Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

snotboogie wrote: »
    Pretty wtf Instagram stories now

As in fight news or gossip? Can I buy a vowel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

He's in SBG portlaoise, don't know if it's training or there is a comp on.

There isn’t sbg in Portlaoise, as far as I’m aware

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As in fight news or gossip? Can I buy a vowel?

Neither, he is filming a handbag with Jay Z playing in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There isn’t sbg in Portlaoise, as far as I’m aware

There's one in Portarlington, maybe he's thinking of that one. Think there's a Team Ryano affiliate in Portlaoise

I'm waiting for them to announce Conor Vs Dustin/Max after tonight. Looks like Conor is too.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1117133831121842177?s=19

• Advertisement

The whole desperate for attention thing is kind of sad really at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

He seems to grab your attention every time so he's doing a fairly good job.

ASOT wrote: »
    He seems to grab your attention every time so he's doing a fairly good job.

Yes..I am subscribed to this thread..

More goodness. Khabibs wrestling is overrated.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1117141077750947841?s=19

Lad would want to lay off the coke..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That's some bluebelt logic right there.

Why would anyone pass your guard in an MMA fight if you showed no ability to either attack a submission from bottom, or get up?

He had total control for almost the entirety of the fight and finished it the first time he attacked a submission.

Put the bag down Conor, it's not even 9pm FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

I'd love to look back on all my **** ups like Conor, no matter how ****e he does he'll turn it on its head, he wasn't in the same league as Khabib that night. Khabib won, no question and he won fairly easy.

One thing is for sure, he can sell a rematch. I think Khabib is a nightmare for him though, he's a chin of granite, you don't want to wrestle with him and he's one of the strongest human beings I've ever seen fight. He also doesn't do drink or drugs and trains 24/7. He doesn't promote himself, he doesn't promote his kids. He fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Conor (the fighter) and its ery possible he hurt his foot during the fight but come on look at the open workout video

Would someone with a broken foot be doing this?

0wdxyT.gif
    Few pain killing injections would probably sort that out ;)
    Broken foot or not Khabbib would still probably beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

His core fairweather fanbase will eat that up, he knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

And yet it's had the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

cletus wrote: »
    There's one in Portarlington, maybe he's thinking of that one. Think there's a Team Ryano affiliate in Portlaoise

Sorry it was portarlington, fecking spell check.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I still don't understand why people still take everything Conor says at facevalue. His entire career he's talked shït about opponents to get a reaction, or to forward and agenda. Do people actually think he's serious, or does it just suit the narrative?

Mayweather fight being a good example. We had a parade of boxing fans talking about how Conor was delusional, doesn't understand boxing/Mayweather/etc.
    When I bet that Conor as a boxing/fighting fan a much better understanding than the majority of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

<snip>

Mod: Lets not start having a discussion go off on a tangent which may lead to people talking about and spoiling the result of a fight here that is just on right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Mellor wrote: »
    I still don't understand why people still take everything Conor says at facevalue. His entire career he's talked shït about opponents to get a reaction, or to forward and agenda. Do people actually think he's serious, or does it just suit the narrative?

Mayweather fight being a good example. We had a parade of boxing fans talking about how Conor was delusional, doesn't understand boxing/Mayweather/etc.
    When I bet that Conor as a boxing/fighting fan a much better understanding than the majority of fans.

What's even more strange is people believe his social media posts are even him. There are so many posts on this thread and on most others who repeat the theme that his posts are the ramblings of a cocaine addled megalomaniac. But each one is so on point and part of an agenda that to disregard them makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ok like I said earlier without spoilers. Max nor Dustin would trouble megregor after watching that performance. What do you think? Do you see a different result vs megregor after watching that fight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ok like I said earlier without spoilers. Max nor Dustin would trouble megregor after watching that performance. What do you think? Do you see a different result vs megregor after watching that fight?

If people are going to discuss this do so with spoiler tags as per the charter. The fight has literally ended, no need to spoil it for those that havent stayed up to watch it tonight.

Last night spoilers and thoughts on Conor's next fight.
    Conor said it's him and Khabib next and Dustin will be fighting Nate as previously scheduled. I fully thought Conor would jump at the chance at Dustin for the belt asap before Khabib comes back.

Dana said (I know) Dustin will be fighting Khabib next. I know Conor has some pull but no way could it be anything but Dustin Khabib. Best chance for Conor Nate 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭xtal191

It should really be Conor vs Ferguson next, winner fights the winner of last night vs Khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Last night spoilers and thoughts on Conor's next fight.
    Conor said it's him and Khabib next and Dustin will be fighting Nate as previously scheduled. I fully thought Conor would jump at the chance at Dustin for the belt asap before Khabib comes back.

Dana said (I know) Dustin will be fighting Khabib next. I know Conor has some pull but no way could it be anything but Dustin Khabib. Best chance for Conor Nate 3.

No chance of Conor Dustin anyway imo, and even less of Conor Khabib next. Conor Max next is the only right thing to do, and it's a really tough fight for Conor imo, only thing to benefit him is that it'll only be a 3 rounder so stamina less of a concern against probably the best gas tank and chin around.

I'd love to see Conor Vs Tony, dangerous fight for him but winnable and puts him straight back into title contention. I would be absolutely fine if we never got Nate 3. Justin is calling him out as well but I don't think he'll bite.

Dana meeting with Conor in Miami in 2 weeks to discuss his future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Mellor wrote: »

Probably because he used to know when to/ and was willing to turn off his gimmick. Now he's in gimmick 24/7 and he's become insufferable because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Probably because he used to know when to/ and was willing to turn off his gimmick. Now he's in gimmick 24/7 and he's become insufferable because of it.

So stop following him?

I think Lewis Hamilton is a cock womble, so I don't go looking for ****e he says or does to be annoyed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tazzimus wrote: »
    So stop following him?

I think Lewis Hamilton is a cock womble, so I don't go looking for ****e he says or does to be annoyed by it.

I don't follow him. You can't help but hear about him. Everytime Conor says or does something stupid MMA forums and news site light up like a Christmas tree.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I don't follow him. You can't help but hear about him. Everytime Conor says or does something stupid MMA forums and news site light up like a Christmas tree.

Yeah, this.. don't follow him anywhere.. only reason I see anything about him is here..or the New York Times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yeah, this.. don't follow him anywhere.. only reason I see anything about him is here..or the New York Times..

I used to love his antics and his promotion was amazing. Hoping he will reinvent himself but people aren't as willing to laugh it off when he steps out of line. I thought the towel comment was hilarious but for a guy who has already been accused of racism, who is dealing with the other thing, who flipped the lid with the mobile and after increased tensions with the NZ attack it didn't come across as funny as I assume he meant.

But, it is strange (and this has nothing to do with you) when people say they are trying not to hear about him but are on a thread specifically devoted to him.

His tweet today complimenting the two fighters from last night while showing a touch of class was so obviously not from him that it was laughable. The construction of the sentences, the tone and obvious absence of anything cheeky or self promotion amplified the fact that it was someone else. I hope this is the start of his management shielding him from the public channels let's hope it goes further and not allowing him out with yes men who guide him into trouble.

I don't want a reinvention of a sterile airbrushed version but at the same time I don't want to continue to see him coming across as a lout.

Advertisement