Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

I have seen this actually in the workplace funnily enough...I have seen in numerous places warnings that the hot water boiler is a hot hazard and a toaster will make the contents hot...

Peanut butter alergy advice (may contain nuts ) really ? Hmmmm I hope so best one I know tbh lol 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ToddyDoody wrote:
    I'm presume all indoor swings will now be dismantled?

No I believe there will be a health and safety officer appointed with the sole responsibility of showing 40 something year adults how to sit and hold on. Every other person with half a brain understands the complexities including 4 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Edgware wrote: »
    Its important to be able to differentiate between education and intelligence.
    I will take the intelligent person anytime

You are quite right in that education and intelligence are two distinct concepts.

I know highly educated people who are dim beyond belief but some of the sharpest people I know barely have a LC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Indeed.

As pointed out already - academic qualifications are irrelevant when it comes to the hand to eye skills and basic intelligence required to get to grips with the rather basic skills needed to understand the principles of operating a swing, unsupervised, or without a sign instructing an able bodied person to do so.

Seems Ms Bailey is in receipt of neither. :D

Sure there was a woman in England a few months back who sued the manufacturers of her new bed that she decided to break in. She was shagging her lover and he whipped her around for some doggy style and she fell off the bed.

Unfortunately she landed awkwardly on her head and is now in a wheelchair.

The Court dismissed her claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Sure there was a woman in England a few months back who sued the manufacturers of her new bed that she decided to break in. She was shagging her lover and he whipped her around for some doggy style and she fell off the bed.

Unfortunately she landed awkwardly on her head and is now in a wheelchair.

The Court dismissed her claim.

Here she would get 500k and be called a sexual rights activist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Money.

Nah, €60K?? The cost of the negative publicity is way more than that. Maybe she's not thinking of standing again and doesn't care much for her political or party reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Because refusing to pay a claim does not magically make it go away. The claimant lodges proceedings to have the matter heard in court and if the defendant (and their insurer) do not turn up, the claimant wins by default.

Anyone can make a claim against anybody for anything. It is at your own peril you don't defend your position.

So what, don't pay

If you’re in her constituency come general election time, may I suggest that you shout out your window that she can only canvas you whilst standing on the public footpath.

Otherwise she could trip over your 2 Euro home store and more garden light and sue the house off ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The proper way to use a swing is to sit on it while someone pushes you around in a circle. Then when the chain is as tight as it can get release it so you go spinning.

I might apply to this hotel for a job as a swing supervisor.

• Advertisement

jesus christ what an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

True, but the majority of the time they are very closely linked.
    Anyways... that could spawn its own AH thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Best story ever. Can't wait for this to be featured on all the UK/US chat shows in their 'ah sure look show stupid the Paddies are' section.

Only fair,

we've had 'ah sure look at the stupid Tans segments' on our media since they voted for Brexit, (and didn't know where their border was.)

Ditto, the Americans with Trump.

So what, don't pay

Ok. Don't pay.

Following on the Claimant is now armed with a Judgment (let's say €20k) and can take enforcement proceedings against the company's assets. Oh and don't forget the costs are mounting up as well. So that €20k is now €30k. Send around the Sheriff to seize goods.

However a Court is not likely to make an award of this nature with evidence and they will issue a warrant for a representative of the defendant to appear in Court.

Point is- ignoring it will not make it go away.

Haha. I’ve just read that she is CHAIR of an oireachtas committee for housing. :D

Now we know why the housing situation is fooked!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

You are quite right in that education and intelligence are two distinct concepts.

I know highly educated people who are dim beyond belief but some of the sharpest people I know barely have a LC

Yeah, it’s swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Looks like she only has a leaving cert, no third level qualification.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/mariabaileytd

Explains a lot.

Huh? Sidetrack but you certainly don't need a 3rd level education to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Haha. I’ve just read that she is CHAIR of an oireachtas committee for housing. :D

Now we know why the housing situation is fooked!
    Hopefully the chair has instructions and a warning about how to sit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Only fair,

we've had 'ah sure look at the stupid Tans segments' on our media since they voted for Brexit, (and didn't know where their border was.)

