Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Only if ye continue to vote. You can stop after '1'.

What reason would my vote for number 1 pass onto number 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

road_high wrote: »
    And who are the consumers of these “big evil companies”?

If you are referring to everyone who drives a car then well pretty much everyone, so you think we should all be punished

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

In Midlands NW the fascinating question is where the Smith/Casey/Rabbitte transfers will go.
    It is likely that the 3 candidates requiring the transfers will be Mc Hugh/Walsh/Flanagan who are for varying reasons unlikely to pick up a big block of transfers from any of them.
    If this is the case the key question will be how far ahead of Flanagan will Mc Hugh and Walsh be after the distribution of the MMcG surplus...If Walsh gets more than 50% of the surplus then Flanagan is in real trouble.

Smith/Casey/Rabbitte have 16% between them. If Walsh gets 60% of McGuinnesss surplus that will leave her on 13% but I cannot see her getting much from the other three. Mc Hugh will get some, but it would not surprise me to see Flanagan pick up the main bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What stops my vote going to just number 1 and not being passed to number 2?

The immediate elimination of your No.2. If you haven't voted a No. 3, that becomes 'non transferable' and your vote is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Well it's never been explained to me. As far as I see it if I pick someone then that's it. It can't be just given to someone else for whatever reason. As I said maybe I have that wrong
    fair enough. your number 1 vote cant be given away. but if you put a number 2 for someone else. then that will be counted. if your number one has a surplus or gets eliminated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If and when sitting TDs get elected to EUP, next up are the by elections I presume.

The only ones I can think of right now are Daly and Wallace. A match made in Strasbourg lol.

By election, but if certain people do get elected it could precipitate a general election. Fitzgerald for instance as it will further cut the tiny majority

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Decimated?
    ah stahp!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well it's never been explained to me. As far as I see it if I pick someone then that's it. It can't be just given to someone else for whatever reason. As I said maybe I have that wrong

You have it wrong. Your vote will only go to who you vote for, but if they don't get elected (or have a surplus), then you can still choose who you want from the remaining candidates. And if then they don't get elected... And so on.

feel like there's a lot of interesting transfer patterns waiting to show up in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Only if ye continue to vote. You can stop after '1'.

Sure. Do that.

Everyone (but me) should do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

L1011 wrote: »
    By election, but if certain people do get elected it could precipitate a general election. Fitzgerald for instance as it will further cut the tiny majority

Indeed, I forgot about Ms. Fitzgerald, if she gets a seat.

Could be an interesting knock on effect all round. But confidence and supply will carry on I reckon, FF will be invisible otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Francis is 70 in 15 months, talk about a retirement home.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

charlie14 wrote: »
    Smith/Casey/Rabbitte have 16% between them. If Walsh gets 60% of McGuinnesss surplus that will leave her on 13% but I cannot see her getting much from the other three. Mc Hugh will get some, but it would not surprise me to see Flanagan pick up the main bulk.

I would have thought Casey voters were highly unlikely to transfer to Flanagan in any great numbers.The FF vote might but will Walsh and Mc Hugh be far enough in front?
    Also the sequence of events will be vital as it is very likely that Carthy will still not have reached the quota and many of these FF votes could be absorbed by him and leave Flanagan too far behind.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining. Guaranteed that many people don't really know either. In future I will only be picking a number 1 and nothing more

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Indeed, I forgot about Ms. Fitzgerald, if she gets a seat.

Could be an interesting knock on effect all round. But confidence and supply will carry on I reckon, FF will be invisible otherwise.

Priir to the exit poll, the possibility of losing Fitzgerald and Doyle looked real, plus Kelliher and smith on the c&s side. I was certain we were looking at an imminent GE.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining. Guaranteed that many people don't really know either. In future I will only be picking a number 1 and nothing more

Would you not like to express a preference between the other candidates also?

Out of interest.is this your first time voting? or are you British?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

L1011 wrote: »

Surprised at Fitzgerald`s vote. Thought she would have polled higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So no more holidays for joe soap. Anyone with a diesel screwed even more. A green version of fine Gael.

Do you think our suffering will keep the Chinese or Indians up at night. Guilt them into changing their ways.
    Walking us into more taxes which will make absolutely no difference to the environment. There are no alternatives in Ireland.

Christ, the mind boggles, suggesting we are suffering relative to the people of China and India.....
    We have to think and act more green no matter what others do. The greens aren't all bad.
    The only issue for them is that they shouldn't and don't have a monopoly on a green agenda which other parties will work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sawduck wrote: »
    Planes and cars ugh, can't they tax big companies who endanger the environment instead

I think the problem people have with the Greens is that they do focus on taxing carbon and things like cars and planes. A lot of people would prefer if politicians stuck with promising to tax unicorns and rainbows as most of the left do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yes. Do that and tell all your friends to do the same.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Would you not like to express a preference between the other candidates also?

Not really. I looked at today's list of faces and names and I didn't see anything I liked. I don't like or trust politicians and think society is so ingrained in its ways and direction that temporarily swapping the names around makes absolutely no difference in the long run.
    Money and power runs the world. Not voters
    Yet I always vote at every opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you are referring to everyone who drives a car then well pretty much everyone, so you think we should all be punished
    Punished? No. We should all be encouraged to think about living our lives in ways that are sustainable.

Such as being encouraged to not buy a massive car when all you do is drive it to work and the shops.

Thing is, at a population level, people are incapable of acting selflessly off their own bat. Left to the individual's own choice, people will choose what is most convenient for themselves at the expense of the planet, because "I can't make a difference anyway".

Differences are made in the large scale, but that's entirely dependent on everyone making an effort at the small scale; whether out of pure altruism or because it's the cheaper option.

If you choose to drive a larger vehicle and use your vehicle for all your journies without regard to whether you actually need to, then logically that should be far more inconvenient for you than buying a smaller car and leaving it at home when you could walk or cycle instead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

An Irish Times poll last week had Cuffe at 9% . Some jump in a week to around 23%.
    If there is no brexit then the last seat in Dublin and in South won't actually get their seats anyway

Not really. I looked at today's list of faces and names and I didn't see anything I liked. I don't like or trust politicians and think society is so ingrained in its ways and direction that temporarily swapping the names around makes absolutely no difference in the long run.
    Money and power runs the world. Not voters
    Yet I always vote at every opportunity

I can understand! I tend to use the STV system to vote against rather than for. But only to a point. I would never give a vote to someone who goes against my core values.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is both a complex (if you don't understand it fully), and relatively simple (if you are used to it) system.

It's a bit late to explain in full here, and most people are just following and commenting on the exit polls right now etc.

Why don't you open a separate thread asking for STV/PR system to be explained. I am sure many will help, and believe me you are not alone in not following it fully. There should be a lot more information given to prospective voters about this system I feel.

When you get a handle on it you will not stop at just a number 1 vote. It is great to be able to spread your vote. It also gives a much more accurate and fair result, resulting in the will of the voters being translated into votes for minority candidates in some instances.

This is the opposite of the FPTP system in places like UK. Don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Whut?

Nobody, not FFs biggest fan, expected Rabbitte to win. She was just there to hoover up a few local votes and transfer preferences to Mr. Say Cheese.

3% still represents a failure on her part which pleases me. I'm in Galway East so the bar for TDs hasn't been set particularly high lately but she is by some distance the worst of the current shower. Hate the sight of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

seamus wrote: »
    Punished? No. We should all be encouraged to think about living our lives in ways that are sustainable.

Such as being encouraged to not buy a massive car when all you do is drive it to work and the shops.

Thing is, at a population level, people are incapable of acting selflessly off their own bat. Left to the individual's own choice, people will choose what is most convenient for themselves at the expense of the planet, because "I can't make a difference anyway".

Differences are made in the large scale, but that's entirely dependent on everyone making an effort at the small scale; whether out of pure altruism or because it's the cheaper option.

If you choose to drive a larger vehicle and use your vehicle for all your journies without regard to whether you actually need to, then logically that should be far more inconvenient for you than buying a smaller car and leaving it at home when you could walk or cycle instead.

Sounds like you have been reading too much of that green party manifesto;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

trixiebust wrote: »
    Sounds like you have been reading too much of that green party manifesto;)

Serious discussion only please. One-liners are not welcome here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If only there was some alternative to using cars for <2km journeys, like perhaps walking for 20 minutes or cycling for 10 minutes?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451

Advertisement