Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Displaying NCT, tax disc and insurance on windscreen

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

First world problems! :D

You could just cut off the 3rd section.

Anyone know where you can get a 4-section holder? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    2 x 2 section holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

First world problems! :D

You could just cut off the 3rd section.

I did that today on ours.... Then couldn't see what dealer it come from properly... So then I cut that out too ...

God , how did we all used to survive back in the day where there was no NCT and all you had to display in the window was a round tax disc ? ...

When I first moved to Ireland my insurance place wanted a road worthyness certificate done on my car, Took it to garage, he looked at it, got me to put the lights on... Pulled the driver's seat belt a couple of times ... And then gave me the certificate, things were so much easier back then ....

What do u need a 4 section one for?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

I'm assuming car parking permit, a lot of workplaces, etc have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my three are on the bottom left hand side. no obstructing imo. technology that read a licence plate and could tell if all three or two for the newer cars, was readily available would probably be good but i wont be holding my breath thst itll exist nationwide in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm assuming car parking permit, a lot of workplaces, etc have them.
    Disc parking at home.

Had a lovely classy (well, as classy as these things can get) black one from Joe Duffy that held 3, now that I need NCT all they gave me was a white one that I've tagged on the end. Looks stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

antodeco wrote: »
    Boards is great. It allows people who believe they are above the law (through zero evidence) to be proven wrong (with valid evidence) and to continue to not accept the evidence as they believe they are above the law. It's the internet version of "Circle of life".

Probably a flat earther too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Neilw wrote: »
    Which causes an even worse blind spot on a high vehicle.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some people need 5 - Tax, Insurance, NCT, Street Permit, Work Permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I've 2x2 on bottom left of the lurry tax insurance cvrt and road haulier cert. Top left of the car dono y I put it there got a mad notion when I had to change it for the 3 disc holder hate it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Thats because they are old!
    I've an NCT exempt one myself.

Old cars are not exempt, still have to be tested every 2 years
    Edit saw you are referring to pre 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

my three are on the bottom left hand side. no obstructing imo. technology that read a licence plate and could tell if all three or two for the newer cars, was readily available would probably be good but i wont be holding my breath thst itll exist nationwide in my lifetime.

The problem in practice wih ANPR is the number of false positives and false negatives due to the time it takes for changes in details to be reflected in the ANPR backend system data.

I believe it was trialed for a while but abandoned because the data behind it was too inconsistent due to the delay in updating data. I believe there are plans to have a system in place by the end of this year.

To work it needs tax, insurance and NCT data to be updated in real time e.g. if I temporarily transfer my insurance to another car while mine is in for repairs or transfer it to a new car I don't want to be stopped every time I pass an ANPR equipped checkpoint or vehicle for the next few days or weeks.

The way insurance works in some other countries where the car is indured (not primarily particular driver for a particular car, as here) also makes it far simpler to implement ANPR checks. There the car is either insured (for any driver) or not.

Here I may be insured in my car but someone else might not (depending on whether I have open driving or they have driving other cars). This and delays in updating data reduces the effectiveness of ANPR based checks.

Disc parking at home.

Had a lovely classy (well, as classy as these things can get) black one from Joe Duffy that held 3, now that I need NCT all they gave me was a white one that I've tagged on the end. Looks stupid!

Joe Duffy of 'talk to joe' fame??? on rte radio1 - whats he doing giving out tax disc holders for cars? haha :D

rizzee wrote: »
    Probably a flat earther too :D

ya - the earth is flat :)

otherwise we would all fall off at the edge!

Some people need 5 - Tax, Insurance, NCT, Street Permit, Work Permit.

wow - if it keeps going soon there will be no windscreen to look out of!

makes you laugh , you can have all those obstructing the screen but i bet if you had a chip (crack - not the one you put salt n vinegar on :) ) on the windscreen in that place it would fail NCT for obstructing view....

mikeecho wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/16/untaxed-vehicles-uk-trebles-tax-disc-abolition-vehicle-excise-duty-dvla

And that from the country that was behind the invention of ANPR .

The UK is plastered with anpr.

and then underneath is the headline

DVLA disputes £400m revenue loss following abolition of tax disc

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/aug/18/dvla-disputes-revenue-loss-tax-disc

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

The main issue is cost - the population is so sparse here that it would not be at all cost effective - compared with the UK who have been building their network the last 15 to 20 years or so, the population density here is one fifth that of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Dealz has plain black or white 3 place holders. 2 are separate so you cut it down if needed.

The main issue is cost - the population is so sparse here that it would not be at all cost effective - compared with the UK who have been building their network the last 15 to 20 years or so, the population density here is one fifth that of the UK.

yeah thats right - you do find yourself still forgetting sometimes what little population there is in ROI compared to other countries, and that must have a lot of effect , sometimes on the whole of it we could even be asking ourselves of how much really is available in Ireland or where we are at with things considering the lower population in Ireland.

• Advertisement

You don't necessarily need a huge bunch of anpr cameras to enforce. They already have a database of taxed vehicles with expiration dates. No tax and no off the road declaration, issue a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

A few years ago somebody broke into my car and nicked all the documentation from the windscreen: tax, NCT cert, insurance. It was a mystery to me, and to the Guards to whom I reported it, as to why somebody should do so but maybe the car was so old and dilapidated they didn't think it worth stealing. :eek:

Anyway, until the paperwork was duplicated I was driving round with a big blank windscreen. I had a photocopy of the long-form NCT cert and insurance document in the glove compartment, but no proof of tax obviously. I was only stopped once. Guard was very understanding and didn't even check that I had reported it to the station I said I had.

It might have had something to do with car "ringing" but it was probably just good old fashioned vandalism.

You don't necessarily need a huge bunch of anpr cameras to enforce. They already have a database of taxed vehicles with expiration dates. No tax and no off the road declaration, issue a fine.

So then its a presumption its on the road? without being clocked by a camera? I dont see that working in the courts.

I would expect the Go-Safe speed vans will before long start to trigger fines when untaxed vehicles pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's what happens across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

So then its a presumption its on the road? without being clocked by a camera? I dont see that working in the courts.

I would expect the Go-Safe speed vans will before long start to trigger fines when untaxed vehicles pass them.

Few realise that strictly speaking you are legally required to tax any registered vehicle in the state even when kept on private land unless there is an off road vehicle declaration, the not in a public place exemption for motor tax ended in 2013.

I wait the "that's not true" comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's not true but it is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Isambard wrote: »
    it's not true but it is in the UK.

It is true here!

S20 of the Finance (No.2) Act 1992 as amended requires such.

The law changed on June 21st 2013, prior to this you required motor tax when a vehicle was:-

(a) registered in the state, and
    (b) not exclusively used/kept on land other than a public place.

Since the 2013 amendment the law now requires you to have motor tax when a vehicle is:-

(a) registered in the state, and
    (b) not declared off the road.

So even if you keep a vehicle exclusively on private land unless you declare it off the road you must tax it by law as the qualifying criteria is now simply that it is registered and not declared off the road rather than registered and used in a public place.

GM228 wrote: »
    Few realise that strictly speaking you are legally required to tax any registered vehicle in the state even when kept on private land unless there is an off road vehicle declaration, the not in a public place exemption for motor tax ended in 2013.

I wait the "that's not true" comments :)

if it true it stoopid

Well i never that had changed. The sneaky b**stards

• Advertisement

if it true it stoopid

It was to get rid of the well known scam of leaving the car untaxed and then declaring it off the road to get rid of arrears. Makes sense to me.

Advertisement