Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kerb damage to sidewall - cosmetic or structural?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

How does that work, how does Ms O Rourkes behaviors stop a child running out in front of her between cars or some idiot jamming on the brakes in front of her for no reason?

The difference in tyers could be the difference between a stay in hospital for a few weeks and being dead for her or the other party. Surely you get that? You can need grip even well below the speed limit especially in our changeable weather and on our poor roads.

I am guessing your the type that doesn't see the point in heath insurance, or life assurance. Sure your fit as a fiddle what could possibly happen?

The tyres being Chinese makes no difference, its the fact they can get from china to here and still only cost 25 euro a corner that is the worry

I'm not arguing a difference between premium tyres and muck

I'm saying a cautious pensioner that keeps to the rules and keeps driving local doesn't need to pay premium and buy michelin pilot sports or whatever on their yaris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

McCrack wrote: »

I'm saying a cautious pensioner that keeps to the rules and keeps driving local doesn't need to pay premium and buy michelin pilot sports or whatever on their yaris

You cant even get those sort of tyres in those sizes, so I dont know what your point is. There are basically budget - performance and premium tyres. Ditch finders are below budget again.

You have never obviously driven with a "cautious" pensioner or watched your kids play while "cautious" pensioners drive around but by god its totally the opposite of what you think. Half of them are on medications that cause issues with driving or their eyesight is terrible.

Being a cautious driver means that you know the importance of tyres and you dont overestimate your own skills or underestimate other driver stupidity, my point that accidents happen to even the most cautious driver seem to not be hitting home, I will leave it there.

Even premium tyres are fairly cheap in the sizes for small city cars so price isn’t even an issue, the attitude of “give me the cheapest tyre you have” is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭creedp

Even premium tyres are fairly cheap in the sizes for small city cars so price isn’t even an issue, the attitude of “give me the cheapest tyre you have” is the problem.

Or the attitude of the tyre sellers "I have a good tyre here that would be perfect for you ... I have the same tyre on my own car and swear by then ... "

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You cant even get those sort of tyres in those sizes, so I dont know what your point is. There are basically budget - performance and premium tyres. Ditch finders are below budget again.

You have never obviously driven with a "cautious" pensioner or watched your kids play while "cautious" pensioners drive around but by god its totally the opposite of what you think. Half of them are on medications that cause issues with driving or their eyesight is terrible.

Being a cautious driver means that you know the importance of tyres and you dont overestimate your own skills or underestimate other driver stupidity, my point that accidents happen to even the most cautious driver seem to not be hitting home, I will leave it there.

Accidents never happen on the roads, which is why police forces call them collisions or incidents, there is always someone to blame and if the driver is using poor quality, or worn premium, tyres then they will be partially responsible for the collision But they will be fully responsible for the severity of the collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Perhaps - but cheaper/cheapest is not necessarily inferior or at least inadequate for a pensioner or whoever that merely drives sensibly in their locality - perhaps a 1 or 2k miles a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    I have a similar nick in my rim protector on a Goodyear tyre, i brought it to my tyre man when it happened, he said no issue or need to replace it, had him inspect it a second time whilst having a puncture repaired, again said no issue. On mine the nick is still attached to tyre, ive glued it back . Have an NCT on Wednesday, fingers crossed :)

Passed NCT, the tester actually cut the slither of rubber off, i had it glued, so he could inspect if any impact on sidewall. Obviously viewed it as a rim protector and passed it. I gave a bum steer on brand, not Goodyear, they are Uniroyal rainsport 3's.

Edit: i was also a bit worried about inside shoulders on rear tyres, they are wearing more than rest of tyre, about 3/4 of an inch from edge, tester mentioned this to me and advised to change them over next 2/3 month's and tracking looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

wingnut wrote: »
    Good tyre, clipped the kerb. Safe or replace?

How much life is left in it?

If it was me I'd replace it unless the car's only used for short lowish speed trips tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

failed my NCT for similar damage :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Rim protection. Doesnt affect the tire in the slightest. If you saw the chunks iv in my back 2.

• Advertisement

On the subject of Chinese tires and sur arent premium made there too.

Ring up a China factory give them a spec, compound etc and order 1000 tires. Do that 10 more times. Every time you'll get a different tire. They cant resist using 9% instead silica of the spaced 10% to save money. Next order might be 6%. Next 8%. Same with steel. They will always try shave the expensive ingredients to save money.

Difference is eg Goodyear with have a constant testers and presence to make sure what they ask for is what they get.

I know a fella for steel and his only job is back and forth to China and the surrounding countries to ensure they have the right mix used for steel so when they say its 316 stainless or 6063 aluminium that it will be when its finished. That's the difference

But for Ms O Rourke who lives in a modest local house and the temperate irish climate surely sub standard building materials are good enough for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

But for Ms O Rourke who lives in a modest local house and the temperate irish climate surely sub standard building materials are good enough for her.

What in the name of God are you waffling on about?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

What in the name of God are you waffling on about?

I am being terribly clever, its call an "argumentum ad absurdum", its a not difficult thing to understand but would require you read the thread and noted the poster that said what, hope that helps enjoy the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I am being terribly clever, its call an "argumentum ad absurdum", its a not difficult thing to understand but would require you read the thread and noted the poster that said what, hope that helps enjoy the journey.

Maybe in your own little bubble that's what you honestly think but really you are making no sense, please refrain.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Perhaps - but cheaper/cheapest is not necessarily inferior or at least inadequate for a pensioner or whoever that merely drives sensibly in their locality - perhaps a 1 or 2k miles a year or so.

When I'm in residential areas or <60 limits I try to stick to them. You'd be amazed how many people disappear in the distance when I'm doing an indicated, ~48km/h, or true 50km/h on cruise control. So your pensioner driving sensibly could be exceeding the speed limits if they don't pay attention and from my experience very few motorists pay that much attention to their speed.

Maybe in your own little bubble that's what you honestly think but really you are making no sense, please refrain.

Maybe its more difficult to understand than I thought? Anyway I would never attempt to tell another poster what to post or be so condescending, I would be a awful twat to do that, so I would encourage them to reread to thread, maybe take some notes or ask a friend to help with the bigger words.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

The other half got a flat but was fortunate visiting ex employer were a worker from their transport unit rescued her and plugged the hole made by the 3 inch nail (see photo) but suggested a new tyre would be need due to where it entered. What your thoughts?

Thanks W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭sundodger5

new tyre even without where the nail penetrated.
    Tyre has clearly been ran on underinflated looking at the sidewall.
    Change asap

sundodger5 wrote: »
    new tyre even without where the nail penetrated.
    Tyre has clearly been ran on underinflated looking at the sidewall.
    Change asap

Parking rubbing against curbs will also do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭sundodger5

not in such an even manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, that needs a tyre. The underinflation damage is probably from the time of the puncture. Shame, nice bit of tread left.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    not in such an even manner.

Yes you can. My friend parks his car clung to the curb to help his mother get out. Wore the writing off both tires left side of the car. Smooth out but a fail on nct because they couldn't confirm the standards or weight rating.

Advertisement