Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kerb damage to sidewall - cosmetic or structural?

Options
  • 17-05-2019 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Good tyre, clipped the kerb. Safe or replace?

20190517-172734.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there any damage or a bulge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

As above, just fixed the image tag. It looks to be in the rim protector but pretty deep. No bulge. Rather not get a new one as just had to put two on our other car but safety first!

That's pretty bad, new tyre imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I just did something similar myself.
    Mine seems to be a thick layer off rim protector area. I've been watching for any deformation but it seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

wingnut wrote: »
    As above, just fixed the image tag. It looks to be in the rim protector but pretty deep. No bulge. Rather not get a new one as just had to put two on our other car but safety first!

Keep driving the other car until you change that tyre would be my advice.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's fine, I wouldn't be changing a tyre for that. It's unsightly but not unsafe. That band is thicker in that area of the tyre for that very purpose.

That's fine, I wouldn't be changing a tyre for that. It's unsightly but not unsafe. That band is thicker in that area of the tyre for that very purpose.

Was thicker.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Yeah, "was thicker" but it's designed thicker to allow for pieces to be nicked out of it if stuff like this happens, so you can continue to use the tyre. Case by case, obviously, but that looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Was thicker.
    :) A hung Jury. I think I might err on the side of caution just incase.

No need to change it unless you can see wire is the rule

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No need to change it unless you can see wire is the rule

What rule is this? Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

What rule is this? Have you a link?

Lol. Turn on your sarcasm detector.

Seen a drain surgeon van the other day and the rear tyre had not 1 but 2 huge bulges and the tyre bopping about.... Imagine what that will be like when it goes at speed with all the weight in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah, "was thicker" but it's designed thicker to allow for pieces to be nicked out of it if stuff like this happens, so you can continue to use the tyre. Case by case, obviously, but that looks fine.
    Not to nit pick but I thought the tyre was yhicker there to acti as a rim protector?
    The rim is damaged in this case as the kerbing was sufficiently severe.
    I wouldn't have that on my car, and it's a heap of sith.
    Just my personal choice I'm no tyre expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're going to get various non-professional opinions here OP.
    If you are really concerned, see a professional who can even inspect the inside of the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

I'll be putting a tyre on the back of car so that it won't have to take stress of the steering taking turns you now

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I assume that would fail the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Whocare wrote: »
    I'll be putting a tyre on the back of car so that it won't have to take stress of the steering taking turns you now

This..at least then you'll have a better chance of proper steering imput should the tyre go when at speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The damage is almost entirely to the rim protector. It has only barely scratched the structural part of the tyre itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

For the sake of a price of a tyre I would replace it.

There is no way of knowing if there is internal damage or not.The hole in the middle of the damage would concern me.

There looks to be a bit of damage further up the sidewall by the "E" also.

• Advertisement

Not to nit pick but I thought the tyre was yhicker there to acti as a rim protector?

Exactly.

The tyre is thicker there so you can take a good sacraficial chunk out of it, if such a situation should occur, to protect the rim. That's what happened here. The rim would be far worse if that rubber didn't get in the way.

Using a tyre with damage to the rim protection is fine. Sure, it's damage in the sidewall area but in an area designed to take damage. It's not to be confused with a similar looking nick in the centre of the sidewall, that would be potentially unsafe.

To be fair, if someone posted a pic of that tyre on here and said Advance Pitstop recommended they replace that tyre based on that damage, you'd have a thread full of "Advance Pitstop unnecessary upsell", "that tyre is fine, it's only in the rim protection", "dont trust the motor industry" type stuff.

Exactly.

The tyre is thicker there so you can take a good sacraficial chunk out of it, if such a situation should occur, to protect the rim. That's what happened here. The rim would be far worse if that rubber didn't get in the way.

Using a tyre with damage to the rim protection is fine. Sure, it's damage in the sidewall area but in an area designed to take damage. It's not to be confused with a similar looking nick in the centre of the sidewall, that would be potentially unsafe.

To be fair, if someone posted a pic of that tyre on here and said Advance Pitstop recommended they replace that tyre based on that damage, you'd have a thread full of "Advance Pitstop unnecessary upsell", "that tyre is fine, it's only in the rim protection", "dont trust the motor industry" type stuff.

Every tyre is potentially unsafe, there's only four of them and they are the only things giving you a grip on the road.

Personally speaking, there is no way I would drive or let anyone I know drive with a damaged tyre like the one in the original post.

Why take risks for the sake of 60 euro?

Every tyre is potentially unsafe, there's only four of them and they are the only things giving you a grip on the road.

Personally speaking, there is no way I would drive or let anyone I know drive with a damaged tyre like the one in the original post.

60e??
    Buying linglangs or wingwongs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

antodeco wrote: »

I wouldn’t expect that to fail NCT. It’s still thicker in that spot than a tyre without rim protection.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    I wouldn’t expect that to fail NCT. It’s still thicker in that spot than a tyre without rim protection.

I agree.
    OP, what's the brand and model of the tyre?

Because there's no risk, the tyre is fine.

Unless you have too much money and the €60 is burning a hole in your pocket. I'm a big fan of keeping good tyres and not skimping on them but I'd be just as big a fan of not wasting money unnecessarily.

For me personally, I'd keep it.

I put new tyres on my car about a week ago. Seen a nail in the rear tyre about 3 days ago. I think it's too close to the edge to be fixable. So I'll just drive around with the nail in it until i have absolutely no choice but to replace it.

For reference though, I have had a 'blowout' at 130km/h on the motorway. I heard the tyre. That was how I knew it had blown. The car didn't slide dramatically side to side or flip over, so my stance on tyres is to just let them die in these situations, instead of throwing money at replacing them unnecessarily.

That said, I was sold a part worn before that had been repaired on the side-wall (apparently a big no-no). I didn't know until it was being replaced and the lads taking it off noticed it and showed me. So if i drove fine on that, then I'm sure you'd get by fine on your tyre, OP.

60e??
    Buying linglangs or wingwongs?

linglangs, wingwongs and the likes are grand, though. They get unnecessary hate, in my opinion.

Most people potter about at 50-80. Even on the motorway you'll see many, many cars doodling along at 100 at most. Not everyone will benefit from the additional grip of a premium tyre, as they won't be booting it around the place to begin with.

If you're an aggressive driver, or you're one of those Audi/BMW drivers that can't manage time and always seem to be late for things, then spending the extra on tyres that might save your ass when you dart around a bend on a rural road and meet a tractor coming at you might make sense.

For John and Mary that potter over to Tesco once a week, it's hardly worth bothering.

For me personally, I'd keep it.

I put new tyres on my car about a week ago. Seen a nail in the rear tyre about 3 days ago. I think it's too close to the edge to be fixable. So I'll just drive around with the nail in it until i have absolutely no choice but to replace it.

For reference though, I have had a 'blowout' at 130km/h on the motorway. I heard the tyre. That was how I knew it had blown. The car didn't slide dramatically side to side or flip over, so my stance on tyres is to just let them die in these situations, instead of throwing money at replacing them unnecessarily.

That said, I was sold a part worn before that had been repaired on the side-wall (apparently a big no-no). I didn't know until it was being replaced and the lads taking it off noticed it and showed me. So if i drove fine on that, then I'm sure you'd get by fine on your tyre, OP.

Oh dear lord.....

Kkv that's a terribly bad idea.....

I went through 2 brand new tyres in less then 2 weeks of them fitted. One blew out on M50 at speed and the other got punctured with a piece of metal....

The damage on the inside of the tyre was mad as outside looked fairly ok....

Please get it sorted or replace....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

antodeco wrote: »

I've seen testers fail very similar sidewall damage.

Advertisement