Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people supporting English football teams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Were you able to look up 'dope' using the "search function"?

'No Results'

Plenty for 'PC prick's' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Looks like your buddy Ginger Bread can use the search function but can't do what he told me to do and do research prior to posting.

Btw, my child was born here too 13 years ago and is not Irish.

Define Irish then. Actually don’t. Tell me the rules for eligibility to play for Ireland. I’d say being born in Ireland is high up the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Looks like your buddy Ginger Bread can use the search function but can't do what he told me to do and do research prior to posting.

Btw, my child was born here too 13 years ago and is not Irish.

OK, I'll play with you.................Must be tough to get any sort of state benefits like healthcare, social welfare, citizenship, proper schooling, jobs etc for them. Do they live in some limbo, like an airport terminal?

Must be tough to get any sort of state benefits like healthcare, social welfare, citizenship, proper schooling, jobs etc for them. Do they live in some limbo, like an airport terminal?

What's a dope, though?

That's the real question, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭omega man

Each to their own OP.

GAA is my passion but I’ve supported an English football team since the 80’s and have often travelled over for matches.

However you can’t beat the feeling of your own ‘home’ team winning, I don’t care what anyone says there’s no comparison.

I also detest the republican type Celtic supports whom often refer to the GAA as bog ball. Can’t get my head around that attitude albeit from a small enough minority.

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    Define Irish then. Actually don’t. Tell me the rules for eligibility to play for Ireland. I’d say being born in Ireland is high up the list.

The rules say if you're born in Ireland, you're Irish alright. However I believe that a child born of two African parents regardless of where they were born is African. note I'm only using African parents as an example.

Rules or no rules I'm entitled to believe that and that belief does not make me a racist or a dope.

"I am only using African"

What does that bloody mean............... Where are you from yourself that you don't consider your child Irish born child Irish.

Actually, I am not playing anymore. I am sure someone will spend longer feeding on your bait

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The rules say if you're born in Ireland, you're Irish alright. However I believe that a child born of two African parents regardless of where they were born is African. note I'm only using African parents as an example.

Rules or no rules I'm entitled to believe that and that belief does not make me a racist or a dope.

I didn’t call you either of those things but what you believe to be Irish has no impact on citizenship or eligibility to play for the Irish team thankfully.

Saying someone who identifies as Irish, grew up in Ireland, has a strong Irish accent, Irish education and even represents an Irish international team and is perfectly and legally entitled to same self national identification isn't Irish based on their skin colour, is, if you state it is your opinion, a racist opinion, no matter how you dress it up.

A feature of a dope is ignorance and if you are ignorant to all those facts, namely that your opinion is racist, then yeah, the name befits.

I think your comments are far stronger and, indeed, dangerous in society than me calling you ignorant.

So, yeah, you are very much entitled to your opinion but like it or not people are entitled and right to call your opinion racist and ignorant.

Now I know you are seeking reaction, but I just want to clarify what my comments mean, for fear you are playing the victim of unjustifiable name calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What about the real weirdos who support actual "foreign" clubs.

Saying someone who identifies as Irish, grew up in Ireland, has a strong Irish accent, Irish education and even represents an Irish international team and is perfectly and legally entitled to same self national identification isn't Irish based on their skin colour, is, if you state it is your opinion, a racist opinion, no matter how you dress it up.

A feature of a dope is ignorance and if you are ignorant to all those facts, namely that your opinion is racist, then yeah, the name befits.

I think your comments are far stronger and, indeed, dangerous in society than me calling you ignorant.

So, yeah, you are very much entitled to your opinion but like it or not people are entitled and right to call your opinion racist and ignorant.

Now I know you are seeking reaction, but I just want to clarify what my comments mean, for fear you are playing the victim of unjustifiable name calling.

I did not say it was based on their skin colour. You are deliberately trying to do what you are accusing me of trying to do and that's look for a reaction.

Please take your own advice now and don't reply to me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"Yous did well the weekend. Who do yous have next?"

Or..

"He's done well for us all season."

This is the kind of sh1te I can't help overhearing every fuking Monday.

But it is their skin colour, stop playing coy............. a circumstance of their parents skin colour. Because why else aren't they Irish which you claimed they weren't?

Worm away from your comments when someone calls you out! Embarrassing stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Roddy Doyle writes an excellent piece on his first match back in Dalymount after decades away.

The place was heaving

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pac1Man wrote: »

Or..

You ok Hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Shadwell Army!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

physioman wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. ��

nonsense post there are several irish players in the EPL loads just outside it the championship , they have such a value to the irish national team i take it we should just ignore the whole lot of them ......or just use it our advantage which we are trying without being stupidly interrupted by stupid posts and threads like this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Pac1Man wrote: »

Or..

it might be easier if you go somewhere they speak english , nothing worse then someone using the word youse ( not even close to a word :D) let alone using it twice

if you want to improve your mondays listen to people that speak english :rolleyes:

Delighted the scum drew today.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Delighted the scum drew today.

Let me guess, you are 10, 12? Or maybe just a bit pathetic. "The scum" . Christ,

Scum on Thursday nights channel 5 next season lol.

Oh what a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

After the 2 semi finals we can safely put this one to bed

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's what windex is for.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What about Irish people supporting Welsh teams?

Is that OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

it might be easier if you go somewhere they speak english , nothing worse then someone using the word youse ( not even close to a word :D) let alone using it twice

if you want to improve your mondays listen to people that speak english :rolleyes:
    They say youse in Liverpool!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

RobMc59 wrote: »
    They say youse in Liverpool!:)

Yosser Hughes says Youse!

Advertisement