Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever brake-checked a tailgating driver?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

She changed her tune quick enough after a box in the gob. Mouthy bitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Just finish your overtaking manoeuvre and go back into the left hand lane. Worry about yourself. Ignore the other guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its just wasting your time/energy/breath doing this to these ignorant morons. nothing will change their behaviour.
    they have themselves absolutely convinced they own the roads, they're the best drivers out there and heaven help anyone who gets in their miserable pathetic way.

theres no 'slow lane 'btw. its the driving lane (though im sure someone will come along with a more official name) and an overtaking lane.
    but what do i know* sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

[

Sure sounds like you were hogging the right lane?

Definitely not. I was actually overtaking a bit over the speed limit if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Leave the brake only and just throw on the rear fog lights. Has the same effect but you can accelerate away nicely at the same time.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

I just wash my windscreen if someone is tailgating me.

If they persist I turn on my dipped lights so that my headlamp washers are activated to give them a good soaking

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Try braking and accelerating at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seen a video of a car being brake checked and skidding out of control before over turning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

PatM65 wrote: »
    I just wash my windscreen if someone is tailgating me.

If they persist I turn on my dipped lights so that my headlamp washers are activated to give them a good soaking

You know a lot of cars now have auto wipers? My 14 year old Toyota has them. All you would be doing is giving someone a free window wash.

It's not particularly bright to brake-check a tailgater when inches from your bumper. I generally put on my hazard lights as a signal to back off. Failing that, I indicate into the shoulder as necessary to let the impatient character through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's not particularly bright to brake-check a tailgater when inches from your bumper. I generally put on my hazard lights as a signal to back off. Failing that, I indicate into the shoulder as necessary to let the impatient character off.

You're positively reinforcing their behaviour that ends up making them do it more often to the rest of us. That said, if that's what works for you I can understand not worrying about other drivers.

You're positively reinforcing their behaviour that ends up making them do it more often to the rest of us. That said, if that's what works for you I can understand not worrying about other drivers.

Life is too short to be inheriting additional problems. I rely on common sense, as opposed to inciting a moron to rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

If you had been overtaking at an appropriate speed, then your should have been back in the left lane by time that guy came up behind ya.... or is it a case that you pulled out into the right lane without checking for cars coming up in right hand lane... meaning you were the one that was wrong?

Either way it’s dangerous and stupid to consider brake checking someone and putting lives at risk ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

LillySV wrote: »
    If you had been overtaking at an appropriate speed, then your should have been back in the left lane by time that guy came up behind ya.... or is it a case that you pulled out into the right lane without checking for cars coming up in right hand lane... meaning you were the one that was wrong?

Either way it’s dangerous and stupid to consider brake checking someone and putting lives at risk ...

Read his first post slowly and carefully. Then read it again. He explains what happened in simple terms. Too hard to grasp for some it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The beemers wife could have been in labour in the back seat. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    The beemers wife could have been in labour in the back seat. Who knows.

A Beemer owner would have put her out on the side of the road to save the upholstery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Handful of small ball bearings tossed out the sunroof.....all I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was overtaking on the motorway yesterday, going about 120kph, and a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process. Then he sped off at light speed after I pulled in to the "slow lane" now over the speed limit as I was trying to get him off my arse.

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?

Do it sometimes. I just activate the brake lights or even just turn on the fog lights. For overly aggressive drivers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Pull up the handbrake slowly. That way you slow down but the driver behind does not get the brake light warnings.

60% of the time, it works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone that's idiotic enough to even consider something as stupid and dangerous as brake checking needs their license revoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've had it done to me by a person that would have overtaken me as they seemed to take it to heart that I was passing a slower moving vehicle and pulled in as soon as I passed....

This is happening a lot more since I changed cars as I'm not as hard on the right pedal as I use to but will not get in the way or pull out if a vehicle is coming up which I never would anyway.

There are some seriously dangerous fools out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sounds like a great idea. Make sure it's an 18 wheeler behind you when you do it.

Reddit

/idiotsincars

:D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Just finish your overtaking manoeuvre and go back into the left hand lane. Worry about yourself. Ignore the other guy
    This a thousand times. This thread scarily shows a lot of people thinking they should be the poliss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pablo128 wrote: »
    Put your hazard lights on if there is a hazard such as someone driving a foot or 2 from your bumper.
    I've tried that, it doesn't work.

They keep blocking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process
    So in other words, you went to overtake without due consideration to other road users. And then asked if you should "brake test"? Perhaps use your wing mirrors next time?

With a bit of luck, you'll brake test in front of an undercover Garda car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If you want to piss them off just slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Wailin wrote: »
    Read his first post slowly and carefully. Then read it again. He explains what happened in simple terms. Too hard to grasp for some it seems.

Are u ok...?? This guy came on and said in simple terms that he went to overtake someone.... at no stage does he clarify if he spent 5 mins going about passing the other car, holding up everyone else ... he also doesn’t confirm if he actually pulled out into the right hand lane into the way of an upcoming car , not giving consideration for other road users and driving in a careless manner .

So now I’ve explained in simplistic terms that he didn’t address those issues in the first post, can u understand? Are u ok now ? Is there someone there to give you a hug and tell you everything is going to be ok....

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Driving on motorways in Ireland is rage inducing between tail-gaters and absolute **** who drive in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I slowed right down for a couple hundred yards instead.

Don't bother anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Blueshoe wrote: »

This attitude in itself is incredibly dangerous. It's the same type of attitude that allows drunk people to walk out of a bar, keys in hand, and not have a word said to them. I'm alright, Jack.

If you want to speed on an empty motorway at 2am, be my guest.

But I draw the line when it comes to mine or others safety. No matter what speed I overtake others at, and I'm no slouch whatsoever, there will inevitably be people tailgating. As it happens I find it more common when I drive the same speed but in a smaller car.

I'm not stupid enough to actually brake check someone, but I'll do what's necessary to make them back off and limit risk to myself. Hazards work well.

Best one I've seen was a car driving with one wheel over the white line to kick up all kind of debris on the tailgater. He backed off very quickly, but the first car was risking a puncture.
    the_syco wrote: »
    So in other words, you went to overtake without due consideration to other road users. And then asked if you should "brake test"? Perhaps use your wing mirrors next time?

With a bit of luck, you'll brake test in front of an undercover Garda car!

Due consideration of course, but no way does that extend to people doing 160kph, as I see regularly. Obviously the brake testing part is stupid.

As it happens, I had a Garda brake check me the other day. Was doing 120kph on a quiet motorway, in the left lane. Was cut off by an X5 with just a few meters to spare, so I flashed him.

He then immediately slammed on the brakes, slowing to about 30kph. I had to brake as hard as I could to avoid hitting him. I backed off, and he waved his Garda badge out the window. Then drove in the hard shoulder to force me to overtake, and then tailgated me for a few km to his exit. I was very sorry to not be in my own car with a dashcam that day.

Advertisement