Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Impossible Burger 2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Panch18 wrote: »
    Just on the bolded bit - you have fallen into the common public misconception that trees are some sort of messiah when it comes to carbon sequesterisation - when the reality is that grasslands can be just as good as trees - in fact they are better in a lot of instances. One of the several reasons for this is that grassland locks carbon into the soil whereas trees tend to store the carbon in the tree - so when a tree is burned or dies a lot of the carbon it has sequestered is actually then released. Whereas the carbon from grass is locked into the soil and therefore much more stable. not so much an issue in Ireland but in places like California where wildfires are common it is a huge issue.

I don't know why people have the misconception that trees are good, grass farmland bad - is it because trees are large so people think that a big plant must sequester a lot more carbon than a tiny grass plant?

The reality is that we need a good balance of trees, grassland, hedges, bogs etc

And trees emit methane as well....
    https://relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/environment/2019/03/trees-release-methane-what-it-means-climate-change?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

LIDL to start offering beyond meat products.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/beyond-meat-surges-coffee-chain-tim-hortons-launches-152906081--finance.html
    " It will soon introduce its burgers in German discount supermarket chain Lidl during a trial period starting May 29.

"We very much look forward to seeing the response to our campaign," Lidl said in a statement."

Interesting quote from the CFO
    "90% of those who eat impossible burger are meat eaters. "

These burgers are not for vegans..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See they are a full made from GMO ingredients product now as they are consuming so much soy... You know, the stuff Vegans are always going on about the bad farmers growing to feed to cattle :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

Xcellor wrote: »

Interesting quote from the CFO
    "90% of those who eat impossible burger are meat eaters. "

Interesting, but I'd doubt it. Wonder where that market research was done.
    Xcellor wrote: »
    These burgers are not for vegans..

Who are they for then? Obviously they are meant for those who don't want to eat meat otherwise what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

emaherx wrote: »
    Who are they for then? Obviously they are meant for those who don't want to eat meat otherwise what's the point?

The point is its trendy (I'm sure I sound old fashioned using that word) to be sort of Vegan but have no real convictions at all.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    The point is its trendy (I'm sure I sound old fashioned using that word) to be sort of Vegan but have no real convictions at all.

We are all sort of Vegan, I eat mostly Vegan foods with only a relatively small amount of meat and Dairy in my diet. Don't need a vegie burger that bleeds though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We are all sort of Vegan, I eat mostly Vegan foods with only a relatively small amount of meat and Dairy in my diet. Don't need a vegie burger that bleeds though ;)

This is true. In the various rabid accounts of some more extremist activists types - they genuinley appear to believe that 'meat eaters' eat meat 'at least' three times a day and gorge on little if nothing else: ..

From these diatribes - I'm sure Aliens would be convinced that all other humans spend their time chasing down and eating the legs raw off poor 'sentient' animals. :rolleyes:

I suppose though its all good for a giggle tbh.

Ps. Who the fuk eat burgers that 'bleed' ??? The ****e promoted is only woeful ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Vegan food makes your Mickey smaller.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/soy_boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It looks purely horrible... You'd think after all that research and money thay could make something that doesnt look like it went out of date 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You have to take that article with a pinch of salt there up there with the antivaxers with their attacks on anything GMO. From my reading of it that was an old recepie. I don't think Burger King would be rolling it out nationwide if there was a high probability it causes cancer. They've also switched farmers, so there should be no roundup in the burger.

From my reading of it that was an old recepie. I don't think Burger King would be rolling it out nationwide if there was a high probability it causes cancer. They've also switched farmers, so there should be no roundup in the burger.

You need to read it again they have just switched to using a crop which has higher concentrations of glyphosate. Why do you think the Soya is Genetically Modified?

You need to read it again they have just switched to using a crop which has higher concentrations of glyphosate. Why do you think the Soya is Genetically Modified?

That doesn't make sense as they couldn't have tested the new recepie yet. It's a click bait article nothing more.

