Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

From this unused gas cage ..
    cQysgM.jpg
    To this.... anyone fancy a guess for its next use ...

iY3uV6.jpg

Fbqkzr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A frame to put a half ton bag of fertilizer on and back your spreader underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Yup ... didn't have any girder suitable to hang one from and didn't really appeal to me . so this is best option for me .. €100 for cage and a bit of time cutting and welding .

Changed the diesel filters on my old David Brown today. Now, there are 2 flat rubber seals and 2 o-rings. The top o-ring sits under the very top of the head of the bolt that holds on the filter. I have never changed this o-ring as either the engine exhaust manifold or the filter housing has to come off. I thought it was time to replace it.
    Rather than risking a leaking connection, I tried to take off the engine manifold. Got 5 nuts off, all that I could see, and no way would it budge. Onto the internet and did a search under engine manifold removal. Nothing on tractors, but on a mechanics chatroom, one guy suggested to double check all nuts were off as some can be well hidden. Low and behold, 2 more nuts hidden in behind. Off with the first but the last could not be taken off without ........removing the diesel filter housing.:mad:
    Back to plan B - off with the filter housing. Only had to open one diesel pipe connection and little enough bother after that. God the old o-rings were as flat as pancakes. Amazing they never leaked. Could be in there over 15 years.

Now, the question I have is - of the 2 smaller o-rings, which one should I have used. I used the smaller of the 2, but it had to be rolled up the bolt.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Changed the diesel filters on my old David Brown today. Now, there are 2 flat rubber seals and 2 o-rings. The top o-ring sits under the very top of the head of the bolt that holds on the filter. I have never changed this o-ring as either the engine exhaust manifold or the filter housing has to come off. I thought it was time to replace it.
    Rather than risking a leaking connection, I tried to take off the engine manifold. Got 5 nuts off, all that I could see, and no way would it budge. Onto the internet and did a search under engine manifold removal. Nothing on tractors, but on a mechanics chatroom, one guy suggested to double check all nuts were off as some can be well hidden. Low and behold, 2 more nuts hidden in behind. Off with the first but the last could not be taken off without ........removing the diesel filter housing.:mad:
    Back to plan B - off with the filter housing. Only had to open one diesel pipe connection and little enough bother after that. God the old o-rings were as flat as pancakes. Amazing they never leaked. Could be in there over 15 years.

Now, the question I have is - of the 2 smaller o-rings, which one should I have used. I used the smaller of the 2, but it had to be rolled up the bolt.

Good work Patsy. Great when things eventually work out.
    To answer your question. Is the one you have on it now sealing? If so isn't that all you want? Keep checking it for the next few days. And keep the other o ring just in case.

My own trials and tribulations this weekend revolved around replacing a broken back window in tractor (shear grab mast won out)

Refitted rubber, closing catch and tubular frame to the anew glass. Easy.
    To take off the rear hinges (still on tractor) involved loosening and lifting the roof to get at the countersunk bolt heads, 2 on each. 3 opened lovely. Last one not a budge. Tried belting in different screwhead sockets no avail. Decided then to drill out. Worked grand. Off with hinge but couldn't get rest of bolt out with vice grips so cut off, drilled out and decided to retap. All this while having the 4yo young lad kneeling on drivers seat looking out at me asking 100 questions, rearranging my socket set and spare parts and finding the minutest pieces of glass even though l had used shop vac on it.
    Anyways all was still grand until l decided to use tap in the drill. It threaded in grand but you guessed it, snapped in the hole. I was fit to be tied.

Had to come away from it before l did someone or the tractor harm!:D
    Resumed yesterday with a plan B and got all back on tractor.

All is well with the world again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

If an O ring is sliding over a bolt then i would use the tightest fitting of the two, theory is you can leave space on the outside of the ring for the rubber to expand into when the bolt is tightened, putting on a loose fitting O ring and there's a good chance it will crimp or double over itself when you tighten it and you'll have a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Muckit wrote: »
    My own trials and tribulations this weekend revolved around replacing a broken back window in tractor (shear grab mast won out)

Refitted rubber, closing catch and tubular frame to the anew glass. Easy.
    To take off the rear hinges (still on tractor) involved loosening and lifting the roof to get at the countersunk bolt heads, 2 on each. 3 opened lovely. Last one not a budge. Tried belting in different screwhead sockets no avail. Decided then to drill out. Worked grand. Off with hinge but couldn't get rest of bolt out with vice grips so cut off, drilled out and decided to retap. All this while having the 4yo young lad kneeling on drivers seat looking out at me asking 100 questions, rearranging my socket set and spare parts and finding the minutest pieces of glass even though l had used shop vac on it.
    Anyways all was still grand until l decided to use tap in the drill. It threaded in grand but you guessed it, snapped in the hole. I was fit to be tied.

