Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever brake-checked a tailgating driver?

Options
  • 03-06-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I was overtaking on the motorway yesterday, going about 120kph, and a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process. Then he sped off at light speed after I pulled in to the "slow lane" now over the speed limit as I was trying to get him off my arse.

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Where's the slow lane???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Sounds like a great idea. Make sure it's an 18 wheeler behind you when you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sounds like a great idea. Make sure it's an 18 wheeler behind you when you do it.

In rainy conditions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Two wrongs don't make a right. You are less likely to cause an accident being patient than you are brake checking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was overtaking on the motorway yesterday, going about 120kph, and a BMW came zooming up my arse and was practically sniffing it for the entire overtaking process. Then he sped off at light speed after I pulled in to the "slow lane" now over the speed limit as I was trying to get him off my arse.

Next time I might brake check these feckers. Not actually brake at that speed, but just activate the brake lights and make them back off. Anybody do this before? Does it work?
    Don't do it.

Put your hazard lights on if there is a hazard such as someone driving a foot or 2 from your bumper. Unfortunately there are dickheads out there that will drive like that but run crying to the Gardai if you brake test them. You will end up worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

And let an idiot kill you??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sounds like you were touring along in the right hand lane...

Next time try to stay in the left hand most lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Safer alternative.

DRVEMB1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That just means there's two dangerous idiots on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Where's the slow lane???

It was to my left. I was overtaking a slow car in the slow lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No, I'd never brake check, because I'm not that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Brake checking is for amateurs!
    Those brake lights give tail gaters too much of a warning!

Just drop from 5th to 3rd all of a sudden!
    That will keep them awake ;)

On a serious note, no.
    I don't want to be responsible for some other idiot making a mistake that could lead to their harm and or mine.
    As I get older, tailgaters bother me much less than people who don't understand what an overtaking lane is or how to competently use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Two wrongs don't make a right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ha! You may have gotten a nasty surprise had you done that. An Garda have a few dark unmarked BMWs.
    If someone is on my bumper while I'm overtaking I just put on the left indicator as an acknowledgement that I see them and I will move over when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It was to my left. I was overtaking a slow car in the slow lane.

Travelling lane and overtaking lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Arent we all just a bunch of saints here :rolleyes:

Ya...i done it....not full brake check...but a tap enough to set off the lights to warn off

People acting the dick on the road only have emselves to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sure sounds like you were hogging the right lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I just ease off slowly without braking until they get the message.

I will admit that I have been known to ease up on the throttle when being tailgated, and then flooring it. This ensures that the car following me gets its daily dose of diesel soot and fumes into it's vents.

Childish, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I done it a few times and the look on their faces was sweet, it wasn't long taking the wind out of their sails. I'd do it again to, no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Although tailgating is without doubt one of the most rage-inducing things that someone can do to you on the roads, and is indicative of an absolute retard, its best not to play games or even make eye contact with the person. Just keep going at your normal speed and if possible pull into the hard shoulder and let them off- not your circus, not your monkey. The #1 thing is to just keep driving safely and try and get some distance between them, be it a roundabout or if they are really annoying you just go somewhere else and then back up. Games or tit for tat on the roads just leaves you dead.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

There are some head the balls out there alright. I came across a fella in Cork yesterday who seemingly wanted a race, at every set of traffic lights he was looking at me and put the boot down as if to make a point while I took off gently, and when we finally got onto the main road I got up to 120 at normal acceleration, went to overtake him and he put the boot down again until finally giving up. Bizarre.

Sure sounds like you were hogging the right lane?

No it sounds like he was overtaking a slower car and some wankbag drove up his arse being a dick.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

If someone tailgaits me I just slow down rather than brake-check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

_blaaz wrote: »
    Arent we all just a bunch of saints here :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with being a "saint", everything to with not wanting to be rear-ended by some numbskull.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just slowly reduce speed by lifting your right foot completely until youre at a complete halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I often thought of checking if I could get some sort of scrolling message for the back window. "I have 9 Points, I can't go any quicker" I don't have any points, but tailgaters annoy me, when I am at the speed limit.

It's worse on ordinary roads, because I would always get out of the way of someone doing over the limit on the motorway. But on winding two lane roads they can't overtake so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nothing to do with being a "saint", everything to with not wanting to be rear-ended by some numbskull.

They prob want the compo from being rear ended.

Advertisement