That doesn't make sense as they couldn't have tested the new recepie yet. It's a click bait article nothing more.

They have admitted to changing to a new GM source of soy. It is genetically modified to be resistant to round up. Which means the farmers will spray round up in higher concertrations through the life of the crop to control weeds.

I doubt that's true, have you talked to the American farmers that are making it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Great article, not sure why Kelly isn't sure about the point of what the author is trying to say

I doubt that's true, have you talked to the American farmers that are making it for them?

How do you not use GM soybeans? 90% of the soybeans grown are the GM Roundup Ready.

Well I sincerely doubt your claim that their new source of soybeans is round up free! have you spoken to them? it would seem highly unlikely given that soybeans are GM to be either Round up resistant or else to improve oil quality and they are not using the oil to make the burgers.

Unless there putting the roundup in the fermentation tank I don't see how it'll end up in the burger. Has anyone actually read how they produce the soy.

• Advertisement

Unless there putting the roundup in the fermentation tank I don't see how it'll end up in the burger. Has anyone actually read how they produce the soy.

Have you?
    Produce soy in a fermentation tank?

Have you?
    Produce soy in a fermentation tank?

No they produce GM yeast in a fermentation tank then extract the soy based ingredient they need.
    "First, we grow yeast via fermentation. Then, we isolate the soy leghemoglobin (containing heme) from the yeast, and add it to the Impossible Burger"
    I don't see where the roundup comes into the equation.

Just to add the burger made that way isn't out for about another week so the article relating to roundup couldn't have tested it. There referring to the land based soy from a few years ago.

No they produce GM yeast in a fermentation tank then extract the soy based ingredient they need.
    "First, we grow yeast via fermentation. Then, we isolate the soy leghemoglobin (containing heme) from the yeast, and add it to the Impossible Burger"

What do you think the GM yeast feeds on?

Roundup is sprayed on the GM soybean crop the GM soybeans absorb roundup, GM soybeans are fermented with a GM yeast. The extract will therefore have some roundup in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just to add the burger made that way isn't out for about another week so the article relating to roundup couldn't have tested it. There referring to the land based soy from a few years ago.
    According to their own website the new composition is already launched. Also according to their website the second ingredient is Soy Protein Concentrate. According to wiki soy protein concentrate retains most of the fibre of the original bean. They also have a note that the composition contains Soy.

Where are you getting the GM soybean from, there is none, it's GM yeast which produces the extract the need. No need for soybean.
    Are you seriously trying to say the FDA have approved roundup burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Where are you getting the GM soybean from, there is none, it's GM yeast which produces the extract the need. No need for soybean.
    Here in their list of ingredients:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Contains: Soy

How do you grow yeast or do you think its Genetically engineered out of thin air?

my3cents wrote: »
    How do you grow yeast or do you think its Genetically engineered out of thin air?

The yeast isn't in the burger. Your assuming the farms there using all use roundup and that roundup is then finding its way into the burger. That's all just assumptions there is nothing to back up that train of thought anywhere.
    Let's say there is roundup in it, they've now figured out how to make the extract using alge.

Is the bread we eat everyday laced with roundup?

The yeast isn't in the burger. Your assuming the farms there using all use roundup and that roundup is then finding its way into the burger. That's all just assumptions there is nothing to back up that train of thought anywhere.
    Let's say there is roundup in it, they've now figured out how to make the extract using alge.

It's not just the yeast that is GM
    Starting later this month, some of the soy protein used in the Impossible Burger will come from genetically modified soybeans sourced from farms in Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois.

Yes round up is found in lots of our food. But in much higher concertrations in GM foods as they have engineered the food to be resistant to it purely so they can use more of it.

• Advertisement

But we aren't arguing that the yeast is in the burger. The soybean is in the burger and the soybean has roundup in it.

Yes a lot of bread has roundup in it. Hard to avoid it. The papers quote 60% of bread has roundup in it https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/24/eu-brink-historic-decision-pervasive-glyphosate-weedkiller .

Advertisement