Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The US needs unions across the board. Job security has been eroded away to nothing there to such a degree people will let themselves be molested as complaining or reporting what is in fact a serious crime means the loss of their job and possible blacklisting. They need unions for protection from that.

However big business in conjunction with the US government has worked very hard for a number of years to make unions seem like a dirty word to even the people that need it and would benefit from it the most, in the same way they have done with universal healthcare. The whole calling people snowflakes is part of that and only feeding it. The country is a mess and a scary reminder of where we could end up.
    It never ceases to amaze me that the aversion to robust employee rights at a federal level in the US is so strong that the only avenue people feel they have left is available to them is unionisation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That sounds like communism... :P

The US has always been exceptional at propaganda and manipulation of its population into believing that anything other than the proscribed ideaology (Capitalism and it's myriad knock-on impacts on things like health care, job security, status, etc) makes them lesser as both people and as Americans. It's all about brand protection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The US needs unions across the board.

I can tell you this now from long experience, unions will make no difference when it comes to HR protecting top level executives, in Ireland or the US. Only way you win that case is to lawyer up and hope they pay you to keep your mouth shut.

A bit of self respect might help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The whole calling people snowflakes is part of that and only feeding it. The country is a mess and a scary reminder of where we could end up.

Not sure if directed at me, but if it is it's because I have not been following the evolution of the word snowflake. To me, it has always meant people who get offended at the slightest thing, or on behalf of other people without their ok. Has it changed to something else?

Anyway, your second point is a scary possibility. We are seeing the claim culture start to take over in Ireland, but I'm hopeful that the EU has us well covered on the employment front, so we shouldn't get shafted as much as the proud Americans. Hopefully. I work with mostly Americans, and they have 6 days leave a year. 6! This doesn't include public holidays, which they have off anyway, but it's still well below the minimum 20 over here. I'm starting to really get behind the 4 x 8hr work days. I managed to wrangle 4 days a week for the last 2 months, and not only did my mental health improve, I no longer hated my job, I had more energy and even my body was starting to react positively. Working conditions have evolved, working methods have evolved, but the hours have stayed the same, if not gotten longer because of the expectation on employees to go above and beyond so they will get noticed and promoted. I'm telling ye all now, 4 day work weeks are the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure if directed at me, but if it is it's because I have not been following the evolution of the word snowflake. To me, it has always meant people who get offended at the slightest thing, or on behalf of other people without their ok. Has it changed to something else?

Yep it's changed. It used to be a way of dismissing pretty ridiculous claims from people that get overly offended or pretend to get offended at the slightest thing but it's been used more and more to ridicule people with genuine concerns and dismiss them.

Its the same how Fake News has been used by the trump administration. It used to be used as a term to describe bull**** facebook posts about stuff like homeopathy, antivaxxer, flat earther, etc. nonsense but it's now been used to censor the media through dismissal of their works validity by equating their work with that garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I am convinced "snowflake" in its current popular usage only exists online. I have never heard anyone use it in real life and if they did I would look at them like they had two heads.

Interesting. So what do we call the original snowflakes now? Ah it doesn't matter.

I'm convinced all news is fake news these days anyway, I've no trust in a state run or privately run news service, as all they want to do is generate clicks/likes/views. The days of thoroughly investigating something and having proof is eroding away, and peoples reactions are the proof now.

It's why I don't watch the news, or listen to the radio. I don't trust any of it. Like that Jeronimo stuff. Yeah, looks bad and if it's true he's a scumbag, but all stories have 3 sides, and rarely do you get an actual subjective debate or coverage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

'Member when "(special) snowflake" just meant someone self-centered? I 'member.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

There really does appear to be a need for unions in the gaming sector, but I'd be afraid that a union would go the opposite route and cause companies to shut down because they don't look after every snowflake that gets hired. I agree we, as a race, need thicker skin. Name calling is now a reason to get butthurt, even though I was always reminded of the 'Sticks and stones' poem when I got bullied in school.

Who is the bigger snowflake, the person who gets upset at being called names or the person who gets upset at not being allowed to call other people names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There really does appear to be a need for unions in the gaming sector, but I'd be afraid that a union would go the opposite route and cause companies to shut down because they don't look after every snowflake that gets hired. I agree we, as a race, need thicker skin. Name calling is now a reason to get butthurt, even though I was always reminded of the 'Sticks and stones' poem when I got bullied in school. Guess we've given up on that.

This kind of thing annoys me. You should be able to work in an environment where you're not berated and screamed at on a daily basis and be told to put up with it because 'sticks and stones'. It's abuse, plain and simple and if you, or a loved one, was to have to deal with it on a daily basis I think you'd change your tune and there's only so long before your thick skin starts to wear down.

Someone random shouting insults at you on the street? Yeah, you're going to have a thick skin there because there's nothing you can do about arseholes you're going to meet by chance on the street but you should never have to put about with sustained abuse in the workplace. I also think it's pretty crappy to call someone a snowflake if they are suffering because of that abuse.

• Advertisement

See, this is where my lack of keeping up with modern trends comes to bite me in the ass. As I said above, what I consider a snowflake are those people who get upset at the smallest thing, and must have skin made of edible paper. I don't mean to label anyone who is genuinely getting abuse, verbal or physical, while at work. I 100% agree with that. But, and you can't deny it, some people are expecting to be wrapped in a fluffy towel while at work, and that's just not possible. Life is hard, people won't like you for numerous reasons.

I'm not good at putting my feelings into words, and I usually say the wrong things but there's never intent behind it. I was small and ginger, so I know full well the effects of bullying. But that saying holds true. What are words, but words? Someone saying something should not be a reason for getting upset, especially if there is no intent behind it. The constant bullying I was subject to made me who I am, someone quite thick skinned and someone who rarely gets offended these days, if at all. The only offence I really have is seeing how the rich pricks in power get paid scandalous amounts to do feck all. But someone calling me a name? Unless it's a regular thing, in the workplace, it's just words and people need to get over this.

Again, I'm not condoning people who deliberately set out to insult and make someones life hell, I mean people should learn to not react at the first smallest thing. Trying to make the world this perfectly safe place just won't happen, and while I agree that all these movements are doing great work for those affected, we still need to be teaching that life is not perfect, people are dicks, you will get upset but it's how you react that counts.

Anyway, this is nothing to do with Gaming News anymore. So I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Metro Exodus shows up on Microsoft Store for Windows 10, launching June 9

It's been mentioned in the Beat Saber thread, but Music Pack 2 will be out on the 10th, and I for one cannot wait. To me, it's one of the main reasons to own VR right now, and luckily I come from a time when the Pong machine was the pinnacle of home gaming, so I can appreciate that jump from 80's gaming to VR, and while VR is nowhere near perfect yet, I understand the leap in technology in the last 30 years and it blows my mind at times.

I actually gave a few of my nephews and nieces a go, and they were not overly impressed. I think it's because they grew up during the PS3 era that they can't appreciate the leap in tech. Shame really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

VR should be the next step in videogames but at the moment it's just too impractical. Wearing a headset and looking like a twat with it on are two pretty big barriers to over come. It's also a tech that can't really be demonstrated in traditional media like video or print, you have to experience it to understand it.

I hope it stays around and gains some traction as it's one of the few places where the tech has the potential to introduce brand new gaming experiences. The sense of scale and place is insane, games have been making bigger and bigger enemies to fight for years but strap on a VR headset and an enemy 8 foot tall and looking down on you is incredibly intimidating.

Oh I agree, but I also couldn't care less what people seeing me play it think, I may look like a twat to them, but I don't care because I'm playing games in fricking VR, something I dreamed of as a child during the SNES era. Granted, films like Ready Player One make me want a treadmill, complete feedback suit and an entire world to explore, but I'll make do with slicing bricks for now.

And you are correct, the future for VR could be very bright, but it needs more right now. Movement in VR is a massive barrier for me, and I hate the current styles (available on PSVR), so I'm extremely hopeful that the 3D Rudder will be properly supported and actually work, and I think VR will take another step then. Until we get proper, affordable treadmills for VR it won't be able to advance properly imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just find the physical and logistical effort needed for VR to be too much; if I want to play games I want to crash out on my sofa, grab the controller and be off; not have to set up some kind of adult playpen area and effectively close myself off to the rest of the world (VR seems particularly parent unfriendly in that respect). Nor does the medium offer anything that feels enticing either

Oh I agree, but I also couldn't care less what people seeing me play it think, I may look like a twat to them, but I don't care because I'm playing games in fricking VR, something I dreamed of as a child during the SNES era. Granted, films like Ready Player One make me want a treadmill, complete feedback suit and an entire world to explore, but I'll make do with slicing bricks for now.

That's grand for you but the medium has to grab joe soap who just buys the annual FIFA and COD update every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

I don't have VR myself but a mate does and while i wouldn't go out and buy a headset, it was pretty neat playing resident evil 7 and vr worlds on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

VR should be the next step in videogames but at the moment it's just too impractical. Wearing a headset and looking like a twat with it on are two pretty big barriers to over come. It's also a tech that can't really be demonstrated in traditional media like video or print, you have to experience it to understand it.

You had to experience smartphones to understand them, probably why they never took off

VR has a some practical problems to solve but looking like a twat in a headseat isn't one of them. Most gamers look like twats when they're gaming right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Destiny 2 is being renamed & going free-to-play, eliminating PS4 exclusive content, getting cross-save, moving from Battle.net to Steam

https://www.resetera.com/threads/destiny-2-is-being-renamed-going-free-to-play-eliminating-ps4-exclusive-content-getting-cross-save-moving-from-battle-net-to-steam.121271/

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    You had to experience smartphones to understand them, probably why they never took off

It's not what I mean.

It's the same reason the Virtual Boy failed. Everyone that see's screenshots and videos of that console just sees a black and red mess. The problem is if you used the actual system the 3D effect is amazing and looks really good. The big problem with that system was that you can't convey how good that effect is without using the system.

It's the same with VR. That immersion and feeling of inhabiting a place just cannot come across in traditional medium. You have to experience it to know the mediums advantage. The height example I gave is a case in point. Playing Halo as a 8 foot high super soldier feels so normal but if you are eight foot high in VR you feel yourself towering over normal people.

That's totally different to smartphones were having a fully functioning PC or internet device in the palm of your hands was immediately obvious. It also helps that mobiles are so stylish now they are a fashion accessory for most people which is a big difference to looking like a twat playing beat saber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cool. Might give it a shot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Destiny 2 is being renamed & going free-to-play, eliminating PS4 exclusive content, getting cross-save, moving from Battle.net to Steam

https://www.resetera.com/threads/destiny-2-is-being-renamed-going-free-to-play-eliminating-ps4-exclusive-content-getting-cross-save-moving-from-battle-net-to-steam.121271/

Thats a rather bold move from bungie.

Im glad Sony are getting a bit of a kick in the n*ts too,ive only got one console,a PS4,but Sonys stance on cross play/save and exclusive content in Destiny 2 bugs me. Im glad they wont be a preferred partner anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wearing a headset and looking like a twat with it on are two pretty big barriers to over come. It's also a tech that can't really be demonstrated in traditional media like video or print, you have to experience it to understand it.

While I'll agree with you that you have to experience it to understand it, the headset thing isn't going to be overcome any time soon. There's too much that has to go on, and without a headset, and say, reducing it to something akin to a pair of shades, is going to be too front heavy to be practical.

Looking like a twat isn't really a concern for most people playing it, because if you've experienced it, you know what it's like, and it's not like it's being done in front of an 'audience' for the most part anyway.

Reminds me of those complaining about motion controls in the past, complaining that they'd look like a prat, rather than enjoying the better sense of connection with the world they're playing in. If it wasn't for these motion controls, we wouldn't have any decent way of interacting in VR at this time either.

Might look into it myself, but I still think I won't play it much. I'd be pished if I purchased all the stuff during the first year and now it's all free. In fairness though, Destiny sounds like a game that should be F2P and it was definitely designed like a F2P game (from what I've read).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They were giving the main game + 2 DLC's away for free ages ago, its no big whoop guys, now if they give away the last and upcoming expansion for free, that'll be somethin..

Not really,ive played plenty of F2P games,Destiny doesnt feel like it was designed like a F2P game to me. Would you say Diablo 3 should have been free to play and was designed as a feee to play game?

I think its a bold move as does doing this set the expectation that future games in the series,the base part anyway,are going to be F2P? Will a player hold off initially and think it will go free to play at some point an not make an initial purchase.

At lot of this will have come about because of the split between activision and bungie. The changes the cosmetic store saw in a recent patch make more sense now. Ive a feeling bungie are gonna try expand ways they can make money from the game. Will have to see how healthy that will be for the series long term.

nix wrote: »
    They were giving the main game + 2 DLC's away for free ages ago, its no big whoop guys, now if they give away the last and upcoming expansion for free, that'll be somethin..

Giving a game away for free for a limited time vs a game being F2P are different things imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

EoinHef wrote: »
    Giving a game away for free for a limited time vs a game being F2P are different things imo.

Not saying they ain't, just saying its no big whoop :)

To be truely F2P, they will have to give the expansions away for free also, which i doubt they will, not the new one anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

When I see someone play vr I don't think ' They look like a twat', I think ' That legend is in VR. lucky person!'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement