Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kerb damage to sidewall - cosmetic or structural?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

linglangs, wingwongs and the likes are grand, though. They get unnecessary hate, in my opinion.

Most people potter about at 50-80. Even on the motorway you'll see many, many cars doodling along at 100 at most. Not everyone will benefit from the additional grip of a premium tyre, as they won't be booting it around the place to begin with.

If you're an aggressive driver, or you're one of those Audi/BMW drivers that can't manage time and always seem to be late for things, then spending the extra on tyres that might save your ass when you dart around a bend on a rural road and meet a tractor coming at you might make sense.

For John and Mary that potter over to Tesco once a week, it's hardly worth bothering.

I slid on ditch finders when turning at traffic lights from a standing start in a residential area I was doing at most 15km/h, replaced the tyres and never slid again.

When you stand on the brakes even at low speed quality tyres will out preform cheap tyres and that could be the difference between a minor incident and a serious one.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I slid on ditch finders when turning at traffic lights from a standing start in a residential area I was doing at most 15km/h, replaced the tyres and never slid again.

When you stand on the brakes even at low speed quality tyres will out preform cheap tyres and that could be the difference between a minor incident and a serious one.

I do understand what you're saying. Personally, I'm rocking around Ireland to the tune of about 60-70,000km per year. I've been doing this for about 5 years now, and I go down all kinds of back roads, boreens, motorways and everything in between.

My stance is to get tyres on the car that are cheap and have grip. Once i change the tyres, I do my own little brake test. If the car slides unnecessarily, I'll adapt my driving as I'm aware of it. However, I can honestly say that it's never really happened.

There was a time when I had a Focus Estate a few years back, and it had the tyres on it that came with it. Now, I never checked them as I was straight into work (driving) and i never thought of it. I slid on a roundabout (back of the car started drifting) which made me check them. All four tyres were like F1 tyres. Not a tread to be found on any of them. They were the worst tyres I'd ever seen in my life.

I changed them fairly swiftly, however, i still must have been driving on them for the best part of 3 full long days, and got by just fine. It was only when I got onto a wet roundabout, at a bit of speed, that I had an issue.

This experience (coupled with my other tyre experiences, such as the 130kph blowout, nails/screws in tyres, badly/illegally repaired tyres put on the car, etc) gives me a bit of a nonchalant attitude towards tyres in general. I find that even the shoddiest tyres will do most people (myself included if im not rushing anywhere) just fine.

Now, I'm not saying that people shouldn't take tyre safety seriously. And if someone feels uncomfortable driving with a scuffed sidewall, or a nail in the tyre, or whatever, then they should head straight to a tyre centre. I'd never say otherwise.

My personal stance is that the danger posed by tyres just isn't as grave as many may make it out to be, though, and often that certain tyres (and brands) that get a hammering, are actually perfectly fine for 90% of the population to use.

On boards, you tend to find that recommending a linglang or a wingwong as they've been jokingly called, will get you met with scorn. But they're fine for the vast majority.

Ms. O Rourke in her 191 Micra that's never seen 4th gear doesn't need a premium set of tyres. :)

I wouldn’t be charging that, have similar myself on a tyre for ages (probably slight less damaged) and it’s perfect. Even left the car in for tracking and balancing recently and the tyre place never commented on it and tyre love trying to sell tyres.

Also 60 lol, tyres for my car are 130 a corner min and I don’t buy crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Ms. O Rourke in her 191 Micra that's never seen 4th gear doesn't need a premium set of tyres. :)

She doesnt your right...its the pedestrian she hits that will appreciate a better tyre, cause Ms O Rourkes reaction time is slow enough already without bad rubber elongating her braking distance.

Having good tyres is just good roadcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭sundodger5

ok semi professional opinion, I quit the tyre game years back.
    If you came in to me asking should that be changed, and you had driven a bit on it. I would advise it is fine.
    Why? The chords in the sidewall are not showing (think that was what a poster above was getting at re the rules)
    Also no sign of a bulge. A bulge occurs when 1 or more of the chords fracture in the sidewall leaving just the strength of the rubber. In essence a weak spot.
    as others have mentioned the rubber is thicker there to act as a rim protector...or not in this case looking at the rim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

She doesnt your right...its the pedestrian she hits that will appreciate a better tyre, cause Ms O Rourkes reaction time is slow enough already without bad rubber elongating her braking distance.

Having good tyres is just good roadcraft.

But it's quite unlikely Ms O Rourke will hit the pedestrian in the first place because she drives cautious and obeys the rules

McCrack wrote: »
    But it's quite unlikely Ms O Rourke will hit the pedestrian in the first place because she drives cautious and obeys the rules

THats no how accidents work, a child, cyclist, pedestian, other car can appear in front of you on a wet and cold day without warning and without and care for the cautiousness of your driving or your obedience of the rules. All that prevents you from hitting them, or from hitting them at greater speed is your reaction time and your braking distance.

Two car collisions often involve one party not at fault and given the amount of numpties on the road and footpaths I would rather every advantage

I know it would be nice to think that you can save a few quid with the 25 euro a corner tyres cause you drive better than everyone else, but following your own logic its the other people you need to avoid and tyres play a key role in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

All things being equal but it's not like that in real life

Ms O Rourke drives very sensible so it's highly unlikely she is going to be hitting pedestrians unless it's a lemming and no fancy tyre is going to make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Gas though, most of the thread are all for spending the money replacing a perfectly fine tyre "just encase" but the same crowd wont spend the few bob on a good quality tyre "just encase".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Gas though, most of the thread are all for spending the money replacing a perfectly fine tyre "just encase" but the same crowd wont spend the few bob on a good quality tyre "just encase".

No what's gas is yourself and others think a tyre with a hole in the side is better than a brand new tyre in perfect condition.

All new tyres sold here have to meet minimum standards in Europe since 2012.

They are all potentially unsafe and dangerous but I'd rather not drive on one that is damaged to such an extent there is a piece of it missing.

What happens if the same driver parks in the same spot again and damages the tyre even more? That tyre is tubeless, it's not solid rubber.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

It's a rim protector.
    It's supposed to get damaged instead of the side wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

No what's gas is yourself and others think a tyre with a hole in the side is better than a brand new tyre in perfect condition.

It's not better than a new tyre, particularly visually. There isn't a hole in it, if there was, it wouldn't hold air. There is a piece of rubber missing from a sacraficial area of the tyre that doesn't compromise the tyres ability to do its job. The tyre is perfectly serviceable.

The only thing compromised is the rim scratch protection in that area, which doesn't matter now anyway as the rim is scratched.

It's not unfit for purpose though, which is what people are suggesting when they say they would replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I do understand what you're saying. Personally, I'm rocking around Ireland to the tune of about 60-70,000km per year. I've been doing this for about 5 years now, and I go down all kinds of back roads, boreens, motorways and everything in between.

My stance is to get tyres on the car that are cheap and have grip. Once i change the tyres, I do my own little brake test. If the car slides unnecessarily, I'll adapt my driving as I'm aware of it. However, I can honestly say that it's never really happened.

There was a time when I had a Focus Estate a few years back, and it had the tyres on it that came with it. Now, I never checked them as I was straight into work (driving) and i never thought of it. I slid on a roundabout (back of the car started drifting) which made me check them. All four tyres were like F1 tyres. Not a tread to be found on any of them. They were the worst tyres I'd ever seen in my life.

I changed them fairly swiftly, however, i still must have been driving on them for the best part of 3 full long days, and got by just fine. It was only when I got onto a wet roundabout, at a bit of speed, that I had an issue.

This experience (coupled with my other tyre experiences, such as the 130kph blowout, nails/screws in tyres, badly/illegally repaired tyres put on the car, etc) gives me a bit of a nonchalant attitude towards tyres in general. I find that even the shoddiest tyres will do most people (myself included if im not rushing anywhere) just fine.

Now, I'm not saying that people shouldn't take tyre safety seriously. And if someone feels uncomfortable driving with a scuffed sidewall, or a nail in the tyre, or whatever, then they should head straight to a tyre centre. I'd never say otherwise.

My personal stance is that the danger posed by tyres just isn't as grave as many may make it out to be, though, and often that certain tyres (and brands) that get a hammering, are actually perfectly fine for 90% of the population to use.

On boards, you tend to find that recommending a linglang or a wingwong as they've been jokingly called, will get you met with scorn. But they're fine for the vast majority.

You found the issue on a wet roundabout. Makes sense. What you didn't happen to find was an emergency situation where you had to swerve to avoid someone. The bald tyre would have resulted in an accident where it could have been avoided and it's difficult to drive in a manner that caters for all accident situations.

All new tyres sold here have to meet minimum standards in Europe since 2012.

They are all potentially unsafe and dangerous but I'd rather not drive on one that is damaged to such an extent there is a piece of it missing.

What happens if the same driver parks in the same spot again and damages the tyre even more? That tyre is tubeless, it's not solid rubber.

When you slam on the brakes on a wet road that little nick isn’t going to prevent a premium tyre from stopping you. Having a brand new Chinese tyre on the other hand could leave you buried in the car in front, a pedestrian etc.

A nearly fully worn premium tyre with a chunk gone is far superior to a brand new Chinese piece of crap. I don’t think some people realise how bad some of these cheap tyres are.

When you slam on the brakes on a wet road that little nick isn’t going to prevent a premium tyre from stopping you. Having a brand new Chinese tyre on the other hand could leave you buried in the car in front, a pedestrian etc.

A nearly fully worn premium tyre with a chunk gone is far superior to a brand new Chinese piece of crap. I don’t think some people realise how bad some of these cheap tyres are.

You need to open your eyes nox, it's 2019 now.

