Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Displaying NCT, tax disc and insurance on windscreen

Options
  • 29-04-2019 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

The norm seems to be to display the tax disc and insurance details and NCT down at the bottom of the windscreen when the wipers park - but what is the law on where you can display them on the screen?, or just that they have to be displayed on the screen anywhere as long as they are on the front screen? - like if I wanted to, could put tax disc on bottom passenger side and insurance top .

Where do people on here display their documents on their screen?

Also on this subject , they are so tatty all these bits of paper stuck into the windscreen like this - can you ever see a day some time in the future whereby there will be no need to display all these bits of paper inside the windscreen like this any more? - it does seem an old fashioned way of doit it now these days. Should not a numberplate be sufficient where the authorities can put a numberplate in a database system and see if the car has correct and up to date insurance, tax and NCT and NCT ? - have other countries gone this way or do they still have to display all this paper in their windscreen like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can display them anywhere you wish on the windscreen, so long as they are visible and don't obscure the drivers view.

ANPR in a perfect world would be in every Garda car, and would have details of ownership, tax, NCT, and insurance. If that was the case there's no need for discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's actually never bothered me, displaying the three discs, it's not a huge deal. Actually, I have a bit of a smug feeling inside when I have all my discs on display with good long dates on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The norm seems to be to display the tax disc and insurance details and NCT down at the bottom of the windscreen when the wipers park - but what is the law on where you can display them on the screen?, or just that they have to be displayed on the screen anywhere as long as they are on the front screen? - like if I wanted to, could put tax disc on bottom passenger side and insurance top .

Where do people on here display their documents on their screen?

Also on this subject , they are so tatty all these bits of paper stuck into the windscreen like this - can you ever see a day some time in the future whereby there will be no need to display all these bits of paper inside the windscreen like this any more? - it does seem an old fashioned way of doit it now these days. Should not a numberplate be sufficient where the authorities can put a numberplate in a database system and see if the car has correct and up to date insurance, tax and NCT and NCT ? - have other countries gone this way or do they still have to display all this paper in their windscreen like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/16/untaxed-vehicles-uk-trebles-tax-disc-abolition-vehicle-excise-duty-dvla

And that from the country that was behind the invention of ANPR .

The UK is plastered with anpr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I never understood why someone would put it st the top, or along the side of their windscreen. It's out of the way down in the bottom corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I never understood why someone would put it st the top, or along the side of their windscreen. It's out of the way down in the bottom corner.

The triple disc holder creates a nice blind spot at the bottom left of the windscreen, I always put the holder at the top of the screen on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Neilw wrote: »
    The triple disc holder creates a nice blind spot at the bottom left of the windscreen, I always put the holder at the top of the screen on the left.

Depends on the car. With some all it's blocking is a view of bodywork.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

All mine are top left. In behind the passenger visor. I find them neater there and not an "eye sore"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

With the length of windscreens these days, you arent losing anything on the bottom of the screen.

I only have a 2 disc holder in the lower passenger side of windscreen.
    I keep the NCT disc and cert in the glove box.
    Never had a problem.. I'm not aware of any fine for non display of NCT
    The only offence is for not having an NCT disc... Which I have in the glove box, available for inspection at a checkpoint.

Having said that... I've never been asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I am not 100% sure, but I think not displaying nct disc is an offence, no?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    I am not 100% sure, but I think not displaying nct disc is an offence, no?

No

The only offence I can find is not having an NCT.
    Can't find any ticket for not displaying.
    I have it to hand to show if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mikeecho wrote: »
    The only offence I can find is not having an NCT.
    Can't find any ticket for not displaying.

Just because it's not a 'ticketable' offence doesn't mean there is no obligation to display the disc.

You can't get a ticket for no brake lights or indicators but try using that as an excuse when the cops pull you over!

coylemj wrote: »
    Just because it's not a 'ticketable' offence doesn't mean there is no obligation to display the disc.

You can't get a ticket for no brake lights or indicators but try using that as an excuse when the cops pull you over!

So what's the penalty ? Whats the summons? for non display.. where's the obligation?

I'm not aware of any, for non display of NCT disc.

What offence am I commiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I only have a 2 disc holder in the lower passenger side of windscreen.
    I keep the NCT disc and cert in the glove box.
    Never had a problem.. I'm not aware of any fine for non display of NCT
    The only offence is for not having an NCT disc... Which I have in the glove box, available for inspection at a checkpoint.

Having said that... I've never been asked for it.

That’s bizzare. Obviously whatever floats your boat but why not just display it like they’re designed to be?

So what's the penalty ? Whats the summons? for non display.. where's the obligation?

I'm not aware of any, for non display of NCT disc.

What offence am I commiting?

It took all of 10 seconds to Google 'obligation to display an nct disc' and I found this ......

5. A person shall not use in a public place a vehicle to which these Regulations apply unless there is displayed on the front windscreen of the said vehicle a valid test disc.

S.I. No. 395/1999 - Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations, 1999

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s bizzare. Obviously whatever floats your boat but why not just display it like they’re designed to be?

There's no need to.

Why should I go to the bother of removing the old 2disc holder, and cleaning the glue off, when u can just pop the valid NCT cert&disc in the glove box.

Never displayed one, and never had a problem

It took all of 10 seconds to Google 'obligation to display an nct disc' and I found this ......

5. A person shall not use in a public place a vehicle to which these Regulations apply unless there is displayed on the front windscreen of the said vehicle a valid test disc.

S.I. No. 395/1999 - Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations, 1999

Are there any penalties for failure or refusal ?

On a completely unrelated note.. I have been told that those Volvo dump trucks that you see on the road are illegal in some way... However, there is no penalty that can be imposed.

No, the cops give you a free lunch voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭This is it

You said you weren't committing an offence, you've now been shown that you are, now you've changed to penalties.

Don't display it if you don't want to, you don't need our approval.

No, the cops give you a free lunch voucher.

?

Explain. ??

Is there a power of arrest for non display?

AFAIK.
    For non display , there is no summons, no fcpn, no power of arrest, no penalty.

Am I right or wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

but how would he act all smug and know it all to the big mean guard when asked for it, i bet he cant wait for the day he gets asked for it

but how would he act all smug and know it all to the big mean guard when asked for it, i bet he cant wait for the day he gets asked for it

And I'll Just produce it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I personally prefer to have it there rather than being asked for it, same with driving license where while there is no penalty for not having it on you, I rather show it on the spot than go to the Garda station.

Just making my life that tiny bit easier.

Not an every day nuisance, but at the checkpoint they might ask you to pull over first etc.

I keep my discs (all of them) on the top left of the windscreen behind the visor.

I find it's easier for Garda/Traffic Warden to see them up there too (although this depends on the angle of your windscreen, I suppose).

So despite all the comments.. no-one can show that im commiting an offence that i can be prosecuted or penalised for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I keep my discs (all of them) on the top left of the windscreen behind the visor.

I find it's easier for Garda/Traffic Warden to see them up there too (although this depends on the angle of your windscreen, I suppose).

what angle is your windscreen? :)

i know what you mean though, I think I might move ours up in that space . It all looks ugly anywhere placed on the screen.. but it might look less uglier higher up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Exactly, dont give them a reason to engage with you. Besides, I don't want to give them an opportunity to smell the booze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I have a triple disk holder bottom left corner.i keep it there as I find it easier to put new disks in it there when they are renewed then trying to fit them if the holder was up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I put it in the top left, and to put it frankly, I never once whilst driving have had to avoid a bollard that I'm looking at in the top left of the windscreen, however on the bottom left I often do look there to avoid a bollard etc...

Don't understand the logic of having it in the bottom left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

So despite all the comments.. no-one can show that im commiting an offence that i can be prosecuted or penalised for.

it it our job to?...

Advertisement