Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

• 11-04-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Who is everyone voting for in May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I am going to vote for the guy or gal who promises to shout loudly about creating jobs, getting university status and 24 hour cardiac care.

So yeah, pretty much any one of them. If there's a difference in any of the depressingly predictable and boring living, breathing stereotypes that have darkened my doorstep so far, I cannot discern it. First one to not bore the tits off me with the same old same old gets the vote and that's about the fairest way I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 little secret 1987

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I am going to vote for the guy or gal who promises to shout loudly about creating jobs, getting university status and 24 hour cardiac care.

So yeah, pretty much any one of them. If there's a difference in any of the depressingly predictable and boring living, breathing stereotypes that have darkened my doorstep so far, I cannot discern it. First one to not bore the tits off me with the same old same old gets the vote and that's about the fairest way I can do it.

I haven't a clue who to vote. Seem to be a lot of newbies around this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have a notice not to bother me on a front window.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Promising and actually doing anything are two very different things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There is another thread on this which could be merged.

Probably worth noting that these are local and European elections, so they won't be able to do much about creating jobs, university status or cardiac care.

Your councillor might be your go-to person if there is anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood, or if you think the council could be doing a better job minding the green spaces in your area.

This is an article from a couple of years ago about what councillors do: https://www.thejournal.ie/local-elections-2014-what-do-councillors-do-1441429-May2014/

MEPs then are representing Ireland's interests in the European parliament and regarding EU legislation.

This is an article about what an MEP does: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/what_do_they_do.html

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    There is another thread on this which could be merged.

Probably worth noting that these are local and European elections, so they won't be able to do much about creating jobs, university status or cardiac care.

Your councillor might be your go-to person if there is anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood, or if you think the council could be doing a better job minding the green spaces in your area.

This is an article from a couple of years ago about what councillors do: https://www.thejournal.ie/local-elections-2014-what-do-councillors-do-1441429-May2014/

MEPs then are representing Ireland's interests in the European parliament and regarding EU legislation.

This is an article about what an MEP does: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/what_do_they_do.html

You might want to forward that on to the two who have called to my door so far, they could use it.

You might want to forward that on to the two who have called to my door so far, they could use it.

Promising the world? Are they people who should know better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Has anyone called to doors yet? I loves the chat with them.

Couple of independents... so far .. both "I'll lean on the FG folks to get jobs and cardiac care etc... " unprompted. Oh puleeaaassse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Cabaal wrote: »
    Promising and actually doing anything are two very different things

yep look at Halligan....

• Advertisement

European and local election campaigns can officially kick off from this morning (from midnight).

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

The election posters have popped up. They are a complete eyesore.

In this day and age why are they still using them.

Some I have seen have been put in dangerous locations infringing on cycle lanes, infringing on footpaths and blocking views at junctions.

Should election posters be banished from our city??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I see one local (Dungarvan) candidate is running a poster-free campaign.
    Did I read somewhere that the local councillors tried to come to a no-poster agreement, but SF objected, as it would be unfair on new candidates (of which they have one, so unsurprising).
    They're a bloody eyesore, and seem completely at odds with the cutting back of single-use plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

madfcuker wrote:
    Should election posters be banished from our city??

I'd say their time is coming to an end, thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Couple of independents... so far .. both "I'll lean on the FG folks to get jobs and cardiac care etc... " unprompted. Oh puleeaaassse.

FG doesn't care about Waterford. It has the utmost disdain for Waterford and its environs. Continues to deprive of us basic medical facilities to the point we have rotten bodies on trolleys in our hospitals. Leo's constituency College of IT Blanshardstown was an IT two years after WIT was made IT in 1997 yet they get to become the first TU with DIT. We're not even next to become TU!

We have to actively fight this government imo, I'm sick of having sub standard services, few IDA visits, few job opportunities, and a city centre that really needs investment, not trickles like they seem to be doing with the North Quays.

FG doesn't care about Waterford. It has the utmost disdain for Waterford and its environs. Continues to deprive of us basic medical facilities to the point we have rotten bodies on trolleys in our hospitals. Leo's constituency College of IT Blanshardstown was an IT two years after WIT was made IT in 1997 yet they get to become the first TU with DIT. We're not even next to become TU!

We have to actively fight this government imo, I'm sick of having sub standard services, few IDA visits, few job opportunities, and a city centre that really needs investment, not trickles like they seem to be doing with the North Quays.

While I don't want to turn this into the University discussion, there you had two entities which merged. WIT does not appear to have anyone to merge with.

It appears the HSE were the ones involved in the mortuary issue, and the ones who tried to keep the issue from becoming public knowledge. As soon as it became public Harris dealt with it immediately.

hardybuck wrote: »
    While I don't want to turn this into the University discussion, there you had two entities which merged. WIT does not appear to have anyone to merge with.

It appears the HSE were the ones involved in the mortuary issue, and the ones who tried to keep the issue from becoming public knowledge. As soon as it became public Harris dealt with it immediately.

I believe all these issues are interrelated by a contempt for the South-East region.
    Same Harris who won't listen to us about 24/7 cardiac care? :D good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

full list of candidates yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

I'm not sure yet who I will be voting for but I know who I won't be voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

mojor wrote: »

I hope it comes back to bite each and everyone of them.

• Advertisement

I believe all these issues are interrelated by a contempt for the South-East region.
    Same Harris who won't listen to us about 24/7 cardiac care? :D good one.

My approach would be to try and look at the individual candidates who're in my district and try and make a judgement as to which ones as individuals I might like have representing me in my area.

Between all of the city's districts there are three FG councillors. I don't think having one or two less will make any difference to Government policy.

As an aside, Grace O'Sullivan from the Green Party looks to be running for the European elections. She'll probably be the only Waterford candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

A Renua wack job running in tramore. Priorities are bible study, pro-life and Irexit.

Amazingly he has 25 likes on Facebook.

WLRFM have uploaded videos from each councillor (not all nominations represented there as of now) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Qo7y6R3sc Check there channel to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

mojor wrote: »

Do you know any of their names? Just so I know who not to vote for

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

List with names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

At least they were up front with there beliefs. Others on the ballot sit on the fence plamasing which ever side they thought was more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

WLRFM have uploaded videos from each councillor (not all nominations represented there as of now) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Qo7y6R3sc Check there channel to view.

Only one from what I can see. Ridiculous comments re strong voice on cardiac care, university bla bla bla, it’s the effing council not Dáil Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I wont be giving any votes to the likes of the coasters like Cha O Neil, he is only in it for the wages and expenses, he couldn't give a fcuk about Waterford or the issues. I sometimes despair at how these people keep getting back in. I know there is some truth in "they are all the same" but people must really be stupid to fall for their election false promises crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I saw Varadkar is down in Cork and Limerick this week pushing a Yes vote for directly elected mayors. Is he due in Waterford any time soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

I saw Varadkar is down in Cork and Limerick this week pushing a Yes vote for directly elected mayors. Is he due in Waterford any time soon?
    Tuesday I believe

Advertisement