Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fighting Khabib is a title shot.
    Fighting Dustin isn't, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dustin won't be fighting Nate anyway so it's immaterial.

Dustin, for better or worse, was given a shot an an interim title, the only logic next fight for him is Khabib to unify.

Expecting people to defend interim titles is top tier idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Great fight between Poirier/Holloway ....but standing like that McGegror beats both again ......in the same night I might add

Poirier wouldn't last 2 rounds with Khabib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Great fight between Poirier/Holloway ....but standing like that McGegror beats both again ......in the same night I might add

Why is it you think he wouldn't last 2 rounds with khabib?? It took khabib 4 rounds to take out McGregor, who hasn't shown himself to have as strong a ground game or gas tank as Poirier. Poirier, like McGregor, is technically a better striker than Khabib, while having a stronger ground game and gas tank than McGregor.

I think it would be more likely that Khabib would score a clear decision win than blow him away in a couple of rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

September 7th. Khabib Vs Dustin.

Conor will fight Lord Nathan of Stockton in August.

Mark it down.

Seems like an unnecessary time to cash that cheque?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sonofenoch wrote: »

Wow, what a load of complete tripe.

• Dustin won't be fighting Nate anyway so it's immaterial.

Dustin, for better or worse, was given a shot an an interim title, the only logic next fight for him is Khabib to unify.

If I was Dustin Id be ready for the title fight at any moment because if he turns it down even once (Even for a valid reason) they'll give the fight to someone else.

Did you by any chance see Dana constantly changing the topic when Dustin was mentioned in an interview after the fight? He seemed so bummed Dustin won.

edit: Here is the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvXJUIL_ql0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wow, what a load of complete tripe.

What part, to be fair?

If McGregor was on point (and that to be honest, is debatable right now) then it's not unreasonable to think he would be able to beat either.

Max isn't a power puncher, he relies on volume and precision to wear down opponents (ala Ortega).

Dustin is much stronger, but he still doesn't have the KO power that McGregor has (or, admittedly, had, depending).

Based on that performance, amazing as it was, it's not unreasonable to think a tuned-in McGregor would beat either with his excellent boxing and KO power. Not saying it's a done deal or anything close, but it's not an unreasonable assertion either.

The Khabib side of it, I'd be more inclined to agree. Dustin doesn't bring anything to a fight that Conor didn't (on paper), and I could see his striking being negated by Khabibs wrestling/fear of being taken down.

Either way, Conor v Porier/Max, or Khabib v Porier, would be an incredibly good match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If I was Dustin Id be ready for the title fight at any moment because if he turns it down even once (Even for a valid reason) they'll give the fight to someone else.

Did you by any chance see Dana constantly changing the topic when Dustin was mentioned in an interview after the fight? He seemed so bummed Dustin won.

edit: Here is the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvXJUIL_ql0

I'd say he was creaming at the prospect of Max becoming the next Champ Champ in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

What part, to be fair?

If McGregor was on point (and that to be honest, is debatable right now) then it's not unreasonable to think he would be able to beat either.

Max isn't a power puncher, he relies on volume and precision to wear down opponents (ala Ortega).

Dustin is much stronger, but he still doesn't have the KO power that McGregor has (or, admittedly, had, depending).

Based on that performance, amazing as it was, it's not unreasonable to think a tuned-in McGregor would beat either with his excellent boxing and KO power. Not saying it's a done deal or anything close, but it's not an unreasonable assertion either.

The Khabib side of it, I'd be more inclined to agree. Dustin doesn't bring anything to a fight that Conor didn't (on paper), and I could see his striking being negated by Khabibs wrestling/fear of being taken down.

Either way, Conor v Porier/Max, or Khabib v Porier, would be an incredibly good match up.

The stupid hyperbole that Conor has such an advantage he could beat both in one night. Or that Dustin couldn’t possibly last two rounds with Khabib yet far worse fighters have taken him further. Just a stupid post.

It’s so impossible to tell what kind of McGregor will show up in the future. Personally I think it’s very unlikely he gets back to previous levels of the Alvarez fight. (Which I think was his best performance)
    Also his power against bigger more durable guys at 155 isn’t fully proven to be the same weapon it was at 145.

Dustin has a better ground game than Conor. God knows if it’s enough to get back to his feet or attack a sub vs Khabib but between that, his striking and his heart it’s a fight I wanna see.

Any of those guys you mention fighting would be awesome.

• Advertisement

Dustin won't be fighting Nate anyway so it's immaterial.

I don't think the UFC or anyone has said they expect Dustin to defend.
    But I think he fair that he retains the option to keep earning it Khabib is not fighting.

If it's September, I'm sure he'll wait. But is September locked it? I'm surprised Khabib went back on his promise to stand with his teammates. It seem like something he felt strongly about.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think the UFC or anyone has said they expect Dustin to defend.
    But I think he fair that he retains the option to keep earning it Khabib is not fighting.

If it's September, I'm sure he'll wait. But is September locked it? I'm surprised Khabib went back on his promise to stand with his teammates. It seem like something he felt strongly about.

Nothing is locked in until the cage is locked behind the two lads in fairness, but I'd be stunned if they don't headline a card on September 7th.
    Apparently Khabib sees that as keeping his word as the other could be in camp for their next fight when he has his fight in September. It's Dagestan logic.

He's basically confirmed a "leak" from a source that has largely been right about his and other Dagestani fighters up till now by saying "I'll see you in September Dustin".

Nothing is locked in until the cage is locked behind the two lads in fairness, but I'd be stunned if they don't headline a card on September 7th.
    Yeah of course, especially with Khabibs injury history. I meant locked in a signed/booked or some sort of official indication from the UFC other than Dana saying it "makes sense".

Apparently Khabib sees that as keeping his word as the other could be in camp for their next fight when he has his fight in September. It's Dagestan logic.
    I suppose if Khabib has negotiated a deal where they are booked for October as soon as the ban is up that's not totally insane logic.
    But otherwise they aren't fight until the new year and he looks to have bailed.
    He's basically confirmed a "leak" from a source that has largely been right about his and other Dagestani fighters up till now by saying "I'll see you in September Dustin".
    That's good enough for me. I know the source you mean.

Tony, if to be believed, hinting he was offered Conor. Certainly more plausible than a Nate match-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Tony, if to be believed, hinting he was offered Conor. Certainly more plausible than a Nate match-up.

Is Tony not suffering from Delusional thought at moment. His wife has a restraining order as he thought the CIA had a chip in his leg.

What Tony is hinting at is I'd say Dublin to Timbuktu from the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ali Abdelaziz also said McGregor was offered Gaethje. It both offers are on the table I assume they'll go with Ferguson due to the management link.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ferguson should be getting Khabib o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ferguson should be getting Khabib o

Before the interim champ? Really?

Ferguson should be fighting either Khabib or Poirier. He deserves his shot for a belt more than anybody.
    If they really want Khabib/McGregor 2 then it should be Ferguson vs Khabib and McGregor vs Poirier.
    Are they all running scared of Tony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ferguson should be fighting either Khabib or Poirier. He deserves his shot for a belt more than anybody.
    If they really want Khabib/McGregor 2 then it should be Ferguson vs Khabib and McGregor vs Poirier.
    Are they all running scared of Tony?

So the interim champ should defend his belt against someone else while the undisputed defendes against someone else?

Give your head a shake man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So the interim champ should defend his belt against someone else while the undisputed defendes against someone else?

Maybe he's on to something. Maybe there just needs to be a gold and silver belt, so there's always a number one and two in the division. Then further down the line bring in a bronze belt as well.

Give your head a shake man
    Ferguson is the no.1 contender. Did he lose that position without a fight?

Even White said that the lineups I suggest should be the order of things a couple of months ago. What has changed?
    How did we end up with an interim champ with the top three fighters in the division all fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Even White said that the lineups I suggest should be the order of things a couple of months ago. What has changed?
    How did we end up with an interim champ with the top three fighters in the division all fit?

Dustin Porier is the number 1 contender obviously since he won the interim title. He is the champ until the real champ returns then they fight to unify the belt.

Tony's not fit, or at least wasn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Dustin Porier is the number 1 contender obviously since he won the interim title. He is the champ until the real champ returns then they fight to unify the belt.

Tony's not fit, or at least wasn't .

According to Dana last night he needs to be checked by UFC docs.

• Lads lets be honest. If Ferguson is offered a Mcgregor match or a shot at Khabib he will take the Mcgregor match every day of the week. He will make far more money versus Mcgregor.

I also feel Tony will feel Mcgregor is an easy enough win for him (not that I agree with that... Its just how I feel Tony will think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Poirier should never have to 'defend' an interim belt, even for the UFC that's stretching credibility ..........Khabib/Poirier McGregor/Ferguson makes all the sense but they could never be on the same card for the obvious reason.......McGregor seriously needs a win to get that fight again

Nate Diaz deserves none of the above, but money talks so the more likelihood is McGregor/Khabib ....or Diaz

Lads Khabib is fighting Dustin on the 7th of September. Fact.

Conor will fight Mr. Diaz in August.

Just saying, but I'd love to see Dustin unify the belt.

Tony was offered an interim title fight and turned it down.
    He was subsequently medically suspended. Based n both of those facts, he's no longer no.1 contender.

We ended up with an interim champion because the top 3 guys weren't fit to fight.
    Khabib suspended,
    Conor suspended,
    Tony (medically) suspended,

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Tony was offered an interim title fight and turned it down.
    He was subsequently medically suspended. Based n both of those facts, he's no longer no.1 contender.

We ended up with an interim champion because the top 3 guys weren't fit to fight.
    Khabib suspended,
    Conor suspended,
    Tony (medically) suspended,

Not disagreeing, but all this assumes UFC is meritocratic...Can anyone imagine Dana being dissatisfied if Dustin is injured? Though I wonder how much more Tony would sell over Dustin right now.

Other question - is it as financially viable to have McGregor on middle east card as US? They could probably make more on gate in middle east?

Advertisement