Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    An old favourite for today.

A Vostok Partner I picked up in Minsk in 2002. Love the submarine on the dial.

It is somewhat... eh, care worn.

That dial is lovely, any more close up pictures of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Another mwc quartz today

I really like the look and style of this watch.
    Any details, or tips on where to pick up similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Another mwc quartz today

Has a very vintage Panerai look IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That dial is lovely, any more close up pictures of it?

Close ups? I think I can make out individual skin cells on that image :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

Just landed. RIP my bonus.

8x2el5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cyrus wrote: »

Looked long at them also but given the increase in cost I couldn’t justify. Too tough a resell! I do think they are a nicer generation overall.

Got a good price on this one. Risk free purchase.

It’s a little small for my tastes but will give it a shot.

Cyrus wrote: »

Very tasty.

Speaking of nice chronos leaving Daytona’s in the shade...this a little bit nice.

https://www.adverts.ie/17671979

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

893bet wrote: »

http://i64.tinypic.com/8x2el5.jpg

Think we're gonna need about 10 pictures from different angles. Beautiful watch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going a tad hipster old stylee here... :D 1920's Longines Pocketwatch as issued to the Serbian Railways. Gave it a bit of a regulation tweak and over the last week it's gained just two seconds. That's in different positions too.

477683.jpg

55 mm across. Steel/nickel case. On the back it has an old steam engine engraving and the letters representing the rail network.

477684.jpg

A longines reissue wristwatch, the "Railroad" had the same engraving referencing the original. You can even get a new Longines pocketwatch that's pretty much exactly the same dial, with the choochoo on the back.

lng-1143-longines-railroad-pocket-watch-l7-039-4-21-2_3.jpg?v=1490343851

Movement.

477685.jpg

Behind two (very tight) covers a Longines calibre 21.54, 15 jewels. Big oul balance with a Breguet overcoil which really helps with accuracy. Regulator is near dab smack in the centre too, always a good sign of a healthy movement. Still mad accurate even today for a non chronometer spec movement.

Then again they were always at the top end of the chronometer trials of the 20th century, fighting it out with Zenith, Omega, Nardin and Movado and usually beating them by quite a margin(other brands barely got a look in with those top level companies). That influenced their workaday movements. Though oddly given their record and unlike near every other big brand they rarely produced retail watches and forward them for chronometer accreditation. Another difference with the brand was they rarely offered different grades of the same inhouse movements. It's vanishingly rare to see a very ornate factory finished Longines movement, or for that matter a lower grade movement(which they just didn't make), they just did the one grade the vast majority of the time. Even their chronometer movements are plain.

Price wise? Pocketwatches are usually much cheaper, except for mad complications ones or names like Patek. One of these railway ones, figure 2-300 quid tops for a half decently preserved example, maybe add another hundred odd quid for a really nice one with a sharp case and dial and clean movement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wow Wibbs. That is seriously gorgeous. I may be in lurve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Absolutely beautiful piece Wibbs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks guys. Like I say though, they're not mad money, nowhere near what a reissue new one would cost(3000 + grand, minus the history and dial quality) here's an example for just over two hundred quids. They were issued for a few decades and were an expensive item and a work tool so were generally well looked after. What stories some of them could tell. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I got this as a present a few years ago I doesn't get a huge amount of wrist time but it's nice for a change

477700.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I got this as a present a few years ago I doesn't get a huge amount of wrist time but it's nice for a change

Cool watch,I also collect coins so 2 interests in 1:D.
    Here is their site:https://www.irishpennywatch.com/pages/about-us-2/.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

It's nice for a change

I see what you did there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I've been looking at those this last while... Really beautiful. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Just a cheap watch I picked up because I liked the style.

477780.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Very nice brennus, an ebay find or a new buy?

Killing time in my mum's house in Tipperary. The OP 114300 is on a green nato from Bark & Jack. They're pretty damn good quality.

[Anyone want to guess the make/model of the gun?]

9057651F-C3FF-4BDC-83CF-74C9FDE3D2E3_zpswn30jxlj.jpg

4ADE000B-3312-4913-8DDE-82C7888D6759_zpsst97478c.jpg

Beretta?

No. Beretta only does scrolling like that at prices I most definitely cannot justify/afford !

Good guess though.

I could have done a bit better than the polka dot tablecloth background.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Beretta?

Stevens? (The only one I know).

Not a Stevens, although coincidentally I have one of those as well which is in being restored at the moment. It's worth bugger all so I hope the restoration also costs bugger all. They're fairly basic side-by-side ("farmers") guns, but functional with a big kick off them.

It's a Miroku MK38 grade 3 - the grade refers to the level of timber and scrolling from gr 1 to gr 5.
    Stevens? (The only one I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Browning....

Miroku MK38. Same family as Browning though.
    mad m wrote: »
    Browning....

From my previous oh so elegant pocketwatch to let's smoke funny cigarettes in the 1970's... :D

My French made LIP from 1975.

477892.jpg

The LIP company a well loved French brand that had been in on things like the first successful electronic watch movement, supporting the first Blancpain 50 fathoms and a few Breitling they sold through their distributor networks had fallen on hard times and looked to a few designers to go full modern. Roger Tallon was one, chap who had designed motorbikes, funky TV's, the TGV train and bits of the Eurotunnel and he came up with this(and in a chronograph). The quartz engined one is the rarest as it was an in house movement and expensive. The president of the French Republic in the 70's one Giscard d'Estaing wore one apparently and some French folks called them the Giscard.

OK, yeah, it's eye of the beholder alright. :D I bloody love it I have to say. A very different take on watch design and one that pushed the boat out. Made Swiss efforts from guys like Genta look like mock Tudor semidees(Genta dug these funny enough, probably liked that the Tallon lad was let be more free with design than he could be). Very well made and engineered solid lump of anodised alloy too. Decades before "designer watches" with it. And boy if you want to have people notice and often comment on a watch, then man oh man this is the boyo and no mistake. :D

*Oops, sorry EDIT* "Value" on these runs about the 500-600 quid mark, you might lucky at an auction at 3-400. Dealers charge more. Time was 50 or 100 quid would source one, if you could find on, but since more mainstream stuff has gone a bit daft in price, some have gotten into the more madcap/unusual/rare/early quartz so... Still, not too bad IMHO for something that is so madcap/unusual/rare.

This appears to be an early or even a preproduction example. It's the only one out there with the silver minute track on the outside. Has some oddball internal diffs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If one was given a brief of designing a watch to look like the 1970s that'd be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement