Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I think Saoirse McHugh's vote could even be underestimated at 12% Just from chatting to people who had voted today.
    i myself was going to give her some sort of voted but only switched to number 1 when filling in the paper. i have heard a few similar stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They are not Dublin based, which is where the housing anomalies are happening between workers and scratchers.

And people in Dublin are voting green.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nobelium wrote: »
    So true . . . grand for those who can put in some 50 grand heating / solar / wind system and buy an new electric car every 2 years

My personal experience of green (so called) voters are they are solidly middle class, live in a nice part of town, and take numerous foreign holidays (always very well travelled and let you know about it). Probably the highest carbon emissions of any citizens if the truth were told. I’ve found the climate change hysteria deeply nauseating tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

No, but they might well put taxes on the things that actually ARE a threat to the environment - plane flights, diesel engines, plastic, plastic, plastic.

So no more holidays for joe soap. Anyone with a diesel screwed even more. A green version of fine Gael.

Do you think our suffering will keep the Chinese or Indians up at night. Guilt them into changing their ways.
    Walking us into more taxes which will make absolutely no difference to the environment. There are no alternatives in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Think Wallace has finally put the nail in the coffin of Malcolm Byrne doing anything other than a lowly councillor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

grbear wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how Midlands-Northwest plays out but I'm delighted to see that Rabbitte failed miserably.

Whut?

Nobody, not FFs biggest fan, expected Rabbitte to win. She was just there to hoover up a few local votes and transfer preferences to Mr. Say Cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And people in Dublin are voting green.

I mentioned earlier that this was a kick to the main parties who have not listened to the struggling commuters paying for the scratchers. I think they may have to listen now. And yes, the irony of commuters using fossil fuel to get to their jobs voting Green, OMG. But they have little choice do they?

A perfect opportunity for FFG to tackle this in the name of being green. ;)

But I may have got the wrong end of the stick from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Anyone think Lynn Boylan still has a chance? Think FF could be in trouble there too.

Cuffe and Fitzgerald will take seats.

Green surplus could decide between Daly, Andrews and Boylan for the last two seats. I think Boylan will lose out, but it is only exit poll.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    So no more holidays for joe soap. Anyone with a diesel screwed even more. A green version of fine Gael.

Do you think our suffering will keep the Chinese or Indians up at night. Guilt them into changing their ways.
    Walking us into more taxes which will make absolutely no difference to the environment. There are no alternatives in Ireland.

No but middle class teachers will feel all warm and fuzzy inside with their smugness transferred onto the shoulders of the poor

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Faugheen wrote: »
    I won’t rule it out completely but SF are very transfer toxic. She’s in big trouble.

I think it will be Cuffe and Fitzgerald followed by Daly who should pick up enough transfers to put her ahead of Andrews who will then be in a fight for the last seat with Boylan.
    While SF are traditionally transfer toxic a decent proportion of the smaller candidates are more closely aligned politically to SF than FF which could make things very interesting.

• Advertisement

These days with the google and all it isn't hard to look things up instead of making an idiot of yourself.

And yet...
    well you are very aggressive aren't you. you must not be a Green supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

No, but they might well put taxes on the things that actually ARE a threat to the environment - plane flights, diesel engines, plastic, plastic, plastic.

Planes and cars ugh, can't they tax big companies who endanger the environment instead

blanch152 wrote: »
    Cuffe and Fitzgerald will take seats.

Green surplus could decide between Daly, Andrews and Boylan for the last two seats. I think Boylan will lose out, but it is only exit poll.

I don't understand how if you vote for someone your vote can be passed onto someone else. Or do I have it arseways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

road_high wrote: »
    My personal experience of green (so called) voters are they are solidly middle class, live in a nice part of town, and take numerous foreign holidays (always very well travelled and let you know about it). Probably the highest carbon emissions of any citizens if the truth were told. I’ve found the climate change hysteria deeply nauseating tbh

The rich can't wait to dodge carbon taxes by placing the carbon tax burden on the poorer of society.

Think Wallace has finally put the nail in the coffin of Malcolm Byrne doing anything other than a lowly councillor.

Just shows with a certain cohort of voters that it pays dividends to invent a fake ordinary man persona rather than put forward any real policies or anything of any value that will progress the nation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Peter Casey rejected again. Hopefully that's the end of him.

Twice rejected comfortably, the noise the man has generated - especially online - was always entirely disproportionate. All the waffle about silent majorities, or that he "says what people are thinking" again showed as projection and confirmation bias from disgruntleds, giving him more profile than he ever deserved. The media need to take some of the blame here too, latching onto his celebrity and half assed swipes at the traveler community, rather than focusing on the transparent nonsense otherwise spouted.

I'm glad he has been rejected, as it at least maintains the thin veneer of politics in this country as having a civil, intelligent voting base, and not easily swept up by cheap populism and soundbites.

Just shows with a certain cohort of voters that it pays dividends to invent a fake ordinary man persona rather than put forward any real policies or anything of any value that will progress the nation

Wallace was one of the driving forces in exposing the McCabe scandal. He fights a good fight

Sawduck wrote: »
    Planes and cars ugh, can't they tax big companies who endanger the environment instead

And who are the consumers of these “big evil companies”?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I don't understand how if you vote for someone your vote can be passed onto someone else. Or do I have it arseways

Glad we've the single transferable vote (proportional representation) system which is far fairer and more representative of voters intentions than the UK's first past the post system

Wallace was one of the driving forces in exposing the McCabe scandal. He fights a good fight

He’s a populist phoney with zilch to offer but each to their own

• Advertisement

He’s a populist phoney with zilch to offer but each to their own

He was right about McCabe.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Glad we've the single transferable vote (proportional representation) system which is far fairer than the UK's first past the post system

I don't understand it to be honest. Seems to me like I might vote for someone but my vote can somehow get passed onto some other person in the same party. I don't know why either

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

pixelburp wrote:
    I'm glad he has been rejected, as it at least maintains the thin veneer of politics in this country as having a civil, intelligent voting base, and not easily swept up by cheap populism and soundbites.

Candidates going for the social/culture wars stuff tend not to get elected.

Casey tried and failed, twice.

I don't understand it to be honest. Seems to me like I might vote for someone but my vote can somehow get passed onto some other person in the same party. I don't know why either

Only if ye continue to vote. You can stop after '1'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Faugheen wrote: »
    I won’t rule it out completely but SF are very transfer toxic. She’s in big trouble.
    I think Fianna Fail are nearly as transfer unfriendly in Dublin as Sinn Fein these days! Seems to be a lot of smaller leftie candidates there for her to get transfers from. Clearly Clare Daly took a lot of her vote

Really?

Well it's never been explained to me. As far as I see it if I pick someone then that's it. It can't be just given to someone else for whatever reason. As I said maybe I have that wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If and when sitting TDs get elected to EUP, next up are the by elections I presume.

The only ones I can think of right now are Daly and Wallace. A match made in Strasbourg lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The system is a bit complicated, but your vote usually ends up electing, at most, one candidate.

It can happen (it has happened to me) that your vote is for the last candidate eliminated, and doesn't actually help elect anyone at all and you might as well have gone to the pub instead of the polling station, but that is much less common than with systems used in the UK like FPTP or d'Hondt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,889 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Decimated?

Advertisement