Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Donegal also had one of the most innovate, forward thinking, ahead of his time managers football has ever seen who played to an ultra rigid & defensive system but ultimately brought them to glory.

We had the same in hurling & was ran out of the job by a county board who had no ambition & hurling purists / snobs / knobs who said it was proper hurling that sweeper **** - we were in actual fact a puck of a ball from an all Ireland under Derek & by Christ could we do with him back.

Derek won a league but was relegated twice.. Derek's record in Munster is played 11, won 2, drew 2 and lost 7.

Why is he seen as a Messiah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

In all seriousness....id be removing your phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

_blaaz wrote: »
    In all seriousness....id be removing your phone number

Retarded carry on trying to arrange a meeting with a guy from an Internet forum to discuss hurling and to top it all costa coffee the suggested venue.

Don’t know if any of you recall ‘sid wallace’ from the ‘An fear rua’ days.......probably one of the best contributors to any Waterford hurling and in fact any county hurling forum during the late 90’s to early 00’s......staunch mt sion man from memory.......so would be interesting to get his take on the whole situation at present and how to fix it and de-tag Waterford as being the next ‘offaly’........!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Don’t know if any of you recall ‘sid wallace’ from the ‘An fear rua’ days.......probably one of the best contributors to any Waterford hurling and in fact any county hurling forum during the late 90’s to early 00’s......staunch mt sion man from memory.......so would be interesting to get his take on the whole situation at present and how to fix it and de-tag Waterford as being the next ‘offaly’........!!

An fearrua......going back abit now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Road-Hog wrote: »

I do remember Sid....loved the anfearrua website, fantastic articles too.

I arranged nothing you liar

Ring me I’m waiting on the call

I’ll ring ya. You seem to be desperate. Prefer insomnia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Sid Wallace was great on An Fear Rua, posted here for a small bit too I think?

Clarehurlers was the best though, around 2002-2006?

Tramore84 wrote: »
    I do remember Sid....loved the anfearrua website, fantastic articles too.

He wrote some great stuff alright and always gave out a bit of local history also........Ballygunner followers were referred to as the ‘Jeep brigade’ and instead of over buttered ham sandwiches and tae out of the boot of the car they would have smoked salmon on soda bread and a caraf of white wine to wash it down on fold up table and chairs that would fit comfortably in the back of the Range Rover

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

It is interesting that the only players coming out of this with any credit are the players who were not part of the McGrath regime. Callam Lyons and Conor Prunty who I though was like a collosus trying to hold back a tsunami yesterday!

From the outside looking in it appears that the players have no faith in the new management whether that is warranted or not I don't know as I'm not privy to the goings on in the camp. The "Love in" between the players and Derek was taking player-management to a new level and it very nearly got us an All-Ireland. It may be that the players haven't got over the break up and are either unable to or don't want to adjust to a new manager.

Player power has ousted two managers in the recent past In Justin and Michael Ryan. Maybe the players want to oust Paric but feel they won't garner public support within the county if they take this route again so the easier way is to down tools with poor performances and have the job done for them.

I would suspect the the current Management set up is out of its depth and will "Step down" after the championship. Question is who will replace them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

This is gas. Thanks for lightening the mood for 5 mins with this ****e lads.

If we managed to organise a protest march there'd be slaps thrown after about 10 yards and everyone would go home or go to Costa coffee sulking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Teebor15 wrote: »
    It is interesting that the only players coming out of this with any credit are the players who were not part of the McGrath regime. Callam Lyons and Conor Prunty who I though was like a collosus trying to hold back a tsunami yesterday!

From the outside looking in it appears that the players have no faith in the new management whether that is warranted or not I don't know as I'm not privy to the goings on in the camp. The "Love in" between the players and Derek was taking player-management to a new level and it very nearly got us an All-Ireland. It may be that the players haven't got over the break up and are either unable to or don't want to adjust to a new manager.

Player power has ousted two managers in the recent past In Justin and Michael Ryan. Maybe the players want to oust Paric but feel they won't garner public support within the county if they take this route again so the easier way is to down tools with poor performances and have the job done for them.

I would suspect the the current Management set up is out of its depth and will "Step down" after the championship. Question is who will replace them?

Henry Shefflin would be the dream choice.

The last management didnt have a panel so much as a hierarchy of lads who were guaranteed starters who were untouchable and a second group of lads there to make up the numbers in training games. Prunty and Lyons wouldn't have gotten a look in if they were still there as I'm sure Coughlan would have stayed on and Derek would name 7 half backs to cover him.
    The untouchables are downing tools now by the looks of it, I'd say that panel is pure toxic these days. Feel bad for the lads who busted themselves yesterday, brick ran 60 yards killing himself while other lads cantered along watching him. Gona stop now before i bust a blood vessel and leave it with a good clear out is needed.

Henry Shefflin would be the dream choice.

Based on what? Managing a cracking club side that was already well able to win club all irelands to win a club all ireland?

I'd like someone like Donal OGrady but fat chance of that happening. The likes of Pat Ryan and Matty Kenny would have been good but sure the county board made a hames of appointing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Ropaire wrote: »

Based on what? Managing a cracking club side that was already well able to win club all irelands to win a club all ireland?

Stardust, baby, stardust. That's why he used the phrase "dream choice". It is not a rational suggestion. And Shefflin would be far too cute to touch that job with the proverbial considering the risk of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

You’re making a bit of a fool out of yourself here. This forum is surely not the place to start calling lads out over not meeting for a coffee- irrespective of whether its Insomnia or Costa. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

100% inexperienced newcomers wiling to through wall for the cause, try will be great leaders in time

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I'd love to see an outside manager come in and have a serious cull of the panel. Prunty, Callum Lyons and Jack Prendergast have shown that we have lads who can step up to senior county level and I'd prefer to see some more young lads given a chance instead of some the players who decided to simply step playing. I still cant get my head around the fact that our senior county team - or a significant number of players anyway - just stopped trying and couldn't be bothered to compete.

Just cant see any decent outside manager wanting it now though, Mattie Kenny must be thanking his lucky stars the county board made those ridiculous demands about fundraising obligations.

Where we go form here I just dont know. Sean Power is the obvious candidate locally but its long rumoured the current panel dont want him either. Could well be Derek stepping back in unless the county board stand up to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'd like to see Shefflin have a crack at it. Would he is another question. . I think the players would look up to him. I think he's probably the next KK manager in waiting but there's no guarantee Cody will step down for a good few years yet. I like he's analysis on the Sunday game, he's very much in touch with the modern tactics but dosent blow himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I'd love to see an outside manager come in and have a serious cull of the panel. Prunty, Callum Lyons and Jack Prendergast have shown that we have lads who can step up to senior county level and I'd prefer to see some more young lads given a chance instead of some the players who decided to simply step playing. I still cant get my head around the fact that our senior county team - or a significant number of players anyway - just stopped trying and couldn't be bothered to compete.

Just cant see any decent outside manager wanting it now though, Mattie Kenny must be thanking his lucky stars the county board made those ridiculous demands about fundraising obligations.

Where we go form here I just dont know. Sean Power is the obvious candidate locally but its long rumoured the current panel dont want him either. Could well be Derek stepping back in unless the county board stand up to the players.

If we have a cull we won't have a team. Looking at the state of county championship there isn't many fellas sticking their hand up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

If we have a cull we won't have a team. Looking at the state of county championship there isn't many fellas sticking their hand up!

We dont seem to have much of a team right now, though.

I'd prefer to have young inexperienced players busting themselves for the jersey than fellas who couldnt be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    We dont seem to have much of a team right now, though.

I'd prefer to have young inexperienced players busting themselves for the jersey than fellas who couldnt be bothered.

True enough...we are in a tight spot right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

I'd like to see Shefflin have a crack at it. Would he is another question. . I think the players would look up to him. I think he's probably the next KK manager in waiting but there's no guarantee Cody will step down for a good few years yet. I like he's analysis on the Sunday game, he's very much in touch with the modern tactics but dosent blow himself up.

There’s 2 chances of Henry Shefflin being the next manager (of Waterford).

Maybe he’ll take over Kilkenny and Cody will grab the chance of putting some manners on the Waterford fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Maybe he’ll take over Kilkenny and Cody will grab the chance of putting some manners on the Waterford fellas.

Ha don't think so poor old Brian would get a stroke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The only outside guy who could consider it that I can think of is Colm Bonnar. But I'm not sure the Waterford job is a particularly attractive one right now. Even inside the county aside from Derek McGrath are we looking at anyone other than Sean Power, Peter Queally or Fergal Hartley?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

I brought myself to Watch Derek's speech at the homecoming after 2017 all Ireland, the talk of a team refusing to give in, relentless in their pursuit of bringing home the McCarthy cup, what a load of old bollocks that has turned out to be.

A team that went out on the p1ss last night after a 20 point hammering should be ashamed of themselves and dont deserve the support of the Waterford people next weekend. At the end of the day, that team were competitive up to a number of months ago in the league, where has it all gone wrong.

Being honest too, I feel pity for Padraig Fanning, hes come in and taken over a toxic dressing room that clearly has no interest in listening to anyone else other than Derek McGrath. The team need to realise that McGrath's time has come and gone and he brought that team as far as he could!

Where to next? God only knows, It's an ideal situation for someone making a name for themselves in intercounty management, Waterford are at the lowest point they have been for over 20 years so if you come in and miraculously get out of Munster your are heralded a hero but if it's a repeat of what we saw yesterday people can acknowledge that the so called golden generation are clearly not what we thought they were.

Finally I think the behaviour of stopitwillya and Saturday man tonight is what Derek meant when he spoke of this team being a mirror image of the Waterford people with their petulance and childish strops.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Based in cork these days close to Pat Ryan’s club. Pat Ryan was county boards choice and had accepted the position. Ryan was diagnosed with an illness shortly after which prevented him from taking up the role. Presume this led to the debacle of all media reporting him as the new manager and then fanning eventually getting it a few weeks later.

I’m certainly not supportive of the current co. Board but infairness to them they did look outside of the county to a coach who is (I’m told) highly regarded in Cork GAA circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Is the only positive to come of this (besides Prendergast, Lyons and Prunty) is that we now have regular championship games in Waterford City generating a regular income into the county.

I know the stadium cost will have to be repaid but it still gives the county board flexibility with an actual revenue stream to properly invest at Underage.

The only hope is that people show up to games to fill the stadium to generate this cash. Hopefully we can get a result against Cork and improve a bit next year so that we actually have money to invest in the future.

Ropaire wrote: »

I'd like someone like Donal OGrady but fat chance of that happening. The likes of Pat Ryan and Matty Kenny would have been good but sure the county board made a hames of appointing them.

He’s rated as being a top class manager by thissr and and proved by sauntering to an AI in his first season. But DOG out of the game with 10 years is the right man for it because you couldn’t think of anyone else

• Advertisement

Why not? he would recognise good players in Waterford and the KK job is not available for another few years. The only deterrent is the county board if he got 10 mins of Paddy Joe he’d see through the BS straight away and turn and walk the other way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement