Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever brake-checked a tailgating driver?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

LillySV wrote: »
    Are u ok...?? This guy came on and said in simple terms that he went to overtake someone.... at no stage does he clarify if he spent 5 mins going about passing the other car, holding up everyone else ... he also doesn’t confirm if he actually pulled out into the right hand lane into the way of an upcoming car , not giving consideration for other road users and driving in a careless manner .

So now I’ve explained in simplistic terms that he didn’t address those issues in the first post, can u understand? Are u ok now ? Is there someone there to give you a hug and tell you everything is going to be ok....

You sure you went back and read it. He says overtaking process. As in overtaking something. Not cruising along in overtaking lane. It's completely implied he moved out to overtake and while doing so someone going much faster than the speed limit came up behind him and he had to break the speed limit to be able to complete the overtake.

You've never been on a 2 lane road doing 120 while you come up behind a car or series of cars going slower and you move out to overtake it/them while the overtaking lane is clear and safe to do so only to find some one that is doing in excess of 160 or maybe just joined from an exit and diagonally shot across the road at speed?

If it's safe to do so a driver is completely entitled to overtake into outside lane and move back in when clear. Same way someone coming up behind them doing the same thing has a right to be in the lane. But they don't have to break the speed limit to get out of a drivers way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

LillySV wrote: »
    Are u ok...?? This guy came on and said in simple terms that he went to overtake someone.... at no stage does he clarify if he spent 5 mins going about passing the other car, holding up everyone else ... he also doesn’t confirm if he actually pulled out into the right hand lane into the way of an upcoming car , not giving consideration for other road users and driving in a careless manner .

So now I’ve explained in simplistic terms that he didn’t address those issues in the first post, can u understand? Are u ok now ? Is there someone there to give you a hug and tell you everything is going to be ok....

Seriously?

He was performing an overtaking manoeuvre at the 120km limit. The BMW was excessively speeding. It’s that simple.

It’s plain weird how all motoring threads play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where's the slow lane???

On the left hand side of the fast lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

turn on your fog lights. They'll just see the red and **** themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process.

On behalf of the 90% of BMW drivers myself included who aren't twats, you have my condolences.

I will alter my road position slightly when someone is hogging a lane so that a headlight is visible in their side mirror, but from a safe distance. I think that's reasonable, as is a polite flash or beep if it goes on forever.

In my opinion it's several orders of magnitude more dangerous than excess speed in an environment with more than one lane / grade separated MW/DC.
    awec wrote: »
    Driving on motorways in Ireland is rage inducing between tail-gaters and absolute **** who drive in the overtaking lane.

The 2-lane motorways aren't so bad any more - people for the most part seem to have (after many decades) grasped the overtaking concept.

Not the case everywhere but in general.

The 3 lane motorways may as well only have 2. Everyone treats Lane 2 as Lane 1, as if it's reserved for HGVs or in some parallel universe.

In any event, brake checking anyone is suicidal, dangerous, and ought to be worth an automatic ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On the left hand side of the fast lane

Phast lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

On the left hand side of the BMW lane

Fixed that there for you.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

the_syco wrote:
    With a bit of luck, you'll brake test in front of an undercover Garda car!

Not trying to justify brake testing or anything but even if an undercover Garda is behind then 1) they're driving dangerously by tailgating and 2) the driver just says a mouse/squirrel/hare ran across the road and their split second instinct was to hit the brakes.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just cant see any way it could ever be proved beyond a reasonable doubt that a person was brake testing. Has there ever been a conviction for it in Ireland? I've never seen one on the media

I'm on a motorbike myself so the consequences of someone tailgating me and hitting me include a pretty high chance of death. Gladly it's never happened me in 15+ years of riding bikes. But it has happened me a good few times in a car. Just goes to show as soon as some people get inside that metal cage their attitude to other cars changes completely, they won't do it to a biker as they know they will likely kill them but they will do it to another car because they think they won't kill them even though they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Phast lane

The three most important things you need to know before posting on the motors forum

1. Overtaking lane = Fast lane
    2. I saw = I seen
    3. I did = I done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

No, I'd never brake check, because I'm not that stupid.
    TBH I did it in the past but found it made no difference,if I've a clown tailgating me now I gradually slow down ,and if I can give way,see or experience this weekly on corks south ring road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

kneemos wrote: »
    Seen a video of a car being brake checked and skidding out of control before over turning.

exactly, so it works op. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

I was driving a truck at night and flashed a car that was driving without lights(DRLs only). He drove from m1 interchange to Lucan exit with no lights. This genius brake tested me twice before putting on his lights, then the cheeky fecker flicked his hazards and when he realised why I was flashing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bop1977 wrote: »
    This genius brake tested me twice before putting on his lights, then the cheeky fecker flicked his hazards and when he realised why I was flashing him.

Not exactly cheeky, many people use hazards in this situation to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Admittedly I used to do it, not full on but just a sharp tap to scare them off.

Then I did it once and the guy nearly rear ended me. Not only that but he was so angry that he went full on road rage, overtook me and basically did an emergency stop.

Nowadays I drive an electric car so I (childishly) wait until they eventually try to overtake, and floor it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

This attitude in itself is incredibly dangerous. It's the same type of attitude that allows drunk people to walk out of a bar, keys in hand, and not have a word said to them. I'm alright, Jack.

If you want to speed on an empty motorway at 2am, be my guest.

But I draw the line when it comes to mine or others safety. No matter what speed I overtake others at, and I'm no slouch whatsoever, there will inevitably be people tailgating. As it happens I find it more common when I drive the same speed but in a smaller car.

I'm not stupid enough to actually brake check someone, but I'll do what's necessary to make them back off and limit risk to myself. Hazards work well.

Best one I've seen was a car driving with one wheel over the white line to kick up all kind of debris on the tailgater. He backed off very quickly, but the first car was risking a puncture.

Due consideration of course, but no way does that extend to people doing 160kph, as I see regularly. Obviously the brake testing part is stupid.

As it happens, I had a Garda brake check me the other day. Was doing 120kph on a quiet motorway, in the left lane. Was cut off by an X5 with just a few meters to spare, so I flashed him.

He then immediately slammed on the brakes, slowing to about 30kph. I had to brake as hard as I could to avoid hitting him. I backed off, and he waved his Garda badge out the window. Then drove in the hard shoulder to force me to overtake, and then tailgated me for a few km to his exit. I was very sorry to not be in my own car with a dashcam that day.

What are you rambling on about. You should worry about your own driving and keep our of someone's way if you think they are unsafe. It's not your job to police the road.

I am one of those people who will sit on someone's back bumper on the motorway. Finish your overtaking manoeuvre and pull out of the way. Likewise if im in the right hand lane and see someone up my are I pull back into the left and just get on with my life.
    If I am speeding it's none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I stay in the over taking lane until it is safe to move over. I tend to be overly cautious however if there is an idiot like that behind me and take my sweet mf time.

I also don't give him the opportunity to undertake.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I am one of those people who will sit on someone's back bumper on the motorway. Finish your overtaking manoeuvre and pull out of the way.

Which one are you, an Audi or BMW driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I just ease off slowly without braking until they get the message.

Yep and/or just carry on overtaking, signal left but take that bit longer to ease back into left lane.

Mind you these eejits speeding in the overtaking lane are not quite as annoying as the other eejits who cruise along at the speed limit in same overtaking lane and think they have a God given right to occupy it till they get to their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BarryD2 wrote: »
    eejits who cruise along at the speed limit in same overtaking lane and think they have a God given right to occupy it till they get to their destination.

This is and will always be my biggest pet hate on the road. There is a 3 mile stretch of dual carriageway on my way to work and you'll get gobshytes sitting in the right lane all the way to the end at 40mph (50mph zone) and presumably justify it in their head because they're taking a right at the roundabout at the end!

Mind you the ones who do the same stretch in the overtaking lane and then change lane at the end to go left baffle me entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yep and/or just carry on overtaking, signal left but take that bit longer to ease back into left lane.

Mind you these eejits speeding in the overtaking lane are not quite as annoying as the other eejits who cruise along at the speed limit in same overtaking lane and think they have a God given right to occupy it till they get to their destination.
    More this than false braking, just a nice gentle, considered, careful overtaking movement. Many a time I've been on the M1 or the M50 in quieter traffic and seen a lone car tootling along in the right lane, invariably somewhat below the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Which one are you, an Audi or BMW driver?

Van.

I'm actually busy and have things to do. People who don't have the abilities to do even the basic of tasks pay me silly money to do it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sure sounds like you were hogging the right lane?

He said he was going 120kph. Nobody behind him should be looking to overtake at that speed or exceeding that limit regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I was overtaking on the motorway yesterday, going about 120kph, and a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process. Then he sped off at light speed after I pulled in to the "slow lane" now over the speed limit as I was trying to get him off my arse.

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?

Yes Garda, this comment right here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I was overtaking on the motorway yesterday, going about 120kph, and a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process. Then he sped off at light speed after I pulled in to the "slow lane" now over the speed limit as I was trying to get him off my arse.

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?

And if he panics and crashes?
    Just finish your overtake and move back to the left.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Van.

I'm actually busy and have things to do. People who don't have the abilities to do even the basic of tasks pay me silly money to do it for them

Ah yeah, the stereotypical "white van man" that thinks they have the same rights as an ambulance, when the reality is they're just delivery boys.

Vans should be banned from the overtaking lanes just likes HGV's are.
    They restrict the view for drivers behind them.

The most idiotic ones are the ones who have their company logo all over the van and still drive like idiots. I've reported a couple of those in my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Banned from overtaking lanes when they can do the required speed :D

Give your head a little wobble there.

Banned from overtaking lanes when they can do the required speed :D

Nothing to do with speed.

I hate being stuck behind a van on a motorway as it's much more difficult to see what's ahead of them. But if you're behind a car then you can see through their windows and they're lower too, it all helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

It was to my left. I was overtaking a slow car in the slow lane.

Theres no slow lane Jackie, it's the driving lane
    The right hand lane is the overtaking lane.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Here's a little trick I use when someone is tailgating me.

Instead of being a c*nt and slowing their journey down even more, I imagine that they are on their way somewhere important, put myself in their shoes. Did they just get bad news, are they on their way to be at someone's bedside. Maybe they have a sick child in the car. Maybe just maybe they're not just trying to bully me.

I'd like to hope that on at least one occasion I was right not to jam on my brakes or slow down to an annoyingly slow pace.

But that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I've reported a couple of those in my time.

I've taken a few calls from cranks whinging about some of our drivers, we check the cams and very rarely anything wrong with the driving. It takes all sorts.

Advertisement