Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local elections

• 11-04-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Who is everyone voting for in May

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I am going to vote for the guy or gal who promises to shout loudly about creating jobs, getting university status and 24 hour cardiac care.

So yeah, pretty much any one of them. If there's a difference in any of the depressingly predictable and boring living, breathing stereotypes that have darkened my doorstep so far, I cannot discern it. First one to not bore the tits off me with the same old same old gets the vote and that's about the fairest way I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 little secret 1987

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I am going to vote for the guy or gal who promises to shout loudly about creating jobs, getting university status and 24 hour cardiac care.

So yeah, pretty much any one of them. If there's a difference in any of the depressingly predictable and boring living, breathing stereotypes that have darkened my doorstep so far, I cannot discern it. First one to not bore the tits off me with the same old same old gets the vote and that's about the fairest way I can do it.

I haven't a clue who to vote. Seem to be a lot of newbies around this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have a notice not to bother me on a front window.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Promising and actually doing anything are two very different things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There is another thread on this which could be merged.

Probably worth noting that these are local and European elections, so they won't be able to do much about creating jobs, university status or cardiac care.

Your councillor might be your go-to person if there is anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood, or if you think the council could be doing a better job minding the green spaces in your area.

This is an article from a couple of years ago about what councillors do: https://www.thejournal.ie/local-elections-2014-what-do-councillors-do-1441429-May2014/

MEPs then are representing Ireland's interests in the European parliament and regarding EU legislation.

This is an article about what an MEP does: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/what_do_they_do.html

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    There is another thread on this which could be merged.

Probably worth noting that these are local and European elections, so they won't be able to do much about creating jobs, university status or cardiac care.

Your councillor might be your go-to person if there is anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood, or if you think the council could be doing a better job minding the green spaces in your area.

This is an article from a couple of years ago about what councillors do: https://www.thejournal.ie/local-elections-2014-what-do-councillors-do-1441429-May2014/

MEPs then are representing Ireland's interests in the European parliament and regarding EU legislation.

This is an article about what an MEP does: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/what_do_they_do.html

You might want to forward that on to the two who have called to my door so far, they could use it.

You might want to forward that on to the two who have called to my door so far, they could use it.

Promising the world? Are they people who should know better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Has anyone called to doors yet? I loves the chat with them.

Couple of independents... so far .. both "I'll lean on the FG folks to get jobs and cardiac care etc... " unprompted. Oh puleeaaassse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Cabaal wrote: »
    Promising and actually doing anything are two very different things

yep look at Halligan....

• Advertisement

European and local election campaigns can officially kick off from this morning (from midnight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

The election posters have popped up. They are a complete eyesore.

In this day and age why are they still using them.

Some I have seen have been put in dangerous locations infringing on cycle lanes, infringing on footpaths and blocking views at junctions.

Should election posters be banished from our city??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I see one local (Dungarvan) candidate is running a poster-free campaign.
    Did I read somewhere that the local councillors tried to come to a no-poster agreement, but SF objected, as it would be unfair on new candidates (of which they have one, so unsurprising).
    They're a bloody eyesore, and seem completely at odds with the cutting back of single-use plastics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

madfcuker wrote:
    Should election posters be banished from our city??

I'd say their time is coming to an end, thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Couple of independents... so far .. both "I'll lean on the FG folks to get jobs and cardiac care etc... " unprompted. Oh puleeaaassse.

FG doesn't care about Waterford. It has the utmost disdain for Waterford and its environs. Continues to deprive of us basic medical facilities to the point we have rotten bodies on trolleys in our hospitals. Leo's constituency College of IT Blanshardstown was an IT two years after WIT was made IT in 1997 yet they get to become the first TU with DIT. We're not even next to become TU!

We have to actively fight this government imo, I'm sick of having sub standard services, few IDA visits, few job opportunities, and a city centre that really needs investment, not trickles like they seem to be doing with the North Quays.

FG doesn't care about Waterford. It has the utmost disdain for Waterford and its environs. Continues to deprive of us basic medical facilities to the point we have rotten bodies on trolleys in our hospitals. Leo's constituency College of IT Blanshardstown was an IT two years after WIT was made IT in 1997 yet they get to become the first TU with DIT. We're not even next to become TU!

We have to actively fight this government imo, I'm sick of having sub standard services, few IDA visits, few job opportunities, and a city centre that really needs investment, not trickles like they seem to be doing with the North Quays.

While I don't want to turn this into the University discussion, there you had two entities which merged. WIT does not appear to have anyone to merge with.

It appears the HSE were the ones involved in the mortuary issue, and the ones who tried to keep the issue from becoming public knowledge. As soon as it became public Harris dealt with it immediately.

While I don't want to turn this into the University discussion, there you had two entities which merged. WIT does not appear to have anyone to merge with.

It appears the HSE were the ones involved in the mortuary issue, and the ones who tried to keep the issue from becoming public knowledge. As soon as it became public Harris dealt with it immediately.

I believe all these issues are interrelated by a contempt for the South-East region.
    Same Harris who won't listen to us about 24/7 cardiac care? :D good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

full list of candidates yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

I'm not sure yet who I will be voting for but I know who I won't be voting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

mojor wrote: »

I hope it comes back to bite each and everyone of them.

• Advertisement

I believe all these issues are interrelated by a contempt for the South-East region.
    Same Harris who won't listen to us about 24/7 cardiac care? :D good one.

My approach would be to try and look at the individual candidates who're in my district and try and make a judgement as to which ones as individuals I might like have representing me in my area.

Between all of the city's districts there are three FG councillors. I don't think having one or two less will make any difference to Government policy.

As an aside, Grace O'Sullivan from the Green Party looks to be running for the European elections. She'll probably be the only Waterford candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

A Renua wack job running in tramore. Priorities are bible study, pro-life and Irexit.

Amazingly he has 25 likes on Facebook.

WLRFM have uploaded videos from each councillor (not all nominations represented there as of now) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Qo7y6R3sc Check there channel to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

mojor wrote: »

Do you know any of their names? Just so I know who not to vote for

List with names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

At least they were up front with there beliefs. Others on the ballot sit on the fence plamasing which ever side they thought was more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

WLRFM have uploaded videos from each councillor (not all nominations represented there as of now) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Qo7y6R3sc Check there channel to view.

Only one from what I can see. Ridiculous comments re strong voice on cardiac care, university bla bla bla, it’s the effing council not Dáil Éireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I wont be giving any votes to the likes of the coasters like Cha O Neil, he is only in it for the wages and expenses, he couldn't give a fcuk about Waterford or the issues. I sometimes despair at how these people keep getting back in. I know there is some truth in "they are all the same" but people must really be stupid to fall for their election false promises crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I saw Varadkar is down in Cork and Limerick this week pushing a Yes vote for directly elected mayors. Is he due in Waterford any time soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

I saw Varadkar is down in Cork and Limerick this week pushing a Yes vote for directly elected mayors. Is he due in Waterford any time soon?
    Tuesday I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Coming to Waterford on Tuesday i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I wont be giving any votes to the likes of the coasters like Cha O Neil, he is only in it for the wages and expenses, he couldn't give a fcuk about Waterford or the issues. I sometimes despair at how these people keep getting back in. I know there is some truth in "they are all the same" but people must really be stupid to fall for their election false promises crap.

I really want to protest vote against the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail politicians over their parties treatment of Waterford and go independent but when the alternative is the likes of him I just really don't know what to do.

I really want to protest vote against the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail politicians over their parties treatment of Waterford and go independent but when the alternative is the likes of him I just really don't know what to do.

My voting options are becoming very limited these days, I've gone from I'm giving up voting to I really must and want to, I know somebody that has gone to the point of writing abuse messages on polling cards. It's a difficult one, but I would recommend everyone to vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

A Renua wack job running in tramore. Priorities are bible study, pro-life and Irexit.

Amazingly he has 25 likes on Facebook.

There is more than one wack job running in Tramore!!!!!

List with names

i saw a post on twitter stating Matt Shanahan voted no also. he wasn't a councillor then but i find it baffling really that a health equality campaigner voted against health equality!

• Advertisement

Without someone from a controlling party you can forget about having any input on government. As tough as it may seem. I always have to wonder why someone would go independent, surely everyone could fit into one of the party's. FG, FF, Lab, SF!

Gardner wrote: »
    i saw a post on twitter stating Matt Shanahan voted no also. he wasn't a councillor then but i find it baffling really that a health equality campaigner voted against health equality!

How did he vote against health equality?

Without someone from a controlling party you can forget about having any input on government. As tough as it may seem. I always have to wonder why someone would go independent, surely everyone could fit into one of the party's. FG, FF, Lab, SF!

People should be free to vote for whoever they like, whether its an independent or otherwise

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    People should be free to vote for whoever they like, whether its an independent or otherwise

I don't think they're saying that people shouldn't be able to vote as they please, but they're setting out an opinion that an independent won't be able to influence government.

They also question why a candidate would run as an independent, that there must be a home for them idealogy wise among one of the parties.

Gardner wrote: »

An irony that sits well in Ireland! Like a minister for finance without a bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Did anybody quiz Leo about the North Quays, Airport or 24/7 Cardiac Care today?

so is there a full list of candidates yet?

How did he vote against health equality?

he voted no to repealing the 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭invara

I could not really believe what the Taoiseach said in Waterford yesterday about the Mortuary, and in particular about the four consultants (some of whom I know). On the same day that Cork Airport gets a €40m splurge from the EIB he came empty-handed to the city he promised would not be forgotten on his watch. The litany of broken promises (university, airport, 24/7 being the big three), and the hundreds of tiny decisions that go against this region are well documented.
    There was plenty of uncomfortable local FG folk doughnuting the picture, Maurice Cummins resignation from FG Waterford chair this week.... one has to wonder on the how, why, what of FG's bizarre approach to Waterford. This constituency has always had a strong FG element, and now when FG are in power we mean nothing to them at all. Views, thoughts......

invara wrote: »
    I could not really believe what the Taoiseach said in Waterford yesterday about the Mortuary, and in particular about the four consultants (some of whom I know). On the same day that Cork Airport gets a €40m splurge from the EIB he came empty-handed to the city he promised would not be forgotten on his watch. The litany of broken promises (university, airport, 24/7 being the big three), and the hundreds of tiny decisions that go against this region are well documented.
    There was plenty of uncomfortable local FG folk doughnuting the picture, Maurice Cummins resignation from FG Waterford chair this week.... one has to wonder on the how, why, what of FG's bizarre approach to Waterford. This constituency has always had a strong FG element, and now when FG are in power we mean nothing to them at all. Views, thoughts......

well the university issue is internal really. at the end of the day it's up to WIT and Carlow to lodge the application. we won't be getting our own stand alone university as the infrastructure is simply not there.

the airport is similar. we can't just keep throwing money at stuff just for the sake of parish pump politics. the airport needs to be able to show it can stand on its own 2 feet like any other business. i don't think the recent report reflected this and that's why there is a delay in its publication.

24/7 is coming, it's going to take time but i think it's coming. people still fail to remember John Halligan brought one of the consultants into the government negotiations with him yet Halligan has never attributed any blame towards that consultant. anyone whoever thought 24/7 would be delivered with a click of your fingers is a bigger fool than the local FF reps who brought Bertie to town yesterday.

Talking about 24/7 and Matt Shanahan, can anyone tell me what Matt has done in the short few months since he has been drafted onto the council? 24/7 is not a local government issue. it can be supported at local government. i'm wondering what is his purpose of sitting on the council now and going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

Did anybody quiz Leo about the North Quays, Airport or 24/7 Cardiac Care today?

Here's a link to Darren Skelton's interview with Leo:

https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/1123314808454037504?s=20

He asked him about the cath lab, mortuary and the north quays.

Gardner-

The university is not internal. FG promised a university in 2008-2011 and ditched in in Govt. TU Dublin got a 1bn campus in 2011, every other university is getting 200-300m from the EIB in the past few years. If WIT and Carlow merge without significant additional funding (like the other cities get from central govt and the EIB) they will do so by damaging their existing students. Leo is being very unfair when he says get on with it...

Airport- the money is elsewhere, things can be done elsewhere but not here. It is other parishes that are the problem. Cork cannot stand on its own too feet and is unlikely ever to- airports are civic infrastructure that support economic, cultural and social development.

24/7 is coming- at a glacial pace.... things move quickly when FG wants them

FG is simply bizarre in this constituency..... this community backed them in the dark long days for the party and these faithful grassroots folk appear to be being treated like dirt.

Gardner-

The university is not internal. FG promised a university in 2008-2011 and ditched in in Govt. TU Dublin got a 1bn campus in 2011, every other university is getting 200-300m from the EIB in the past few years. If WIT and Carlow merge without significant additional funding (like the other cities get from central govt and the EIB) they will do so by damaging their existing students. Leo is being very unfair when he says get on with it...

Airport- the money is elsewhere, things can be done elsewhere but not here. It is other parishes that are the problem. Cork cannot stand on its own too feet and is unlikely ever to- airports are civic infrastructure that support economic, cultural and social development.

24/7 is coming- at a glacial pace.... things move quickly when FG wants them

FG is simply bizarre in this constituency..... this community backed them in the dark long days for the party and these faithful grassroots folk appear to be being treated like dirt.

i get what your saying but for the first time in my life i do actually agree with Leo. we need to get on with it. how will an South East University damage existing students :confused:

DAA paid a dividend today of 40m to the state for both Cork and Dublin Airport. They must be doing something right.

FG/FF are dirt and always will be i agree

how will an South East University damage existing students
    ....... a merger will cost money, and distract existing resources - money time and management from the core business of looking after students and growing the student experience. DIT's merger is costing €18m (funded by govt) and they are getting a €1bn capital investment. So far about 1-2m has been spent on the SE merger (also from central funds) but no more is promised. It has already dragged momentum from the core management of both institutions. Beyond that, there is the huge reputational risk that expectations will rise but the student experience and resourcing will not... without university resources it will look like a con job.

how will an South East University damage existing students
    ....... a merger will cost money, and distract existing resources - money time and management from the core business of looking after students and growing the student experience. DIT's merger is costing €18m (funded by govt) and they are getting a €1bn capital investment. So far about 1-2m has been spent on the SE merger (also from central funds) but no more is promised. It has already dragged momentum from the core management of both institutions. Beyond that, there is the huge reputational risk that expectations will rise but the student experience and resourcing will not... without university resources it will look like a con job.

i don't really discredit what your saying but you are stating a lot of ifs and buts. we all don't have a crystal ball. i believe the 1-2 million has been spent but no further tranche of money has been applied for. why? why can't they accept the south east university is the only game in town and drive on with it? do we stay as an institute of technology and be left behind?

• Advertisement
Advertisement