Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

squadro wrote: »
    Is it aldi or lidl that have the beer battered onion rings that people say are nice?
    Thargor wrote: »
    Might be gone from Lidl now, they came back slightly different a while back but havent seen them since.

Was in Lidl Rathfarnham earlier and no beer battered onion rings so it looks like they are gone again. Someone on the Aldi thread said they saw some packets in Coolock but while the onion rings are good they are not crossing the city and back good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There's a new sweet and sour sauce in a jar, it's horrible, obviously suppliers changed, the older one was far nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in Lidl Rathfarnham earlier and no beer battered onion rings so it looks like they are gone again. Someone on the Aldi thread said they saw some packets in Coolock but while the onion rings are good they are not crossing the city and back good.

This is the Aldi thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    I compared packs and there is really very little more sugar in the brioche burger buns I compared, nothing like cake brioche.

JOhnston Mooney brioche are "5.3% of which sugars"
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=297685304

their standard are 5.2%
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273718804

Many burger buns are a little sweet anyway. Also many people smother burgers in highly sweet ketchup anyways -this is what convinced me to try them.
    I got the aldi burger & hot dog brioche and the burger is 10% and hot dog ones are 11% "of which sugars" so significantly more than other brands. Note this does not mean 10% is literally added sugar, some of the other ingredients will have naturally occurring sugar but it is quite high. That might be why I prefer them so much.

Also spotted tesco doing mini slider brioche buns from johnston mooney and obrien, 300g for €1.59 is a good price for brand name brioche.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=301268706

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I got a chicken dish in the freezer section it’s called piri piri chicken kebab.
    It’s chicken on timber scewers.a lot of chicken on it definitely a meal for 2 with a few spuds.be warned though it’s v v hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Got the specially selected tortilla chips this evening, spicy sirracha flavour - found them quite bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I got a chicken dish in the freezer section it’s called piri piri chicken kebab. It’s chicken on timber scewers.a lot of chicken on it definitely a meal for 2 with a few spuds.be warned though it’s v v hot

Got the lemon piri piri version. Saw it beside the thigh burgers and said I'd give it a go. Still to have it though. Was gonna get the hot one so glas I didn't now as the children wouldn't be able for something as hot as you say it is.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Got the lemon piri piri version. Saw it beside the thigh burgers and said I'd give it a go. Still to have it though. Was gonna get the hot one so glas I didn't now as the children wouldn't be able for something as hot as you say it is.

Yeah they are new out. I like hot food and it was right on the limit of being too hot to eat for me and I’ll eat v hot stuff normally. The kids here definitely wouldn’t eat it way too hot for them.huge amount of chicken on it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Apparently the piri-piri chicken is very nice served with the pilau rice they have in the chilled food section. I've had that pilau rice myself, and it's really good and extremely cheap - 99c for a pretty big tub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I bought the peri peri king kebab and didn't think it was great. I like moderately hot food but this just tasted spicy and had no real other flavour. Found it a bit dry too, despite following the cooking instructions precisely. Won't be repurchasing.

• Advertisement

I bought the peri peri king kebab and didn't think it was great. I like moderately hot food but this just tasted spicy and had no real other flavour. Found it a bit dry too, despite following the cooking instructions precisely. Won't be repurchasing.

The one I got was hot as fcuk charlie. The lads on the factory line probably double dipped it in piri piri to see could they kill anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The one I got was hot as fcuk charlie. The lads on the factory line probably double dipped it in piri piri to see could they kill anyone

No I'm agreeing with you! It was too spicy to taste anything else :(

No I'm agreeing with you! It was too spicy to taste anything else :(

You’re right Charlie.i won’t be getting it again either.

I'm sorry but I had a great laugh at this. :D

I'm sorry but I had a great laugh at this. :D

The fcukers working the factory line double dipping the piri piri chicken probably had a great laugh too.theyre probably keeping an ear out to hear did anyone keel over eating one.
    There was so much sauce on the fcuker I’d say it would glow in the dark.i was warped with the hunger so I ate it anyway but I’m telling ye folks be careful with it.
    I’m farting like a butchers dog all day and they’re not the kind of farts you can trust.you want to say a little prayer before releasing one and make sure there’s nobody standing downwind of you.
    Rough I tell ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

Has anyone tried the squash lentil hot pot in the fridge with the chopped fruit and sushi?

Looks nice but didn't commit to it as it has very high saturated fat but I'm sure I could be persuaded!

Actually while I'm asking anyonr try the baby potato and bacon salad in the fridge where coleslaw etc lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AhhHere

lassykk wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the squash lentil hot pot in the fridge with the chopped fruit and sushi?

Not had the squash hot pot but the brazilian black bean and quinoa is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Looks nice but didn't commit to it as it has very high saturated fat but I'm sure I could be persuaded!

Actually while I'm asking anyonr try the baby potato and bacon salad in the fridge where coleslaw etc lives?

You worried about saturated fat and asking about baby potato and bacon salad:eek:

It is good(the salad), I liked it. Never tried any equivalent from other markets so can't compare it to anything really.

I generally don't buy these salad lines too often as most of them sound better than they actually are. Fancy names and ingredients yet poor taste.

Potatoes and bacon sounds simple and taste as what they should.

I do buy a lot of sandwich fillers and find they are both good value and taste great. Easy to make a work lunch quickly and better than paying 3-5 euro for a sandwich in the shop. Tuna and Tikka Masala are my favourite. Chicken and Bacon is a bit to heavy for me.

wonski wrote: »
    You worried about saturated fat and asking about baby potato and bacon salad:eek:

It is good(the salad), I liked it. Never tried any equivalent from other markets so can't compare it to anything really.

I generally don't buy these salad lines too often as most of them sound better than they actually are. Fancy names and ingredients yet poor taste.

Potatoes and bacon sounds simple and taste as what they should.

I do buy a lot of sandwich fillers and find they are both good value and taste great. Easy to make a work lunch quickly and better than paying 3-5 euro for a sandwich in the shop. Tuna and Tikka Masala are my favourite. Chicken and Bacon is a bit to heavy for me.

Lol, worried would be a strong word I guess. More that if I'm having that much fat it I want it to be nice.

Thanks for the feedback on the salad. Will give it a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Lol, worried would be a strong word I guess. More that if I'm having that much fat it I want it to be nice.

Thanks for the feedback on the salad. Will give it a shot

Off topic, but I've found this is a great food rule generally - if I'm going to eat something that's high in calories/saturated fats/sugar etc., it had damn well better be delicious - no eating crappy biscuits just because they happen to be lying around and I'm bored and a little bit hungry :p

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    Off topic, but I've found this is a great food rule generally - if I'm going to eat something that's high in calories/saturated fats/sugar etc., it had damn well better be delicious - no eating crappy biscuits just because they happen to be lying around and I'm bored and a little bit hungry :p

Couldn't agree more.

I have a serious will power issue so there's no cakes/chocolate/crisps/sweets allowed in our house. If I get something it better be something nice!

I don't generally worry about the calories/fat in food I prepare from scratch but I'm very wary of pre pack food

Anyway, I'm going off topic!

Had a flaming hot thigh burger for dinner this evening again with a slice of smoky cheddar, some rocket and tomatoes and a bit of relish and it was feckin lovely.

Still lovin them :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

B0jangles wrote: »

I remember people tearing strips off Prue Leath on Bake Off because she quite often said something was "worth the calories" when tasting the contestants bakes. Personally I think it's a perfectly good philosophy to live by. If something is bloody delicious and you really enjoy it, who cares about the calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had those flaming hot thigh burgers today, not impressed really. A bit of heat alright but the coating was fairly tasteless. Might try the southern fried ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyone try these lamb sausages?

I'm about to inflict them on my family for dinner!!

IMG20190512140330-21557671101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hoping for good feedback. I love merguez!!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Had the mediteranian ones tonight and they were lovely.
    Cooking instructions on the packet were a bit confusing so just fried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hoping for good feedback. I love merguez!!

Grilled both packs on the BBQ (gas bbq so pretty similar to grilling or griddling) and both went down very well. Quality ingredients and both styles were well flavoured. The "Mediterranean" showed off the lamb flavour with a hint of Greek style about it (I ate them with a tzatziki dip) whilst the Merguez flavour was a little bit spicy and sour but subtle and very nice.

Will definitely buy again.

High quality deli style products at Aldi prices, just what we love about Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bought the Merguez today, looking forward to trying them.

Was searching for them in my local Aldi. Couldn't find them for ages. They weren't with all the other sausages, but in the lamb meat section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

54&56 wrote: »
    Grilled both packs on the BBQ (gas bbq so pretty similar to grilling or griddling) and both went down very well. Quality ingredients and both styles were well flavoured. The "Mediterranean" showed off the lamb flavour with a hint of Greek style about it (I ate them with a tzatziki dip) whilst the Merguez flavour was a little bit spicy and sour but subtle and very nice.

Will definitely buy again.

High quality deli style products at Aldi prices, just what we love about Aldi.

Do Aldi sell tzatziki dip? This is something I’d love to try if they do :)

Advertisement