Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gonna repost a rant I made over on reddit:

I've been trying to figure out just why I have so much issue lately with Overwatch - it's certifiable video game crack, but it never feels 100% right.
    Thankfully, there has been more discussion about "Live Service games" / "Games as a Service" and I feel dumb that it took me this long to understand - Overwatch is part of this whole charade, and it really ties into why it can easily lead to gamer burnout.
    This burnout, I feel, is from points 1&2 - the team constantly "unbalances" the game whenever a new meta has been found, instead of trying to figure out a good "middle ground", as they never want you to be comfortable and to keep playing.

I've seen this happen in fighting games too, and it's a bad design philosophy. For example, look at the difference between Mortal Kombat & Tekken. Every MK game since 9 has sold millions, but they continuously patch & unbalance the game on a nearly weekly basis, leading to massive drop off in players (especially at competitive level). Meanwhile, Tekken 7 has gone through only 3 major updates in 6 years, focusing to create new balance with periodically added characters. That game has done nothing but go up in tournament entrants & viewership, surpassing even the EVO mainstay Street Fighter at EVO2k19 pre-registration.
    So, players are burning out because they constantly have to learn the "new meta", but this is compounded by the addition of time-limited events - skins, emotes & whole gameplay scenarios you can only access for a few weeks before they're gone for a year, or even forever.

And of course, both of these are tactics designed to keep you playing - and buying lootboxes, DLC without guaranteed payoff. Which can really bum you out when you can't play, or just get bad drops. And since it's still unregulated RNG, who knows how good the drop rate changes once you spend money.

Now (switching gears) let's get to the other elephant in the room: Overwatch has no future.

Not in the short-term (though you'll have experienced this already if servers were unavailabe) but we have no idea what Activision-Blizzard will allow in 1, 2, however many years. Will they slowly remove servers, 1-by-1, until only a handful of servers are active regionally? Will they just switch them all off & force us to buy Overwatch 2?
    Or if we're lucky, will we get community server support? But on which patch?
    What about the Overwatch Workshop - how long will people's mods be preserved? Will their scripting even work after certain patches, or are you doomed to constantly update it yourself?
    We have no way & no power to get resolutions to anything, and honestly it scares & frustrates me - a vibrant community of players, viewers & artists who have NO IDEA how long this can even last, or what happens when Bobby Kotick decides that it's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Gonna repost a rant I made over on reddit:

I've been trying to figure out just why I have so much issue lately with Overwatch - it's certifiable video game crack, but it never feels 100% right.

It most certainly is and I agree but does it have to feel that good? I mean, my expectations of a good game are pretty much blown away with whats there despite all the bad stuff that comes with it

Thankfully, there has been more discussion about "Live Service games" / "Games as a Service" and I feel dumb that it took me this long to understand - Overwatch is part of this whole charade, and it really ties into why it can easily lead to gamer burnout.
    This burnout, I feel, is from points 1&2 - the team constantly "unbalances" the game whenever a new meta has been found, instead of trying to figure out a good "middle ground", as they never want you to be comfortable and to keep playing.

There will always be a meta, at our level it's not overly important anyway, you can play dive, goats, bunker, 6 dps and still win.

So, players are burning out because they constantly have to learn the "new meta", but this is compounded by the addition of time-limited events - skins, emotes & whole gameplay scenarios you can only access for a few weeks before they're gone for a year, or even forever.

What burns me out is getting a long run with really bad teams or toxicity. I don't really expect a fix for either tbh.
    And of course, both of these are tactics designed to keep you playing - and buying lootboxes, DLC without guaranteed payoff. Which can really bum you out when you can't play, or just get bad drops. And since it's still unregulated RNG, who knows how good the drop rate changes once you spend money.

lootboxes/non comp modes mean nothing to me so no real thoughts on this

Now (switching gears) let's get to the other elephant in the room: Overwatch has no future.

Not in the short-term (though you'll have experienced this already if servers were unavailabe) but we have no idea what Activision-Blizzard will allow in 1, 2, however many years. Will they slowly remove servers, 1-by-1, until only a handful of servers are active regionally? Will they just switch them all off & force us to buy Overwatch 2?
    Or if we're lucky, will we get community server support? But on which patch?
    What about the Overwatch Workshop - how long will people's mods be preserved? Will their scripting even work after certain patches, or are you doomed to constantly update it yourself?
    We have no way & no power to get resolutions to anything, and honestly it scares & frustrates me - a vibrant community of players, viewers & artists who have NO IDEA how long this can even last, or what happens when Bobby Kotick decides that it's over!

Should we know how long it's going to last? It's already going 3 years and id be shocked if it didn't go another 3, sounds pretty good to me. There'll have been about 8 call of duty games by then, thats how good we have it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I dunno, I don't mind a changing meta, whatever that really means to players in my rank of mid plat because random plat players do random plat things.

Lootboxes as above aren't something I care about. I'll take the freebies and use earned in game coin to buy skins but I'd never pay real money to try to randomly obtain a cosmetic. That's madness in my eyes. Really don't understand why anyone would do it.

The game is effectively free. It's been going for a long time but if it stopped tomorrow I'd be bummed out but I'm not particularly that emotionally invested.

I can't ever see an Overwatch 2 happening. How would that even work? Unless way off in the future and it involves an engine change like Counter Strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Minding my own business, being a prick in quickplay.
    Suddenly, a six stack of Master players appear.

Well then. I didn't want to win this game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I like this new map. Would be more fun to try it with some proper comps. That last arch choke is going to be a beast to break I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Slipped back from diamond a few seasons ago to barely making low to mid gold last 3 seasons, up to 2600 this season after placing 2100ish.

Its nice to not know you instantly ****ed anymore if you have multiple dps comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Randomly decided to get back into Overwatch and had a few Quick Plays relatively late last night. After 1AM I found myself waiting 3-6 minutes I'd say for a game, and half the time I was popped into a game seconds from defeat where someone had preemptively rage quit (which is a ridiculous thing to allow happen - new players should not be added seconds before game over, but that's a different topic).

Anyway, my question is: was it always like this or has the player base shrunk in the last couple of years?

3-6min seems fine for 1am on a Wed. Its similar at around 6am, then come 8am onwards it more like 1-3min

Im sure the player base is smaller but seems to be pretty steady, at least on xbox. True achievement website if to be believed keeps it around the same spot each week

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Suffering through an epidemic of stupid comp picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Haven't played since December but I'd be mighty tempted with that skin now! Then again reading what's above it would put anyone off !

Soon as I hit about 3400 it's mostly master - top 500 team mates and my god they are insufferable. The arrogance is painful. Give me a quiet micless diamond game any day.

That Roadhog skin is fantastic. So much detail in it. Switching between this and Apex Legends, its really clear the amount of work that goes in to them. They're much cleaner design.

Some really nice skins this time. I have 15k of coin but hate spending lots in one go so will wait and see if I can score RH or Brigitte. Got Orisa in the free lootbox which was nice as that's a fab one as well.

Some really nice skins this time. I have 15k of coin but hate spending lots in one go so will wait and see if I can score RH or Brigitte. Got Orisa in the free lootbox which was nice as that's a fab one as well.

I'm going to have to buy the D.Va & Pharah skins straight-up.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1130896779560587265

Hmm, homage?

https://gfycat.com/AdvancedWhirlwindAnkole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

logged in to get the crate (dont play much anymore, just with the nephew when hes over) and i got the Roadhog Toxic skin, the best one of the new lot, delighted :D

Still waiting on the game to introduce that 2-2-2 formation mode in comp before i bother my arse returning proper, is there any news on that or an abandoned idea?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

nix wrote: »
    logged in to get the crate (dont play much anymore, just with the nephew when hes over) and i got the Roadhog Toxic skin, the best one of the new lot, delighted :D

Still waiting on the game to introduce that 2-2-2 formation mode in comp before i bother my arse returning proper, is there any news on that or an abandoned idea?

Rumours going around lately that it's happening for sure but nothing actually concrete from the devs.

Waiting of the end of Overwatch League season I read somewhere, as they would have to give the teams time to adjust to it.

looking forward to everyone just moving on to complain about something else

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    looking forward to everyone just moving on to complain about something else

The complaints will mainly be about what a terrible idea locking comp to 2-2-2 was.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing what the workshop comes up with. The two modes in Arcade were fun, mirrored deathmatch especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

fixxxer wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing what the workshop comes up with. The two modes in Arcade were fun, mirrored deathmatch especially.

Played the new modes for a couple of hours last night - really fun but super frustrating! Games disconnecting extremely frequently, even well into a match. Happened around 15 times in a couple of hours. They'd want to sort something out...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The new hide and seek game with 1 Widow v 6 Tracers is great craic.
    Basically if Widow can see you you lose health until you die.
    No recall and blinks come back very slowly.
    Tense as feck.

Dunno if it was a workshop but that deathmatch where you change hero after a kill can f right off.... Stress....

Mirrored DM was great. Switching to Pharah or Doom and the ensuing chaos was funny.

When you open a lootbox whilst waiting for a round to start and up goes the yellow icon annnnnnd round starts.

WHAT DID I GET!!!! WHAT WAS IT????!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

BIg patch on ptr, no 2 2 2. Pointless

Got a [patch notes link?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

fixxxer wrote: »
    Got a [patch notes link?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-ptr-patch-notes-may-23-2019/348228

Love the new mccree, and have been wanting replays for ages.

Anyone care to copy them here for those unfortunate enough to have gaming sites blocked at work.

• Advertisement

PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
    New Feature: Replays

Experience your past Overwatch games from a whole new perspective with Replays. Replays allows you to watch your ten most recent matches from any vantage point. Whether you want a first-person, third-person, or bird’s-eye view, you can see it all with this tool. Hone your strategies by slowing down or speeding up the game to see exactly how a critical moment played out, get a better view of the action from above, or even turn off the UI completely.

Learn more about Replays: Blizz.ly/OverwatchReplays 1.7k

HERO UPDATES
    Baptiste

Biotic Launcher
    Increased heal ammo from 10 to 12.
    Amplification Matrix
    Ultimate duration increased from 8 seconds to 10 seconds.
    Developer Comments: Given the dual nature of Baptiste’s weapon, he ends up having to reload often. We’re increasing the amount of ammo he has to work with so he can get more firing time while healing. Similarly, increasing the duration of Amplification Matrix will allow allies more time to get into position to make use of it.

D.Va

Defense Matrix
    Reduced length of Defense Matrix from 15 meters to 10 meters.
    Developer Comments: Defense Matrix is a very powerful defensive ability and can often feel oppressive from far away. Reducing the range on it will require D.Va to position herself more carefully to take advantage of its effects.

McCree

Peacekeeper
    Primary fire recovery reduced from 0.5 seconds to 0.4 seconds.
    Developer Comments: On average, McCree’s damage output wasn’t quite making up for the relatively low mobility or utility in his kit. Reducing his weapon’s recovery time improves the potential damage output without affecting the number of successful shots to kill an enemy.

Orisa

Protective Barrier
    Barrier can be deployed without interrupting reload.
    Developer Comments: Orisa has one of the longest weapon reloads and interrupting it to deploy a new barrier felt too disruptive to her gameplay. This change allows her to reload as needed while still being able to protect herself and her team.

Symmetra

Teleporter
    Teleporter interact range increased from 1 meter to 1.5 meters.
    Developer Comments: This is primarily a quality of life improvement as it was possible to create a teleporter that Symmetra was unable to interact with unless she moved toward it.

Torbjörn

Rivet Gun
    Secondary Fire damage per pellet reduced from 12.5 to 10.5 (105 dmg total per shot).
    Developer Comments: The combined damage output of Torbjörn’s secondary fire with his Overload ability was too high given his recently increased survivability.

GAME MODE UPDATES
    Assault

Time awarded for capturing Point A on all Assault maps has been reduced from 4 minutes to 3 minutes.
    Upon losing Point A, any defenders that are dead, or that die shortly thereafter, will have a maximum respawn of 3.5 seconds.
    Developer Comments: Assault match lengths are averaging higher than we’re happy with, particularly in Competitive where there are multiple rounds. We’re also concerned with how often Offense fully captures Point A and Point B. Reducing the round time from 8 to 7 minutes should address both these concerns, as less overall time rewards better Defense.

Additionally, sometimes Defenders fight late with good intentions at Point A and end up staggered from their team when A falls, leaving their team with uneven footing to defend a rush to B. In these situations, temporarily lowering the respawn time to get those Defenders back with their team should be a better match experience and doesn’t punish players so harshly for wanting to defend Point A.

WORKSHOP UPDATES
    General

Visual update applied
    Check boxes added to support operations on multiple conditions/actions/rules.
    You can now disable conditions/actions/rules without deleting them.
    (PC) When copying conditions/actions/rules, the contents will also be copied to your clipboard in a text format.
    (PC) When pasting conditions/actions/rules, the editor will use the text from your clipboard.
    Increased maximum number of effects from 64 -> 128.
    Added ‘Modify Global Variable At Index’.
    Added ‘Modify Player Variable At Index’.

BUG FIXES
    General

Communication Wheel: “Acknowledge” pings triggered through the Communication Wheel can now target objectives.
    Fixed a bug where explosions could play in the wrong position if a mispredicted impact happened on the client.
    Custom Game: Fixed a bug where AI Soldier: 76 wouldn’t fire his Helix Rocket at the same target twice.
    Custom Game: Fixed an issue where ‘Nearest Walkable Position’ would use a location in a spawn room instead of the specified location when the spawn room doors were closed.
    Tutorial: Weapon UI is now hidden until your weapon is available.
    Heroes

Ana
    Anti-Heal will be cleared when Sombra uses her translocator to teleport.

Sombra
    Translocator will now escape slippery surfaces more easily and not be able to be stuck to them.
    Fixed an issue where a material effect on Sombra’s hair would cause it to cast a shadow while invisible.

Torbjörn
    Fixed a bug where Torbjörn’s turret was sometimes able to shoot through walls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement