Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our dog bit my 7 year old in the face

Options
  • 11-04-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

My dog is normally very placid and he never bites but this evening my 7 year old was watching him chew on his bone and he just lifted his head and bit him in the face. There was penetration of skin where blood was drawn but more like a scratch like you'd get shaving, and nothing deep at all.

I am guessing that my dog was guarding his bone and saw my son as a threat. Would I be correct in this assessment of the situation? And what should I do to prevent this from happening again because my dog is not a aggressive at all.

Another thing he tends to to do is that off the leash he won't fight with dogs but on the leash when passing dogs he goes crazy barking at them. Other than this he's not a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

My dog is normally very placid and he never bites but this evening my 7 year old was watching him chew on his bone and he just lifted his head and bit him in the face. There was penetration of skin where blood was drawn but more like a scratch like you'd get shaving, and nothing deep at all.

I am guessing that my dog was guarding his bone and saw my son as a threat. Would I be correct in this assessment of the situation? And what should I do to prevent this from happening again because my dog is not a aggressive at all.

Another thing he tends to to do is that off the leash he won't fight with dogs but on the leash when passing dogs he goes crazy barking at them. Other than this he's not a problem.

OP, I am an animal lover, don’t get me wrong... I just see your words ‘bit him in the face’..
    This is not good and I know what steps I would be taking tomorrow if I was you.
    Just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 little secret 1987

I would have the dog put down. I have 2 dogs myself but I also have 2 kids and their safety is more important. Hard as it is dog has to go

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it was resource guarding, it would have growled or barked at your son.

From your description of the wound, I'd say the dog nipped your son.

TBH, you should rehome the dog, and do NOT get another dog, as your son doesn't capable of reading dogs behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m not being mean but trying to help you see.

Other than he bit your child in the face unprovoked amd has gotten aggressive towards other dogs “he’s not a problem”

What is a problem, weeing on the carpet ??

This is a terrible place to be, but your pet is no longer safe to have about your kid or, even if you want to risk your own kid their are other kids your endangering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

Yes your dog was enjoying the bone and didn't want to share.
    What should you do to prevent it happening again: keep your child away from the dog while its enjoying its bone.
    This is common sense stuff op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Normally a dog will give an indication he is pissed off growling and maybe showing teeth. My dog is very placid but I would still always let him eat on his own away from the kids.
    If it was me I don’t think I could trust the dog again and for everyone’s sake I think you only have the one option. I love dogs and hate having to make that suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm glad that all replies here are sensible. Too often, these kind of threads get replies from absolute nuts who basically say - the poor dog, something must have frightened him.
    Get rid of the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Don't get rid of the dog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did you bring your son to the doctor to get the wound disinfected?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

I'm struggling between getting him re-homed or having him put down. I've never had to have a dog put down before what are the necessary steps to take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

did the child try to take the bone off the dog?

did the child try to take the bone of the dog?

No he was just in close proximity watching him chew it.

Did you bring your son to the doctor to get the wound disinfected?

No I just thought it was a scratch so cleaned it off here at home. Should I consdier taking him in then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

Why is everyone so quick to want the family pet put to sleep?
    Dogs are protective over their sh1t.
    They don't think like humans.
    Don't listen to posters advocating death for you pet over this.
    Its appalling really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Time to put down your son!

how close was your son that the dog could bite him in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did you actually see it happen?

No I just thought it was a scratch so cleaned it off here at home. Should I consdier taking him in then?

If there was blood I would say so, you do not want an infection on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When I was about 5 our dog nipped me on the face .
    Apparently I was invading his space under a table.
    My father hit him on the nose a couple of times and warned me not to do it again.
    We had him until he died of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Don't put your dog down! Jesus Christ! He can be rehomed and live happily with a family with older kids or adults. What breed is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Definitely make sure it is completely disinfected. Even a small cut from an animal bite is extremely likely to get infected, and the last thing you want is a facial scar on your child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dogs should put us humans down when we mistreat them, even accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Your childs safety is a million times more important than your emotional attachment to your dog. Remove the dog from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What are the specifics of the dog? Is it a big breed like a Pitbull, if so then count yourself lucky the injuries are not as severe as it could be because from what you wrote hopefully it won't leave your kid with any permanent scar.

I always maintain that dogs should not be allowed into houses as it is not hygienic or as seen in this instance safe for children. Dogs are inherently territorial and sees the child as invading on "its space". If it was me and the dog is a large breed I'd be going for Euthanasia, if it was a small dog, possible rehoming to a child free environment or a nice warm kennel down the far end of the garden with a chain. Either way the dog is no trust so should be kept away from the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Censored11 wrote: »
    Why is everyone so quick to want the family pet put to sleep?
    Dogs are protective over their sh1t.
    They don't think like humans.
    Don't listen to posters advocating death for you pet over this.
    Its appalling really.

Where do you draw the line, will it take the loss of sons eye or maybe an ear?
    The key line is - They don't think like humans. Therefore if showing any dangerous trait, they have to go.

If it's too late to bring him in tonight, do it at home and bring him in tomorrow. 6 hours is the usual timeframe for disinfection

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Very sad, hope your child is well.. unfortunately only one option for the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

AnguishedGreedyArmedcrab-size_restricted.gif

If this lil guy got a second chance I'm sure your dog will be fine. As long as its not a constant aggression towards kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Some dogs can be trained to allow family members to take food off them any time. All of my dogs give up food no problem but it's luck not only training. Training is simple but not all dogs respond; some dogs (surprisingly "family friendly" labradors can be notorious for that) will food guard religiously, maybe only give it up on occasion, and children need to be trained not to approach, you might need to isolate dogs for their meals if needed.

By the time your child is 7 you should really have this work done to protect the child as well as the dog.

If you simply destroy the dog but get another the same thing might happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

For the love of all things holy, don't kill the poor thing.

Dogs aren't animated cuddly toys, all cutesy wootsty all the time. Sometimes like us they are protective, pissed off, can lash out etc.

If he doesn't suit your family, give him to a loving home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement