Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

joeguevara wrote: »
    I used to love his antics and his promotion was amazing. Hoping he will reinvent himself but people aren't as willing to laugh it off when he steps out of line. I thought the towel comment was hilarious but for a guy who has already been accused of racism, who is dealing with the other thing, who flipped the lid with the mobile and after increased tensions with the NZ attack it didn't come across as funny as I assume he meant.

But, it is strange (and this has nothing to do with you) when people say they are trying not to hear about him but are on a thread specifically devoted to him.

His tweet today complimenting the two fighters from last night while showing a touch of class was so obviously not from him that it was laughable. The construction of the sentences, the tone and obvious absence of anything cheeky or self promotion amplified the fact that it was someone else. I hope this is the start of his management shielding him from the public channels let's hope it goes further and not allowing him out with yes men who guide him into trouble.

I don't want a reinvention of a sterile airbrushed version but at the same time I don't want to continue to see him coming across as a lout.

got a chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xtal191 wrote: »
    It should really be Conor vs Ferguson next, winner fights the winner of last night vs Khabib
    Ferguson isn't cleared to fight atm as far as we know.
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Probably because he used to know when to/ and was willing to turn off his gimmick. Now he's in gimmick 24/7 and he's become insufferable because of it.
    I get that he's in gimmick mode most of the time. But don't understand why people switch off their own brains because of that.
    His tweet today complimenting the two fighters from last night while showing a touch of class was so obviously not from him that it was laughable. The construction of the sentences, the tone and obvious absence of anything cheeky or self promotion amplified the fact that it was someone else. I hope this is the start of his management shielding him from the public channels let's hope it goes further and not allowing him out with yes men who guide him into trouble.
    Somebody commented under the post that it must no have been him, and the reply sounded like it was him tbh. I don't think complimenting either guys after that fight is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Conor has been very complimentary about other fighters/fights in the past, including on twitter.

I find the notion that he didn't write it because it's complementary absurd. It's not like the tweet is impeccably written or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    Somebody commented under the post that it must no have been him

That was Tony Ferguson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ferguson isn't cleared to fight atm as far as we know.

I get that he's in gimmick mode most of the time. But don't understand why people switch off their own brains because of that.

Somebody commented under the post that it must no have been him, and the reply sounded like it was him tbh. I don't think complimenting either guys after that fight is out of the question.

Yeah I saw the reply. But the original post was so differently constructed than anything else I have seen him post before, I believe it wasn't him. While it is not out of the question to compliment both fighters, if it was him he would have done it in a way to include him or jibe someone else. Remember this comes days after he posted about 16 pics battering mallinagi, Either it was someone else posting or he is being directed what to write. The former being much more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah I saw the reply. But the original post was so differently constructed than anything else I have seen him post before, I believe it wasn't him. While it is not out of the question to compliment both fighters, if it was him he would have done it in a way to include him or jibe someone else. Remember this comes days after he posted about 16 pics battering mallinagi, Either it was someone else posting or he is being directed what to write. The former being much more likely.

He has beef with Pauli. Thats different. He doesn't with most of the roster.

And what makes you think he can't compliment a fighter without giving a jibe? What are you basing that on?

He has a history of tweeting congrats to fighters of cards he isn't a part of. I don't follow him on Twitter but his tweets are always posted on forums I visit. I've seen dozens of him complimenting fighters after fights over the past few years.

Kirby wrote: »
    He has beef with Pauli. Thats different. He doesn't with most of the roster.

And what makes you think he can't compliment a fighter without giving a jibe? What are you basing that on?

He has a history of tweeting congrats to fighters of cards he isn't a part of. I don't follow him on Twitter but his tweets are always posted on forums I visit. I've seen dozens of him complimenting fighters after fights over the past few years.

I don't think it was him not because it was complimentary but because of the way it was constructed and read. Just didn't feel like him. I don't think jibe was the correct word to use. I meant that there is usually an agenda or at least creating an opportunity for him.

He has complimented fighters in the past but in a different type of way. Holloway is a good example of this. I might be completely wrong but it just seemed to e a different type of post than what we are used to.

Either it was someone else posting or he is being directed what to write. The former being much more likely.
    Or he it was him. Not sure why that’s impossible.
    He comments on fights a lot. Maybe he was watching the fights and had the same reaction as all of us.
    (Spoiler Warning for UFC 236)
    To be clear we are talking about this tweet.
    The ESPN+ tweets were obvious promoted/sponsored by ESPN.

Or he it was him. Not sure why that’s impossible.
    He comments on fights a lot. Maybe he was watching the fights and had the same reaction as all of us.
    (Spoiler Warning for UFC 236)
    To be clear we are talking about this tweet.
    The ESPN+ tweets were obvious promoted/sponsored by ESPN.

Yes that is the tweet. Has he ever predicted the next fight for a fighter that wasn't him.?

To me it just seemed too well intentioned and didn't include something like 'I sonned him' or a reference to not forget he beat them both. I have been thinking about it though and maybe it was pure genius by Conor who in apparent genuine and professionalism is setting himself up for khabib rematch by pointing Dustin towards Nate.

Ah, I just am happy that it's not about proper 12 or anything else.

Yes that is the tweet. Has he ever predicted the next fight for a fighter that wasn't him.?

To me it just seemed too well intentioned and didn't include something like 'I sonned him' or a reference to not forget he beat them both. I have been thinking about it though and maybe it was pure genius by Conor who in apparent genuine and professionalism is setting himself up for khabib rematch by pointing Dustin towards Nate.

Ah, I just am happy that it's not about proper 12 or anything else.
    He is referring to the fight that was scheduled between Dustin and Nate for UFC 230. If Dustin is interesting in fighting before September, it kinda makes sense. Nate would jump at it imo.

As for getting in a dig about beating them both. I honestly don't think he'd kick a fighter when he was down. Max's 5 year unbeaten run had just ended.
    He posted something thoughtful and professional when Max pulled out of the Ortega fight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He is referring to the fight that was scheduled between Dustin and Nate for UFC 230. If Dustin is interesting in fighting before September, it kinda makes sense. Nate would jump at it imo.

As for getting in a dig about beating them both. I honestly don't think he'd kick a fighter when he was down. Max's 5 year unbeaten run had just ended.
    He posted something thoughtful and professional when Max pulled out of the Ortega fight

Nate v Dustin doesn't make any sense at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I don't follow him. You can't help but hear about him. Everytime Conor says or does something stupid MMA forums and news site light up like a Christmas tree.

But you follow the "Official Conor McGregor thread (part 7)", if you unfollow this it is one less thing to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It does to a man who is trying to keep Dustin away from his attempts to get a rematch with Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Not a big MMA fan, Just like to follow Conor.

Can anyone tell me is he retired, Gearing up for negotiations or whats going on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tomas81 wrote: »
    Not a big MMA fan, Just like to follow Conor.

Can anyone tell me is he retired, Gearing up for negotiations or whats going on?

Any talk of McGregor retiring is likely just being used as a negotiation tactic.

Any talk of McGregor retiring is likely just being used as a negotiation tactic.

Thought as much, but wasnt sure. I dont enjoy his behaviour but I have to admit the month leading to a Conor fight is great online between pressers and weigh ins and the exchanges. Dustin and Max build up was so low key, Even Jones And Gus was low key.

It was booked for UFC230 late last year.
    But Dustin got injured.

dustin-poirier-nate-diaz-25-presser1.jpg

There's a severe lack of availible top LWs.
    Khabib is out. Tony and Conor are AWOL.
    He's beaten Gaethje recently. Cowboy and Iaquinta are booked.
    We into the likes of Felder and Oliveira after that. Personally I think Nate makes more sense than those guys. Not so much on his merits but due to the lack of a credible alternative.

Obviously, he's perfectly entitled to sit out. I just meant if Khabib isn't planning to fight for a while

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thought as much, but wasnt sure. I dont enjoy his behaviour but I have to admit the month leading to a Conor fight is great online between pressers and weigh ins and the exchanges. Dustin and Max build up was so low key, Even Jones And Gus was low key.

The build up for a McGregor fight is something else alright. I hope he books something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Obviously, he's perfectly entitled to sit out. I just meant if Khabib isn't planning to fight for a while

Khabib can fight in the summer. Poirier deserves that fight. If Khabib won't fight by then he'll be stripped.

The Nal wrote: »
    Khabib can fight in the summer. Poirier deserves that fight. If Khabib won't fight by then he'll be stripped.

Ramadan finishes june, , he won't camo through it so he that will rule him out till earliest August.

• Advertisement

Ramadan finishes june, , he won't camo through it so he that will rule him out till earliest August.

Yeah seems to be loosely arranged for September as per Khabib and Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like Poirier a lot but I think stylistically he won't have much for Khabib. Prefer to see Conor Poirier but can't see that happening.

He can fight again from the of 6th July. But I doubt he will.
    He initially said he wasn't going to fight until October (or later) when the other bans were up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

September 7th. Khabib Vs Dustin.

Conor will fight Lord Nathan of Stockton in August.

Mark it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If it does end up being the trilogy, I reckon he'll pick Diaz apart.

Whatever about ring rust for McG, Diaz hasn't fought in 4 years.

I'd still love to see Holloway McG at 155.

Diaz hasn't fought in 3 years, is ranked 15th. Any of the top 10 including Felder, Gillespie ect make more sense for Dustin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Diaz hasn't fought in 3 years, is ranked 15th. Any of the top 10 including Felder, Gillespie ect make more sense for Dustin.
    Make more sense in what way? Definitely not financially and given that the UFC is a business the financial part of it is pretty important. Dustin V Nate does a hell of a lot more buys than Dustin V Felder or pretty much anybody outside the top 5.

Diaz is ranked 15th on activity not ability.
    People are always complaining that the rankings make no sense. So kinda hard to make the case that they decide the fights.
    I'm going by the fight I want to see, not the rankings. But each to their own

People are always complaining that the rankings make no sense. So kinda hard to make the case that they decide the fights.

Hes ranked 15 because hes had 18 fights in the last ten years and lost 9 of them. Conor aside, the only person of note hes ever beaten is Cerrone.

• Advertisement

20-11 would suggest it's not inactivity. He mysteriously shot up the Rankin's when fighting McGregor at 170lbs. He should be no where near a title shot in such a staked division

Advertisement