Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever brake-checked a tailgating driver?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Are you the type of twat that stays in the overtaking lane indefinitely?

Are you the type of twats that reads people's posts fully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think the confusion is some people think that once you are overtaking then it's ok to be in the overtaking lane while others think that not only should you be overtaking but you should be matching the seed of nearby cars even if that mean exceeding the speed limit. Something about making progress.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

tuxy wrote: »
    I think the confusion is some people think that once you are overtaking then it's ok to be in the overtaking lane while others think that not only should you be overtaking but you should be matching the seed of nearby cars even if that mean exceeding the speed limit. Something about making progress.......

That's horse manure. You shouldn't be breaking the speed limit for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?

Fog lights are handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

those arent people break checking tailgaters, those are attempted insurance scam crashes caught on dash cams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's horse manure. You shouldn't be breaking the speed limit for any reason.
    To complete an overtaking manoeuvre you may have to, briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

is_that_so wrote: »
    To complete an overtaking manoeuvre you may have to, briefly.

That's like saying - " To drive really fast, you may have to break the speed limit".

If you can't overtake within the speed limit, then don't overtake.

Simples.

Allinall wrote: »
    That's like saying - " To drive really fast, you may have to break the speed limit".

If you can't overtake within the speed limit, then don't overtake.

Simples.
    It's really not. It says I need to go faster than the allowed speed limit, 50, 60, 80 etc. Not always your decision. Bad driver behaviour can force it on you but hey some of us just live in a simple world.

Not always your decision. Bad driver behaviour can force it on you but hey some of us just live in a simple world.

Force what on you?

Force what on you?
    A higher speed by increasing speed and speeding up as you overtake.

• Advertisement

A higher speed by increasing speed and speeding up as you overtake.

Then you slow back down and pull in behind the idiot.

How fast would you be prepared to go if they kept matching your increase in speed?

How fast would you be prepared to go if they kept matching your increase in speed?

It's a judgement call and thankfully it doesn't happen often. If they are playing silly buggers then yes you pull back, if it's just a momentary inattentive increase then complete the manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?

best to just get out of the way. you never know what might happen as a result of you applying your brakes, even for a split second, he might skid and crash, maybe even causing a death in his car or another?

check your mirrors, overtake, then pull back in ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

and if the idiot behind them has increased their speed and filled the gap in anticipation of overtaking in turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

I was overtaking on the motorway yesterday, going about 120kph, and a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process. Then he sped off at light speed after I pulled in to the "slow lane" now over the speed limit as I was trying to get him off my arse.

Just put your indicator on and pull in really slowly. You will see the veins popping on their forehead as they pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Doesn't matter what lane I'm driving or riding my bike, motorway or national road if someone comes up my ass at speed and starts flashing I'll always move out of their way.

They might have a very good reason why they're in a hurry, its not for me to decide if that's the case or if they're just being an ass.

If they're being an ass they'll catch up with them sometime, if there was a genuine reason why they're in a hurry I've just helped make their journey a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I'll let them past if at all possible, if there's an impatient arsehole on the same road as me I'd rather have them in front of me then behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's really not. It says I need to go faster than the allowed speed limit, 50, 60, 80 etc. Not always your decision. Bad driver behaviour can force it on you but hey some of us just live in a simple world.

You could hit the middle pedal instead of the right one, but that's not in the mentality here.

"Someone forced me to speed" :D

A bigger boy made me do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

If someone decides they want to risk their own life, and that my kids and I, by driving way to close to the rear of my vehicle. Then I get to decide what speed they would hit me at and I slow down.

No brakes just lift the foot off the accelerator. Slowing down also gives them the opportunity to get in front and take their stupid dangerous driving far away from me.

No brakes just lift the foot off the accelerator.

Don't do this - you're just increasing the chances of an accident.

The only thing you can control in the situation is your speed, but if you're going to slow down, use the brakes.

• Advertisement

Don't do this - you're just increasing the chances of an accident.

The only thing you can control in the situation is your speed, but if you're going to slow down, use the brakes.

A car is literally feet from your rear bumper at speed and you advocate braking? Braking in that situation as opposed to slowly lowering your speed under control by deceleration?

I hope to **** that you're not some sort of driving instructor and instead just are just someone who hasn't a clue.

Don't rip up your L/:rolleyes:N plates too soon.

If you just lift off the accelerator and they aren't paying sufficient attention, you are increasing the chance they will hit you.

You only have to put very slight pressure on the brake pedal for the lights to come on and have a similar effect to just easing up on the accelerator but with the advantage that they will see your brake lights come on and presumably slow down as well.

I'm not talking about jamming the brakes on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hardly ever get tailed- and a very easy solution to this is stay out of the overtaking unless overtaking and always paying attention to traffic behind me. If I see someone approaching at speed I just let them off, no point stressing over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I like to wash my windscreen repeatedly when being tailgated.

If you just lift off the accelerator and they aren't paying sufficient attention, you are increasing the chance they will hit you.

You only have to put very slight pressure on the brake pedal for the lights to come on and have a similar effect to just easing up on the accelerator but with the advantage that they will see your brake lights come on and presumably slow down as well.

I'm not talking about jamming the brakes on here...

If they're not paying enough attention, braking is the thing that will increase the chances they will hit you. Or you hit something as you almost invariably look in the rear view mirror too long as you "tap" the brakes.

I'm not going to risk braking in front of an effin eejit that is already displaying signs of being a pathetic driver.

You feel free to do it and if you don't get away with it and there's a collision, pray they don't have a dashcam and a solicitor on speed dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Would I ever brake check never. Why because I like driving my car and not having to pay it to be fixed for doing something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

If it's safe to pull in to the left lane i will, but if not and someones still tailgating i generally put on my rear fog lights, then pull in when i can and let them off. i say a little prayer as they pass that there is a garda speed check ahead and they get caught. prayer doesn't work as often as the god-botherers would have you believe - might have something to do with the lack of actual speed checks on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

tuxy wrote: »

Making progress does not speeding over the speed limit. I can see you in your driving test failing for going over the speed limit and justifying I was only making progress

Advertisement