Forget about the imitation Action Man you got in the pound shop 30 years ago that broke after 5 minutes.

The Chinese are producing some of the best quality products available in the world for a fraction of the price for quite some time now.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭sundodger5

but most of the tyres are junk tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Forget about the imitation Action Man you got in the pound shop 30 years ago that broke after 5 minutes.

The Chinese are producing some of the best quality products available in the world for a fraction of the price for quite some time now.

Just not when it comes to tyres! You won’t see any of their tyres topping tyre tests on review websites like tyrereviews.co.uk for example.

The Chinese make the iPhone but they also make crap phones. No one is saying don't buy Chinese they are saying don't buy the cheap low quality stuff they make, but the quality products instead.

The Chinese make the iPhone but they also make crap phones. No one is saying don't buy Chinese they are saying don't buy the cheap low quality stuff they make, but the quality products instead.

Cheers Del, thanks for clearing that up.

McCrack wrote: »
    All things being equal but it's not like that in real life

Ms O Rourke drives very sensible so it's highly unlikely she is going to be hitting pedestrians unless it's a lemming and no fancy tyre is going to make a difference

How does that work, how does Ms O Rourkes behaviors stop a child running out in front of her between cars or some idiot jamming on the brakes in front of her for no reason?

The difference in tyers could be the difference between a stay in hospital for a few weeks and being dead for her or the other party. Surely you get that? You can need grip even well below the speed limit especially in our changeable weather and on our poor roads.

I am guessing your the type that doesn't see the point in heath insurance, or life assurance. Sure your fit as a fiddle what could possibly happen?

The tyres being Chinese makes no difference, its the fact they can get from china to here and still only cost 25 euro a corner that is the worry

• Advertisement

As others have said I didn’t say all Chinese products are crap but for the most part their tyres are. I’ve driven cars with them on and some are nothing short of lethal on a wet road compared to a premium tyre. They are so bad it’s actually hard to believe.

As others have said I didn’t say all Chinese products are crap but for the most part their tyres are. I’ve driven cars with them on and some are nothing short of lethal on a wet road compared to a premium tyre. They are so bad it’s actually hard to believe.

Ah no, these posters are masters of car control and can assess the grip levels within moments of driving any car on any surface. They know exactly whats around every corner, and what every other driver is going to do. Snow, ICE, Hail, rain, black ice, oil spills, sudden maneuvers...doesn't matter these chaps are driving gods, and can catch any slide, and their car maintained to the minimum standard, every expense spared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The truth..
    Actually lots of products being bought by Chinese goods 'snobs' are being imported from China, run through laser machines and rebranded/renamed.. face facts China Rocks :)

Ohhh ps: I would get a new tyre, the forces in that area are much greater from constantly cornering hence the extra strength/thickness,.not in my opinion to protect from kerb mishaps!? Not only is the lettering gone,it has also gone another few millimetres deeper.

Ah no, these posters are masters of car control and can assess the grip levels within moments of driving any car on any surface. They know exactly whats around every corner, and what every other driver is going to do. Snow, ICE, Hail, rain, black ice, oil spills, sudden maneuvers...doesn't matter these chaps are driving gods, and can catch any slide, and their car maintained to the minimum standard, every expense spared.

I'm far from a driving god which is why I want to have the best quality safety devices fitted to my vehicle, tyres are your 1st safety device.

Who would you consider to be a driving god and do they drive on cheap Chinese tyres that meets the minimum requirement or quality tyres?

I'm far from a driving god which is why I want to have the best quality safety devices fitted to my vehicle, tyres are your 1st safety device.

Who would you consider to be a driving god and do they drive on cheap Chinese tyres that meets the minimum requirement or quality tyres?

Maybe I’m wrong but I think he is agreeing that cheap tyres are crap and the post is directed st those saying otherwise?

That must have been before 2012 nox, times change.

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Just not when it comes to tyres! You won’t see any of their tyres topping tyre tests on review websites like tyrereviews.co.uk for example.

You need to check facts instead of spouting untruths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I have a similar nick in my rim protector on a Goodyear tyre, i brought it to my tyre man when it happened, he said no issue or need to replace it, had him inspect it a second time whilst having a puncture repaired, again said no issue. On mine the nick is still attached to tyre, ive glued it back . Have an NCT on Wednesday, fingers crossed :)

secman wrote: »
    I have a similar nick in my rim protector on a Goodyear tyre, i brought it to my tyre man when it happened, he said no issue or need to replace it, had him inspect it a second time whilst having a puncture repaired, again said no issue. On mine the nick is still attached to tyre, ive glued it back . Have an NCT on Wednesday, fingers crossed :)

Goodyear, the first global tyre manufacturer to open a plant in China, 25 years ago.

Phase 5 of their expansion plans there should be complete soon.

• Advertisement

i think people are getting confused between tyres manufactured in China and el cheapo ditch-finders, there is some overlap on that venn diagram but the two are not Synonymous

Advertisement