Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So noonne rates Maria Walshe the former winner of the lovely girl contest as having a chance, yet she has all the lastest buzzwords and down with the kids policies.

She can't be any worse than the old guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I doubt there is much interest in coming out of the EU in the Midlands NW constituency. Might have gotten a bit of traction in the Dublin constituency.

Have FF indicated who is standing for them? A well known Donegal based candidate and Casey's chances would be toast.

Anne Rabbitte, Galway TD and Brendan Smith, Cavan Monaghan TD are running for FF

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anne Rabbitte, Galway TD and Brendan Smith, Cavan Monaghan TD are running for FF

Smith would certainly have a good base in C/M to work from. He has put in the work as a local rep. for many years.

Don't know much about Rabbitte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He wants to ban single use plastics, that will mean more tax for consumers if he’s successful.

I agree with his views on travellers, but unless he comes up with an alternative to single use plastics we’ll all have to pay for it.

His starting point should be to run for local election.

To be fair, if we are serious about tackling major environmental problems we will need to change our lifestyle or pay the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Edgware wrote: »
    We could have an election at any time. If Brexit goes ahead by the middle of May Varadkar could pull the plug very soon. Does he want to face another winter of trolleys and increasing homeless lists?

That happens every year and unless people on trolleys start dying it's just the same old stuff. Homeless issue is not as potent as it was despite the best efforts of the advocacy groups and more housing is coming on-stream. The Brexit comment made me smile. Really? After all this time you imagine them coming up with a solution in a few weeks. More likely to see a UK election before that is agreed and the Dail is general wants to get past the whole pustulent boil of Brexit before turning on each other. So no not this year.

• Advertisement

I doubt there is much interest in coming out of the EU in the Midlands NW constituency. Might have gotten a bit of traction in the Dublin constituency.

Have FF indicated who is standing for them? A well known Donegal based candidate and Casey's chances would be toast.

You're thinking far too small. It's a massive constituency. Donegal will have little impact in terms of numbers. FF look to have covered both sides of it with their choices and the inevitable transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Augme

Casey in European Parliament will be gold, my only criticism is I can't vote for him based on where I live.

What exactly will be "gold" about it?

is_that_so wrote: »
    You're thinking far too small. It's a massive constituency. Donegal will have little impact in terms of numbers. FF look to have covered both sides of it with their choices and the inevitable transfers.

I was talking about negating Casey's home vote if it comes down to the last seat.

Although Casey hasn't really done any actual work in his home constituency that I am aware of, so maybe there isn't a core vote in Donegal for him.

I was talking about negating Casey's home vote if it comes down to the last seat.

Although Casey hasn't really done any actual work in his home constituency that I am aware of, so maybe there isn't a core vote in Donegal for him.
    If there is a core vote it will have long dissipated if he gets to compete for a final seat. Of more relevance is how many people will give him lower preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,548 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

is_that_so wrote:
    If there is a core vote it will have long dissipated if he gets to compete for a final seat. Of more relevance is how many people will give him lower preferences.
    Casey is the most well known candidate in the field. He has votes in every county from his presidential run.
    Every district court in that constituency is full of travellers so lots of victims of traveller crime. Who will they vote for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I hope he doesn’t get a seat for Europe and runs for the dail. Those establishment rats will only change when they lose votes and seats

The six hundred million or so that gets wasted on blowing up the outrageous welfare budget every year. Can go towards affordable childcare, housing , policing , income tax cuts!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I hope he doesn’t get a seat for Europe and runs for the dail. Those establishment rats will only change when they lose votes and seats

The six hundred million or so that gets wasted on blowing up the outrageous welfare budget every year. Can go towards affordable childcare, housing , policing , income tax cuts!

Casey's ambition was to join FF. :D

What a fabulous con he is running really.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It would be nice to have an Irish voice in Europe that doesn't just nod and agree to whatever is put to them.

Luke Ming Flanagan is that guy. Check out his instagram content. Lad is over in Europe, actively participating from an Irish perspective and has a good grasp of the issues and how they manifest and develop within the EU process. Even if you didn't agree with his politics, it's clear that he's a genuine candidate genuinely providing representation within the parliament to which he has been elected.

Casey is objectively lessor informed, less articulate, less able. There are lots of soundbites in this thread, but the first thing people would ideally ask is what is a candidate talking about and can they influence their agenda within the office they are seeking. Casey doesn't pass such basic muster. He's an opportunist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Casey's ambition was to join FF. :D

What a fabulous con he is running really.

Yeah. Ffg are the biggest joke going. He would have ridiculous levels of media publicity, worth a fortune. Anyone who cares about changing the country for the better, obviously wouldn’t be going into dare I say any of the existing parties.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Casey is the most well known candidate in the field. He has votes in every county from his presidential run.
    Every district court in that constituency is full of travellers so lots of victims of traveller crime. Who will they vote for?

And, as a member of the European parliament, how is he going to help solve this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Augme wrote: »
    And, as a member of the European parliament, how is he going to help solve this issue?
    How is Ming going to legalise cannabis, or stop the conservation of bogs in Ireland?
    Your argument appears to be based on the uselessness of MEPs in general (and I won't disagree with that). But it is not an argument against Casey.

Don't vote at all, if that's the way you feel.

How is he going to solve 'it' when he doesn't want to talk about it anymore. And furthermore, never had any solutions to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Luke Ming Flanagan is that guy. Check out his instagram content. Lad is over in Europe, actively participating from an Irish perspective and has a good grasp of the issues and how they manifest and develop within the EU process. Even if you didn't agree with his politics, it's clear that he's a genuine candidate genuinely providing representation within the parliament to which he has been elected.

Casey is objectively lessor informed, less articulate, less able. There are lots of soundbites in this thread, but the first thing people would ideally ask is what is a candidate talking about and can they influence their agenda within the office they are seeking. Casey doesn't pass such basic muster. He's an opportunist.

Are you afraid Casey might take some votes from Ming.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,548 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Augme wrote:
    I'm not saying he will do anything in Europe. I'm just stating that he will get elected and likely first to get elected.

recedite wrote: »
    How is Ming going to legalise cannabis, or stop the conservation of bogs in Ireland?
    Your argument appears to be based on the uselessness of MEPs in general (and I won't disagree with that). But it is not an argument against Casey.

Don't vote at all, if that's the way you feel.

Is the bog issue not something that has directly come from European directive? Hence the benefits of fighting his issue as an MEP rather than a TD.

If you are going to vote for a MEP it makes sense to vote for Ines who taken issue with something in a European level. Even legalising cannabis somewhat makes sense I'm sure there are plenty of French, Germans etc who want it legalised.

I still fail to grasp how becoming an MEP will help of influence traveller crime in rural Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So noonne rates Maria Walshe the former winner of the lovely girl contest as having a chance, yet she has all the lastest buzzwords and down with the kids policies.

My parents are going to give Maria Walsh their first preference. And my folks are pretty conservative. But they like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I agree. He's also extremely active on social media as well and tends to engage with most comments made on his stuff.

I would say he's doing a pretty good job in general and there aren't any party politics at play. I would vote for him over most other candidates.

Undividual wrote: »
    That's not what his dreams should be
    Under-appreciated post.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not saying he will do anything in Europe. I'm just stating that he will get elected and likely first to get elected.

Be the first elected in the constituency? Doubtful. I think he has a good shot at getting elected but it’ll likely be the last seat going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I agree. He's also extremely active on social media as well and tends to engage with most comments made on his stuff.

I would say he's doing a pretty good job in general and there aren't any party politics at play. I would vote for him over most other candidates.

He belongs to the same political grouping in the Parliament as Sinn Fein. They are very left wing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_United_Left%E2%80%93Nordic_Green_Left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Is the bog issue not something that has directly come from European directive? Hence the benefits of fighting his issue as an MEP rather than a TD.
    Fair point, but he may as well promise to turn back time. Hence he does not even bother fighting the issue when in Brussels. He uses whatever political clout he has locally, to prevent EU rules being enforced at a local level.

Now contrast with what Casey says, as reported in the OP.
    Peter Casey is to contest the European elections on a platform that seeks to change the immigration system and end the rural-urban divide
    Not sure what the second part means, but the first part will be a hot issue in the next sitting of the EP. Hungary was recently censured for refusing mandatory EU immigration quotas, and with Casey potentially sitting alongside Orban's Fidesz MEPs as well as Varadkar's Fine Gael MEPs in the the European Peoples Party, theoretically he could even play a pivotal role.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

recedite wrote: »
    Hence he does not even bother fighting the issue when in Brussels. He uses whatever political clout he has locally, to prevent EU rules being enforced at a local level.

A lawmaker why tries to stop the laws he doesn't like from being enforced!
    Sounds anti democratic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Phoebas wrote: »
    A lawmaker why tries to stop the laws he doesn't like from being enforced!
    Sounds anti democratic to me.

EU Directives that don't suit a country or are politically unpalatable are frustrated and stymied by national governments routinely. It's normal procedure - national govs have a large degree of latitude how to implement them.

But let's give the fella with the beard and long hair who does what he said he was going to do pre-election a hard time though because he's not a nodding dog.

I honestly think loads of people don't like Ming because of his appearance. They presume he's useless because he wears a cable-knit jumper and the others must be competent because they have navy suits and starched shirts.

Yurt! wrote: »
    EU Directives that don't suit a country or are politically unpalatable are frustrated and stymied by national governments routinely. It's normal procedure - national govs have a large degree of latitude how to implement them.

But let's give the fella with the beard and long hair who does what he said he was going to do pre-election a hard time though because he's not a nodding dog.

I honestly think loads of people don't like Ming because of his appearance. They presume he's useless because he wears a cable-knit jumper and the others must be competent because they have navy suits and starched shirts.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Now, he wouldn’t be my first preference if I was in that constituency. But I have family in it, lots of them and he is absolutely dismissed by many of them solely because of his appearance. “That aul beardy eejit” kinda attitude.

But, well, I guess that’s democracy. People can vote for who they like, for whatever reason they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is only one picture on the internet that I saw with Peter Casey with no tie on. All the others have him in very neat suits and ties. He should do well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement