Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't think money comes into it for any decision Tiger makes... why would it?
    1m appearance... great now i have 741 million instead of just a measly 740 million.

Are you kidding me? Why do you think Tiger flew half way round the world with a broken back to play in Abu Dhabi two years ago when he could have played the same weekend in a pga event down the road . Appearance money of course . Made no sense from a health point of view . I think he pulled out after 18 holes of that event .
    Money matters to these guys . Doesn’t matter how much is in the bank , they ain’t turning up playing for scraps

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Yes but both Bethpage and Pebble Beach are much changed courses now from what they were when Tiger won the two major titles there in the early 2000s.

Out if interest what has changed in Pebble?

Trump is giving him a medal.

The comeback is now truely complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

jj72 wrote: »
    Out if interest what has changed in Pebble?
    It was lengthened for the 2010 US Open. The one that Graeme McDowell won. Not sure what length it was before, but the new length is 7040 yards. It also reduced to par 71 for the championship course and new bunkers were added.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

glasso wrote: »
    Trump is giving him a medal.

The comeback is now truely complete.
    Knowing Trump, he'll challenge him to a game for the medal and cheat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It was lengthened for the 2010 US Open. The one that Graeme McDowell won. Not sure what length it was before, but the new length is 7040 yards. It also reduced to par 71 for the championship course and new bunkers were added.

It was 6846 back then and also par 71 so really adding 200 yards is not a massive change. He may well have a chance there as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Well, I've never been a fan of his, and probably never will be, not a hater at all, I don't care either way about his off course issues, just never supported him from day 1. You couldn't help but be warmed by the way Sunday panned out at the end, even if I did have Molinari backed :eek:. I'm delighted he's healthy and seemingly pain free now, and hopefully his life is in a good place finally. Still won't support him on the golf course though ! (well, maybe if he was playing against Hatton or Wallace :))

I'm not sure with, the way the back nine on Sunday went, if it was a kind of unique scenario and the chips fell the way they fell (that's not to take from the win at all), or if the current generation were doing a passable impression of Vijay, Phil, Ernie, Sergio et al from 10/12 years ago ! I don't think Koepka or DJ really folded as such. Koepka's water ball on 12th was sort of before Tiger was really in the thick of things, and DJ was never really in the hunt til mid way through the back nine anyway. I guess, for me, the jury is slightly out on whether the "Tiger effect" is really true for this generation. Hopefully not and we see some good head to heads.

I would imagine it is more likely Tiger will be in Ireland sometime the week before The Open playing some links courses and preparing for the following week.

At least that is what he has done a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

I would imagine it is more likely Tiger will be in Ireland sometime the week before The Open playing some links courses and preparing for the following week.

He did that only one year I believe where he played Waterville , Ballybunion and maybe lahinch.so I wouldn’t count on it . Many will play the Scottish links this year in prep I’d say , it’s probably closer ., chopper across for the main event

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Exactly wrote: »

I have heard from a very reliable source* he will be playing the Wednesday Open at Corballis the week before the open :D

*source unknown :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Played the European club the week before the Open one year. Him, O'Meara and McCarron. I think there was a fourth member of the group (possibly Harrington), but not sure.
    He broke the course record anyway. His card is on the wall in the clubhouse (67 iirc).

rooney30 wrote: »
    He did that only one year I believe where he played Waterville , Ballybunion and maybe lahinch.so I wouldn’t count on it . Many will play the Scottish links this year in prep I’d say , it’s probably closer ., chopper across for the main event

He has been here a lot more than once. A regular visitor to Portmarnock over the years. All very hush hush though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Exactly wrote:
    He has been here a lot more than once. A regular visitor to Portmarnock over the years. All very hush hush though.

Royal Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

lowelife wrote: »
    I have heard from a very reliable source* he will be playing the Wednesday Open at Corballis the week before the open :D

*source unknown :rolleyes:

In all seriousness it wouldn't surprise me if he played next door at The Island. Having played The Island and Royal Portrush there are a lot of parallels between the two. They both have similar terrain whereby they are not flat and are not in crazy dunes a-la Carne either. Neither are hard by the sea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Played the European club the week before the Open one year. Him, O'Meara and McCarron. I think there was a fourth member of the group (possibly Harrington), but not sure.
    He broke the course record anyway. His card is on the wall in the clubhouse (67 iirc).

interesting
    a spot has just opened up this Saturday at the Boards Society outing in The European. I wonder would he be interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »
    would he be interested

I'll check on twitter (didn't mention seve is playing)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    It's in the tiger book released last year his wife was in charge of the funeral arrangements, it was kind of seen as revenge for his infidelity.
    So even in death Earl is not forgiven . Hell hath no fury._

That's disgraceful tbh.

Tiger would want to grow a pair and get his Dad a headstone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ronnoco13 wrote:
    It's in the tiger book released last year his wife was in charge of the funeral arrangements, it was kind of seen as revenge for his infidelity.

Wasn't he a bigamist too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So even in death Earl is not forgiven . Hell hath no fury._

That's disgraceful tbh.

Tiger would want to grow a pair and get his Dad a headstone.
    I read the book and don't recall his wife being the reason why!

According to authors Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian, on May 4, 2006, just a day after Earl’s demise, a woman alerted the cemetery of his impending burial. When Mohler requested for the name of the deceased, she hesitated until a male voice from the background told her,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger just won his 15th major in one of the most iconic sporting comebacks in the history of golf..... and the discussion on here is about his father's grave. Welcome to the golf forum.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    I read the book and don't recall his wife being the reason why!

According to authors Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian, on May 4, 2006, just a day after Earl’s demise, a woman alerted the cemetery of his impending burial. When Mohler requested for the name of the deceased, she hesitated until a male voice from the background told her,

Yeah I remember that in foreword but I think the chapter on his death there was a quote from one of earls daughters kultida made burial an funeral arrangements. Followed later in chapter by quote from kultida saying she never forgives.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger just won his 15th major in one of the most iconic sporting comebacks in the history of golf..... and the discussion on here is about his father's grave. Welcome to the golf forum.

There is a great book out with this detail.

I can't see anything wrong with getting an insight into a person if you are seriously into the sport.

Yes, whilst it is completely irrelevant to golf. What makes a person tick at the highest level is an interesting aspect of elite sports people. So there is a link there -whilst tenuous

I’d actually find that more interesting than a thread on the latest driver or ball that claims to be better than the last latest driver or ball.

From a forum perspective – I don’t think it is a good idea to lump everything into the one thread.

There was a thread on the Tiger Woods major chase.
    There was a thread that spoke about that book.
    There was a thread that talked about Tigers past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

First Up wrote: »
    Royal Dublin too.

He played Old Head a week before the Open back in the day too with O'Meara, Stewart, Duval and Appleby. There's a famous second name for the 12th down there that he christened that trip which is now known as the "Holy Sh!t"

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)][font=-apple-system, system-ui, system-ui, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", "Fira Sans", Ubuntu, Oxygen, "Oxygen Sans", Cantarell, "Droid Sans", "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Lucida Grande", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I really wanted to make a short video that would (hopefully) do justice to show just how incredible and exciting Tiger Woods comeback for the ages really was! Hope you like. (2mins Long)[/font][/color]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBG0PhUaPg&t=10s

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

I really wanted to make a short video that would (hopefully) do justice to show just how incredible and exciting Tiger Woods comeback for the ages really was! Hope you like. (2mins Long)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBG0PhUaPg

• Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv watched the highlights of the recent Masters win again , still brings a tear to my eye.

I think I would never get bored from watching that Masters tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

iancairns wrote: »
    I really wanted to make a short video that would (hopefully) do justice to show just how incredible and exciting Tiger Woods comeback for the ages really was! Hope you like. (2mins Long)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBG0PhUaPg

That’s magnificent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

iancairns wrote: »

That's really good, well done. Try and send it to some golf related social media channels.. I'm sure they would love to share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Kimmage having a pop at Tiger! I really dislike this hack!
    https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1120024830559051776?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Anyone recommend any of the books written about tiger?

Advertisement