Ditto, the Americans with Trump.

True enough. The only part we can hold on to is our latest embarrassment is only one person, Brexit and Trump involved whole swathes of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

True enough. The only part we can hold on to is our latest embarrassment is only one person, Brexit and Trump involved whole swathes of the population.

What our idiot didn't rise to the lofty heights without the aid of several thousand voters?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Here's hoping the negative publicity scuppers her dad's chances on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The proper way to use a swing is to sit on it while someone pushes you around in a circle. Then when the chain is as tight as it can get release it so you go spinning.

I might apply to this hotel for a job as a swing supervisor.

you have to make sure to hold the chain at the bottom though or else it can hurt your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Jeez, what an utter embarrassment... The country is crippled with insurance costs and want the government to act and we get this??? Hopefully the hotel wins and costs go against her, needing supervision for a swing ffs. Lets also hope her constituents are reminded come election time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

PaulieC wrote: »
    only reasonable course of action is to let your local FG election and European election candidates that you will not vote FG because of this, no matter who the candidate is.

Yeah that sounds fair and right.

There will be no one or no parties left to vote for if people won’t vote over one members behavior.
    Turns out it's not just one FG'r with their snout in the questionable claims trough.

Lead by example.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Nah, €60K?? The cost of the negative publicity is way more than that. Maybe she's not thinking of standing again and doesn't care much for her political or party reputation?

Dunno about that Barry, remember this FG gobshyte?

He got his fair share of negative publicity at the time he was exposed being a corrupt pig with his snout in the trough.

Yep, he's standing for election in the locals this year again, albeit as an independent.

They have neither shame nor honour when it comes to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just one more reason to vote FFG the hell out of government at the earliest opportunity. Of course, people like this don't mind having to pay double digits for a gin and tonic, so they're not likely to make the mental link between this kind of idiocy and nights out in Dublin getting more expensive, even when they're already absolutely outrageous compared with most European cities.

I really wish we were talking about changing the law on liability rather than trying to limit payouts at the judicial level, though. What's needed is not for judges to award smaller payouts, what's needed is for the law to very clearly state that if you do something because of your own carelessness, clumsiness or drunkenness, then it's 100% your own responsibility and absolutely nobody else's. In other words, limiting payouts awarded by judges isn't the problem, because the courts shouldn't be ruling in favour of these claims at all. They should be throwing such cases out entirely by simply saying "this was something you did and it's your own damn fault, case dismissed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dunno about that Barry, remember this FG gobshyte?

He got his fair share of negative publicity at the time he was exposed being a corrupt pig with his snout in the trough.

Yep, he's standing for election in the locals this year again, albeit as an independent.

They have neither shame nor honour when it comes to money.

I said it before and I will say it again, there are a LOT of politicians in Dail Eireann an.d especially the Governing parties whose sole motivation is lining their pockets. This extends to local councils. I remember working in a previous job and seeing absoloutly insane amounts of cash being transferred from a County Council to the plant hire company of a sitting councillor. The plant hire company had won a lot of contracts in the area from the council. Alarm bells were ringing Happy to get elected then sit on the sidelines. They are taking us for fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

So as far you are concerned it's entirely the hotels fault that a 43 old female was unsupervised on a swing with both her hands full? I hope the hotel has warnings on their cups that the contents may be hot if this is the level of idiocy that is being defended.
    Yet this adult is trusted by some to vote for legislation that effects all our lives.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

The point is when you put a swing in a pub you should have foreseen that there was a good chance that at some stage some drunk person would fall off it.

A swing belongs in a playground, not a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I said it before and I will say it again, there are a LOT of politicians in Dail Eireann an.d especially the Governing parties whose sole motivation is lining their pockets. This extends to local councils. I remember working in a previous job and seeing absoloutly insane amounts of cash being transferred from a County Council to the plant hire company of a sitting councillor. The plant hire company had won a lot of contracts in the area from the council. Alarm bells were ringing Happy to get elected then sit on the sidelines. They are taking us for fools.

Following the major cull there are not a LOT of elected politicians in total. Less than 1200. So no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't add up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement