Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of drugs

Options

Comments

greencap wrote: »
    reduced to name calling, roll eyes and sarcasm.

Yeah at least I'm attempting to contribute something revelant to the thread rather than pretending to be some no nonsense internet hard man
    Do those reagents test for PMA and so on? If they don't and only test positive for the presence of MDMA which I am guessing is the way it works as its not a purity test, is endorsement a good idea?

They do indeed test for PMA and PMMA - you won't know in what quantity but you'll still know your pills are adulterated
    Balanadan wrote: »

And for a third time, legality and morality are not the same thing.

Are you a parrot or something? Why do you keep repeating what I've already said back to me? I quite literally say it in the post you're responding to there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

I don't think necessarily it is a 'fear' of drugs, I think it is rightly a cautiousness about drugs. I will explain my complex thoughts below.

1) I think that cannabis/marijuana/hash etc. should be legalised, regulated and sold. Heavy taxes should be implemented on them like on smokes and booze to fund the health services, social services and educational programmes.

2) I think that *some* other drugs could be decriminalised for personal use a la the Portugal model. Perhaps MDMA and cocaine for example. Redirect policing resources to social services, health and education on the issues with drugs.

3) Socially I think that as a nation we are quite irresponsible with intoxicants. Just look at how we deal with alcohol for example. Some drugs could be tolerated but I disagree with the idea that it should be promoted or pushed as a desirable lifestyle. Many people will be able to have great trips and nights out etc but other people may not be able to for a number of reasons that we cannot even detect (a person's mental state for example). Therefore I think we need to be more responsible and mature regarding these types of conversations.

This comes from a man who has dabbled previously in the past but now lives fairly clean, with even little alcohol being consumed.

The comedown is less harsh than pills but it's not like acid or anything that's the only thing I've ever taken with zero comedown

Ah, acid. The best thing I've taken, but mixed with shltty legal alternatives to pills, changed me for years.

I'll take it again some day. I could probably do it today and be fine, but my Jesus, the effect that particular candy-flipping session had was severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ah, acid. The best thing I've taken, but mixed with shltty legal alternatives to pills, changed me for years.

I'll take it again some day. I could probably do it today and be fine, but my Jesus, the effect that particular candy-flipping session had was severe.

Yeah ill never take it while on pills with a bunch of peers that werent friends ever again.

I walked around acting really strange and started roaring crying and kicked everyone out..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

3) Socially I think that as a nation we are quite irresponsible with intoxicants. Just look at how we deal with alcohol for example. Some drugs could be tolerated but I disagree with the idea that it should be promoted or pushed as a desirable lifestyle. Many people will be able to have great trips and nights out etc but other people may not be able to for a number of reasons that we cannot even detect (a person's mental state for example). Therefore I think we need to be more responsible and mature regarding these types of conversations.

Intoxication is common across the world, including within highly conservative countries, it's a human issue, not just within Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I disagree. I think if you make something like weed easier to access, and relatively cheap to grow... then it will inevitably increase the amount of users and the amount of problem users who can't control themselves.

Sure most people won't even grow their own parsley and potatoes and that's easy as anything, there's a very significant time and money investment to grow plants in Ireland's climate.

As for easier to access, I don't think it's possible for it to be easier. Young ones are ordering bags of yokes over Snapchat and get it delivered to their door. I've been in situations plenty times where a house party was falling down with drugs and everyone was trying to figure out how to get more cans and tobacco. If what you're selling is prohibited anyway then it doesn't matter if you sell it at 9pm or 7am, to a 30 year old or a 16 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Intoxication is common across the world, including within highly conservative countries, it's a human issue, not just within Ireland

Are you seriously trying to say that its not more of an issue in Ireland?

Most of the nation are alcoholics without even realising and think an obsessive amount to drink is normal. Myself included. Most go out to get flutered not to enjoy alcohol.

Are you seriously trying to say that its not more of an issue in Ireland?

How do you even measure that? Of course there's issues with mind altering substances, both legal and illegal here, but it's not just confined to here, you ll find it in every country on the planet, alcohol issues exist in every country, we re not alone in this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

2011 wrote: »
    Boards has at least a thread a week on which drugs should be legalized. Regardless of your opinion on the subject it has been done to death.
    Here we go again :pac:

Great input there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I don't understand why people need alcohol or any type of drugs in order to go out and enjoy them selves ,
    certain people and by the sounds of it ,every second person seems to need some simulatan to function in a social scene , it just shows how f**ked up society is and what a low self esteem these people really have that is hidden by their mask .
    God help any decent boy or girl who elects to meet a level headed ,supportive partner .
    sorry , addicts are not a stable attractive life I would choose for me nor my kids ,
    unfortunately this is the growing generation of druggies that are becoming the socially acceptable norm.
    no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

kerry cow wrote: »
    I don't understand why people need alcohol or any type of drugs in order to go out and enjoy them selves ,
    certain people and by the sounds of it ,every second person seems to need some simulatan to function in a social scene , it just shows how f**ked up society is and what a low self esteem these people really have that is hidden by their mask .
    God help any decent boy or girl who elects to meet a level headed ,supportive partner .
    sorry , addicts are not a stable attractive life I would choose for me nor my kids ,
    unfortunately this is the growing generation of druggies that are becoming the socially acceptable norm.
    no thanks

Plenty of people don’t drink or take any stimulant.
    This generation actually has less drinkers than any generation on record and also less smokers.
    I reckon it was your own generation that brought heroin to the market and destroyed half of Dublin and other major cities in Ireland.
    I think you need to have a look at some stats before you brand
    “this growing generation of druggies”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm on a bunch of prescription drugs so I don't even drink, but I have no issues with other people taking whatever they want if it's not causing trouble with others. If a drug is safer than alcohol I fail to see the issue. I say legalise the drugs that are relatively harmless and regulate them to keep them safe. It's a personal choice and I think they should be allowed to make it themselves. Quite a few judgemental types who I think are just looking for an excuse to feel superior. If they didn't have the drugs to point at they'd find something else to look down on people for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I used to have a fear of running out of drugs.

I tried all the main ones, Weed/Hash, Coke, Speed, E, Benzo's, Heroin, not LSD, but Mushrooms which I heard are basically very similar.

I smoked and snorted Heroin about half a dozen times, probably not as great as people make out to be but still pretty amazing. Other opiates I tried as well were Codeine, Tramadol, Methadone, Dihydrocodeine etc.. all have their own unique personalities .

Didn't do Crack but smoked freebase Coke which is basically the same thing as Crack. Meh. I probably wouldn't want to be around anyone on Coke unless I was on Coke myself.

Loved Benzo's, all sorts, Librium & Temazepam were my favourites, Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Dalmane & Niterazepam were very nice & relaxing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Yeah at least I'm attempting to contribute something revelant to the thread rather than pretending to be some no nonsense internet hard man

I contributed something, guess what happened, someone got so frustrated by the truth that he started name calling and criticizing punctuation. :pac:

I contributed something, guess what happened, someone got so frustrated by the truth that he started name calling and criticizing punctuation. :pac:

Nah mate. You started the sarcastic name calling - go back and check.

And no, I wasn't frustrated by the "truth" (ha) as you put it - I was frustrated by your caustic and exteremely condescending posting style despite you clearly only having a grasp of the basics of what we're discussing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Nah mate. You started the sarcastic name calling - go back and check.

And no, I wasn't frustrated by the "truth" (ha) as you put it - I was frustrated by your caustic and exteremely condescending posting style despite you clearly only having a grasp of the basics of what we're discussing here.

(1) stop moaning.

(2) what ive said here about the inherent danger of arbitrary dosage is unavoidable, and insurmountable.

If I was caustic its because I see the same Chubbaca defense tactics in every thread on the topic.

'You know without proper assessment you've no idea what that pill, pure or otherwise may do to you'.

'Yes, but you see, Endor right ... and thats why I should take pills'

The human ability to ignore what they know to be true when they realize it may threaten their pleasure really is a thing to behold.

Its like the obese and food. They eventually end up doing the 'fat is beautiful and natural' thing. But they know full well.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I indulge regularly in recreational drug abuse. I run into the local chemists and I swear at the cabinet storing the Paracetamol.

(Sounds funnier in Alexei Sayle's laconic delivery)

kerry cow wrote: »
    no thanks
    at least we can f**n spell

(1) stop moaning.

(2) what ive said here about the inherent danger of arbitrary dosage is unavoidable, and insurmountable.

If I was caustic its because I see the same Chubbaca defense tactics in every thread on the topic.

'You know without proper assessment you've no idea what that pill, pure or otherwise may do to you'.

'Yes, but you see, Endor right ... and thats why I should take pills'

The human ability to ignore what they know to be true when they realize it may threaten their pleasure really is a thing to behold.

Its like the obese and food. They eventually end up doing the 'fat is beautiful and natural' thing. But they know full well.

do you like anyone? just skinny sober people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

If theres only one dodgy/bad pill in a million...I guarantee that it would be ME that gets it and my corpse would become the new ‘say no to drugs’ posterboy!

There’s so much more to experience in the world than getting out of your head while putting your life at risk.

• Advertisement

at least we can f**n spell

Grammar nazis rcok!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hash- actually lovely not too intense lovely stone.

Weed - way too intense but I had some fun times, gladly don’t smoke either anymore as I think I may have over done it and my brain now says no.

Cocaine - Good, too expensive and really damaging to the organs, I feel mentally though it didn’t play any games with me. Very moreish all the same too addictive. Best off staying away.

Ecstasy - well, depending on the time or year it could have been a number of different things ingredients, my experience from one pill to the next has varied wildly. Deffo some good and some not so good buzzes.

MDMA crystals - tastes rank. But it is a good buzz much cleaner but then again I have done some lovely pills which beat mdma any day.

Ketamine- absolutely hilarious craic, can become intense though depending on the dosage. Dosage is important.

Heroin - no thanks

Mushrooms - would love to try.

Acid - lasts too long.

2cb - fun fun fun never laughed so much in my life, bit of a mouldy come down though.

Alcohol- my favourite but has gotten me in the most trouble of all the above. Another thing, alcohol come downs for me are sometimes the most mentally crushing things I’ve ever had to bare so I really feel alcohol can be seriously damaging mentally and maybe more so than coke (coke addicts not included).

Bath salts - vomit.

I’ve tried and tested a good bit. Dosage is the main thing. Be careful.
    Try and know where the drugs you are getting are coming from and Who’s along the network they come from.
    Tester kits!!!!!

Everyone in my opinion should try drugs but dosage and moderation are key.

And no my brain is not mush. The last few years I’ve actually felt sharper than ever and mentally exceptionally clear but maybe due to less alcohol and less of any of the above.

I had a bout of depression and extreme anxiety in my younger years for about a year but this was at the time I lost my mother and a massive change in my life happened.

Rarely do anything anymore. Getting a bit older now. Gladly still alive and relatively healthy. I like a drink at the weekend. But sometimes I won’t drink for weeks at a time depending on how I feel or how busy I am with work or whatever. Alcohol has a major negative effect on sleep.

Thanks for your endorsement of drug taking. Everybody should try them, should they? What do you base that opinion on and I'd really like if you deleted that sentence because there are impressionable teenagers on boards who are no doubt reading what sounds like a really sensible analysis of drugs and alcohol? Would you stand over that opinion of yours at their gravesides and there are fucking thousands of those gravesides in this country?

My son is in ICU on a ventilator getting over (maybe) yet another attempt to kill himself using the drugs that he once thought were great craic but trapped him in a terrible awful scary nightmare vicious circle of unending horror and sadness because he can't bear to be alive any more because of his lack of control in his life and feeling that he can never have a life like his friends who partied too when they were teens but seem to be going on to have a decent healthy anxiety-free life... oh except for the one that killed himself a couple of months back (that started with fucking drugs too). He's twenty one now. When he was sixteen he was on top of the world except for a bit of anxiety. In five fucking years he's destroyed himself.

Come and stand in front of me and tell me that you think everyone should try drugs. I'm part of everyone. Tell me I should try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Thanks for your endorsement of drug taking. Everybody should try them, should they? What do you base that opinion on and I'd really like if you deleted that sentence because there are impressionable teenagers on boards who are no doubt reading what sounds like a really sensible analysis of drugs and alcohol? Would you stand over that opinion of yours at their gravesides and there are fucking thousands of those gravesides in this country?

My son is in ICU on a ventilator getting over (maybe) yet another attempt to kill himself using the drugs that he once thought were great craic but trapped him in a terrible awful scary nightmare vicious circle of unending horror and sadness because he can't bear to be alive any more because of his lack of control in his life and feeling that he can never have a life like his friends who partied too when they were teens but seem to be going on to have a decent healthy anxiety-free life... oh except for the one that killed himself a couple of months back (that started with fucking drugs too). He's twenty one now. When he was sixteen he was on top of the world except for a bit of anxiety. In five fucking years he's destroyed himself.

Come and stand in front of me and tell me that you think everyone should try drugs. I'm part of everyone. Tell me I should try them.

I’m just giving my honest opinion and explaining the effects of different drugs.

Unfortunately you’ve felt the negative effects of drugs.
    And they do destroy lives unfortunately, my opinion offending you so much shows you have a lot of anger built up and probably need to speak to someone to help you cope with this awful thing you’ve had to endure.
    If for instance my brother died in a car crash tomorrow and my father got hit by a car I wouldn’t go around telling people not to drive cars. And I wouldn’t get offended by people telling other people they should try driving.
    Drugs are everywhere and nothing will change. People will take drugs and some people won’t.
    Some people will have negative effects.
    Most people won’t have negative effects.
    The same goes for alcohol and all the things in life that are “bad for you”.
    I’ll say it again, alcohol is worse than the whole lot because it’s so socially acceptable. I stand by my word, education is key and if people are undoubtably going to experiment at least do it right. Knowledge is power because we aren’t going to win the war on drugs in this lifetime.

Edit: I did remove the everyone should try them. A bit silly on my part. And apologies if I touched a nerve. Hopefully your son makes a recovery this time around and gets the help he needs.

thank fcuk i never took any illegal drug, id be fcuked now if i did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Well alcohol is much more common so as a whole doesn't say much about the actual risk

Its not that much more common. Certainly not enough to cause 1000 deaths per year vs 0 deaths per year.

I think you know you got this one massively wrong. To even compare them is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

I won't take drugs after a life changing experience when I was a kid in a primary school some 30 years ago;)

A man came to give us a speech. He worked in one of the "detox" facilities that also looked after people with HIV. It was in Poland, Monar was the charity and its leader was a true legend and charismatic hero.

He was dealing with drug addicts on a daily basis. From kids who sniffed the wood glue (butapren) to people injecting themselves with home made heroin made from poppy seeds plants (kompot). Most of them ended up with HIV either through sharing syringes/needles or through prostituting for drug money (girls). Most died prematurely, their bodies were permanently damaged.

He basically explained to us that the addiction can be translated like this (it varies between people but most sooner or later end up the same way):

Relation between cigs, alcohol and drugs is like 100 doses to 10 doses to 1 dose. He said that 1 dose of drug can make you an addict.

It may be contrary to what I read on this forum but I would rather believe the man who was working with addicts as a volunteer and made effort to come to us and tell the story.

I become a cig addict after about 5-10 packs, would not dare to even try drugs. I drink very little and make sure not regurarly.

I'm one of people who would get easily addicted.

Some people here have clear agenda and in fact it is a cultural shock for me that this kind of stuff is openly discussed in public. Like if it was totally acceptable. It's not and shouldn't be. My friend who was smoking hash in secondary school was ostracized by us. It was shameful to drug yourself, was perceived as sign of weakness and failed man/woman. He failed exams and was kicked out of school. I can't comprehend since when it become "normal" or a "done thing". Same with alcohol overuse or obesity as pointed out earlier.

Whoever does drugs, how about you go volunteering in a detox facility, might change your view.

Was in a cannabis club today on holidays. Apparently it's how it's done in Spain. Seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

St John's Injury Unit advertised on page 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I won't take drugs after a life changing experience when I was a kid in a primary school some 30 years ago;)

A man came to give us a speech. He worked in one of the "detox" facilities that also looked after people with HIV. It was in Poland, Monar was the charity and its leader was a true legend and charismatic hero.

He was dealing with drug addicts on a daily basis. From kids who sniffed the wood glue (butapren) to people injecting themselves with home made heroin made from poppy seeds plants (kompot). Most of them ended up with HIV either through sharing syringes/needles or through prostituting for drug money (girls). Most died prematurely, their bodies were permanently damaged.

He basically explained to us that the addiction can be translated like this (it varies between people but most sooner or later end up the same way):

Relation between cigs, alcohol and drugs is like 100 doses to 10 doses to 1 dose. He said that 1 dose of drug can make you an addict.

It may be contrary to what I read on this forum but I would rather believe the man who was working with addicts as a volunteer and made effort to come to us and tell the story.

I become a cig addict after about 5-10 packs, would not dare to even try drugs. I drink very little and make sure not regurarly.

I'm one of people who would get easily addicted.

Some people here have clear agenda and in fact it is a cultural shock for me that this kind of stuff is openly discussed in public. Like if it was totally acceptable. It's not and shouldn't be. My friend who was smoking hash in secondary school was ostracized by us. It was shameful to drug yourself, was perceived as sign of weakness and failed man/woman. He failed exams and was kicked out of school. I can't comprehend since when it become "normal" or a "done thing". Same with alcohol overuse or obesity as pointed out earlier.

Whoever does drugs, how about you go volunteering in a detox facility, might change your view.

Sounds like he's made things up just to scare you.

You won't get HIV if you don't use a needle at all. Heroin is just the brand name of Diamorphine wich is 1.5x times stronger than Morphine, these miracle drugs make it possible for people with cancer to live some sort of a normal & more comfortable life. The people who get HIV or get ****ed from making their own from poppy plants (wich sounds made up) usually don't seem to have a clue how dangerous sharing needles is, people get infections & blisters from street Heroin mixed with all kinds of ****, if your lucky in Ireland you might get Heroin that is 50% pure, usually it's around the 35% mark.
    And a lot of people who tried making their own drinks during prohabiton during the 1920s went blind from drinking it because they had no idea what they were doing, others made 100% proof whiskey because they also didn't know what they were doing & died after a couple of shots, like the strongest in Ireland is 38 or 40%.

Advertisement