Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You what makes it weird is that normally the storms happen when it’s dark and it’s still bright out which is weird. Also, there is no blue skies here but the clouds are this weird blue/grey color. Very strange

Darwin - Bright

Ophelia - Bright

Emma - Bright

Ali - Bright

Hannah - Bright

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

10,000 without power in Cork/Kerry according to rte news
    Not a yellow apparently yet 10,000 without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Jaysus there is hardly a puff of wind in Galway now.

It's on the way snow garden. Finding it hard to stand in one spot now out side my house and I'm only out the coast from ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

Winds are getting more spasmodic here in Ballincollig, for lack of a better word. Air Pressure climbing again, up to 994mb. Clouds are coming straight from westerly directions. I'd say the shift to NW should start shortly here.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

jackboy wrote: »
    Strong winds just starting west Clare.

Agree with that statement, Spanish Point area getting a hammering now. WNW unusual for this part of the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

RTE

It is expected that as the storm continues to track across the country, further outages can be expected.[/I]

This is getting serious!! ......

The football is on and it only half time ;)

Hope everyone stays safe tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Raining now in my part of Cork City, just got hit with a few more strong gusts. Looks to be starting to change direction a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

DIF wrote: »
    Don't think the pilot of Are Lingus flight EI723 would agree with ya..... after 4 attempts diverted to Dublin. :eek:

478778.png

That’s what happens when you build an airport on top of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Not so much as a breeze in mid Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Very windy in Limerick now

Tree down on Childers Road near Dunnes Stores.

• Advertisement

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

can clearly see the system there, the rain swirling around the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

8.30 pm Shannon gusting 60 knots

And yet there is a Ryanair flight coming into land!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not a yellow apparently yet 10,000 without power.

The numbers without power are meaningless. Its the wind speeds that matter and so far, no where on land has experienced more than mid level yellow warning wind strengths. That may change but considering that Co kerry's red warning window has passed, it is unlikely winds are going to increase significantly in other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jackrussel wrote: »
    That’s what happens when you build an airport on top of a hill.
    A fog bound hill at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some fun trivia for Valentia Observatory. The 10-minute mean wind speed for the station at 6 p.m. was 42 knots whilst the highest 10-minute mean wind speed for April at the same station back to 1961 was 38 knots showing the unusual severity of Hannah at this time of year.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1121864618031423489

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's funny how reporting the facts in a particular area can be interpreted as wind ups.
    There might be 10,000 without power but it's very localised to the extreme southwest.
    Cork city as a whole is quite okay with just standard winds. Yes the airport is suffering but it always gets hit hard from a direct westerly

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Wind seems to have completely dropped off in cork despite warnings being valid for another 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lots of damage in West Clare, several long standing trees broken too! One of the most powerful storms Ive seen for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's funny how reporting the facts in a particular area can be interpreted as wind ups.
    There might be 10,000 without power but it's very localised to the extreme southwest.
    Cork city as a whole is quite okay with just standard winds. Yes the airport is suffering but it always gets hit hard from a direct westerly

To be fair to Met Eireann they always said it was the south west coast of cork Kerry and then Clare would be worst hit. Cork city was never in any extreme danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Very wild in West limerick the last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Touching hurricane speed (64kt) at Fastnet with 143km/h gust. Decreased slightly since.

Note this site is 60m ASL and out to sea.

https://twitter.com/FastnetLHouse/status/1121841208098205696

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The usual numpties on Facebook. People with mobile homes in Carne were asked to check them for loose outdoor furniture and to take down awnings. Some of the replies are priceless. "Ah sure, it's just a yellow warning".
    Wait until the awnings and plastic chairs are smashed through windows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Wind seems to have completely dropped off in cork despite warnings being valid for another 4 hours.

A number of the weather models I saw shows a period of calm before winds reach their peak towards 10-11 PM, that could be it.

That being said, it doesn't feel very calm here in Ballincollig...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Met Aaron today -he was bleating on about some storm. I think it was probably a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

What about a brown alert, when ya fill your cacks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lots of damage in West Clare, several long standing trees broken too! One of the most powerful storms Ive seen for a while
    We don't forget Darwin February 2014....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The numbers without power are meaningless. Its the wind speeds that matter and so far, no where on land has experienced more than mid level yellow warning wind strengths. That may change but considering that Co kerry's red warning window has passed, it is unlikely winds are going to increase significantly in other parts.

I think the lack of stations between Valentia and Mace Head might be the issue there.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1121866152223870977?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

In Cork City it's basically at standard winter Atlantic storm levels. It's also begun to rain since just before 9:00pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just had a severe gust now.
    There's time yet maybe for Hannah to bite back

Advertisement