Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of drugs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

shamrock55 wrote: »
    You don't drink either then do you

I've never seen any one my age ruin their lives with drink, compared to hash the risk from my experience is so much lower

Actually correction, in uni I can remember a few people who suffered from drink, but in total numbers the difference was huge

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Presumably for thrice sticking his fingers somewhere they shouldn't have been.

Three fingers once.

Some alright, but others were highly motivated, intelligent people who now work ****ty jobs and waste their days away

I dunno. I used to think similarly but by now, it feels like confirmation bias.

Some people are destined to wither away. The vast majority just get on with it. That could be confirmation bias as well, but the older I get, I see people around the same age as myself use drugs more responsibly.

Maybe it's the early twenties that are the danger zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I've never seen any one my age ruin their lives with drink, compared to hash the risk from my experience is so much lower

Actually correction, in uni I can remember a few people who suffered from drink, but in total numbers the difference was huge

In the population as a whole I think you'll find alcohol does far more damage than cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think you got it in one OP.

I've tried most drugs other than heroin and had only positive experiences. You haven't lived until you've seen the inside of your own head while on mushrooms.

That is illusory . created by the drugs. not reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Don't like the thought of snorting coke. Would never inject a drug, wouldn't trust mushrooms to be accurately picked and finally wouldn't take a pill off some randomer so my drugs have been nicotine, alcohol and weed. I only do alcohol these days. Weed is nice but makes me insanely hungry and it's hard getting back to a proper sleep routine once you don't have any to help you drift off. Now that I've given up the smokes for some time I can't really smoke weed as it's best mixed with tobacco imo and eating it isn't really the same as having a spliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've had the opposite experience. I've known plenty of alcoholics and many have had severe health problems arising from it. Some have even died. That's besides the violence and social problems that arise from it.

I've found the people who tend to lie around all day stoned and doing nothing are the type of people who would have done it anyway. Weed/Hash just made it easier and less boring.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Not knowing what's in what you're buying, not knowing the side effects, funding organised crime and the negative environmental impact of the production of many drugs. Just a couple of reasons. Not to mention that people who use cocaine are boring as ****, and the recreational cannabis smokers would melt your head talking about the medicinal uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't like the thought of snorting coke. Would never inject a drug, wouldn't trust mushrooms to be accurately picked and finally wouldn't take a pill off some randomer so my drugs have been nicotine, alcohol and weed. I only do alcohol these days. Weed is nice but makes me insanely hungry and it's hard getting back to a proper sleep routine once you don't have any to help you drift off. Now that I've given up the smokes for some time I can't really smoke weed as it's best mixed with tobacco imo and eating it isn't really the same as having a spliff.

I did mushrooms in amsterdam. Picked a strain that was weaker, just to try. I'd have no problem picking shrooms here. They're not hard to identify. However they are a very strong strain. that's why i tried them in amsterdam first.

It was an ok experience, and I don't think they're really for me.

Graces7 wrote: »

An important thing to remember about drugs is that they generally don't add to the brain. They alter how the brain produces certain things or blocks things.

So while it's not typical of a person's daily thoughts and lives, it is their brains doing the work to create these experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Of course but that's what drugs are. Reality is far more boring and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

In the population as a whole I think you'll find alcohol does far more damage than cannabis.

By quite a considerable margin.

The lazy stoner, all the massive potential stunted by manky soap bar myth. I'd day 90% of my peers coming up smoked joints. Most of them are now settled, good jobs, families etc.

A few alcoholics not going quite as well.

Also, who smokes hash ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

:eek:

What age are you?

I am 30, I know many more people who've had their lives ruined/damaged/fcuked up by drink than basically any other drug.., like infinitely more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Grayson wrote: »
    They're not hard to identify.

Just to point out that mushroom picking either for hallucinatory experiences or eating is considered an extreme sport.

Experienced people have died or been left with permanent kidney damage from picking and consuming wild mushrooms.

The only way to be sure, absolutely sure, is to do a spore print and look at it under a microscope.

Thinking you can identify by sight alone is both foolish and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Were you using your 8 year old as a snorting table again?

They were actually on the 5yo. He was the decoy;)

Balanadan wrote: »
    Not knowing what's in what you're buying, not knowing the side effects, funding organised crime and the negative environmental impact of the production of many drugs. Just a couple of reasons. Not to mention that people who use cocaine are boring as ****, and the recreational cannabis smokers would melt your head talking about the medicinal uses.

Literally all of these reasons derive from prohibition.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Lol? Is this guy claiming alcoholism is not one of the biggest problems in Ireland?

Well alcohol is much more common so as a whole doesn't say much about the actual risk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's only a few drugs I fear, and it's because these ones seem intent on causing harm while giving a high, ie: heroin, DMT, etc. The ones where your skin starts to fall away, or your body starts eating you away internally, that's just wrong, regardless of the effect. I can't understand why anyone would try them to begin with.

Another drug I fear, but I think I will try it some day, is LSD. The effects of it sound amazing to me, getting lost in your own thoughts, experiencing potentially vivid hallucinations, etc. But the fear of it comes from the stories of people who go mad on it, possibly due to over use. What most people have said about LSD is that you need to be in the right frame of mind, healthy mentally, otherwise it will attack your fears and insecurities, and I'm definitely note in a mental state right now to take that chance. Having tried salvia, the trip part is what makes me want to try actual LSD, but at least with salvia it's over 15 minutes later. Maybe I should work my way up, try mushies next!

But there is a fear out there, based on nothing but peoples arrogance of them. Cannabis is the prime example. I'm not starting a 'Cannabis iz grate, legalize it' thing here, but there's still so much misinformation out there about it that it's skewing the facts. Problem is, the 'die-hard' stoners who are demanding legalisation are part of the problem, along with people who are only going by word of mouth from people who've probably never even tried it. While the rest of the world is rightly legalising it, good ole Eire is dragging their heels while they try to figure out the best way to make money off it, imo.

Like any drug I've tried, I researched it before taking the plunge. MDMA, cannabis, cocaine, they're all actually harmless if used correctly. I've done them all, and i'm pretty sure I haven't done anything untoward because of it. I've had a couple of bad experiences, but that's the same with anything. Drink too much coffee and you'll get all jittery and can't relax.

Never really understood this line of thinking...just because an experience isn't "real" in the corporeal sense doesn't mean that it can't be an amazing, memorable, experience.

What about reading a brilliant book or listening to a piece of moving music?

In reality these are just shapes inked on paper in a certain order or different sounds arranged differently - it is our brains which interpret and attribute meaning and significance to these stimuli...just like it does during a great mushroom trip :p

• Advertisement

Never really understood this line of thinking...just because an experience isn't "real" in the corporeal sense doesn't mean that it can't be an amazing, memorable, experience.

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?...

Grayson wrote: »
    I've had the opposite experience. I've known plenty of alcoholics and many have had severe health problems arising from it. Some have even died. That's besides the violence and social problems that arise from it.

I've found the people who tend to lie around all day stoned and doing nothing are the type of people who would have done it anyway. Weed/Hash just made it easier and less boring.

I don't think I've met a pure alcoholic around my age (30) since uni, a few consistently heavy drinkers but they were always big into drugs too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

for what its worth i think if you're healthy and sensible why the hell would you need any drugs.
    imo only fools with no self respect indulge.

Literally all of these reasons derive from prohibition.

The law is the law.

It seems sad to me that people go through their whole lives without experiencing some form of transcendant state. I know there are dangers (depending on the individual and the drug) but in my experience the clichés about expanding your mind are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

My 8 year old got swabbed at airport security on the way home from holidays this week. He tested positive for drugs!

It was a scary experience as a parent. Thankfully someone with some sense said test him again using a different machine. He got the all clear.

Try explaining that to a kid!!

Maybe they have a habit your not aware of. Doubtful at that age but you'd never know. Hopefully it was just a faulty machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Education is key to all drug taking as in consuming a clean product.
    Street level gear could be anything but if legalized and developed in a safe controlled manner the risk of taking the majority of drugs would be greatly reduced (as long as people knew what a safe quantity was)

Balanadan wrote: »
    The law is the law.

So what?

When you used to be able to beat your wife all day and she couldn't leave that was The Law.

It doesn't say much that you haven't developed a sense of morality beyond believing what people tell you is right is right.

Laws can be arbitrarily written and passed based on the whims of legislators - they aren't some omniscient benevolent force.

To repeat myself from another thread currently ongoing:
    Legality ≠Morality

Education is key to all drug taking as in consuming a clean product.
    Street level gear could be anything but if legalized and developed in a safe controlled manner the risk of taking the majority of drugs would be greatly reduced (as long as people knew what a safe quantity was)

This is where our schooling system is really failing our kids - the education consists of "Just don't do it" and a load of rubbish scaremongering stories so that when people actually do eventually encounter drugs they haven't the slightest clue how to be safe; the amount of disinformation out there is shocking.

Remember when our sex education was much the same?
    Best way to have safe sex? - Just don't do it.

Stupid and shortsighted, it gives rise to more harm from drugs than it prevents.

• Advertisement

So what?

When you used to be able to beat your wife all day and she couldn't leave that was The Law.

It doesn't say much that you haven't developed a sense of morality beyond believing what people tell you is right is right.

Laws can be arbitrarily written and passed based on the whims of legislators - they aren't some omniscient benevolent force.

To repeat myself from another thread currently ongoing:
    Legality ≠Morality

So if you don't agree with the law, you can can choose not to obey the law, absolve yourself of any moral questions, support organised crime and the destruction of the environment?

Nobody said legality is the same as morality.

Advertisement