Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of drugs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hash- actually lovely not too intense lovely stone.

Weed - way too intense but I had some fun times, gladly don’t smoke either anymore as I think I may have over done it and my brain now says no.

Cocaine - Good, too expensive and really damaging to the organs, I feel mentally though it didn’t play any games with me. Very moreish all the same too addictive. Best off staying away.

Ecstasy - well, depending on the time or year it could have been a number of different things ingredients, my experience from one pill to the next has varied wildly. Deffo some good and some not so good buzzes.

MDMA crystals - tastes rank. But it is a good buzz much cleaner but then again I have done some lovely pills which beat mdma any day.

Ketamine- absolutely hilarious craic, can become intense though depending on the dosage. Dosage is important.

Heroin - no thanks

Mushrooms - would love to try.

Acid - lasts too long.

2cb - fun fun fun never laughed so much in my life, bit of a mouldy come down though.

Alcohol- my favourite but has gotten me in the most trouble of all the above. Another thing, alcohol come downs for me are sometimes the most mentally crushing things I’ve ever had to bare so I really feel alcohol can be seriously damaging mentally and maybe more so than coke (coke addicts not included).

Bath salts - vomit.

I’ve tried and tested a good bit. Dosage is the main thing. Be careful.
    Try and know where the drugs you are getting are coming from and Who’s along the network they come from.
    Tester kits!!!!!

Everyone in my opinion should try drugs but dosage and moderation are key.

And no my brain is not mush. The last few years I’ve actually felt sharper than ever and mentally exceptionally clear but maybe due to less alcohol and less of any of the above.

I had a bout of depression and extreme anxiety in my younger years for about a year but this was at the time I lost my mother and a massive change in my life happened.

Rarely do anything anymore. Getting a bit older now. Gladly still alive and relatively healthy. I like a drink at the weekend. But sometimes I won’t drink for weeks at a time depending on how I feel or how busy I am with work or whatever. Alcohol has a major negative effect on sleep.

Glad im not the only one regarding weed. Smoked alot it in my teenage years and wouldn't be able to enjoy it anymore. Makes me feel sick and anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Drugs are expensive ,addictive, you have to meet dealers to buy them.
    People have accidents while using drugs ,driving and some people become paranoid.
    If you are under 21 cannabis can have effects on your mental health .
    And it make reduce motivation to study or do any kind of work.
    People commit crime to get money to buy drugs.
    Overall drugs are not a good thing.
    I understand people can use cannabis for medical reasons ,
    it can have some positive propertys .
    look around the city centre , you,ll see groups of junkies,
    they don,t look good.
    Using hard drugs is not healthy ,
    and its expensive and it can take over your life .
    Some people have died from taking one or 2 e tablets .
    by buying drugs you are funding criminal gangs ,
    theres no legal way to buy them in ireland.
    i think in 10 years time i think there, ll be cannabis dispensarys
    like in America , in some states cannabis is legal ,
    people over 21 can buy it from a dispensary or get a permit from
    a doctor to buy medical cannabis .

I,m over 40,. i notice anything that happens in america seems to
    happen in ireland about 10-20 years later.
    when i was 18 there was no divorce, there was no legal way of buying
    condoms , or contraceptives in a chemist even for married couples .

I know some people who can smoke hash a few times a week ,

it doe,sn t seem to have a negative effect ,apart from making them a bit boring to talk to.
    But those people are over 30,
    its like someone having a few cans of beer .
    i,m not in favor of anyone using coke or any other hard drug.
    it doe,s not seem to effect their health ,no more than drinking
    beer do,es .
    There are some medical conditions where cannabis is the most effective treatment with fewer side effects than conventional drugs .

There are very many reasons to fear drugs .
    People do not commit crimes in order to get money to buy
    smarties or chocolate .
    I don,t think anyone under 21 should use any drugs, that is when you are most vunerable ,you are still forming your personality .

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

greencap wrote: »
    And if you have a degree in physics will it mean that cliff edges are no longer dangerous.

starting to sound like you needed it

of course i am, its common sense, you don't need a qualification.

yes in your rambling digressive, obfuscating, mealy mouthed waffle fest.

and do we have fuking standardized procedures and dosage regimens for street drugs.

no. we don't. genius.

so my initial point stands.

Why do people without formal education or qualifications always argue inane ****e at people who do?

Everything you’ve said is easily refuted (for MDxx analogs and PMMA).

Your ‘point’ (as usual with people who dont really know what theyre talking about) is really just a war of pedantry. Wordplay to get the zinger, but its all crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Glad im not the only one regarding weed. Smoked alot it in my teenage years and wouldn't be able to enjoy it anymore. Makes me feel sick and anxious.

Weed is too strong. I no longer understand how people smoke it. I understand the different strains have different effects but it’s all just too intense. Believe me I have a few mates who used to love smoking growing up through their teens early 20’s we all did it together and laughed so so much and making great memories but most of us myself included just can’t anymore it’s too much. Makes me super paranoid. Depends totally on the person though.
    The thing about weed is though I can see how it has negative mental effects on people. I honestly don’t believe it’s as simple as just legalising. If kids got their hands on weed at such a young age when the mind isn’t fully developed god knows the mental issues it could cause entering adulthood. It does piss me off seeing all these videos of how it’s a miraculous life saving godly medication.
    The internet is pushing this and it’s not good.
    Maybe strictly for medical conditions should it be available as an oil or a cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Again it all comes down to each to their own.

As previously stated i smoked alot of weed in my 15-18 teenage years. When i stopped i felt as if id been living under a rock. It killed lots of brain cells and left me anxious and paranoid and i cant really smoke it at all anymore without recouping these feelings.

Then again still have friends who can smoke it everyday or two and it doesn't affect them negatively in the slightest.

Same again.. My cousin and I used to take ecstasy frequently for a certain time. Used to it anyway. And one night at a party which was a regular thing for us he dropped on the ground and started having a seizure/fit.. Kicking and screaming like an animal. Taken away in an ambulance.

He continued to take ecstasy and has been fine ever since. Drugs are weird...

I agree with the above post. Im not for cannabis legislation. I believe it makes people lazy.. Stupid.. Etc.

• Advertisement

Again it all comes down to each to their own.

As previously stated i smoked alot of weed in my 15-18 teenage years. When i stopped i felt as if id been living under a rock. It killed lots of brain cells and left me anxious and paranoid and i cant really smoke it at all anymore without recouping these feelings.

Then again still have friends who can smoke it everyday or two and it doesn't affect them negatively in the slightest.

Same again.. My cousin and I used to take ecstasy frequently for a certain time. Used to it anyway. And one night at a party which was a regular thing for us he dropped on the ground and started having a seizure/fit.. Kicking and screaming like an animal. Taken away in an ambulance.

He continued to take ecstasy and has been fine ever since. Drugs are weird...

I agree with the above post. Im not for cannabis legislation. I believe it makes people lazy.. Stupid.. Etc.

Drugs are dangerous full stop. But it’s not going to stop people from taking them. Knowledge is key. You’ll always get people who party too hard. And whether it’s drugs or drink that kills them it’s because they have been irresponsible and gone overboard. Unfortunately with young people they can think they are invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Why do people without formal education or qualifications always argue inane ****e at people who do?

Everything you’ve said is easily refuted (for MDxx analogs and PMMA).

Your ‘point’ (as usual with people who dont really know what theyre talking about) is really just a war of pedantry. Wordplay to get the zinger, but its all crap.

It's been refuted that individual people have differing reactions to any given kind of drug, legal or illegal?

It's been refuted that only professionals should prescribe pharmaceuticals?

It seems to me that you're just stuck on the same track saying 'mdma is ok' over and over again.

I'm sure you can easily refute things I didn't say, but you cannot refute what I did say, because I am right and you are wrong.

Maybe MDMA is ok, for you, for me, and for the next guy.

But if people vary so widely as to result in some people being able to die of a peanut, then why exactly do you think the same situation can't apply to a pure MDMA pill, let alone the more normal street yoke which is probably adulterated with all sorts of fillers.

TL:DR; You don't know that you're not going to react badly to one of the ingredients, or one of the quantities, in a given e tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I've never seen any one my age ruin their lives with drink, compared to hash the risk from my experience is so much lower

Actually correction, in uni I can remember a few people who suffered from drink, but in total numbers the difference was huge

Your not looking right, I'm surrounded by them

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Your not looking right, I'm surrounded by them

I’d have to agree here. A few of my mates here that seemed like they were messed up because of smoking all the time usually snapped out of it. Some later than others (late 20’s)
    Whereas the drinkers are still drinking because drinking is harder to escape I suppose, particularly in Ireland.

who cares.

this is how it is.

Whoa I better be careful, didn't realise Rambo had his own boards account :eek:
    if you have an issue with why things are how they are, then go tell it to someone who cares.

You're so right John. If only there was some kind of discussion board or something like that existed where I could go and talk to other people who would also like to discuss this issue... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Maybe they have a habit your not aware of. Doubtful at that age but you'd never know. Hopefully it was just a faulty machine

He likes Sherbert powders. 🀣

Whoa I better be careful, didn't realise Rambo had his own boards account :eek:

You're so right John. If only there was some kind of discussion board or something like that existed where I could go and talk to other people who would also like to discuss this issue... :rolleyes:

reduced to name calling, roll eyes and sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

When bought on the street? It just makes me uneasy, I mean how exactly are you supposed to know what it is you're buying? Either pills or powder can easily be 'cut' with other substances. And I'm pretty sure (although I could stand corrected on this) that even pure MDMA is known to be neurotoxic to serotonin producing neurons, although this might just be at extreme dosages or for people who forget to take measures regarding hydration and not getting too hot?

Get yourself some marquis reagent for testing your MDMA and you're good to go
    https://dancesafe.org/shop/

Should you go ahead with it (really strongly advise it if you're on the fence, will probably be one of the most amazing experiences of your life) please have a good look through this harm reduction website https://rollsafe.org/ - clean MDMA is actually a very safe drug, but obviously like all drugs should be treated with respect.

Do those reagents test for PMA and so on? If they don't and only test positive for the presence of MDMA which I am guessing is the way it works as its not a purity test, is endorsement a good idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

reduced to name calling, roll eyes and sarcasm.

eyes'd be rolling allright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

Hobosan wrote: »
    There's a good song on Barney the Dinosaur about struggling with fear. The general idea is that once you take the drugs, you realise it isn't as scary as your imagination let's on.

Though on Barney the song applied to things like the dentist and spiders, the idea of the song definitely applies to people in fear of drugs too.

My fear of drugs is non-existent.

Were you on drugs when you wrote this? :pac:

And more worryingly, are you currently in charge of looking after some kids in your drugged up state?

I've always considered myself to be a few steps ahead of the rest of society when it comes to drug use. I recognised very early on, that there are no drugs out there that actually deliver what they seem to promise... and they all come with side effects and negative consequences, so why should I waste my time with them? :D

It amazes me how many apparently intelligent people, seem convinced that they can escape to some magical drug induced world in their head if they just take the right drug/cocktail of drugs... I guess in the absence of this elusive "perfect drug", people will just desperately cling to anything they can get their hands on that delivers something remotely close to this!

The only thing I can say on this, is that quite a lot of people's standards are very low in society... hence why you have fully grown adults stumbling around on a friday night, so wasted that they don't even remember where they live or what day it is! :pac:

eyes'd be rolling allright

junkies roll their eyes too. maybe theyre right.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Nice one, deliberately misconstruing what I've said - I don't believe you're interested in having an intellectually honest discussion here but I actually have some manners so I'll persist and see can I engage with what you're purportedly saying.

As I said initially, legality and morality are not the same thing.

NO one cannot absolve oneselve of the legal implications of drug use if they are caught with illegal drugs.

YES they can absolve themselves from the moral question - there is nothing inherently morally reprehensible in consuming one substance to another, yes even if it is illegal. It's circular reasoning to cite drug dealers profiting etc as examples of why drugs are morally bad as these reasons derive directly from their designation as illegal.

Finally, I have addressed points you've made "The law is the law" and other such hardhitting gems, it's right there in the thread look for yourself.

Now, have you actually anything substantive to add to the discussion? (maybe we shouldn't be having this discussion at all though, as you pointed out drugs are illegal, so even talking about them is probably wrong) .

The issues surrounding recreational drugs are well known. They're not a necessity, so whether you agree with the law or not you can’t really absolve yourself of the implications if you choose to indulge, particularly in cases where one financially supports organised crime and the destruction of the environment.

And for a third time, legality and morality are not the same thing.

Balanadan wrote: »
    The issues surrounding recreational drugs are well known. They're not a necessity, so whether you agree with the law or not you can’t really absolve yourself of the implications if you choose to indulge, particularly in cases where one financially supports organised crime and the destruction of the environment.

And for a third time, legality and morality are not the same thing.

Would you support the legalisation of homegrown for personal use only?

Would you support the legalisation of homegrown for personal use only?

This only addresses the organised crime element, what about the problem of having a drug culture in society?

Laws don't exist merely to keep us safe from criminals, they also sometimes exist to keep society safe from our own weaknesses! ;)

This only addresses the organised crime element, what about the problem of having a drug culture in society?

Laws don't exist merely to keep us safe from criminals, they also sometimes exist to keep society safe from our own weaknesses! ;)

Doesn't matter much when those same laws don't stop people from taking drugs, they just add personal risk due to cutting and an income stream for criminals.

Laws are fine and good when they work. But one has to step back and re-evaluate when they have been shown to have done absolutely nothing but harm.

Can't stop human nature.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter much when those same laws don't stop people from taking drugs, they just add personal risk due to cutting and an income stream for criminals.

Laws are fine and good when they work. But one has to step back and re-evaluate when they have been shown to have done absolutely nothing but harm.

Can't stop human nature.

The current laws do actually act as a pretty good deterrent for most people.

For example, most people will not attempt to grow their own weed in their basement, garage or greenhouse etc. Even if they thought they could get away with it, most people won't risk it... they would not want the public shame of being arrested and getting a criminal record. They might still smoke some at a party, but might never become a habitual user because they'll never have easy access unlike in another area of the world where it's legal to grow.

So "you can't stop human nature"... true... but you can keep things in moderation, with sensible laws.

The current laws do actually act as a pretty good deterrent for most people.

For example, most people will not attempt to grow their own weed in their basement, garage or greenhouse etc. Even if they thought they could get away with it, most people won't risk it... they would not want the public shame of being arrested and getting a criminal record. They might still smoke some at a party, but might never become a habitual user because they'll never have easy access unlike in another area of the world where it's legal to grow.

So "you can't stop human nature"... true... but you can keep things in moderation, with sensible laws.

Homegrown imo wouldn't increase the number of smokers. It would give the habitual smokers a safer and more ethical way of doing it.

I don't even have a problem with people smoking. I do have a problem with the overly strong strains that they get because of lack of choice. It's likely why I started to hate it.

Homegrown imo wouldn't increase the number of smokers. It would give the habitual smokers a safer and more ethical way of doing it.

I don't even have a problem with people smoking. I do have a problem with the overly strong strains that they get because of lack of choice. It's likely why I started to hate it.

I disagree. I think if you make something like weed easier to access, and relatively cheap to grow... then it will inevitably increase the amount of users and the amount of problem users who can't control themselves.

I agree you will never stop people from taking drugs, but having no laws is not the answer either. The vast majority of recreational drug users are not inclined towards criminality. But this is why sensible drug laws are a good thing... most people respect the law, even if they find it annoying or inconvenient to their life at times. But you also need sensible law enforcement for these laws... and in most case we do have that.

Once you have a drug culture / epidemic in a city or country, it's very difficult to reverse that trend... so we should be very careful about legalising highly addictive drugs.

I disagree. I think if you make something like weed easier to access, and relatively cheap to grow... then it will inevitably increase the amount of users and the amount of problem users who can't control themselves.

I agree you will never stop people from taking drugs, but having no laws is not the answer either. The vast majority of recreational drug users are not inclined towards criminality. But this is why sensible drug laws are a good thing... most people respect the law, even if they find it annoying or inconvenient to their life at times. But you also need sensible law enforcement for these laws... and in most case we do have that.

Once you have a drug culture / epidemic in a city or country, it's very difficult to reverse that trend... so we should be very careful about legalising highly addictive drugs.

I guess we have differing opinions on cannabis. It's nigh on impossible to get the perfect policy but I definitely think the current one has room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I've never really had a fear of trying anything. I've tried most drugs bar heroin. It was just curiosity that made me try them. My favourite has to be MDMA, not in pill form, but the "pure" (obviously not 100% pure) MDMA. Great high and no comedown.

No come down? Hahahaha

No come down? Hahahaha

It's true. Pills were a mess but powder mdma was great. Up and down and into bed. Don't know if the quality is the same as it was back then, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If we could make huge money off selling soft drugs we should I think. Take the money out of the hands of criminals and the black market and put it into our health service. The amount of money spent on medical card holding addicts must be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Undividual wrote:
    Had a couple of conversations recently about drugs and am just curious what it is about drugs that prevent people trying them? I understand fearing a loss of control or full on addiction.

My mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's true. Pills were a mess but powder mdma was great. Up and down and into bed. Don't know if the quality is the same as it was back then, though.

The comedown is less harsh than pills but it's not like acid or anything that's the only thing I've ever taken with zero comedown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The comedown is less harsh than pills but it's not like acid or anything that's the only thing I've ever taken with zero comedown

Agree.

The psychs are the only drug class I've ever been into. Very valuable when treated with the respect they deserve. I can understand why people can fear them though.

I used to wonder how my depression lifted for a few weeks after taking mushrooms when I was in my twenties, not knowing much about them. So the new research comes to no surprise to me.

Psilocybin is a wonderful substance, but commands respect. It's no party drug.

Advertisement