Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm a reluctant FG voter. I've said why before but it's basically because FF are corrupt as hell and screwed Ireland over the last time they were in power. The rest of the parties are pretty much incompetent for various reasons.

However having twats like that in the party makes me even less likely to vote for them. All FG have to do to attract a voter like me is not be corrupt and not have chancers like that.

Although I guess to a certain extent there are probably people like him in every party in every local council across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Made her way up through the council learning the trade, like so many others that learned that way.
    Political parties and local councils...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

She is a complete joke, I cannot wait for her to turn up on my door asking for a vote, I will read her the riot act. That is, of course, if she is even bothered to actually meet the people....

This story for me, epitomizes, everything that is wrong with life and society in Dublin these days, when we let tossers like her speak on OUR behalf in political circles...

candyman wrote: »
    She is a complete joke, I cannot wait for her to turn up on my door asking for a vote, I will read her the riot act. That is, of course, if she is even bothered to actually meet the people....

This story for me, epitomizes, everything that is wrong with life and society in Dublin these days, when we let tossers like her speak on OUR behalf in political circles...

I hope there isn’t a step up to your doorway cos she’ll probably trip on it.

Let her stand on the public footpath and shout at ya. Could be less costly :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If she wins this case, every gouger in the country will use it as a precedent. Child falls off swing in playground? Sue the council or whoever owns it. Insurance costs go up and playgrounds will be shut down. I can see something like this as a possible longterm outcome of the case.

I hope she loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://v.redd.it/gfywp1gngrz21

Credit op on r/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Regina Doherty has come out swinging (no pun intended) in Bailey's defence today.

Minister's defends Fine Gael TD's right to take personal injury action against Dublin hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's appalling!

How in the name of God does he get elected again and again!?
    He's on he council since 2004!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If she wins this case, every gouger in the country will use it as a precedent. Child falls off swing in playground?

To be frank, Frank, I think you may be right.
    Soft-tissue injuries everywhere and then people will wonder why the parks, playgrounds, and outdoor facilities all over the country are closed permanently.

You would have to wonder about the optics of this whimsical lawsuit by the Fine Gael TD?
    The Fine Gael elite will be around soon to proclaim that she is "entitled" to sue the hotel for falling off the swing. They are so out of touch with the regular people in this country that they do not see the support that they have lost in the last 24 hours by this case.

But they'll battle on ............. and shout loudly at us to do what they say, but not what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

Leo needs to do 2 things.
    1. He should be thanking Maria Bailey for highlighting the compo culture which is laughable.
    2. Then, Leo should get her removed from FG.

Leo has views on everything, but I bet he will remain tight-lipped on this. Lets hope Ms Bailey loses and gets hit with massive costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

https://v.redd.it/gfywp1gngrz21

Credit op on r/Ireland.
    On a hen night. :)
    I'll get my coat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The parish pump is alive and well in D4 with this one, and Shane Ross. And of course Madigans law firm representing her to another of them. And yet the Dubs sneer at Healy Rae and rural parish pumpers. Look at your own garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliAMG

The parish pump is alive and well in D4 with this one, and Shane Ross. And of course Madigans law firm representing her to another of them. And yet the Dubs sneer at Healy Rae and rural parish pumpers. Look at your own garden!

I heard they represent people mainly injured in playgrounds and road traffic accidents.

Basically, its all swings and roundabouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

I reckon even Healy Rae wouldn't stand for this from one of his own... Not a fan of him either but I think he would even think this is farcical from a candidate...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Honestly what is she playing at?! How did she think this would play to voters? Id say a serious knock to her chances of re-election, clown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

This will now be raised at absolutely every occasion the government mentions insurance premiums or compensation claims, when they are hoping to reform it. It totally destroys the governments credibility on either issue. Surely the FG bosses are raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

gmisk wrote: »
    Honestly what is she playing at?!

Whatever it is it needs to be under strict supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

grahambo wrote: »

It's appalling!

How in the name of God does he get elected again and again!?
    He's on he council since 2004!!!!

The Irish electorate are a pack of "I'm alright Jack's" and fairly stupid imo. They only care when something directly affects them (which this does hence they are too stupid to realise the reasons why their insurance and/or childcare fees are so high). :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Regina Doherty has come out swinging (no pun intended) in Bailey's defence today.

Minister's defends Fine Gael TD's right to take personal injury action against Dublin hotel

Circling the wagons (literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

gmisk wrote: »
    Honestly what is she playing at?! How did she think this would play to voters? Id say a serious knock to her chances of re-election, clown.

Not sure if it's true but I heard she took the action under her married name (Ryan).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

sligojoek wrote:
    Not sure if it's true but I heard she took the action under her married name (Ryan).

Doesn't matter it's in the public domain that she's a grasping moron.

sligojoek wrote:

Maria Bailey Ryan v Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

This claim is bordering on arrogance and she should be ashamed of herself.

What a comp culture of a country we have turned out to be, just like USA.

I hope the Judge finds in favour of the Hotel and she will have to pay the costs

looking at the hotel site, although there's no signage or instructions that I can see, Re : usage of the swings, contrarily there's no permission to sit on the swings either, not even a sit at your own risk.

Can the hotel say these are decorative pieces and tell her that she was negligent whilst attempting to damage hotel property? after all you'd need playground insurance if you encourage people drunk or otherwise to use them.

then it would be like throwing a telly out the window only to have it bounce back and knock you out, then trying to sue.

As soon as this case is finalised. The swings will then be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

D4? How is this parish pump? She’s taking a ridiculous case it’s irrelevant that she’s from Dublin or from anywhere at all. Ross loves a bit of local nonsense alright albeit not D4 more D18 and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The Irish electorate are a pack of "I'm alright Jack's" and fairly stupid imo. They only care when something affects them directly.

Scathing but true. We need to wake up.

Do we give a fúck about your opinion. You know where the airport is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Aravo wrote: »
    As soon as this case is finalised. The swings will then be removed.
    And the city will be a tiny bit duller.
    The TD will hope to be a little bit richer.
    Such is the "self sacrifice" of the modern politician.
    Not one single patriot among them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If she wins there will need to be someone supervising every swing in the country because of the legal precedent. Most playground owners will simply remove the swings. The same could well apply to other playground activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm a reluctant FG voter. I've said why before but it's basically because FF are corrupt as hell and screwed Ireland over the last time they were in power. The rest of the parties are pretty much incompetent for various reasons.

However having twats like that in the party makes me even less likely to vote for them. All FG have to do to attract a voter like me is not be corrupt and not have chancers like that.

Although I guess to a certain extent there are probably people like him in every party in every local council across the country.

I used to vote FG, they are a joke, like the others admittedly! But voting them back in doesnt force them to pull up their socks. Their performance is appalling!They think that all they have to do, to retain power, is not sink the economy again... I wont vote for them again, maybe they need another stint in opposition or as the junior party to focus the minds again!

Many young people taken in by varadkars spin machine, "he's so trendy and cool" the same snake destroying them on housing etc, absolutely pathetic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement