Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Meh, tbh it's a bit OK. Lots of filler.
    Not a lover.

How did you cook them and what did you serve them with? For me, merguez is best used like chorizo or andouille and not treated like a normal pork sausage. As in, I wouldn't just cook it and eat it in its own right in a fry or with mash and gravy, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Meh, tbh it's a bit OK. Lots of filler.
    Not a lover.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I had the Mediterranean ones, fried them like a normal sausage but think they'd be nicer cooked in an oven.
    Found them a bit 'meh' but my Father loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I just tried the frozen specially selected falafel burgers and I won't be buying them again - I thought it was stodgy and bland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭bassy

The don't even look nice or appealing to me,but thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dial Hard wrote: »
    How did you cook them and what did you serve them with? For me, merguez is best used like chorizo or andouille and not treated like a normal pork sausage. As in, I wouldn't just cook it and eat it in its own right in a fry or with mash and gravy, if that makes sense.

Just fried them and had with salads and bread.
    Maybe should have done them in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Vegan sausage rolls are not bad at all, tastes like the kind of stuffing you get in a turkey and ham carvery, nice pastry aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bought a packet of the Whirlz ice lollies recently ad just had one now. Very tasty little things, and only 49 cals each to boot. Actually nicer than HB Twisters

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

dudara wrote: »
    Bought a packet of the Whirlz ice lollies recently ad just had one now. Very tasty little things, and only 49 calls each to boot. Actually nicer than HB Twisters

The Wibbly Wobbly Wonders clones someone mentioned earlier are feckin lovely too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Ben Done wrote: »
    The Wibbly Wobbly Wonders clones someone mentioned earlier are feckin lovely too!

As are their versions of Magnum and Solero. Wonder are they just rebranded boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There are lovely fruit splits in the freezer, too, most of the time.
    Lidl and Tesco do them, too and they all seem seem to be pretty much identical. Tesco much dearer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Their "paella" is quite good, granted paella isn't a five night a week dish here that I could instantly tell you if Aldi does a muck imitation of the real thing - but it's a handy bag of rice, veg, chicken shrimp and chopped chorizo to have in the freezer.

A tiny bit of fish stock would prob do no harm mixed in, but overall not a bad emergency meal to have on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,349 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody tried these?
    61626076_2028799140761370_8752227915623563264_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=c472994c5a45a9fcbae75141956627cd&oe=5D92BDCE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Saw them in the new brochure along with some other interesting products (the botanist tea piqued my interest!) - a bit pricey at 3.49 for 500g imo. Are they just for a week? They look a lot more calorific than they are - 137 kcals per 100g (approx 5% fat)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a bit pricey at 3.49 for 500g imo.
    yes, a typical chipper bag is 400-460g, typical portions on supermarket stuff would be way smaller, I find most chipper ones reheat very well in the oven and in an airfryer. I often prefer them reheated/cooked in the airfryer than straight from the chipper.
    They look a lot more calorific than they are - 137 kcals per 100g (approx 5% fat)
    The 5% is worrying, it is beef dripping which is a plus but still too low for me. In other threads I have said I hate the fact they seem to presume that if you want oven chips you want them to be low in fat -rather than convenience and wanting them to taste like deep fried ones.

mc cain gastro chips are 11.9% fat https://www.mccain.co.uk/products/chips/triple-cooked-gastro-chips/

mccain gorgeous chips with beef dripping were 12.3% fat
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259777720

Those aldi stocked ones certainly look the part uncooked but they have a facebook page and I am not impressed with the look of them actually cooked.

Note these are the actual companies photos, which are usually suspiciously good looking.

https://www.facebook.com/wallshonestchips/?tn-str=k*F

61849600_2028799240761360_7805958414571405312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0c68405aa2d9d639b73f5226d2770a1b&oe=5D96596C

61555414_2028799187428032_3797949445669126144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=456d203ffa4c5ff34e5c5628700230f5&oe=5D96EA18

If I got them I would be rolling them in a bit more oil, as I do with many oven chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Anyone see details yet of the food academy products on sale this Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Maybe it's just me, but 7 euro per kilo of chips is outrageous price, especially when I have to cook them meself. I rather go to the chippers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

will the Aldi Seasoned Lamb burgers ever come back ? I normally like making this sort of stuff myself, but I couldnt get them as nice as these were.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

RobAMerc wrote: »
    will the Aldi Seasoned Lamb burgers ever come back ? I normally like making this sort of stuff myself, but I couldnt get them as nice as these were.

Not sure if these are the ones you are looking for but I got Mediterranean style lamb burgers at the weekend, havent tried them yet. There was another type in the box cant remember what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Not sure if these are the ones you are looking for but I got Mediterranean style lamb burgers at the weekend, havent tried them yet. There was another type in the box cant remember what they were.
    Had the Mediterranean ones yesterday on the barbecue, very nice. I think the other one was Moroccan style or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Had a vegan one pot Brazillian stew (in the fridge with the pre cut fruit and the sushi in my local aldi) at the weekend and it was top notch. Black bean, quinoa, cashew nut and jalapeno.

I'm not able for significant amounts of chili heat but this was just nice and warm.

I'm a meat lover but I said I'd give it a go as I do love black bean dishes.

It also has coriander leaf listed as an ingredient but at less than 1% I couldn't taste it. I despise coriander and anyone else who has the gene that makes it taste so bad will understand that it's a relevant consideration before buying anything!

They have other varieties too which I will give a shot as well. (http://www.theskinnydoll.com/2019/05/aldi-one-pots.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Their "paella" is quite good, granted paella isn't a five night a week dish here that I could instantly tell you if Aldi does a muck imitation of the real thing - but it's a handy bag of rice, veg, chicken shrimp and chopped chorizo to have in the freezer.

Tried this today and will be getting it again. Very nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

fin12 wrote: »
    Any only Fools and Horses fans out there, these are coming into Aldi on Sunday 9th June. I think they are pretty cool.

Hi, do you know if all aldis get an amount of stock or are they generally given to the bigger stores? These OFOH toys look great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

jk23 wrote: »
    Hi, do you know if all aldis get an amount of stock or are they generally given to the bigger stores? These OFOH toys look great

I’m not sure but if I really want to get something that’s a special coming in, I’d go in early on the day they come in just to make sure. I say they will go into all Aldis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m not sure but if I really want to get something that’s a special coming in, I’d go in early on the day they come in just to make sure. I say they will go into all Aldis.

That's great to know, thanks for the reply. I know its greedy but I would like to get the 3 of them if I could. I am a huge fan of the series.

They've a new assortment of icecreams - 15 for 2.99 and it's actually a really good mix - normally there's one or two nice ones and then a load of plain icepops.

VMqjwxR.png

The mint carnival one is extremely good and I don't usually even like mint ice cream :o

About those icecreams - They are quite dinky, but that suits me perfectly because then I can have two of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Just been up to Aldi and did a bit of a random shop.

I got a few essentials (protein milk, mature cheddar, berries, etc) but I also got 2 bottles of my current favorite vino plonko - Animus from Portugal for 7.49. Its veeeery nice.

I also bought a basket for the front of my bike for €9.99. Its detachable and has a handle so you can carry it like a little shopping basket so should be handy to take to the shops for a few items. They also have ones for the that fit to the rack on the back of a bike, but I like to keep stuff up front where i can see it! Presumably they're a special buy so if anyone wants one I'd suggest moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That Animus has gone up in the last while then. Was 6.49 last time I bought it! And yes, it's very nice indeed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That Animus has gone up in the last while then. Was 6.49 last time I bought it! And yes, it's very nice indeed!!

Its the red one I'm talking about. It was 7.69 last year (the 7.49 is marked as a discount! :rolleyes:)

I think the white is still under €7 but I've only bought that once.

I should try more from their range but I just keep buying Animus because its so solid for that price.

Advertisement