Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

OmegaGene wrote: »
    What the feck have I done :D
    I’ve tried the TAG Heuer connected in the past and it’s crap and I flipped it after 2 weeks, so this will do for a lot less
    Felt like a twat wearing the fit bit on one wrist and planet ocean on the other lol

I just wear the Fitbit wristband as it's a little less bulky.. it doesn't do as much though.. have you seen the sony wena bracelet which has some smart functions? It's pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I just wear the Fitbit wristband as it's a little less bulky.. it doesn't do as much though.. have you seen the sony wena bracelet which has some smart functions? It's pricey though

Looks good but it’s expensive like you say

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

Spent a morning experimenting with macro shots using a €3 add on lens to my phone (OnePlus 5T).
    Pleasantly surprised with some of the results.

IMG-20190501-154918.jpg

IMG-20190501-154502.jpg

IMG-20190501-154828.jpg

IMG-20190501-155037.jpg

IMG-20190501-155316.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Picked this up yesterday absolutely chuffed.

479249.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

That Sinn is a real beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Ionised wrote: »
    Spent a morning experimenting with macro shots using a €3 add on lens to my phone (OnePlus 5T).
    Pleasantly surprised with some of the results.

Nice shots, have you a link to the lens add on? Would be interested in picking up one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Many thanks to Deep thought for help getting this.
    I really like it, wears great for me, but i could see others having an issue with thickness.

Glad to be of help, glad it all worked out .. looks yummy

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Nice shots, have you a link to the lens add on? Would be interested in picking up one myself

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c7Ns8Mbe

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Ionised wrote: »
    http s://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c7Ns8Mbe

Take out the space between http and s.
    Boards doesn't like me posting links tonight for some reason.

Always wondered if those things actually worked, this thread is gonna be full of macro shots in about 3 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Picked this up recently.
    Le Cheminant Master Mariner chronograph.

Late sixties or early seventies. Valjoux 92 movement.

Entirely untouched and with a lovely patina. Works well, and the bezel functions too.

Should clean up nicely.

479318.jpg

Here's a pic of the lovely movement.

479317.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Picked this up recently.

Entirely untouched and with a lovely patina. Works well, and the bezel functions too.

Should clean up nicely.
    Oh that's very nice LD. 1960's column wheel chronograph? Oh yeah. :) And I'd bet it was a lot cheaper than a few "names" from the same period likely using the same movement. That's gonna look great with a new crystal(and strap). The dial and hands look to be in great nick. I like the design too, particularly the chrono seconds hand.

Few enough of these type of divers chronos from the period survive in good condition. Sealing was understandably less secure than time only watches and while the sealing would work OK when new, quickly degraded and let water in. Few were "desk divers" back then too. Nice find. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh that's very nice LD. 1960's column wheel chronograph? Oh yeah. :)

Aye, I'm well chuffed with it.

I'm thinking a minimal restoration. New crystal, general clean and service, reseal and possibly a re-lume.

Leave it as is part form that.

There's a terrible 70's style perforated semi-solid bracelet that will be killed with fire discarded.

Might keep it, might sell it on. It is within the window for a birth year watch for me, so may hang on till I see it sorted before deciding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd do similar, except for a relume. IMHO unless it's radium and gives x rays to passers by, or the dial is horribly degraded, original looks best and the lume in your one looks the mutts nuts. Yours would be hard to get right too. Those type of bezels are easy to get back looking good too, with an application of red and black in the numerals and grooves. It's going to be a cracker tided up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

@Wibbs: Good advice, thanks for that.

I have a mate who is highly experienced in these things, so I'll see what he says as he'll be doing the work, but doubt tit would vary much from your tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Picked this up recently.

Should clean up nicely.

Fine watch sir

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Accurist. Brought this in 2003. Doesn't function properly anymore. I'd love to get it fixed.

479337.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Latest arrival from China. Thought I'd buy the cheapest half decent looking watch I could find and see how long it will last.
    All for the princely sum of €1.88...........delivered 🤣

20190503-183404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

This one also arrived today. I have large wrists, but this is BIIIIIG!

20190502-205245.jpg

€6 each, so got 3 in different colours. Flew through the waterproof test.

• Advertisement

It does make a statement... Just not sure what it says!

Fresh battery time for these two and I dunno if it comes across in pics, but a good example of how the same model can look quite different depending on dial colour and strap/bracelet.

479401.jpg

Girard Perregaux from 1972, running an early quartz movement designed by GP and Jaeger LeCoultre. No jewels, uses teflon bearings instead so no lubrication required. Superior stepping motor for the time(and arguably even today) with enough torque to drive normal sized hands, when most then couldn't. Set the standard quartz frequency of 32768 Hz, which is the one used by the vast majority of quartz watches since. They were entered into observatory timekeeping trials which were higher standards than chronometer certification(full watches not just movements and observed over 30 days and subjected to shock as well as positional variation) and blew the opposition away. Even today with a bit of tweaking they can run well under 30 seconds per year.

They're pretty solid a movement as the number of survivors attests, though the date mechanism and keyless works(designed by JLC) can cause problems. The electronics and motor are generally bombproof, but the quartz oscillator can die, though because they're the same frequency as modern quartz a new one can be fitted for a few quid(the linen dial one has had this done sometime in its history). The blue one I got from France, the linen dial came from Peru of all places which is pretty cool. :)

Price wise these days; at ebay auction this model goes for between 3-400, private/forum sales 4-500, dealers 600+ Original box and papers maybe adds 20% at auction, much more with dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Big and hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Big and hideous.

Did your mother never teach you beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Or manners?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Ballpark Wibbs- how many watches do you have??!!:eek:
    Fresh battery time for these two and I dunno if it comes across in pics, but a good example of how the same model can look quite different depending on dial colour and strap/bracelet.
    [/IMG]

Girard Perregaux from 1972, running an early quartz movement designed by GP and Jaeger LeCoultre. No jewels, uses teflon bearings instead so no lubrication required. Superior stepping motor for the time(and arguably even today) with enough torque to drive normal sized hands, when most then couldn't. Set the standard quartz frequency of 32768 Hz, which is the one used by the vast majority of quartz watches since. They were entered into observatory timekeeping trials which were higher standards than chronometer certification(full watches not just movements and observed over 30 days and subjected to shock as well as positional variation) and blew the opposition away. Even today with a bit of tweaking they can run well under 30 seconds per year.

They're pretty solid a movement as the number of survivors attests, though the date mechanism and keyless works(designed by JLC) can cause problems. The electronics and motor are generally bombproof, but the quartz oscillator can die, though because they're the same frequency as modern quartz a new one can be fitted for a few quid(the linen dial one has had this done sometime in its history). The blue one I got from France, the linen dial came from Peru of all places which is pretty cool. :)

Price wise these days; at ebay auction this model goes for between 3-400, private/forum sales 4-500, dealers 600+ Original box and papers maybe adds 20% at auction, much more with dealers.

Ballpark Wibbs- how many watches do you have??!!:eek:
    :o twenty something... Currently. I've had more and less down the years. In my defence that's built up over a couple of decades and the most I've ever paid is 900 quid, the average was 200 quid or less, many for 50 quid or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

That blue GP is gorgeous I’m heading to C24 now to see how much it’ll cost me to get one

Time wrote: »
    That blue GP is gorgeous I’m heading to C24 now to see how much it’ll cost me to get one
    Thanks T, but be careful Chrono24 is a marketplace well known for being inventive with values. I had a quick look and they don't have that case style(which is one of the less common) but what they have are hilariously overpriced. The Christies auction example at 1000 quid estimate and already up to 800 quid in bids I wouldn't pay more than 2-250 for it on ebay(and you'd be better protected on ebay if it were a dud). Just goes to show how the environment and/or a "name" like Christies can impact "values". Hodinkee the same. Doubly so in a once niche hobby gone mainstream with lots of new folks trying to jump in and buy tulips, sorry watches while they can.

FWIW T there's only one on ebay that I can find at the moment with this case style and a slightly different dial variation(which is rarer again) and on a strap and here it is. The German seller is looking 650 for it, with a make an offer option. German sellers are almost inevitably more expensive than elsewhere. If it were me? I'd offer them 450, 500 at most. It's been up for sale for nearly a year. It started off at a 1000. It is in good condition to be fair, though they polished the case, originally they had a brushed finish, but that's easy enough to redo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

:o twenty something... .

Seems on the low side there wibbs, are your sure there isnt another zero on the end????

• Advertisement

I've probably had near that figure go through my hands down the years alright FG. I once got a box full of steel cased and plated watches at a general auction in Dublin in the 80's and there would have been near enough 40 in that. Cost me 60 quid all in. :eek: A lot of no name Swiss cheap stuff, but included a few Omega, Rotary, one Longines and a couple of Tudors. Mostly 50's 60's stuff and mostly ticking. Held onto one of the Tudor Oysters for years. Had a little Tudor rose on the pale dial. Little steel dress type watch. Gave it to an ex in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement