Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our dog bit my 7 year old in the face

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Please, do not tell the OP to google how your kids need to be "top of the pack"
    Please, just No!!

I didn't say the kid needs to be top of the pack. I said there are ways to show the dog they are i.e so that the dog knows they are at the bottom of the pecking order.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mickdw wrote: »
    Ah ya far better to sit the dog down and explain in its chosen language that it had in fact acted in a manner than was not acceptable. You could then finish the conversation by asking that they didn't do it again or if they did to make sure that they covered their arse by making sure that the child had at least ignored 3 warning signs because then there is not a court in the land that could put it to death.
    On no account use a little slap to reinforce the wrong doing.

This forum will not be used as a medium for people to advocate hitting dogs. It's very clear in the charter. If you'd prefer a more hard-handed approach was taken, by all means communicate this via your own blog or a forum that permits it. But not here.
    Another clear rule of this forum, which I helpfully posted in a mod warning earlier this evening, is that posters are required to be respectful towards one another, even if they don't agree with each other. Not only is your sarcasm completely wide of this mark, your smartarsery in response to a mod warning just goes beyond the beyond.
    Don't post in this thread again.
    Thanks
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we had an incident like this with our jack Russell years ago when our daughtet was young.
    she survived and we were willing to accept that it was a flaw in his character that we ,including the kids, were willing to live with and we were always aware that it had a possibility of happening again so avoided situations where it could occur.

it never stopped us loving him and feeling great sadness when he died of heart disease 4 years ago. we talk about him often and remember him with love. our family pet. our choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Most dog owners are bad dog owners.

Sad but true.

The fact this happened once means you're not fit to own a dog.

antix80 wrote: »
    Most dog owners are bad dog owners.

Sad but true.

The fact this happened once means you're not fit to own a dog.

There have been a few posts throughout telling the op that they shouldn't own a dog. This breaches the rule about being respectful towards other posters and is really quite a hurtful thing to say.
    So. Let this be the last such post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm just horrified at the knee jerk completely over the top reaction of some posters wanting the animal destroyed because it was doing what an animal does, guarding its territory. If that's the case no children should ever be around animals as dogs may bite and cats may scratch. But deprive a child of the pleasure of a pet and you deprive them of something deeply enriching.

OP,it's your call if you don't feel comfortable keeping the dog, but for the love of god don't have the poor creature killed over this!

Folks, we're going to lock this thread until the morning, when we'll consider our options re re-opening it.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement