Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Well good morning everyone. I see we all got along swimmingly last night :D

If you have anything of substance to offer be sure to post it. Otherwise, I'll just ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,701 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any polls yet for this? I expect Casey to be leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

eagle eye wrote: »
    Any polls yet for this? I expect Casey to be leading.

You expect Casey to be polling ahead of Mairead McGuinness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

mgn wrote: »
    Casey hopes to take Ming the Merciless seat in europe.

Ming who? He's been practically invisible as well as yer man down in Cork for the last several years. You don't hear that much of the rest but they do crop up from time to time.

Not sure why Peter Casey would want to be elected to the EP, unless it's a platform to launch a new party here and get into the Dáil.

Hear Mick Wallace is also thinking that way, maybe he sees the writing on the wall as regards representing Wexford.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Tell me about it.
    You cast your ballot for someone you think is a 'gobshíte'

Well Ming headed the poll last time I believe, so plenty of precedence!

• Advertisement

If you have anything of substance to offer be sure to post it. Otherwise, I'll just ignore you.

Did you not get any this morning? ;)

Lighten up!

Necro wrote: »
    Casey does strike me as a very populist type of candidate. I can see why Sinn Fein supporters might have cause for concern.

Dunno if I'd vote for him though. I don't like the talk about leaving the single currency at all. As I said earlier in the thread, there's a smack of JRM off it.

A similarity with Rees Mogg?? That's very hard to see from an Irish perspective - poles apart in terms of background, personality and likeability.

Casey whether you like it or not, represents a fair swathe of 'middle Ireland'. Of course there's a difference between what people think and what can be done, but he did well enough in the PE against virtually the entire weight of the Irish media and other parties.

If Rees Mogg were to stand in some equivalent UK election, the ordinary Brit would look askance at him.

Very early to make predictions but I'd say it'll be:
    1. Mairead McGuinness
    2. Matt Carthy
    3. Ming.
    4. One of the FF candidates.

Carthy

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What do we make of the candidates intention to lobby for us leaving the Eurozone?
    Returning to using the punt and if we crash and burn then at least we won't be buying Mercs and BMW's from the Germans...I think was his reasoning.

• Advertisement

Is that just the NW region, pheobas?

Edit: and midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Ming who? He's been practically invisible as well as yer man down in Cork for the last several years. You don't hear that much of the rest but they do crop up from time to time.

Not sure why Peter Casey would want to be elected to the EP, unless it's a platform to launch a new party here and get into the D.

Hear Mick Wallace is also thinking that way, maybe he sees the writing on the wall as regards representing Wexford.

You can guarantee you will see plenty of him for the next couple of weeks.
    I hope someone in media asks him about ''the politicians get paid to much'' line he had before he was elected a TD.Only taking half his wages and the other half going to local causes.He takes his full salary now,So much for man of the people.

mgn wrote: »
    You can guarantee you will see plenty of him for the next couple of weeks.
    I hope someone in media asks him about ''the politicians get paid to much'' line he had before he was elected a TD.Only taking half his wages and the other half going to local causes.He takes his full salary now,So much for man of the people.

Casey is intending to use his EU wage to pay his son's 78,000e school fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I have no problem with that at least he is straight about it.

Should a person not use their wage on their family?

Should a person not use their wage on their family?

No problem with it at all. Wouldn't I love to be able to spend most of my wage on just one of my children.

No problem with it at all. Wouldn't I love to be able to spend most of my wage on just one of my children.

That’s the way of the world though. Casey didn’t have a privaledge upbringing, did he? Majority of parents say they would like their children to have the best opportunities in life and if I had found myself in financially able, I would have invested more in their education.

I’d put that as a positive rather than a negative trait for Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A good quality private education has been the makings of many of our current TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

1. Mairead McGuinness
    2. Matt Carthy
    3. Ming.

First three for sure, seat number 4 may be a scrap.

is_that_so wrote: »
    First three for sure, seat number 4 may be a scrap.

FF were unlucky the last time, they had two reasonably high profile candidates who both polled well but probably split their vote.

Casey and Ming come from very different places, but they are both what might be described as anti-establishment / stick it to the man type candidates and would both be euroskeptic, so they might be fishing in the same pond.

• Advertisement

FF were unlucky the last time, they had two reasonably high profile candidates who both polled well but probably split their vote.

Casey and Ming come from very different places, but they are both what might be described as anti-establishment / stick it to the man type candidates and would both be euroskeptic, so they might be fishing in the same pond.
    I don't think they are. Ming topped the poll so he has a base to defend. Casey is in because Harkin is out. I know little about the FF candidates but they'd fancy that fourth seat. His ability to win transfers has not been tested yet nor has his ability to compete with party machines campaigning properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bar being in favour of cutting turf, ming sits comfortably with the views of any D4 liberal

The man is a tedious Jack in the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Can't see any bet market options for Casey's performance in the EUE,
    perhaps he would be too difficult to price/assess performance wise.
    The only slightly relative market is for FG 1.5 most seats.

However, one slightly related renegade type bet I have glued into the monthly accas,
    is for uks new 'the Brexit party' @2.25. Subjective views on them are irrelevant,
    simply calculate that they perform well given the circumstances.

Assesment is very close to certainty (80% sure thing) of most seats, with 225%ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

1. Mairead McGuinness
    2. Matt Carthy
    3. Ming.

Only problem with that list is if you vote Carthy you will get him for a few months because he will run in Cavan Monaghan in the General Election and replace the current SF candidate (who could bore for Ireland).
    If Britain has left the EU at that stage it is likely that SF will have Mini Skirt Martina listed as Carthy's replacement. If Britain hasnt left SF will have some other loolah lined up for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I was just about to mention the same.

Matt is just passing time til the GE and he gets Caoimhín Ó Caoláins seat. His many signs for his many public meetings have been a notable feature round home for the last few years.

Actually him and Brendan Smith will pass each other going in different directions:pac:

Edgware wrote: »
    Only problem with that list is if you vote Carthy you will get him for a few months because he will run in Cavan Monaghan in the General Election and replace the current SF candidate (who could bore for Ireland).
    If Britain has left the EU at that stage it is likely that SF will have Mini Skirt Martina listed as Carthy's replacement. If Britain hasnt left SF will have some other loolah lined up for the job
    Next year at the earliest, not in a few months but he's pretty much a given here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,701 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mgn wrote:
    You can guarantee you will see plenty of him for the next couple of weeks. I hope someone in media asks him about ''the politicians get paid to much'' line he had before he was elected a TD.Only taking half his wages and the other half going to local causes.He takes his full salary now,So much for man of the people.
    Let me get this right, he gave away half his wages while a TD and now he keeps his full wage as a MEP and that's a reason to castigate him?
    What about all the TD's and MEP's who always kept their full wage?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Let me get this right, he gave away half his wages while a TD and now he keeps his full wage as a MEP and that's a reason to castigate him?
    What about all the TD's and MEP's who always kept their full wage?

They are all entitled to do what they want with their wages. If some of them give half of their wages away, that doesn't save the taxpayers any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So noonne rates Maria Walshe the former winner of the lovely girl contest as having a chance, yet she has all the lastest buzzwords and down with the kids policies.

• Advertisement

Walsh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement