Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless road - it actually works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

From

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristoff-changes-bike-position-and-sticks-with-tubeless-for-paris-roubaix/

--

Aside from the positional changes for Paris-Roubaix, Kristoff drew attention in previous weeks by winning Gent-Wevelgem and finishing third at the Tour of Flanders using tubeless tyres.

Kristoff is sticking with the Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 25mm tubeless tyres he has used in previous races, used in conjunction with Campagnolo Bora WTO tubeless-ready wheels, which were released last year and recently updated with a 45mm option.

"I've actually raced on tubeless all year, and have a good feeling on them. I also won Gent-Wevelgem and was third at Flanders on tubeless," Kristoff added.

"For me, they just feel better. I don't really know what the main difference is, but they roll well, and on the cobbles they don't feel bad at all – they feel comfortable. I did some tests this winter on tubulars, and I didn't feel any better, if I remember correctly.

“They're 25mm tyres, but they actually measure a little wider – around 26mm. But I'm keeping my tyre pressures a secret," he said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have been toying with running my Fulcrum Racing 5 DB’s tubeless for a few months but after reading this entire thread (again) I can see absolutely no advantages over my current latex tubes. I run 70/65psi (R/F) on 25mm Michelin Lithion 2’s and have had no punctures in 12 months and the bike has been on some horrendous road surfaces in that time. The tyres have no cuts or tears despite the awful roads I’ve been on and two new tyres are only €35.

Tubeless is messy to set up, latex tubes aren’t.
    Tubeless requires the sealant topping up every few months.
    I’d have to fit rim tape to my wheels which don’t require rim tape for use with tubes.
    I’m limited to a small choice of tyres.
    I’d still have to carry a tube in case of puncture and faff about removing the valve bung/seal before I could fit the tube.
    They don’t retain pressure long term and so is still have to check/inflate before every ride.
    I get 3 days without having to check/inflate with my latex tubes.

The biggest problem I would have with them is having to top up the sealant every so often.

I’ve ridden a bike with Aeolus 3 TL wheels and Conti GP5000’s tubeless set up and the ride was no better or worse than my own tyre/latex tube set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Tubeless is messy to set up, latex tubes aren’t.
    Tubeless requires the sealant topping up every few months.

The biggest problem I would have with them is having to top up the sealant every so often.

Topping up the sealant takes about 2mins. You wouldn’t necessarily need tubes in the event of a puncture, you could use a worm. A guy I know is riding tubeless for 18 months with no punctures. It’s swings and roundabouts, some like tubeless some don’t.

who_ru wrote: »
    Topping up the sealant takes about 2mins. You wouldn’t necessarily need tubes in the event of a puncture, you could use a worm. A guy I know is riding tubeless for 18 months with no punctures. It’s swings and roundabouts, some like tubeless some don’t.

I understand that but the fact that it has to be done would annoy me. It’s an ongoing cost to run tubeless and have sealant on hand. With tubes you buy them and that’s it. I’ve been using the same 2 latex tubes in my good bike for 3 years and the pair in my winter bike were fitted 12months ago. Zero punctures in that time.

Like you say it’s for some and not others. It’s not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are latex tubes less susceptible to pinch flats?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Are latex tubes less susceptible to pinch flats?

I don’t honestly know. I run mine at 70/65psi and I’m 76kg. I’ve never had a pinch flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Set up can be a bit of a pain but in my opinion the ride quality of tubeless is far superior then the Regular tire tube mix. I just put on a new set of Schwalbe pro one evolution and it feels super smooth, loads of grip too. It might just be my weight (100kgs) that makes the difference but im a convert.

For fitting I use a park tool track pump and they always seal first time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kristoff regrets 'big risk' after using tubeless tyres in Paris-Roubaix

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristoff-regrets-big-risk-after-using-tubeless-tyres-in-paris-roubaix/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristoff-regrets-big-risk-after-using-tubeless-tyres-in-paris-roubaix/

I’m going to use this as my reason for sticking with clinchers and latex tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I’m going to use this as my reason for sticking with clinchers and latex tubes.

or you could use it as a reason to run more than 25 on cobbles if you are running low pressure-Sagan was using 30mm, Kristoff 25

• Advertisement

It would have been useful to have some detail in that article. 3 punctures but why did he stop ? Completely flat ? Lost too much pressure for racing ? Didn't have sealant in them ? Sidewall tear ? Etc

Anyone want to send a tweet to him asking for a detailed response here on this brilliant thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Maybe this has been addressed but how difficult is it to take off a tubeless tyre, specifically a Magic UST from a Mavic wheel.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Autocorrect strikes again.

I'm guessing you mean Mavic rather then magic.
    I have no experience with Mavic Wheels or tyres, but last year, I had to cut a Schwalbe tyre off a Prime rim. It was the only way, that I could get it off.

Not what I wanted to hear. I've a new set of Mavics on the way, think I'll get rid of the tubeless tyres and put some clinchers on.

So if you get a puncture that doesn't seal, the chances of taking off the tubeless tyre, fitting a tube, re-installing the tubeless tyre...well it doesn't bear thinking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Maybe this has been addressed but how difficult is it to take off a tubeless tyre, specifically a Magic UST from a Mavic wheel.

Thanks,

Was with a clubmate on a spin yesterday and he punctured the tube that he had previously fitted to a Mavic wheel/tubeless tyre combination. Took us about 10 minutes and five tyre levers to get the tyre off and another 10 minutes to get it back on after replacing the tube. He says it's only his second puncture in about 6,000 km (he fitted the tube after the first) but the tyre was quite worn and has since been binned.

I had been following this thread and weighing up the pros and cons of going tubeless but those 25mins in the cold yesterday have convinced me to stay "tubed".

Schwalbe pro ones come of and go on my carbon rims easy. I've had way more difficulty with some tubed combos in the past.

It all depends on the tubeless combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Am I correct in thinking that tubeless can also run flat should the need arise?

I'm not talking all day, but enough to get you out of bother?

Could be rubbish, but for some reason I have that in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that tubeless can also run flat should the need arise?

I'm not talking all day, but enough to get you out of bother?

Could be rubbish, but for some reason I have that in my head.

I never heard that.
    Tubular tyres would be more capable of carrying on, than either tubed or tubeless tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Not what I wanted to hear. I've a new set of Mavics on the way, think I'll get rid of the tubeless tyres and put some clinchers on.

So if you get a puncture that doesn't seal, the chances of taking off the tubeless tyre, fitting a tube, re-installing the tubeless tyre...well it doesn't bear thinking about...

The Mavic man makes it easy,

https://youtu.be/knlDf0GkPYM

I bought some mavic cosmic pros last month, all good so far, 70 psi tubeless

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gippo77

Still think I prefer tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

Mavic tubeless are easy to get on and off. Simple as could be.

G1032 wrote: »

Lets hope so, I like the idea of tubeless. I will carry a spare tube in case of a bad tear in the tyre.
    Any tips or tricks to help or is it as "easy" as a standard tyre/wheel combo.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Lets hope so, I like the idea of tubeless. I will carry a spare tube in case of a bad tear in the tyre.

Cheers,

I haven’t done many km on either of my bikes that are set up as tubeless yet. I think I got one puncture that sealed. However, there are reinforced tyre levers available for tubeless setups if you are concerned about getting the tyre off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

Cheers,

Well the tires that come with the Mavics are directional. The tire on the rear wheel I got was on the wrong way around. I was able to take the tire off we without levers and pop back on again really easily.
    I've not taken any tire off since.
    I do remember that the tire was kind of sealed to the rim (for want of a better description) and took a little effort to break that seal but once broken it was a doddle to get the tire off and on again.
    I've no experience of any other tubeless setup though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

thelawman wrote: »
    The Mavic man makes it easy,
    G1032 wrote: »

Certainly not our experience on Tuesday with a Yksion UST tyre on a Ksyrium UST rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gippo77

Oh dear... difficult and frustrating...?

Before putting sealant in, its probably a good idea with any new rim/tyre combination to practice putting it on and taking it off a couple of times. At least then you will have some idea what to expect on the road if the need ever arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

FWIW, the Schwalbe Pro Ones are easy to get on and off, in the event that you need to put in a tube. I do find they are fragile, though - they get cuts that struggle to heal.

brownian wrote: »
    FWIW, the Schwalbe Pro Ones are easy to get on and off, in the event that you need to put in a tube. I do find they are fragile, though - they get cuts that struggle to heal.

Interesting. I neglected to mention that I did puncture once on Pro Ones. It was a sidewall tear so I didn't even bother with a repair. This tyre wasn't that old so let Mantel know and they sent a replacement. I haven't had problems with the others I have/am used/using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Before putting sealant in, its probably a good idea with any new rim/tyre combination to practice putting it on and taking it off a couple of times. At least then you will have some idea what to expect on the road if the need ever arises.

Very true. It’s also worth noting that running a tube with a tubeless tyre/rim combo other than as a ‘get you home’ measure is combining the worst of both worlds and setting oneself up for trouble in the future.

Advertisement