Had to come away from it before l did someone or the tractor harm!:D
    Resumed yesterday with a plan B and got all back on tractor.

All is well with the world again! :D

How did you get the broken bit of tap out?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

He used large quantities of colourful language

• Advertisement

I'll let the next lad worry about it :D there's probably special toughened bits that could drill it out... but l don't have them. Drilled a new hole alongside. All my messin is hidden under the lip of the roof now!

Not being smart Muckit, but do you know how to use a tap? There's kind of a knack to it. You work it back and forth, removing and cleaning a few times. Cutting paste or fluid helps too. I'll run for cover. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Not being smart Muckit, but do you know how to use a tap? There's kind of a knack to it. You work it back and forth, removing and cleaning a few times. Cutting paste or fluid helps too. I'll run for cover. :rolleyes:

Ah Patsy, how hard can it be to use a tap....just turn it one way and the water comes out....turn it the other and it stops.....simples! :D

Anyway, quickly changing the subject - does anyone know what make these are. Saw them in Shannonside Galvanising, Limerick last week.

Try it when you've a 4yo old breaking ur melt aswell! :D
    Any recommendations on how to remove a broken tap!!??

Have you tried tapping it out sideways with a chisel?

No it well broken inside in it. No room to work a chisel or even a centre punch

Anyway, quickly changing the subject - does anyone know what make these are. Saw them in Shannonside Galvanising, Limerick last week.

Did u get that crush gate galvanised in the end? Pretty penny ld say but worth it.

Just watching AvE there on youtube. Tis a tricky one. Learn something new everyday.
    Seems l need to get me some cutting fluid and some carbide bits ...... for again.

Did u get that crush gate galvanised in the end? Pretty penny ld say but worth it.

Waiting on a call back from them. The channel I used had paint on it. Spent a couple of hours removing it with paint remover and wire brush, only to be told it had to be further sand blasted before galvanising. :mad:
    So no, it won't be so cheap now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Could be Major. Often see a few heading south on a trailer on the M17 from Tuam to be galvanised.

Just watching AvE there on youtube. Tis a tricky one. Learn something new everyday.
    Seems l need to get me some cutting fluid and some carbide bits ...... for again.

It's common enough. I remember the cursing from the floor when lads would break a tap. Not easy remove from a blind hole. I think they used drill them out, if they could. I watched a video there and one guy suggested using an engraving tool and vibrate it out. It would want to be fair loose for that.

MfMan wrote: »
    Could be Major. Often see a few heading south on a trailer on the M17 from Tuam to be galvanised.

Would it be Rossmore? Mudguards look the same.
    http://rossmoreeng.ie/index.php/farming-equipment/tankers/recessed-vacuum-tankers/1800-gl-tanker/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Ice paint on a wall this 20 years or more. I tried to powerwash it off and no joy. Petrol powerwasher.

I then got a scrubbing brush and white spirits, rubbed it on and left it for a half hour, no joy with the powerwasher again. Any ideas?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If it is big enough try a long nose pliers or long nose junior vise grips down into the hole into where the filings are supposed to come out. Take it slowly and use oil.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm guessing Rossmore by the light brackets:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

Ice paint on a wall this 20 years or more. I tried to powerwash it off and no joy. Petrol powerwasher.

I then got a scrubbing brush and white spirits, rubbed it on and left it for a half hour, no joy with the powerwasher again. Any ideas?!

Sandblast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

9" angle grinder with the knotted wire brush head, dust mask and goggles. Id only do an hour at a time, aul arms get sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Stronger power-washer.
    A good PTO one will cut into concrete.
    Also, get a rotary head for it, really gets into nooks and crannies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

The grinder is the most feasable option for me, thanks!

Advertisement