Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people supporting English football teams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Who are "we" playing tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Edgware wrote: »

We are playing Hearts away on Boxing Day...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Edgware wrote: »

Can you not use google?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

We're a bit thin on the ground this time of year for thteads ,so it's either this , a poppy rant or teachers being on holiday for 86 weeks a year.

Was thinking about opening the marching season thread early this year but can't do it in May. We'd be out on our feet by July.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes it does sadden me how quite a large number of Irish football 'fans' have such utter disdain for the LOI. Fine you don't follow it or you have no interest but why the open sneering hostility? I think it says more about the 'fan' than the league.
    It holds up a mirror and perhaps the 'fan' does not like what he sees. Too many (ahem) working class roots maybe...is it good old fashioned inferiority complex? 'Sure it's foreign. It must be better.'
    I live in England and within a 45 min radius I can go to a game in any league I want over this weekend and trust me I have watched some awful ****e over the years. I have honest to God seen better LOI games than some of PL games I have been to.

Half of that is in reaction to the open sneering hostility and disdain of LOI 'fans' to Irish football 'fans' ... it's an automatic defensive response. It's not exactly a welcoming atmosphere to casual fans.

You don't need a mirror to tell you it is better, by a country mile. Not because it is foreign but by any objective sporting standard. Nothing to do with an inferiority complex. It's where 99% of Irish international players have made their careers over the last 40 years. That is the reality.

There's a massive jump between the Championship and the LOI, as evidenced by the small number of players who have made the jump.

You're confusing entertainment level and standard of play. Some Champions League matches can be dull as dishwater, a championship playoff final can be end to end stuff, as can a League of Ireland game.
    A minor GAA match can be more exciting than a senior provincial game with two teams playing defensive systems.
    If you prefer the excitement fine, but don't pretend it's a better standard of players.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Berserker wrote: »
    Was thinking about opening the marching season thread early this year but can't do it in May. We'd be out on our feet by July.

Well there is a farmer bashing thread going on atm which has fallen down the pecking order a bit.

This thread was a decent effort but really it was done a few weeks back and by God no doubt it will be done again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So.. if standard is the issue... anyone going to see matches of the U17 Euros that are being held right now in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have you watched the stAndard of league of Ireland. It's brutal. No wonder people watch quality football that the premiership offers

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Annd9 wrote: »
    You must be on the wind up . Pretty sure if you look at pictures from Celtic v Linfield a couple of years ago you will see an array of IRA references in the crowd .

Pics please.

Maybe look up the dictionary for the meaning of sectarian while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Annd9

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have you watched the stAndard of league of Ireland. It's brutal. No wonder people watch quality football that the premiership offers

Nobody is debating the gap between the premiership and the Loi , it's ridiculous to do so . The point is it's everybody's league , it belongs to you and me, it's mostly Irish players and all are Irish teams some of which are up there with the oldest in Europe . If people could imagine what it would be like if we could support it a bit more .

Teams already punch well above their weight in Europe but Irish people seem to have no grasp of how good teams do with respect to the budget's and facilities they have .

Imagine regular European nights in Cork ,Dundalk or Dublin ? be it group stages or not , it would be magic .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Everyone knows the LOI standard is bad but we need as a nation a properly run professional league.
    Unfortunately we suffer from the same thing the A league does in Australia that the traditional game there Aussie rules clashes with the sport as much as Gaa here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DellyBelly wrote: »

You are comparing often part time footballers training after their work with Sanchez and Pogba, on nearly half a million a week.

Catch yourself on ya fool.

How do we apply the "support your local team" logic to those who like the NFL here? Should we all have to follow the Patriots and slag off those who follow the Seahawks?

479393.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Annd9

jk23 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the LOI standard is bad but we need as a nation a properly run professional league.
    Unfortunately we suffer from the same thing the A league does in Australia that the traditional game there Aussie rules clashes with the sport as much as Gaa here.

The facts do not back this up though , football is by far the largest sport in terms of participation . The country stops when the national team qualify for a tournament and add to that the thousands who will attend that tournament supporting them .
    You could also stand in Dublin Airport on a Saturday morning and watch the unbelievable amount of people flying off for a match across the water .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

"jk23 wrote: »

I was in Australia after the launch of the A league and it wasn’t going great attendance wise, a spokesman from the A league was on Telly saying ‘I know the quality isn’t great but if people came out and supported it then we would have more money to make it better’ he was right but talking down your own product isn’t a good sell.
    I worked with some Aussie lads who were into soccer and they reckoned the NSW league was better than the A league quality wise and it was really popular with the large immigrant communities from places like Greece and it thrived on its clannishness.
    I’m sure it’s changed by now but the A league didn't really compete with Aussie rules or the NRL it competed with other soccer. LOI is more competing for support with the premier league or Celtic than GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

inforfun wrote: »
    So.. if standard is the issue... anyone going to see matches of the U17 Euros that are being held right now in Ireland?

Watched the Ireland match on the telly last night. The guts of half the team aren't Irish and that put me off so I won't be watching them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The u15 USA boys team defeated the USA senior World Cup Winning women's team 7,1 in a 60 minute exhibition match.

The Newcastle Jets boys side beat The Aussie women 5 nil.

The u15 USA boys team defeated the USA senior World Cup Winning women's team 7,1 in a 60 minute exhibition match.

The Newcastle Jets boys side beat The Aussie women 5 nil.

Just telling us that the women's game is a very poor standard compared to men, or boys, football but not sure what it had to do with this thread?

Watched the Ireland match on the telly last night. The guts of half the team aren't Irish and that put me off so I won't be watching them again.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

All Irish citizens and all but 2 (who have Irish parents) were born in Ireland you dope.

If you are going to make stupid, bordering on racist statements, at least do some sort of research before embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement

All Irish citizens and all but 2 were born in Ireland you dope.

That's right, yeah.

What's a dope?

All Irish citizens and all but 2 (who have Irish parents) were born in Ireland you dope.

If you are going to make stupid, bordering on racist statements, at least do some sort of research before embarrassing yourself.

Bordering on racist comments?

I am not a racist in any way shape or form.

Now for the second time, what is a dope?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Bordering on racist comments?

I am not a racist in any way shape or form.

Now for the second time, what is a dope?

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

I'm falling around the place laughing here.

Good one, man.

physioman wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. ��

Don't you support Arsenal, and refer to them as "we", "us" etc and seem invested to the point you lament certain players departing etc? I know you are just attention seeking but at least cover your tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Don't you support Arsenal, and refer to them as "we", "us" etc and seem invested to the point you lament certain players departing etc? I know you are just attention seeking but at least cover your tracks?

It would appear that - unlike the OP - you can use the search function.

Collie D wrote: »
    It would appear that - unlike the OP - you can use the search function.

The most un Irish of teams also! The last significant Irish player to represent them being Quinn, 30 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I believe there were two English born players in the starting 11 with the rest born here. I stand to be corrected on the number of foreign players but it certainly wasn’t “the guts of” or half.

Although you did says the guts of half which is what - more than 50% of 5.5 players? So let’s say three.

Collie D wrote: »
    I believe there were two English born players in the starting 11 with the rest born here. I stand to be corrected on the number of foreign players but it certainly wasn’t “the guts of” or half.

Although you did says the guts of half which is what - more than 50% of 5.5 players? So let’s say three.

Looks like your buddy Ginger Bread can use the search function but can't do what he told me to do and do research prior to posting.

Btw, my child was born here too 13 years ago and is not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looks like your buddy Ginger Bread can use the search function but can't do what he told me to do and do research prior to posting.

Were you able to look up 'dope' using the "search function"?

Advertisement