their shows around ad breaks or specific runtimes etc. What Netflix or HBO could have done with The Walking Dead for example could have been fantastic. Likewise, what ABC or even AMC would have done with Game of Thrones (or even The Witcher) likely doesn't bear thinking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement