Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our dog bit my 7 year old in the face

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Censored11 wrote: »
    Yes your dog was enjoying the bone and didn't want to share.
    What should you do to prevent it happening again: keep your child away from the dog while its enjoying its bone.
    This is common sense stuff op.

I just saw this thread on the front page and your post was the first one that had a bit of cop on.

It’s a dog, it’s not human. It’s doesn’t want to share & it doesn’t want you staring at it as it eats.

People asking for the dog to be put to sleep ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Awful situation OP. I can only offer my opinion. I would have the dog PTS.
    We had our first dog when our youngest child was 6yo. I used to literally put my face into the dog bowl with him (a Wheaten Terrier) and pretend to eat his food to check if he was getting possessive / would nip. He never did. Kids could pull his tail, invade personal space etc etc, there was never a problem, he was a wonderful dog in the house.
    And that I guess that's the type of dog you want in your house, which you are far more likely to get by carefully researching breeds and breeders, and doing the right training, as opposed to trying to fix what you have. Wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I’m honestly shocked at the amount of posters saying put the dog to sleep after one incident .. totally avoidable and the humans at fault?

There is no hope for most family pets if that’s the case .. there are dogs .. don’t speak English.. yet we expect so so much from them in terms of manners etc when we don’t communicate properly or effectively with them!

Madness!

OP contact a professional (a proper registered trainer) not people on the internet.. have your dog assessed

Discussing whether to kill your dog over the internet with no proper professional intervention is completely unfair on the dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

Bullsh1t DBB. I've had dogs as pets since I was born 38 yrs ago and its always been known to leave the dogs alone when they're eating.
    Please dont get your dog put to sleep/put down over one incident.
    Anyway Im out. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Op I think u need to give more detail. What breed ...what age....how long u have dog. Did u see incident or surmise what happened.

It's not always as clear cut as saying the dog has to be put down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

deandean wrote: »
    We had our first dog when our youngest child was 6yo. I used to literally put my face into the dog bowl with him (a Wheaten Terrier) and pretend to eat his food to check if he was getting possessive / would nip. He never did. Kids could pull his tail, invade personal space etc etc, there was never a problem, he was a wonderful dog in the house.
    And that I guess that's the type of dog you want in your house, which you are far more likely to get by carefully researching breeds and breeders, and doing the right training, as opposed to trying to fix what you have. Wishing you all the best.

Kids could pull his tail etc .. no bother..
    sweet Jesus the poor dog

Am I actually reading that correctly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

There is a no medical advice rule on Boards yet posters are free to give their unverified, uneducated opinion that an animal should be killed without even knowing the circumstances of the incident. Surely a locked sticky with professional advice on what to do in such situations is better than this free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

To be honest when it happened, the more (I think) sensible side of me was thinking the dog never does this, and my son never watched him bite a bone before and so the dog doesn't want to hurt my son but is instinctively guarding the bone. Other than that my son and the dog always play together and the dog has a strange attachment to him for years now. My initial dealing with it is just to ensure they leave the dog alone when he's chewing on something like that.

It's a tough decision and I know I'm going to lose sleep over it.

Is it any wonder I have high blood pressure reading stuff like these.

Don’t ever get another dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cocker5 wrote: »
    Kids could pull his tail etc .. no bother..
    sweet Jesus the poor dog

Am I actually reading that correctly???

Yeah. It's embarrassing really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Censored11 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t DBB. I've had dogs as pets since I was born 38 yrs ago and its always been known to leave the dogs alone when they're eating.
    Please dont get your dog put to sleep/put down over one incident.
    Anyway Im out. Enough said.

I'm not sure what I said to prompt this response?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

When I was a kid if the family pet nipped one of us while we we close enough to be nipped when they were eating a bone we would have been told off. And rightly so.

OP, I have 5 dogs - 4 rescues, one of whom was very reactive and terrified of children. I also have 2 grandchildren. They have been taught to leave the dogs alone while they are eating. None of the dogs are food aggressive but then they are also not being stressed while eating.

Yes. Absolutely keep and eye on things but to have a dog killed for being a dog is, in my opinion, an overreaction.

Many years ago I had a placid old jack. She nipped a neighbour's child. I was in dread of the child's mother's reaction. Her reaction was to ask the child what she had done to the dog. At first the child insisted she did nothing, but eventually admitted she had pulled my dog's tail while she was sound asleep on the sofa. My dog snapped - bit too strong a word tbh. Child was told (by her mother) in no uncertain terms that she should not have done that and now she has learned that pulling the tail of a sleeping dog is a bad thing to do.

Some of the posters here would have insisted my dog be killed. For reacting to provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Kids could pull his tail, invade personal space etc etc, there was never a problem, he was a wonderful dog in the house.

ummm, wtf????

Why would you allow this? You're so lucky that dog never snapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I am fascinated by this thread, I don't want to date myself but I am not that old and "don't ever mess with dogs' food" was the teaching I kept hearing as a child from pretty much everyone. Is it really not a thing anymore?

I would also be completely crushed as a school age child if my dog was put down or given away in such situation. Consider the impact on your child OP. Will you teach him to keep his distance for eating dogs now? Will he understand the connection between that and the disappearance of the dog? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Op I think u need to give more detail. What breed ...what age....how long u have dog. Did u see incident or surmise what happened.

For the mod up above I'm from Dundalk. The dog is a cross between a spaniel and perhaps a collie and he's about 6 year old. He was a rescue dog from a local lady initially given to my dad but I decided I liked him so much we swapped over dogs and certs etc etc.

His behaviours since we have known him this last 5 years? He jumps up on people looking to get petted. All he ever wants is for me to pet him. He's never in all the years we've had him been aggressive with anyone just with other dogs as we pass them on the leash.

I didn't see the incident because I was in the kitchen. Initially I heard my son cry, I rushed to ask him the problem and I suggested that maybe the dog jumped up on him and scratched him with his nail or something but my son said he was looking down on him eating his bone and without warning he lifted his head and bit him real quick. There was no growling, no barking or anything of the sort. We have never given the dog a bone as long as we've owned him and only ever fed him dry food from the bowl. But a few days ago my wife comes home from the shop with a bone of a pigs leg or foot and that's his first time ever owning a bone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You have two choices.

1. Kill the dog and never get a pet again. This is not the only option as other have said.

2. Use it as a lesson, and opportunity both for yourself and to teach your child how to behave around animals and to recognize when the dog is uncomfortable. A dog is a gift, but also an animal not a teddy bear and should be respected as such.

Some useful advice from the HSE:

Teach children that dogs will signal their stress before biting – including looking away from the source of stress, moving away, staring, lifting their lip into an Elvis curl, growling, snarling, pretend bite, lunging forward and finally a real bite.

Do not punish a dog for signalling its stress like this - it is simply trying to issue a warning.

Dogs, as a general rule, hate hugs and kisses.

Children should never, ever put their face near a dog's muzzle (mouth and nose).

Dogs confuse new born babies with toys – always keep infants well out of a dog's reach.

Never, ever corner a dog.

However I think you had already made your mind up before starting this thread and were looking for affirmation more than advice.

Edit: Just reading your post above, you are taking your 7 year olds word for it that there was no warning (perhaps he didn't recognize the warning, showing teeth etc.)

DBB wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I said to prompt this response?!

Look apologies ok. I just don't think they need a dog expert or quack to go through issues.
    Its just so simple. The dog was protecting its bone. That's it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So, if I'm reading this correctly and forgive me if i misinterpreted what you've written, but you actively provoked your dog to see if he would bite, you also allowed the kids to pull his tail, at least the dog had the wits about him to not allow himself to be provoked, especially with the type of owners who seemingly were only waiting for the poor creature to slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the_syco wrote: »
    If it was resource guarding, it would have growled or barked at your son.

From your description of the wound, I'd say the dog nipped your son.

TBH, you should rehome the dog, and do NOT get another dog, as your son doesn't capable of reading dogs behaviour.

Did you just blame the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

lawred2 wrote: »
    Did you just blame the child?

99% of the time the child is winding up the dog leading to a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

You have two choices.

1. Kill the dog and never get a pet again. This is not the only option as other have said.

2. Use it as a lesson, and opportunity both for yourself and to teach your child how to behave around animals and to recognize when the dog is uncomfortable. A dog is a gift, but also an animal not a teddy bear and should be respected as such.

Some useful advice from the HSE:

Teach children that dogs will signal their stress before biting – including looking away from the source of stress, moving away, staring, lifting their lip into an Elvis curl, growling, snarling, pretend bite, lunging forward and finally a real bite.

Do not punish a dog for signalling its stress like this - it is simply trying to issue a warning.

Dogs, as a general rule, hate hugs and kisses.

Children should never, ever put their face near a dog's muzzle (mouth and nose).

Dogs confuse new born babies with toys – always keep infants well out of a dog's reach.

Never, ever corner a dog.

However I think you had already made your mind up before starting this thread and were looking for affirmation more than advice.

Edit: Just reading your post above, you are taking your 7 year olds word for it that there was no warning (perhaps he didn't recognize the warning, showing teeth etc.)

Do dogs hate getting a kiss on the top of their head?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

We have never given the dog a bone as long as we've owned him and only ever fed him dry food from the bowl. But a few days ago my wife comes home from the shop with a bone of a pigs leg or foot and that's his first time ever owning a bone.

And there you have it. An unusual high value treat which must feel like heaven to the dog, and a child getting in your dog's face. Honestly you'd be better served by getting a basic dog owner book and working through it with your child over a couple of evenings to make sure that you all have some ground rules laid out and it never happens again.

As a tip, some people would only give such special treats to dogs when they are out back or in the utility room. Dogs can go nuts enjoying them, shaking them or dragging them around etc. Leave them to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

fin12 wrote: »
    Do dogs hate getting a kiss on the top of their head?

Some do, some don't. Same as people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Some do, some don't. Same as people.

Ya I give one sometimes to our nearly 10 month old golden retriever. She’s so affectionate and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

I had a dog bite me few years ago walking home from the bus. Shocked me a lot and I grew up on a farm so was used of dogs etc.. I thought nothing much of it till a neighbor approached me and said he'd been bitten to by same dog and he asked me would I report to the guards.. I went to the guards as lots of kids played around the estate and I didn't want the same happening to a child. It's an unfortunate incident but the fact it's happened once means it may happen again. I'd be looking at putting the dog up for adoption and see if someone takes him on. It's just not worth the risk of it maybe happening again.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We have a jacket Russel ourselves for about 6 years now and the kids and my wife will be in bits whenever anything happens to him. it's not an easy situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Is it any wonder I have high blood pressure reading stuff like these.

Don’t ever get another dog.

OP, take this advice, if the dog survives and you decide to let it live try and teach some basic lessons to your child, you have to shoulder a large portion of blame here in that you should have warned your son not to go near a dog when they're eating, its parenting 101 if you have a dog, if you decide to put down the dog, please do the animal world a favour and never again get a pet as common sense plays a big part in responsible guardianship of pets and children, and as the saying goes, theres nothing common about common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

99% of the time the child is winding up the dog leading to a reaction

So what? It's a child. Children do things without understanding that what they are doing could be aggravating. Not the child's fault. Not much more responsible than the dog.

An adult however who is casual about their children's behaviour around dogs (which can be very dangerous animals) is plain irresponsible and asking for trouble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

For the mod up above I'm from Dundalk.
    I will pm you with some options.
    ... but my son said he was looking down on him eating his bone and without warning he lifted his head and bit him real quick. There was no growling, no barking or anything of the sort.

You see, here's where the misinformation you've received here is putting you wrong. I can absolutely 100% guarantee that your dog gave warnings. But, your son didn't spot them. Things like freezing, placing the muzzle across the guarded item, maybe placing a paw over the item, showing the whites of the eyes whilst keeping the head still, lip-licking... Easy to miss if, as your young lad says, he was looking at the dog from above?
    There's a reasonable likelihood that the dog will have done a barely audible, throaty grumble that wasn't heard too.
    Anyway... Growling is just one in a list of things that can happen as a dog starts to get peed off, but it's absence categorically does not mean that there were no other warnings.
    This is not to "blame" your young lad, not at all... One of the main reasons kids get bitten a lot more than adults do, is because they don't tend to be great at spotting canine signals that the dog is saying "back off, kiddo"... And in this case, if your son was standing over the dog, it's perfectly reasonable to think that even if he knew the signs, he wouldn't have spotted them.

We have never given the dog a bone as long as we've owned him and only ever fed him dry food from the bowl. But a few days ago my wife comes home from the shop with a bone of a pigs leg or foot and that's his first time ever owning a bone.

Bones can bring out the worst in the gentlest of dogs. In such cases, the solution to preventing resource guarding of a bone, is not to give bones! Again, it sounds from what you've said that your dog has never given you cause for concern around people... In which case your young lad will never have seen his warning signs, and therefore not have recognised them for what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm at a loss to understand how you could even question this.

An animal that poses a threat to your child should be dealt with immediately.

You were lucky this time, coukd be much worse next time - why take the risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

When I was around 8 or 9 years old, I was messing with my Jack Russell, he had a bone and I was pushing it with my foot. I'd do the same with a toy and it was playful but when it was with a bone, he snapped at my foot and bit me. It hurt like ****, skin broken through my runner but sure I survived and we went on to be best buddies until he died at the ripe old age of 16. I never messed with his bone again.

If my dad went and had the dog killed over this, I would have been devastated. The lesson I would've learned would be that I can act the bollix and someone else would face the consequences.

OP, you should apologise to the dog for even considering killing him. Tell your kid not to bother him when he had food/ bone again and let the two of them continue being buddies. Dogs are such wonderful companions for all ages.

• Advertisement

I'm at a loss to understand how you could even question this.

An animal that poses a threat to your child should be dealt with immediately.

You were lucky this time, coukd be much worse next time - why take the risk?

Aw seriously cannotlogin.
    "Dealt with" for acting naturally....
    Im going to bed :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement