Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I still find it very weird to see Odell with the Browns, going to be an exciting team to follow one way or another next season

Watched part of the press conference they had with Him, Baker and Landry talking about the move...weirdest thing I've seen in years.

They were all talking about where they were when they heard the news, their emotions etc...
    You'd swear this was a moment as significant as the moon landing or something.

They haven't played a single game yet and they're already treating this like it's the most significant thing that's ever happened in the history of the browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

BizzyC wrote: »
    Watched part of the press conference they had with Him, Baker and Landry talking about the move...weirdest thing I've seen in years.

They were all talking about where they were when they heard the news, their emotions etc...

They haven't played a single game yet and they're already treating this like it's the most significant thing that's ever happened in the history of the browns.

It is in the last 15 years to be fair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Probably just giving it the LeBron "decision" treatment. Used to that in Cleveland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

BizzyC wrote: »

To be fair to Beckham and Landry, they have been friends from kids, to college, and right up until now so of course they'd be emotional about this opportunity. For Mayfield's part, he just won the lottery as a QB, getting one of the very top WRs in the league, who hasn't even had an opportunity to show his full potential yet.

The Nike ad they put together is pretty good showing the connection between Beckham and Landry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html

tl;dr - McCarthy was inept, Rodgers is a prick. Tell us something we don't know, but still worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html

tl;dr - McCarthy was inept, Rodgers is a prick. Tell us something we don't know, but still worth a read.

its disappointing reading as a packers fan. Rodger's ego is going to be LeFluer's biggest challenge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

going to be in the states for the week leading up to the opening weekend.

dying for the fixtures to come out so i can book something :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Lawrence and Cowboys agree to 5 year deal worth up to $100 million

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Normally mid-April they're released? Planning on going Vancouver/Seattle late September so want to go on a Seahawks home game

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

L.S.F wrote: »
    Normally mid-April they're released? Planning on going Vancouver/Seattle late September so want to go on a Seahawks home game

Supposedly next Thursday would be the date based on the last two years. Can obviously change though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Yeah i read 18th April hoping to get to a Vikings game late sept/ early oct now that aerlingus fly direct

Hmmmm, being one of the most talented players of all time or being so nice that they could not find one person with a bad word to say about me after a decade in a team....which would I choose, which would I choose...

It's real non story stuff. Of the hundreds that have played with the Packers in that time, they found a handful who don't like all aspects of his personality. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Best guard in the league Marshal Yanda extends with the Ravens to end of 2020 season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

mikemac2 wrote:
    Best guard in the league Marshal Yanda extends with the Ravens to end of 2020 season

Zach Martin signed a new contact last year mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hmmmm, being one of the most talented players of all time or being so nice that they could not find one person with a bad word to say about me after a decade in a team....which would I choose, which would I choose...

It's real non story stuff. Of the hundreds that have played with the Packers in that time, they found a handful who don't like all aspects of his personality. Meh.

It is a story though, and a relevant one. It shows that the Packers lack of success is partly down to the poor leadership of Rodgers. There's not many other QBs in the league with teammates that have disliked them so strongly that they're prepared to smear them publicly.
    The only other QB that's been as publicly criticised is Big Ben. Wentz did have that article written about him earlier but that was from a very anti-Wentz journo apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No suspension for Reuben Foster. Bit bizarre that they're fining him but not suspending him

https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1116796375746871299

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Chris Hogan signs a 1yr deal with the Panthers.
    3yrs with the Pats, 3 SB appearances, 2 SB rings.

The Pats WR need further increased going into the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So I might be way, way late in finding this out, but 22 year old Nasir Adderley is related to 79 year old Hall of Famer and former Packer Herb Adderley...

...they're cousins

It is a story though, and a relevant one. It shows that the Packers lack of success is partly down to the poor leadership of Rodgers...

Not necessarily at all.

Ryan Grant says it was precisely the opposite, that it was his attitude that makes Rodgers great and drove him and the franchise.

And that's ultimately the problem with the entire story, none of it is even close to fact, it's all opinion. They've found a handful of players who didn't like Rodgers? It's not exactly the cutting edge of journalism. What next, some golfers don't like Johnson and here's a footballer who has issues with Ronaldo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not necessarily at all.

Ryan Grant says it was precisely the opposite, that it was his attitude that makes Rodgers great and drove him and the franchise.

And that's ultimately the problem with the entire story, none of it is even close to fact, it's all opinion. They've found a handful of players who didn't like Rodgers? It's not exactly the cutting edge of journalism. What next, some golfers don't like Johnson and here's a footballer who has issues with Ronaldo?

I don't know, when it's come to Rodgers there's been far too many reports on him being an asshole for it not to be at least partly true. You don't hear those stories about Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan etc. Even when all the sh1t was being thrown around the Seahawks there wasn't a bad word said about Wilson. The only other comparable situation is with Big Ben, and he doesn't exactly seem like a model teammate either.

And the issue here is that being QB is different to any other position in sport; leadership is far more important and Rodgers obviously lacks in that department. For as great as Ronaldo is, he'll never be as important a leader as any franchise QB, and solo sportsmen aren't a comparison whatsoever.
    And fwiw, I do quite like Rodgers. I hope he goes on to win at least 1 more ring so long as it doesn't come at the expense of the Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It probably hits Rodgers a bit, he took it personally enough to react to it.

There's some quotes from ex-players that give some insight, but there's also a lot of unnamed "sources" (which is always tough to believe or not). The piece itself is way too long, and contains lots of the commentators own ramblings rather than obtaining on the record sources. In many ways it has elements of Wickersham's waffling piece on Brady/Belichick and that it was all over (who then go and win a 6th ring), which had so many unnamed sources (or the writers own lies).

Take out the unnamed sources, take out the writers own lengthy examination of unnamed sources, and you have a few bits and pieces. Rodgers hasn't always been the best leader (might not be his thing), but he clearly hasn't aggravated every player (or the majority of players), so I'm not sure it's seriously hurt the team.

The piece itself got what the writer wanted, attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Russell Wilson 4y/$140m. $35m per year.

Highest paid player in the NFL.

letowski wrote: »
    Russell Wilson 4y/$140m. $35m per year.

Highest paid player in the NFL.

Worth it. The franchise would be nothing without him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Worth it. The franchise would be nothing without him tbh
    I agree he deserves the contract but disagree that the franchise would be nothing without him. Pete Carroll is a good coach, he'd find a way to keep it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Regular season schedule is to be released tomorrow night at 1am for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Regular season schedule is to be released tomorrow night at 1am for those interested.

Where would be the best place to get tickets sorted when the fixtures are released?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I agree he deserves the contract but disagree that the franchise would be nothing without him. Pete Carroll is a good coach, he'd find a way to keep it working.
    I don't think it would tbh, he does an awful lot for the team. Keeps drives going that should be well dead

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think it would tbh, he does an awful lot for the team. Keeps drives going that should be well dead
    You are underestimating Pete Carroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Too many variables to really say what would have happened if he left but over the last few years, with that shambolic OL, most other QBs outside of Wilson would have struggled enormously. Not sure how much blame of that we should put on Carroll, but they would have fallen apart if they didn't have Wilson.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are underestimating Pete Carroll.

Pete Carroll on the 2 yard line decided to throw instead of letting marshawn lynch fall over. I give Pete Carroll credit but he thinks he's smarter than everyone else

Advertisement