Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our dog bit my 7 year old in the face

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And what should I do to prevent this from happening again .

The only thing you can do to he sure of it never happening again.

Vietnamese stew.

PLEASE DONT EDIT YOUR POSTS AFTER RECEIVING A MOD WARNING--Hellrazer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

mickdw wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line, will it take the loss of sons eye or maybe an ear?
    The key line is - They don't think like humans. Therefore if showing any dangerous trait, they have to go.

Ah come off it will ye. Its not a dangerous trait, it's nature.
    I've taught my kids to know never to go near the dogs while they are eating.
    I say again, it's common sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jesus Christ threads like these are a magnet for morons that are never seen in this forum otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

If it's too late to bring him in tonight, do it at home and bring him in tomorrow. 6 hours is the usual timeframe for disinfection

I wiped it good and twice with an alcohol wipe. I'll take him again in the morning. How do I get the dog put down? Do I contact the local pound and how much does it cost anyone know?

Censored11 wrote: »
    Why is everyone so quick to want the family pet put to sleep?.

Who's sleeping?
    They are talking about killing the dog. Big difference between death and sleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Our 5 year old jack Russell nipped our 2 year old son on the face when he went too close to his feeding bowl, we spent a few weeks of torture deciding what to do while the dog stayed in another house. We eventually got him put to sleep, we sat in the vets with him while it was done and it was utterly horrific but was the only option unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is your child covered by tetanus?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I wiped it good and twice with an alcohol wipe. I'll take him again in the morning. How do I get the dog put down? Do I contact the local pound and how much does it cost anyone know?

Why don't you contact a rescue and describe the situation truthfully. Dogs can be successfully rehomed, food guarding is very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Jesus Christ. Just give the dog to someone else or a pound. He does not deserve to die.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Who's sleeping?
    They are talking about killing the dog. Big difference between death and sleep

Same thing ye dope...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ah come off it will ye. Its not a dangerous trait, it's nature.
    I've taught my kids to know never to go near the dogs while they are eating.
    I say again, it's common sense!

Most parents do that I would have thought

givyjoe wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Just give the dog to someone else or a pound. He does not deserve to die.

My dad told me to ring the pound in the morning and that they will take him.

Same thing ye dope...

Less of the personal abuse please.

And it's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Anon5555

Our lab is the most placid dog on the planet-literally will allow hens to bully him but with food he’s not. He growls and snaps which is literally the only time he grows. We got him too old to train him out of it and don’t have any young kids. However the fact he didn’t give a warning and went for the face would make me very very uncomfortable. Try rehome him to people with no kids but be careful they know the situation. It’s too dangerous to risk further as heart breaking as it is!

To be honest when it happened, the more (I think) sensible side of me was thinking the dog never does this, and my son never watched him bite a bone before and so the dog doesn't want to hurt my son but is instinctively guarding the bone. Other than that my son and the dog always play together and the dog has a strange attachment to him for years now. My initial dealing with it is just to ensure they leave the dog alone when he's chewing on something like that.

It's a tough decision and I know I'm going to lose sleep over it.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Less of the personal abuse please.

And it's not the same thing.

So putting a dog to sleep and ending its life is not the same thing, in this context?
    Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I would recommend that you take your son to a doctor. If he had been bitten by someone else's dog, you probably would've already brought him.

It might be worth calling <snip>/dog shelter for advice on what to do about the dog. They'll have experience with that kind of situation and will be able to steer you a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭elperello

how.gareth wrote: »
    Our 5 year old jack Russell nipped our 2 year old son on the face when he went too close to his feeding bowl, we spent a few weeks of torture deciding what to do while the dog stayed in another house. We eventually got him put to sleep, we sat in the vets with him while it was done and it was utterly horrific but was the only option unfortunately

I have been in on a few "exits" over the years, sometimes my own dogs sometimes other peoples.
    I was dreading it the first time but having witnessed it I lost all fear.
    The dogs just don't know. The ones that don't like the vet surgery fret as usual.
    When the time comes and you have to it's the right thing to do and please don't be afraid to be there.

(I don't think this dog needs putting down, re-homing maybe, ultimately OP's call.)

Dogs might also develop food guarding behaviour as they get older and their mobility and eyesight becomes affected so they become more protective of their food. I thought it was common knowledge and dog training 101 but I'll throw it in here just in case it's news to anyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

SeveOB, using expressions like "Vietnamese stew" is deeply insensitive.
    Censored11, calling people names is not permitted.

Folks... There is a requirement on this forum that people treat each other with respect, even if you don't agree with each other.
    This thread will be closed if there's any more snippy, sarcastic, distasteful or argumentative posting, and people responsible for anything akin to the above will be carded or banned.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sorry this happened OP.. but completely avoidable .. why would you allow a child watch a dog chew a dog ..

There are numerous signs before a dog bite.. its the last action..

This is common sense related here .. do not allow your child near the dog when eating a bone .. it’s basic resource guarding OP and to be honest there would have been signs of this before now.. resource guarding doesn’t just pop up one night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I’m wondering why any dog pound or rescue Would want to take a dog which bit a child? Who would even risk taking a dog in that knowledge? With the hundred of dogs needing homes nobody will take him/her

Also OP you would have to be crazy to keep a dog like that around children...

cocker5 wrote: »
    Sorry this happened OP.. but completely avoidable .. why would you allow a child watch a dog chew a dog ..

There are numerous signs before a dog bite.. its the last action..

This is common sense related here .. do not allow your child near the dog when eating a bone .. it’s basic resource guarding OP and to be honest there would have been signs of this before now.. resource guarding doesn’t just pop up one night

I actually think it might, with age or bad experience. Not typical though I agree. Even with trained dogs I would keep children away at meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Why on earth would you let a child watch a dog eat a bone "in close proximity"? You're just asking for trouble.

One of my dogs used to growl if we walked too close when she was eating. The other dog will let you literally take food from his mouth and won't do anything, but I'd still never trust him with kids like that - you just never know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

To be honest when it happened, the more (I think) sensible side of me was thinking the dog never does this, and my son never watched him bite a bone before and so the dog doesn't want to hurt my son but is instinctively guarding the bone. Other than that my son and the dog always play together and the dog has a strange attachment to him for years now. My initial dealing with it is just to ensure they leave the dog alone when he's chewing on something like that.

It's a tough decision and I know I'm going to lose sleep over it.

It's a bad provocative situation, putting your face near an animal that's eating, your son didn't know any better since it's the first time and neither did the dog..

At least if you are not comfortable with him in your house with the child anymore though then get him rehomed, then they'll know his history, know that he's usually fine with people and put him with a family where something like this won't happen, someone without kids or very experienced owners

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the dog took the child's ear next month, could parent live with that?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I’m wondering why any dog pound or rescue Would want to take a dog which bit a child? Who would even risk taking a dog in that knowledge? With the hundred of dogs needing homes nobody will take him/her

Oh it happens a lot. Food guarding is common and rescues make people aware. A lot of advertised as "not suitable for a family with small children" rescued dogs are rehomed for this reason exactly.

Sorry for calling a poster a dope for thinking there's a difference between putting a dog to sleep & killing a dog.
    Is it not the same thing? Or am I going mad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I would definitely get rid of that dog. The child's safety has to come first and there's every chance the dog will bite again. If someone else's dog bit your child you wouldnt hesitate to demand it be put down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, with mod hat off, when it comes to dog bite threads here, everybody is suddenly an expert, and to be quite frank, there is some awful stuff being advised to you both here, and from what you've posted, in your real life too.
    Nobody on an Internet forum either can advise, or has the right to advise on what you need to do with your dog in the matter of an aggressive incident.
    The only really appropriate action right now is for you to talk to somebody who's both qualified and knowledgeable enough to be able to give you an objective and learned opinion on the risk your dog does, or doesn't, pose to your family members from this point on. By this, I mean that you need to talk to a qualified and professionally certified dog behaviourist. If you can tell us what part of the country you're in, I (or another objective poster) would be happy to recommend a suitable expert for you to talk to before you make any decisions.
    As it stands, I would not be allowing myself be influenced by what you've read on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement