Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity placed outside house by neighbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I came home about two weeks ago and down the end of the the road (it is the road backing onto mine but I can see it from afar) I heard shouting and roaring. There are 2 basketball hoops on the main road. Turned out one of the hoops was in front of a neighbours house and he was sick of the thump thump all weekend as well as the ball hitting his new car and new front door. Well he really just snapped. I am a good bit away and I could hear him.im not sure if he was shouting at the teenagers or a parent. But he was at his wits end. Sounded like it could end in fisticuffs.

These things on the access road have to be an insurance issue and a compo claim waiting to happen.

I’d lose the plot if it was put outside my house. It’d not stay there long. Don’t care what sort of crank they said I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

bladespin wrote: »
    Kids playing is just that, portraying it as antisocial behavior is bonkers.

Any behaviour which causes another harm or distress can be classed as anti-social behaviour. The OP has mentioned that his wife is very distressed over this.

South Dublin County Council categorises noise disturbance as anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

AulWan wrote:
    Any behaviour which causes another harm or distress can be classed as anti-social behaviour. The OP has mentioned that his wife is very distressed over this.

AulWan wrote:
    South Dublin County Council categorises noise disturbance as anti-social behaviour.

I could put lawn mowing or home improvements in there too but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

@Caranica

Who pays the insurance at the moment?

Management fees, we're a managed development. Insurance is at least 25% of our annual budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Actually, the road outside our house is often full of kids playing headeds and vollies over the cables that cross the street, doesn't bother me, I did it myself as a kid. No horses or quads here.

No horses or quads here either but thankfully sensible respectful parents mostly . They would know how annoying a thumping noise is I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I could put lawn mowing or home improvements in there too but I don't.

Lawn mowing or home improvements don't usually go on for prolonged hours every day.

In an effort to be seen as trying to come to a compromise, I would make one final attempt to talk with the owner of the hoop.

I would suggest that the hoop go out no earlier then 12 noon and be taken back in no later then 6pm, with Sunday as a day off. That should give his kids adequate time to practice, and will prevent other kids and teenagers from congregating and hanging around outside the OPs house late into the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

The worst of this is the OP has stated these neighbors fell out with their neighbours to teh other side over privacy issues due to kids playing right outside their house

But yet it's ok for them do the same to teh OP, says a lot about them

OP any mates with an old banger? It would be a right shame if they accidentally reversed into the stand part of the hoop and mangled it and even worse again if they were such terrible drivers they managed to hit any new stand the neighbors replaced it with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yes, and I would expect the majority of residents are happy to see the children of the estate being able to play outside.

Translation: "I'm alright, Jack."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

AulWan wrote: »
    Lawn mowing or home improvements don't usually go on for prolonged hours every day.

In an effort to be seen as trying to come to a compromise, I would make one final attempt to talk with the owner of the hoop.

I would suggest that the hoop go out no earlier then 12 noon and be taken back in no later then 6pm, with Sunday as a day off. That should give his kids adequate time to practice, and will prevent other kids and teenagers from congregating and hanging around outside the OPs house late into the evening.

There’s no way I’d entertain a basketball hoop outside my house from 12-6 sux days a week. In fact, I’d not entertain it outside my own house at all. If kids start kicking balls on the road outside my house, I tell them to “go on and play on the green”

The goalpost was angled on the green outside my house but a good bit away. When the kids kept kicking for goal from a certain angle, it kept coming into my garden and hitting the car. after one fairly bad whack off the car, I knocked onto the parents who bought the goalpost and said Id be getting the car checked out and I’d letting them know if there was any damage to the car.. Goalpost was gone within an hour down to their end of the green. it’s stayed away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lol, are you seriously comparing a bunch of kids playing basketball to that???? Wow.
    Kids playing is just that, portraying it as antisocial behavior is bonkers.
    Take the game away and I wonder what they would resort to to entertain themselves, I'd considet a hoop a pretyy good compromise.

What's wrong with my kids having horses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

anewme wrote: »
    There’s no way I’d entertain a basketball hoop outside my house from 12-6 sux days a week. In fact, I’d not entertain it outside my own house at all. If kids start kicking balls on the road outside my house, I tell them to “go on and play on the green”

The goalpost was angled on the green outside my house but a good bit away. When the kids kept kicking for goal from a certain angle, it kept coming into my garden and hitting the car. after one fairly bad whack off the car, I knocked onto the parents who bought the goalpost and said Id be getting the car checked out and I’d letting them know if there was any damage to the car.. Goalpost was gone within an hour down to their end of the green. it’s stayed away too.

Might be worth a shot OP

If they're that inconsiderate. Park outside house. Ball hits car. Straight in to hoop owner with warning that any bill is coming their way.

I reckon they'll be bored of b ball soon and onto football on the green. Grass was wet till today. When's Wimbledon? I reckon outside yours may be the tennis court in June.

Pkiernan wrote:
    What's wrong with my kids having horses?

Absolutely nothing, mine have motorbikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

Del2005 wrote: »
    Inform your neighbour of the amount they'll have to pay out if anyone even scratches themselves on it. There's a reason why play grounds are extremely rare in private estates. That way you are not the annoying neighbour complaining about the basketball net but the helpful neighbour keeping them safe from the solicitors.
    We had it for nigh on 5/6 years,cul de sac,8 foot wall ,ball constantly going off the wall ,in our garden ,off the car etc etc,noise was horrendous ,then when they weren't kicking ball etc, hanging around ( up to )from 10/15 years old, mother diagonally across from us didn't give a ****,it's a cluid housing association small estate 24 houses- last 2 housing officers were useless,latest one v pro active,wrote to each tenant,put up signs no ball playing/ congregation ,sounds draconian but honest it was awfullllll,her youngest best has now flown the nest as in out on the street with another few ,stones have started etc, trying to move,reason I ended up here is a divorce,and as I've my smallie since he was 2/ half we were lucky to get somewhere, originally from a normal area bishoptown,where kids behave in general,drug parties are rare and parents are responsible,this particular neighbour is from another sinkhole ,so began with her years ago
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Anyone who is saying its just kids let them play have not experienced the THUMP THUMP THUMP of a basketball for hours on end . It is a head wrecker and I would definitely have words with the neigbour who thinks thats ok

How likely is hours on end though? They are in school most of the time (no surprise this has come up during easter break). And yes, in summer it could be more but, as the OP said himself, there were football posts put in the green and they grew tired of them after a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up with the hoop gone and some of the kids chatting outside the house every evening aimlessly bouncing a basketball over and over and over because they know why it was removed. Now, that would be head wrecking.
    It was hours on end in the summer, evenings,and all weekends,,,I'm a granda of 12have a grown up family also,so I'm not a grumpy old bastard,but seriously it was hell,make matters worse there's a green 20/30 metres away and they dont use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

OP, you have my sympathies. Something like that very quickly becomes soul destroying. It might be worth having a word with the council. I presume nothing is supposed to sit in a turning circle, be it a car, or a basketball yoke.

I noticed here, for a while, a similar set up, not particularly near, but if I was outside the front of the house, i would hear the thud thud thud, and a basketball hoop had been set up where there is a dead end, in the estate.

It didn't last very long, I have no idea what happened, but I used to wonder how the occupants of the houses near it put up with it.

I hope you can get it resolved. The fact that the parents complained about other neighbours, while seeing nothing wrong with this set up doesn't bode well, IMO.
    'Do as I say and not as I do'...

How likely is hours on end though? They are in school most of the time (no surprise this has come up during easter break). And yes, in summer it could be more but, as the OP said himself, there were football posts put in the green and they grew tired of them after a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up with the hoop gone and some of the kids chatting outside the house every evening aimlessly bouncing a basketball over and over and over because they know why it was removed. Now, that would be head wrecking.

I've had and have the football and basketball situations as I live VERY close to the road in a cul-de-sac on an estate.
    I've had games of football going on for 6 hours with little break in that time. I'm not talking real games of football mind, just pouding a ball against a wall as hard as they can and screaming. For. hours.
    That group of lads have grown up now and thankfully have moved on to other interests but it went on for 3 years or so. Had to go out to them at all hours too. By and large they were and are nice lads but just inconsiderate teens being thick and inconsiderate of their neighbours.

Had the same situation as the OP for a while - so I sympathize.
    I live in a cul-de-sac. I don't have a driveway so the front of my house opens onto a public path and then theres the road.
    A family across the road from us were gifted a basktetball hoop. Their kids used it for a couple of days then forgot about it mostly.
    Then lads from other parts of the estate started using it. The noise is unreal. Its genuinely like someone banging a drum outside your home.
    Any reasonable person expects a certain level of noise outside their home on ocassion when they live in and estate - as I type this I can hear kids outside running and shouting in the distance, and more power to em - but having the front of your home turned into the local basketball court for all the local kids - thats not on.

I think part of the anxiety around these things (for me anyway) is you dont know if this game will go on 30 minutes or for 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Diceicle wrote: »
    Had the same situation as the OP for a while - so I sympathize.
    I live in a cul-de-sac. I done have a driveway so the front of my house opens onto a public path and then theres the road.
    A family across the road from us were gifted a basktetball hoop. Their kids used it for a couple of days then forgot about it mostly.
    Then lads from other parts of the estate started using it. The noise is unreal. Its genuinely like someone banging a drum outside your home.
    Any reasonable person expects a certain level of noise outside their home on ocassion when they live in and estate - as I type this I can hear kids outside running and shouting in the distance, and more power to em - but having the front of your home turned into the local basketball court for all the local kids - thats not on.

I think part of the anxiety around these things (for me anyway) is you dont know if this game will go on 30 minutes or for 4 hours.

Very well put, I moved into a estate years ago after living in a rural area for twenty plus years. I originally couldn't believe the noise levels that was considered normal, I often let a shout at screaming children outside my door. As for some posters comparing lawn cutting in a estate to a day long basketball game outside the front door...... get real

seanl77 wrote:
    As for some posters comparing lawn cutting in a estate to a day long basketball game outside the front door...... get real

Try holding a conference call while your neighbour decides to run over their lawn for the third time straight, everyone has their own definition of annoying.
    Personally I didn't get bent out of shape over a couple of hours of noise during the day, we all have our stuff to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Try holding a conference call while your neighbour decides to run over their lawn for the third time straight, everyone has their own definition of annoying.
    Personally I didn't get bent out of shape over a couple of hours of noise during the day, we all have our stuff to do.

Must be some serious grass growth.... or maybe that didn't really happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I was sitting in the sun having a beer while both kids napped.

Had a 30min window.

Jimmy next door starts a fecking chainsaw.

I live in the middle of nowhere and I still got done!!

Generally though I'd hate to put up with this type of thing in an estate

• Advertisement

seanl77 wrote:
    Must be some serious grass growth.... or maybe that didn't really happen.

Sure does, every year, for the past 17 years, first cut, he likes to drop the mower a step at a time, even advised me to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How about a picture of the offending hoop,say takin from your front door.
    Looking at your map it doesn't really look to be close at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I can understand the OP to a certain extent. But, if you are successful in any way, to get the basketball hoop removed, you will always be remembered as the old crank, who took the fun away in the estate and might be targeted by the kids who loved to play basketball, which could be even more annoying.
    A better option would be, to incentivise the kids away from the basketball hoop, to play in another part of the estate. Did they play football before the basketball hoop appeared, then you could consider putting up two goals at the green. Or you could get them two better basketball hoops and place them in another part of the estate.

mdebets wrote: »
    I can understand the OP to a certain extent. But, if you are successful in any way, to get the basketball hoop removed, you will always be remembered as the old crank, who took the fun away in the estate and might be targeted by the kids who loved to play basketball, which could be even more annoying.
    A better option would be, to incentivise the kids away from the basketball hoop, to play in another part of the estate. Did they play football before the basketball hoop appeared, then you could consider putting up two goals at the green. Or you could get them two better basketball hoops and place them in another part of the estate.

I think its genuinely impossible to appreciate the impact and stress this type of nuisance noise can have on a person.
    My situations is definitely improved but still, after getting home from a long day, and a long week, with kids already at the estate end wall pounding the ball as hard as they can. I get home at 5. They'll be there til 8 (maybe 9).
    When the older ones used to play it was louder. They were also more vocal.
    GOOOOOAAAAAL.

FINISH IIIIIT!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOH.

Imagine someone standing in your front garden and yelling these phrases at the top of their lungs, while sporadically banging a drum. for. four. hours...... thats what its like.

With my basketball hoop sitation that I outlined above, Mother nature took care of that.
    The hoop was never brought in. In the storms the last few months it repeatedly blew down, eventually cracking the board, busting the hoop and warping the base. When it blew over recently it was on its face for a long time. Someone took the bolts that were holding up the board.

Then someone else removed the board altogether. Right now I've got a 8ft black pole dumped near my home and no one is taking ownership of it.

Just remembered this was actually the 2nd such hoop that was abondoned in my part of the estate. Think someone ran over the 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

What about an ultrasonic noise device mounted outside your house, if anyone complains tell them about the "rodent problem" you're trying to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

What about an ultrasonic noise device mounted outside your house, if anyone complains tell them about the "rodent problem" you're trying to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

What you do is stay in your night attire .dont brush your hair.run out the front door grap the basket ball drive a big knife into it and tell them all to fcuk off.you will have a nice quite summer after that....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Don't do this as you could be liable for anything that happens if a goal posts falls on anyone. You also don't own the common areas and thus have no right to put anything on them.

Even if there is a residents' association collecting a few bob to pay for the cutting of the grass they may not have a final say on what gets put on the green areas. Who actually owns the common areas?

In some cases the council takes over an estate but I'd imagine it has to be a finished estate. Do the council actually take ownership of the green areas or just the road in or just the lighting.
    I hear a lot of people during snow events say that the council is not responsible for clearing snow so that implies they don't own the road.

You would wonder why people pay a property tax when the council don't cover these basic functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I can understand the OP to a certain extent. But, if you are successful in any way, to get the basketball hoop removed, you will always be remembered as the old crank, who took the fun away in the estate.

Who cares, seriously who cares if they are known as an old crank, by neighbours who probably don't speak much to him anyway. It's better than being tormented by noise for potentially years on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

moved to an estate a year ago: it would defo bother me.

for insurance purposes ... does OP have a CCTV camera installed ?

Advertisement