Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice one H! :) That's a bloody beauty! :eek::) Can't go wrong with a black enamel dialled Trench watch in a Borgel case. Looks right on your wrist too. The Bonklip bracelet really works with it and I didn't think it would but it does and I reckon because it's a slightly wider band fitted down to the 12mm lugs(nicely done too). They're worth a few quid on their own.
    scotchy wrote: »
    Had a look at Trench Watches on Ebay after reading Wibbs post. Some interesting pieces there.
    There are S and with all that history behind them and the very start of the wristwatch for men story too. So long as you don't go swimming with them :) they're remarkably robust and a well serviced and timed good condition movement one can be remarkably accurate timekeepers too. They had to be considering their intended purpose. So ignore the ebay dealers and their "runs fast by two minutes a day, which is to be expected..".

Go for names like Zenith, Longines, Omega if they have a name on the dial, the vast majority of British sold examples didn't. Instead they had the retailer's name printed above the enamel, which is fragile and usually gets worn away in the interim years. You can take it as a given that any UK sold one with a maker's name on the dial is a later addition*.

Avoid any Rolex examples as a) their quality outside of very rare Extra Prima examples was meh back then and b) nearly all have Rolex printed later on the dial, or c) are complete fakes. Rolex owned a few trademarks back then with inferior cases and movements and these are usually marketed as Rolex and they're not.

If no name is present go for 15(or above) jewel movements, not 7. Avoid Cylinder escapements as they're cheap and nasty and wear out quickly.

Go for silver cases in general as they can be accurately dated(same for gold).

Make sure the hands match the dial. Luminous dials had luminous "cathedral" hands like Hitemfrank's above. They didn't have solid "stick hands".

Of the case designs screw front and back are better sealed than hinged backs and fronts, Borgels seal the best, which means the movements are usually in better condition and they were fitted with better movements in the first place. You won't see a Borgel case with a Cylinder escapement, or 7 jewels.

Size wise, avoid anything under 30mm, they're women's watches. Ditto for anything with flowery cases and dials. Again women's watches. These are often described as trench watches but there weren't any women in the trenches. 34-36mm is the sweet spot in size. Anything above that beware as they're nearly always recased pocket watches. Avoid Polish and Ukrainian sellers like the plague, unless you really know your stuff. 99% are fakes or recased pocket watch movements. These usually have the sub second dials at the 9 position.

Some current on sale examples to avoid...

Women's watch

Wrong hands

And a couple from the same seller:

"Rolex officers WW1 trench watch", only it's not WW1, the hallmark being a clue(he can't even make up his mind between 1917/18), not a trench watch, more likely a woman's watch and with a "restored" dial done up on an inkjet printer.

Zenith pocketwatch with lugs later attached, I'd be betting in this century... The serial number on the movement is post WW1. The "Zenith" on the dial is most certainly added later.

From another seller, one of our eastern european friends...

Not a Rolex, not a wristwatch and the dial printing is a fantasy.

As always it's buyer beware guys, but if any of you do see one you like FWIW drop me a PM and I'll try to help.

*My 1916 London hallmarked Longines is very unusual as it does have longines on the dial and it's in the enamel, not printed later. Maybe a later dial, though I got it back in the early 90's before they were worth anything beyond silver scrap value and it was as black as your boot from tarnish.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Nah, can't agree with this! My speedie is my favorite watch at the moment. Great quality, great looking and feels divine on the wrist.

Fair enough, I'm just not a huge fan of chronograph at the moment. This may change though.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    What makes you say that?
    If anything they are very underrated considering the history. Very well priced watch which regularly ends up in top 10 must have watches along side the usual suspects.

As I said above I just don't like them, I'm not a fan of chronographs.

Its a complication I would never use. I like the cleaner look of 3 handers.

I retract my statement about them bring over rated. I'm just not a fan.

The hand wound movement on the speedy is a thing of beauty to behold, I'll give it that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a Speedie way back when, mid 90's. Didn't hang onto it for very long. Never really gelled with it for some reason. I should have, I like chronos, it's an iconic watch, legible dial, well made and from a great maker, but..

Would have been better served financially as it was a pre moon one and they go for a few quid these days. Doh! :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Fantastic watches and the bezels never pop off when you hit them off a kitchen press....

20190424-114352.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Got a couple of "The Watch Steward" straps in the post today, nice change from standard NATO's. Somewhat Elastic so they fit really nicely.

478594.jpg
    478595.jpg
    478596.jpg
    478597.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I like the look of those thewatchsteward straps. Did you buy them direct, as it seems they only ship from US? Or did you source them elsewhere?

Thanks

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I like the look of those thewatchsteward straps. Did you buy them direct, as it seems they only ship from US? Or did you source them elsewhere?

Thanks

I got them directly from his site, took a while as I ordered on the 12th and only arrived today, the longest part was the shipping across several states before they left for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

Having a bit of a spring clean today and came across this little Seiko I had totally forgotten about. I think it came from Ebay maybe 8 or10 years ago and if memory serves cost me in the region of 20 notes.

Gave it a quick polish, Polywatched the crystal and added the only 18mm strap I could find in the stash.

Has been keeping pretty good time for the past 24 hours.

Seiko-7005.jpg

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Thanks

They look super comfortable?

• Advertisement

No panic..

20190424-160925.jpg

The oul interweb is a great place for advice.

A quick check of my watch insurance policy, a deep breath and a good firm smack.

Thank you Schwartz sea salt :)

20190424-133613.jpg

2shea wrote: »
    They look super comfortable?

Its very comfortable, very easy to adjust aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Fantastic watches and the bezels never pop off when you hit them off a kitchen press....

The crystal does have a history of popping off on the moon :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ablogtowatch.com/bulova-moon-watch/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

QqHDtPr.jpg

Probably the watch I wear most out of my collection. Don't understand the Speedmaster haters!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

478611.jpg

It arrived last week. I'm not feeling it though. Colleagues like it but it's not doing much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

New in for Mrs Cyrus

Got this on chrono24 from germany, full set with box and original papers, watch is in nice shape bar the expected stretch on the president bracelet but very impressed with this.

Rolex 69178 Lady President 26mm

Epe09I0.jpg

A7fgu9i.jpg

ZUHLZ1i.jpg

HRqMytX.jpg

zYkeJdU.jpg

Jaysus Cyrus, if there was no Mrs Cyrus, I'd be asking you out on a date. Nice watch, and with all the extra gear. Not that's brownie points lads and lasses. :D

Brennus335 wrote:
    Don't understand the Speedmaster haters!
    Ditto B, even though I never really gelled with the one I had way back when. In my case I think I've solved it. I don't like three register/subdial chronographs. Ever. I get the tingle in the pants for two register/subdial chronos alright, but add another register/subdial? Ahh here. In fairness, ye know at this stage all my taste is in my mouth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cyrus, I got the OH a similar one in barcelona a few years back, not nearly as nice a box with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

478611.jpg

It arrived last week. I'm not feeling it though. Colleagues like it but it's not doing much for me.

I love the style of this Orient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

I am not the biggest fan of the classic Speedmaster. It’s a nice looking watch and very versatile.

But some of the limited editions are classy pieces.

Grey side of moon is amazing (just too big).
    Speedie Tuesday and ultraman, new blue faced ones are really handsome!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

"posts must contain at least one valid character" zzz

478648.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

"posts must contain at least one valid character" zzz

Very nice

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

The oul interweb is a great place for advice.

A quick check of my watch insurance policy, a deep breath and a good firm smack.

Thank you Schwartz sea salt :)

Is that the 2 euro Halfords mallet from the bargain alerts thread ? If so hows the quality ?

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Is that the 2 euro Halfords mallet from the bargain alerts thread ? If so hows the quality ?

No it's from chain reaction cycles. Use it for bike maintenance and wife attitude adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Many thanks to Deep thought for help getting this.
    I really like it, wears great for me, but i could see others having an issue with thickness.
    its enough of its own watch not to be a replica definitly, that was a worry.20190501_101242_zpsft8y6hsa_edit_1556702111932_zpsqaqjrrsq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Like the look of that. Very nice indeed.

Well wear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

479176.jpg

B&W Damasko.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

9DEE6CD9-2BEE-48C0-A467-F6A92D9E1303.jpeg

Finally bit the bullet and bought a new bracelet for the Orange Monster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

What the feck have I done :D
    I’ve tried the TAG Heuer connected in the past and it’s crap and I flipped it after 2 weeks, so this will do for a lot less
    Felt like a twat wearing the fit bit on one wrist and planet ocean on the other lol

479195.jpeg

The internet isn’t for everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement